Start by marking “Hourglass” as Want to Read:

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  18 reviews
When Ben Adler gives into his young daughter's demands to make a movie out of a TV show he used to produce, he knows he's going to have problems. One of the leads from the original is a big star now, but the other's vanished into obscurity, leading a life far from the glitz and glamour of Hollywood. And Ben can still remember how the two actors' scorching secret off-screen ...more
Published December 22nd 2010 by Torquere Press

To ask other readers questions about Hourglass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hourglass

Ten years after Ash chooses his career over his lover Lee he gets an unexpected second chance at love. Is he up to the challenge of convincing the man whose heart he broke all those years ago to forgive him and give them another shot at love?

Hourglass is a very interesting story with three pretty distinct threads running through it. The story starts with Ben, a superpower in Hollywood but just a doting Dad when it comes to his daughter Samantha. When Samantha sees the videos for an old TV show a
Very good m/m romance about a Hollywood producer whose 11-year old daughter falls in love with his tv series Hourglass, which only lasted two seasons, ten years ago. Under pressure, he agrees to make a follow-up movie, then has to get the estranged stars to agree to be in it... and hope that they'll get over hating each other and recapture some of their previous chemistry.
I like Jane Davitt's books and this had been on my TBR pile for far too long!

The story is about a famous producer who is asked by his daughter to produce a movie of his very first TV series, Hourglass. The series was quite popular but ended when the star of the show, Ash, went onto bigger and better things. The co-star, Lee, disappeared into obscurity. Ash and Lee were lovers but Ash dumped Lee for his career and lives firmly in closet. When the pair are reunited the attraction is as strong as e
After first read-through, I'm a bit divided on how I feel about this story. On the one hand, I enjoyed it from beginning to end, but on the other I felt a little regret that the two lead characters didn't shine as much as the side characters.

I really like Jane Davitt's writing voice and this book is no exception. Although stories about actors/celebrities and the media are not usually my cup of tea, I still bought "Hourglass" on the strength of loving Jane's previous work. I'm glad I took the ri
Erin (PT)
I'd been really delighted with the previous outing I'd read from Davitt (Bound and Determined, cowritten with Alexa Snow) and I was quite looking forward to Hourglass, but instead, it was an incredible disappointment and an incredibly difficult read for so short a book. I'm a little amazed, because Davitt is a talented author and I honestly didn't expect something that read so much like (bad) fanfic with the serial numbers only lightly filed off. I'm not even sure where to start.

First of all, th
A beautiful story about interrupted love.

When ten years ago Ash and Lee co-starred in Hourglass, a B-list sci-fi TV series, they became lovers. The show, directed by the famous Ben Adler, ran for 2 seasons. At the end of the 2nd season, however, Ash accepted an offer to star in a movie that took him to Vancouver. When Lee asked to go with him, Ash refused to take him because he was afraid that people would find out about him being gay. It broke Lee's heart completely. They were separated, and H
A.B. Gayle
Have you ever picked up a book, started reading it and gone WTF? Hourglass did that for me.
I bought it purely because I love Jane Davitt's writing (possibly the ones she writes by herself more than the ones with Alexa). I didn't read the blurb first and found Ben - the guy whose POV the first chapter is written in - frankly obnoxious. Then Samantha his daughter arrived on the scene....
Now, I'm not one to stop reading because of unlikeable characters and have even rated books higher if the author
This is a book to turn to when you're looking for something different. Yes, it has the actors/movie-making stuff, but the set-up is unique, and the characters of Ben - the producer/director - along with his daughter give the story life and complexity beyond the norm. The book is well-written, the characters are well-drawn and a few surprises along the way keep you wanting more. I also enjoyed the bits of t.v/movie script that begin each chapter.
Ack, trying to write a review on a book I read a couple weeks ago during the peak of a deadline at work and trying to remember what I thought about it aint easy. I am becoming a fan of this author, one of the friends in my GR circle made a comment I completely agree with (wish I could remember who said it) that there is nothing better than discovering an author who ‘does it’ for you. Just the way they write connects with you, and I think this author does. Having said that, this is not my favorit ...more
From beginning to end, Hourglass is an engrossing read. I love 'coming out' stories, and this hits that trope perfectly. Former lovers and television co-stars Ash and Lee struggle toward reconciliation after being apart for ten years because Ash had feared that revealing he was gay would kill his career. These men might have been separated for a decade but that doesn’t mean they forgot about one another for one moment. Their journey back to each other is filled with epic fights, misunderstanding ...more
Another great read by Jane Davitt. I think what I like about this book is that the characters are so real. They live their lives, make mistakes, but keep on going. Life goes on, but that doesn't mean they don't have regrets.

This story is about getting a second chance. For Ben, to make his daughter happy, he is willing to make this movie, to bring back to life on the screen one of the toughest periods in this life.

For Ash, who walked away to further his own career, it's a chance to try and make
A story (the romance), within a story (the TV series), within a story (the movie). I can't imagine the skill it takes to do this, hats off to you, Ms. Davitt.

The relationship between the main characters was totally believable, with each of them pointing out the good, the bad and the ugly of the other. It's refreshing and original to see stereotypes broken down, left, right, and center. The secondary characters are vital to the story, at times becoming key to it. Nobody seemed to like Ben in the
Li-li Smith
It was wow. Not what I was expecting despite knowing it was by Jane Davitt. Her books are always deep feeling even if they plot and the characters never seem to go deep into themselves. Maybe that is why. It was a good read, and definitely something that is in my favorites on my kindle and will be a re-read for a sad day.
I like Davitt's narrative voice, and I'm sloooowly working my way through her back catalog.

Unfortunately, I read this long enough ago that I don't really remember which details I liked or didn't. I did like the parallel TV plot/Real Life plot conceit. And I'll be reading more of Davitt's books. :-)
It's a problem when you love more the secondary personages (Ben and Sam) than the MC.

The ending, with the homophobic guy was too unrealistic for me.
ELoisa R
el comienzo me gusto mucho, pero en mi opinion muy rapido le perdono Lee a ASh un poco rencorosa parece jaja
pero entretenido igual
Loved Ben while only liked Ash and Lee, the protagonists, so... 3.5 stars more like.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Dani marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Elisa Rolle
Elisa Rolle marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Zoe added it
Mar 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Settling the Score
  • Carol of the Bellskis (Bellskis, #1)
  • Blinded By Our Eyes
  • Great Restorations
  • Velvet Dragon (A Velvet Glove Novel)
  • With The Band
  • Winner Takes All
  • Beyond Reckless
  • Bonding (Himiko, #1)
  • Second Time Lucky (A Middleton Romance #2)
  • Jump First
  • Mandarin Orange: Sweet and Sour (Fruit Basket, #3)
  • Electric Melty Tingles
  • Resistance
  • Twice-Caught (Tarin's World, #2)
  • Full Disclosure (Hollywood #3)
  • Amor En Retrogrado (Bill Turner, #1)
  • Life in Chaos
When I was eight I decided to write a book. I found a notebook, scribbled a few hundred words about triplets with improbable names, and lost interest. Three decades later I still wanted to write a book, but the dim realization dawned that meant I had to actually, well, write something.

Yes, it surprised me too.

So I did. Not about triplets, but love, angst, hot and spicy smut, and for the most part
More about Jane Davitt...