Start by marking “Tomorrow They Will Kiss: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Tomorrow They Will Kiss: A Novel

Tomorrow They Will Kiss: A Novel

Written with buoyant humor and a sharp sense of human desire, this is the story of love pursued at any cost, of how friendship and history unite people for better or worse, and of the hope for that redemptive kiss capable of reconciling estranged lovers and countries.
Published July 3rd 2006 by Back Bay Books (first published July 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Tomorrow They Will Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomorrow They Will Kiss

Cheryl Klein
Dec 07, 2009 Cheryl Klein rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Like the heroines of the telenovelas they love, the characters in this book (three women from the same gossipy village in Cuba, now working in a New Jersey doll factory) are painted with somewhat broad strokes, but they're each more complex than the others think. And, also like novelas, their stories are pretty addictive. Santiago has created a great, classic diva in Graciela, a bad girl with a heart of gold. And when her bitchy "friends" relentlessly try to take her down for such transgressions ...more
Jessica Kolodziej
Jul 18, 2012 Jessica Kolodziej rated it really liked it
This book read like a latin version of The Help, well sort of. Imperio, Graciela and Claridad are the women whose stories we learn. Their lives are complex in their home country of Casto's Cuba and that much more in the monotony of their new life in Union City, New Jersey. Familiar themes are present: the drunk husband, the single mother, the vixen, livin poor and workin poor ( doll factory ). These stories are like many stories I've heard from my mother and the life of an immigrant. Stories of ...more
Arlene Sanders
May 27, 2008 Arlene Sanders rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-reviews
EDUARDO SANTIAGO, in my opinion, eventually will win the Pulitzer Prize for distinguished fiction by an American author, and he may be the next writer of Cuban descent to do so.

TOMORROW THEY WILL KISS is right up there with other Pulitzer
winners. Santiago is young, and he has talent and dedication. And so it is, I believe, only a matter of time.

Graciela, Caridad and Imperio -- Cuban women in exile -- work in a doll factory in New Jersey. Santiago segues back to Cuba throughout the novel, so we
Sammy Sutton
Oct 25, 2010 Sammy Sutton rated it it was amazing
Eduardo Santiago includes a quote in the front matter of his novel, one I find so moving I gasp just thinking about it. In fact, as I open the book to read the quote I find traces of my own lipstick on the page. I swear I didn't kiss it.

The Cubans can be characterized individually by sympathy and
intelligence, as group by yelling and passion. Every one of them carries
The spark of genius, and geniuses do not mingle well. Consequently,
reuniting Cubans is easy-uniting them impossible.
-Luis Agu
Lisa
Jun 13, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
Eduardo Santiago brought a different perspective on life in Cuba (prerevolutionary as well as during the regime's power). He artfully told the story by giving each of the three main characters a voice in their own chapters. Graciela, Imperiod, and Caridad were strong Cuban women each with their cross to bear. They provided insight into the lifestyles of Cuban women and how that contrasted with the lifes of American women at that time. The author took the characters from one revolution (Cuba) int ...more
Manda
Apr 10, 2009 Manda rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was a wonderfully well written peek into the minds of three Cuban immigrant women making a new life in 1960s America. Graciela, Imperio, and Caridad all come from the same small town in Cuba and work at the same doll factory in New Jersey, where they assemble dolls they can't afford to buy and discuss the latest telenovelas on the way to and from work. Eduardo Santiago really did a great job giving each woman an individual voice of her own in the story and the result is a funny, heartwarmin ...more
Susan Henn
Jan 12, 2013 Susan Henn rated it really liked it
1/2013 This story explores the lives of Cuban immigrants to the U.S. after Fidel Castro came to power. The author creatively exposes the emotions, thoughts, and actions of these immigrants through the eyes of three women, all from the same small town in Cuba. The experiences vary significantly for these women and their other Cuban friends, especially between holding on to the past versus moving forward in a new life. The characters are well developed and came to life in the story.
Dennis Henn
Feb 11, 2012 Dennis Henn rated it really liked it
The story narrated from three vantage points, ladies who fled Cuba when Castro came to power. They settled in New Jersey and found work together in a toy factory. The multiple narration effectively showed the way the immigration experience affected those who came here, what they lost and how they managed.
Coleen
May 10, 2009 Coleen rated it really liked it
Great book about Cuba and the transition to America. Friendships, secrets and love.
Melina
Jul 31, 2007 Melina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Latinos living in diaspora

