Start by marking “Yankee Magazine's Living Well on a Shoestring: 1,501 Ingenious Ways to Spend Less for What You Need and Have More for What You Want” as Want to Read:

3.04 of 5 stars 3.04  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  10 reviews

In Living Well on a Shoestring, you'll find more than 1,500 practical money-saving techniques for every aspect of your life, from getting out of debt and finding money for retirement to decorating on a budget and cutting pet-care costs. The penny-pinching editors of Yankee magazine know firsthand that you can learn to live well while staying well within your means. And now
Published December 1st 2000 by Yankee Books (first published August 9th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Yankee Magazine's Living Well on a Shoestring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yankee Magazine's Living Well on a Shoestring

HeavyReader
Well, I got this book for free during the give away time after the Friends of the Public Library book sale. That tickles me, since it is a book about saving money, and I didn't spend any money on it. Ha!

This book does include some good tips, but it is no Tightwad Gazette.

Each tip is short, usually a paragraph or less, and each one has a "clever" heading that is usually not so clever. I found the headings often misleading and usually distracting.

I am going to donate this right back to the Friends
Little
This is the worst kind of thrifty book. As with most books of its ilk, it is filled with a ton of little money saving ideas, and the general thesis of the book is never stated outright. But if you pay attention as you read, you can generally come up with a coherent idea that informs all of the "tips." For a comparison, the thesis of The Complete Tightwad Gazette might be "Do the math." You're encouraged to think about the cost of every decision and really crunch the numbers to decide if it's a g ...more
Hava
Jun 20, 2008 Hava rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Thrifty people, only if they don't have anything else to read!
I picked up Living Well on a Shoestring: 1,501 Ingenious Ways to Spend Less and Have More by Yankee Magazine on a whim. I tend to like “how to live thrifty” books, and am always looking for a new money saving tip. I’ve already reviewed America’s Cheapest Family and I have several similar books in the queue... Click here to continue
Summer
Oct 04, 2007 Summer rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who are totally retarded with money and saving
Being one with champagne taste and a beer budget, I thought this would be full of helpful hints on how to better do that. Half of the stuff mentioned in the book I already apply to my life and the other half would require me to be a very handy dumster diver (which I am not... usually).
Dee
I liked this book overall, but many of the hints are quick fixes that I wouldn't do. You need to read the book and then REMEMBER, the hard part what all those little tips are and use the book for reference. It has spent more time on my shelf than in my hands.
Rebecka
fair book, but i wouldn't do all their ideas. I wanted to give it a two and a half star not 3, because i really wouldn't care to read it again but my nook would only do solid stars. Tightwad gazette was definately better then this one.
Amy
Loaded with easy and imaginative ways to save money around the home. And living in a cost inflated area, it's really useful.
Orcalla23
Has a lot of really great money saving ideas and some that are rather surprising too!
Jeanne
Collection of frugal tips. This is not as useful as some books of this genre.
The House
Nov 25, 2008 The House is currently reading it
Recommends it for: everyone who wants to save money
Excellent source of information
Amy Heidenreich
Amy Heidenreich marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Heather R. Woodin
Heather R. Woodin marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Miss M
Miss M marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Sherri
Sherri marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Angell
Angell marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Rahul Shrivastava
Rahul Shrivastava marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Epicurus
Epicurus marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Melissa Zavala
Melissa Zavala marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Yankee Magazine's Pantyhose, Hot Peppers, Tea Bags, and More-for the Garden: 1,001 Ingenious Ways to Use Common Household Items to Control Weeds, Beat Pests, Cook Compost, Solve Problems, Make Tricky Jobs Easy, and Save Time 1,001 Old-Time Household Hints: Timeless Bits of Household Wisdom for Today's Home and Garden Yankee Magazine's New England Innkeeper's Cookbook Yankee Magazine's Church Suppers & Potluck Dinners: Cookbook Yankee Magazine's Now That's Ingenious