Start by marking “Dead Line (Liz Carlyle, #4)” as Want to Read:
Dead Line (Liz Carlyle, #4)

Dead Line (Liz Carlyle #4)

MI5 Officer Liz Carlyle returns in a powerfully suspenseful, psychologically riveting thriller to diffuse a terrorist plot.

As plans get under way for a Middle East peace conference at the Gleneagles resort in Scotland, MI5 Intelligence Officer Liz Carlyle is summoned to a meeting with her boss, who has just received an alarming tip: two individuals are mounting an operati
Published June 28th 2011 by Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (first published January 11th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Line

Roderick Hart
This book is a thriller based on the British security service MI5. It is the fourth in a series dealing with the exploits of Liz Carlyle and is written by Stella Rimington, who ran MI5 in a previous existence. For this reason reviewers like to state that the books are realistic since the author knows the service from the inside. Which may or may not be true - but they cannot know without having been on the inside themselves.

Some reviews include mild complaints to the effect that the plots are a
Kirsty
Jul 18, 2014 Kirsty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kindle, read-in-2014
To say I struggled to finish this book would be an understatement. Many a time I got tempted to just ditch it, however I really dislike doing that. I would love to say that I was glad I stuck with it, but I am sad to say it didn't get any better. I had a slight glimpse of hope in the last 50 pages or so that things were getting interesting, but then it just died back off to dull narrative.

I really dislike leaving a negative review of any book, and always try to write something positive about ev
Michael Martz
Aug 05, 2016 Michael Martz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Dead Line', the 4th in Stella Rimington's Liz Carlyle series, is a tricky one. The British secret service is made aware of the potential for the disruption of an international conference in Scotland, and from there it becomes a sometimes tedious search for the who, what, when, where, and why.

As with her prior novels, Ms. Rimington provides great descriptions of tradecraft and the inner workings of both the security services and the political atmosphere surrounding them. What I most enjoy about
Any Length
I did not like this book at all. No stars at all.
It was too slow moving, the chapters felt stilted and the back ground painted by the author for each scene felt false and unreal. The characters didn't feel right either. Peggy who was supposed to be a whiz with computers was more concerned with cooking a meal at the time of big pressure leading up to the conference. The background given to some of the other characters also felt "made up" and not natural. The plot was way too slow and all the chap
Kate Neilan
Mar 04, 2012 Kate Neilan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Liz Carlyle is in Counter Terrorism, at MI5. She's good at it, too. She's logical, methodical but also intuitive; she's learned to trust her instincts in her previous few cases, and that includes her relationships with coworkers.

Her immediate superior is Charles Wetherby; his wife is terminally ill so whatever might have been between them is dismissed by Liz as an impossibility. There's also the rakish scoundrel Geoffrey Fane, who always plays fair at work but nowhere else. Peggy is Liz's faithf
Henri Moreaux
I was drawn to this book by the blurb, it sounded like the basis for an exciting spy thriller. Sadly, whilst this book has the elements of an exciting spy thriller, it is far from such.

The narrative it at times rather dry and the plot isn't unique in terms of the method of getting to the climax, it's merely a rehash of the methods of a hundred other spy movies & books implemented in a way that makes you feel drowsy.

It's set in Britain so predictably there is no gun play, but there's also no
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
Dead Line is the fourth Stella Rimington novel centred on MI5 intelligence officer Liz Carlyle. However it can also be enjoyed as a stand-alone novel. I was somewhat disappointed by Rimington's last novel, Illegal Action, but with Dead Line she's back on form. This is a fast and enjoyable read.

The story centres on a plot to disrupt an upcoming Middle Eastern peace conference to be held at Gleneagles. It's an immediately intriguing storyline that quickly becomes complex, with many disparate threa
Valerie Andrews
Nov 24, 2015 Valerie Andrews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't get enough of Stella Rimington's Liz Carlyle, a smart and spunky MI5 agent who juggles personal and professional intrigue with humanity and intelligence. As I finish one book, I eagerly anticipate the next one.

As the Israelis and Syrians prepare to sit down at a peace conference in Scotland with other world leaders determined to hammer out some type of accord, intelligence and counter-terrorism agencies work to ensure a peaceful conference. But a dead body in a church, a strangely-dresse
Pgchuis
May 26, 2016 Pgchuis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#4 in the series and this time Liz is trying to prevent a Middle East peace conference to be held at Gleneagles from being derailed. Lots of double dealing involving Mossad, Syria, the CIA etc and it all got a bit convoluted. The conversation at the end between Liz and her CIA counterpart, where they methodically explain the loose ends to each other was a bit clunky, but perhaps necessary. The Gleneagles setting was well described.

The "love triangle" between Charle, Joanne and Liz seems finally
Tim Byron
Brief Chapters - not enough space to do serious character development - doesn't really gather momentum - no desire to read any more of the series
Carolyn Gwin
I'll probably finish the series but can't whole heartedly recommend to other spy/thriller book lovers. The author's background gives her novels huge credibility but so far her story lines are coming up short.
Jeff Crosby
Aug 14, 2010 Jeff Crosby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionage, 2010
Clever, well paced counter espionage tale. The book is not particularly suspenseful, but it has strong, interesting characters. The plot is effectiely driven by procedure.
Rachel England-Brassy
Below par
Kay Rollison
Dame Stella Rimington is Chair of the judges for this year’s Man Booker Prize. She is a former Director General of MI5, Britain’s counter-espionage agency. She has written an autobiography called Open Secret, which apparently doesn’t give any away, and spy stories featuring Liz Carlyle, also of MI5. Since she will be judging writing, I thought I’d see how she goes about it herself.