I liked this book because it gives a Cuban perpective on what occured during the revolution and it shows why Cubans will always love their homeland
Danica
Jul 15, 2008 Danica rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this one. I was impressed with the way the author unfolded the story and used 3 different viewpoints.
Justine
Sep 06, 2007 Justine rated it really liked it
Pleasantly surprised.
I loved that the book had three different narrators.
I was surprised at how little I actually put the book down. Most books that I pick up on a whim I never finish.
Palmina Briggs
Jul 20, 2007 Palmina Briggs rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Very easy and fast read. Five women's perspective on life in Cuba pre and post revolution. Eduardo Santiago also possesses the same talent as Tolstoy in capturing women's awareness.
Juanita
Aug 20, 2009 Juanita rated it it was amazing
A cute read were I actually saw people around me in life. Las chismosas,
las comadres, la puta, la loca, la pobrecita, las hermanas. Taken away from their home land. Loved it.
Michael Anson
May 08, 2011 Michael Anson rated it it was amazing
People may think this book is solely for women, because the main characters are all women of Cuban descent. But I loved Eduardo Santiago's deft, sure hand in the way he draws impeccable characterizations of the life of women in exile, doing menial work. Nevertheless they have big dreams and big personalities to match.
Maya Nasr
Jul 15, 2011 Maya Nasr rated it liked it
I loved the interactions between the women. As someone who understands the effect of being far from home, the book was very realistic in portraying the relationships because they were not perfect and always positive but they were solid and supportive. Graciela is unforgettable.
Erin
May 28, 2009 Erin rated it liked it
This was a fun read. I liked how they told the stories from each gals perspective.
Cheryl
Aug 11, 2008 Cheryl rated it really liked it
8/10/2004
George Snyder
May 08, 2013 George Snyder rated it it was amazing
A sweet and funny and touching story of how we make new lives and come to terms with old ones.
Jon Brown
May 04, 2017 Jon Brown rated it it was amazing
Not within my usual reading genre but I thoroughly enjoyed this book
Nancy
Sep 24, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
I grew up in a Miami suburb in the late 50's and early 60's. Initially, in my junior high school there were just a few very wealthy Cuban students whose parents were Batista supporters. They were able to leave the country with sufficient resources to settle in a very affluent area. By the time I graduated from high school the handful of Cuban students multiplied many fold and their families were from a more diverse socio-economic sector.

My history made me eager to read Santiago's book and to und
Nina Truslow
Apr 14, 2015 Nina Truslow rated it did not like it
This book was worth it to me because I learned a little about cuban culture and the experiences of cuban immigrants; however, it was one that I will soon forget. I was not invested in the characters at all, and found at the end of the book that I hadn't learned much about any of them. The author chooses to tell the story of the main character, Graciela, mostly through the sensationalist, judgmental ravings of two other women, Caridad and Imperio, whose voices were indistinguishable. This was fru ...more
Laurel Deloria
Feb 01, 2016 Laurel Deloria rated it really liked it
Shelves: cuba-emigres
s irresistible as gossip, as addictive as soap opera, TOMORROW THEY WILL KISS opens up to us the lives of three proud, resourceful women who are unduly buffeted by the winds of fate in their pursuit of happiness. Like her native Cuba, Graciela Altamira is beautiful, defiant, passionate. Story told through eyes of three people.
Ginny
Oct 01, 2014 Ginny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very interesting, and delved into the cultural and political changes that happened in the 60s, but from the perspective of Cuban women living in New Jersey after fleeing Cuba. It's a really interesting, but also rather sad book, but shows a world that I had never experienced, and asked a lot of questions for me to think about. I liked it!
Lori
Jul 05, 2009 Lori rated it liked it
Recommended to Lori by: $1 shelf at bookstore
Shelves: 2009july
For a $1 find, this wasn't bad. But it wasn't great, either.

Told from the perspective of Cuban women who moved to the U.S. in the '60s, it had a lot of potential. But, unfortunately, it didn't do much with it.
Coleen
Oct 05, 2009 Coleen rated it really liked it
Teresa
Apr 20, 2016 Teresa rated it liked it
Good in its on way, not fascinating, not my type, but you learn a lot about how was living in Cuba in those years, and all cubans go trough.
Paula
Paula rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Francesca
Francesca rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2011
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Who By Fire Onlin...: Post your q. for Eduardo Santiago here 1 3 Oct 30, 2012 10:58AM
  • Salt
  • Annie's Hero
  • Finding Manana: A Memoir of a Cuban Exodus
  • Learning to Die in Miami: Confessions of a Refugee Boy
  • The Wig My Father Wore
  • Poetry Like Bread: Poets of the Political Imagination from Curbstone Press
  • The Piano Man
  • Take One Candle Light a Room
  • Sudden Fiction Latino: Short-Short Stories from the United States and Latin America
  • If I Die in Juárez
  • Going Down
  • Broken Mirrors/Broken Minds: The Dark Dreams of Dario Argento
  • Trying to Stay Saved (New Day Divas, 4)
  • Shameless
  • Bluesday
  • Havana Noir
  • Talking to High Monks in the Snow: An Asian-American Odyssey
  • Farther Than I Meant To Go, Longer Than I Meant To Stay
Eduardo Santiago was born in Cuba and grew up in Los Angeles and Miami. He holds a BFA from the California Institute of the Arts and an MFA in Creative Writing from Antioch University.

He is a two-time PEN Emerging Voices Fellow (2004 and 2010). His first novel Tomorrow They Will Kiss (Little Brown and Co.), took Best Historical Novel and Best First Book honors at the International Latino Book A
More about Eduardo Santiago...

“Some of the girls in the factory say that I have ice water in my veins. That I don't have feelings. That there's a calculator where my heart ought to be. A calculator! I shit on them. Por Dios! I consider myself practical, sensible, and realistic. That's the way I am, and if you don't like it, don't come around. Don't come crying to me.” 2 likes