Dead Line, published in 2008, is the fourth in the series. A Middle East peace conference is to be held at Gleneagle
Mike
Oct 23, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I picked this book up without knowing the author or any of her works. As a result, I found that it is at least a second book in a series using a continuing cast of characters. A condition I run into more often that one might suppose, not through laziness, but the desire to "select and go" - usually quickly. And so, I find someone whose work I like and could have started with book #1, but don't. (The Cece Caruso mystery series is another recent example.)

Usually this does not detract from my enjoy
Joe Robles
Jun 12, 2011 Joe Robles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrew
The fourth book in the Liz Carlyle series. This one is focussed around some sort of terrorist attack which is planned on a Middle East peace conference which is due to take place in Gleneagles, Scotland. For my review of the previous book in the series which was slow to start, I used a sporting analogy. To continue this theme I would have to describe the start of this book as being like Usain Bolt out of the blocks.

The pace of the story and the constantly changing answer to the question: Who is
Cookie1
Nov 30, 2014 Cookie1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It twisted and turned all over the place. Deciding who was a 'goodie' or a 'baddie' was difficult at times. The gathering at Gleneagles in Scotland was more or less the basis for this story. Everything was woven around this. Liz Carlisle was a very believable character as were others involved in her business.
I had my suspicions about Peggy for a while, I will not say if they were justified or not as I don't wish to spoil the story.
An excellent read.
Joan
Feb 21, 2015 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one but not quite as much as I liked the first three. Frankly, I found this one a bit confusing and had a hard time remembering exactly who was part of which organization and who was working for whom. Of course, such confusion turned out to be the whole point of the story; so I guess it's not surprising that I was confused.
Craig Shier
Jul 03, 2011 Craig Shier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read from an authority on MI5.
Sketchy information, accidental relationships and interplay between UK and US intelligence services engage the reader in the effort to uncover a threat to a mid-east peace conference. Main characters are well drawn and sympathetic. Tense situations are presented so as to maintain interest throughout the story. The author has fun with the reader as well, not every bang or flash of light is a threat. The end is satisfying insofar as the mystery is concer
David Gill
My first Stella Rimington, and I will read more.
I found this book a bit complicated, in that you never knew who was about to do what to whom. But then again neither did our heroine.
Cathy
Mar 08, 2014 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-reads, thriller
This is the second Liz Carlyle book I've read and to be honest it was a bit of a let-down. The story was a little confusing at times and for a so-called experienced officer, Carlyle seems quite naïve, i.e. venturing into situations without back-up or not noticing signs of potential threats that must be part of any officer's training.
Chrys Matthews
Worthwhile read

Well written and easy to read. Has heaps of twists and turns in the plot but rather predictable to the plots conclusion.
Carole Evans
It's a good secret service tale, not up to John le carre but it does hold your attention, I enjoy her books,
Ted
Dec 20, 2010 Ted rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Like a crack addict I went back to Ms. Rimington, even though I had only moderately enjoyed the other two. This one just screamed "read me" and it was slightly less disappointing, but ultimately not enough to put the author into positive, 3+ star, territory. I wanted a light read and I got it --it just wasn't a good one. Liz Carlyle is a likable character and the MI5 procedural bits feel authentic, but the plot was too reminiscent of an earlier episode (rogue agent with Daddy issues) and the act ...more
Dtlibra
Better than Others by this author
Jane
Jan 13, 2016 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
awesome
Catsalive
Aug 03, 2015 Catsalive rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
David Hull
Nov 21, 2015 David Hull rated it it was amazing
Another thoroughly enjoyable LizCarlyle novel from seasoned pro, Stella Rimington. Thank you Ma'am!
David Highton
Nov 18, 2015 David Highton rated it liked it
A few too many characters to confuse the picture, but a well developed climax
  • Brandenburg Gate
  • The Doublecross Program (Star Risk, #3)
  • Dead Spy Running (Legoland Trilogy, #1)
  • On Basilisk Station/Flag in Exile
  • Target Lancer (Nathan Heller, #16)
  • Hope (Bernard Samson, #8)
  • The Trikon Deception
  • Shadows of War (Red Dragon Rising, #1)
  • The Outsiders
  • Trading Reality
  • The Voyage
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • Mariposa
  • Sea Strike (Amanda Garrett, #2)
  • Come and Take Them
  • Bolo Strike
Dame Stella Whitehouse Rimington joined the Security Service (MI5) in 1968. During her career she worked in all the main fields of the Service: counter-subversion, counter-espionage and counter-terrorism. She was appointed Director General in 1992, the first woman to hold the post. She has written her autobiography and nine Liz Carlyle novels. She lives in London and Norfolk.

Watch a video of Stel
More about Stella Rimington...

Liz Carlyle (9 books)
  • At Risk (Liz Carlyle, #1)
  • Secret Asset (Liz Carlyle, #2)
  • Illegal Action (Liz Carlyle, #3)
  • Present Danger (Liz Carlyle, #5)
  • Rip Tide (Liz Carlyle, #6)
  • The Geneva Trap (Liz Carlyle, #7)
  • Close Call (Liz Carlyle, #8)
  • Breaking Cover (Liz Carlyle #9)

“carefully pulled himself up to look into the horizontal ventilation” 0 likes