Start by marking “A Street Through Time” as Want to Read:
A Street Through Time

A Street Through Time

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Demonstrating the unfolding of history, panoramic views visiting a particular site every few centuries follow the evolution of a Stone Age riverside settlement into a twentieth-century city. A bold title and date with a few sentences describing significant changes appears in the upper-right-hand corner of each broad vertical scene. Added statements wind around the four bor ...more
Published 1998 by Dorling Kindersley

To ask other readers questions about A Street Through Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Street Through Time

Becky
I don't remember who gave this book to my kids (or even which kid actually received it, come to think of it), but I owe them a debt. It's a fabulous picture book that packs a tremendous amount of history into just a few pages! The illustrations are wonderful, and you could spend a good chunk of time just looking at them and discussing them with the child of your choice before you even get around to reading the text. Once you do read it, however, you'll need to spend another chunk of time looking ...more
I would love to have a copy of this book. It is one of those that you pick up and can't put down. Fascinating, it's wonderful to imagine all that has transpired in a particular site over time. Great to have lying around in the classroom for students to peruse at their leisure.
Lora
This is a large sized but thin book chock full of hours and hours and hours of me-time. The kids have pored over this book to the point that the detailed and complicated pictures absolutely must visit them in their dreams. I know I've spent some time enjoying the book, myself. Each two page spread is an amazingly detailed historical conjecture of a certain place along a certain river bank. The actual place made be made up, but there is still a lot of history here. Each page after the next advanc ...more
Dorothy
This is a great oversize book with a plethora of details of land grows into a settlement, a village, and eventually a modern city as different periods of time pass and a new age begins. The illustrations are amazingly detailed, which will give hours of exploration for the readers. The notes about specific feature in each page spread helps define little facts pertinent to that time period.

Only downside to the book: In the last few pages, where the book gives a timeline of important events in wor
Kristi
This is an updated edition with all new illustrations of a great book that makes history fascinating for the elementary aged set. I spent a long time, myself, going through all the detailed pages, looking at all the people and what they were doing inside their different houses. Details from one page pop up if you're looking for them on future pages. Although the book never says where the town is located, it is most likely set in Great Britain, as it is invaded by both the Romans and the Vikings, ...more
Francesca Bertucci
I think this book was is appropriate for grades 3-8. It demonstrates how time has shaped land and what has evolved from it. In the beginning it has Historical background information and each page is a visual with identified objects, acts, villages, etc. Its supposed to be a walk through history and I think it does a great job at this. Its a fun and interesing way for students to learn about how history has changed over time. I'm in college and I was very interested in this book and didnt want to ...more
Ilana Waters
I was intrigued not only by how the author and illustrator told their story, but what they chose to include. They didn't gloss over periods in history like wars and plagues, but still kept those subjects age-appropriate. There were plenty of humorous details as well!

I also enjoyed how they added continuity as the history of the street unfolded (ex., a treasure chest was lost in one time period, only to be found later). Hours of fun exploring the intricate detail and step back into history.

Oh,
Simon
This book is so entertaining! I love it.
Somethings never change. something change a great deal. This book demonstrates history's greatest tales and the formation of humanity today and the ways of life. This is why time travel would be so cool.

My favourite time period (other than my own) is the 1700s when everything is luscious and rich. Life was first class and fancy. Very elegant and proper. It was a sunshine time for humanity, before the dawn of the Industrial Revolution.
Elizabeth
Nov 28, 2012 Elizabeth added it
Shelves: nonfiction
An interesting way to present and format history and the change it brings over time. Much detail - a book for those kids who love to notice the little things. A visual spring board for raising questions and getting mental wheels turning before looking at a period or periods in history. Kind of like Where's Waldo in history.

Nothing is really spared here - so note to parents that there are naked people and the grim parts of life are in there too.
Michelle
An excellent book to sit and read with a youngster. It is helpful in developing a sense of the passage of time and history in children. The pictures are excellent and filled with seek and find opportunities that make it fun. We enjoyed finding Henry Hyde amongst the pages. My only complaint is that the pages are so jam packed and some figures so small that we sometimes resorted to using a magnifying glass to look at the images more closely.
Cassandra
Oct 08, 2009 Cassandra rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cassandra by: Kristen Jorgenson
This is a very cool book that captures the changes in landscape and living that have taken place throughout history. The illustrations are great, and in addition to text that explain each period of time, many items in the pictures are labeled to expand vocabulary. My husband and I want to buy this for our home. There are a few companion books, but I have not accessed them yet (I had to request this one through ILL). Thanks, Kristen!
Ashley
Very interesting book! I've never seen a book like this one before.
Very unique too, I really enjoyed it :)
Ardra

The kids and I took a couple hours to go through this book on a teachers' workday. It was an incredible experience. Through pictures and a few descriptions and explanations, we were walked through 12,000 years of history of a European riverside location. Civilizations are built up, only to be destroyed and the cycle starts again. Thought provoking!
Lil
The author, or illustrator, should have done a little more research before publishing this book. One of the pictures is of a garden that is fenced in with a goat inside the fence. Anyone who knows goats would know that if you put a goat in your garden that you would no longer have a garden, they would have quickly eaten every plant in sight.
Helen Azar
I was absolutely fascinated by this book and it's format and art! What an awesome abd clever childrens' book (as well as adult). I would give more stars if that were an option. Also see A City Through Time ( http://www.amazon.com/City-Through-Ti...)
Tracy Black
The kids really enjoyed browsing through this book. It shows a street at 14 different points in history over the last 12000 years. It has very little text, but buildings and people are labeled in the pictures, and factoids are in the margins. Quick easy view of what life was like in the past.
Acton
Oct 26, 2010 Acton rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: chris
This book is a liitle bit like I Spy! But you can also read about traveling through time. It is pretty cool. You also get to look for this one man in every page. He's a time traveler. Each time you turn a page, He goas back in time!
Muriel Hammond-teusink
"Une Ville au Fil du Temps" - excellent read for intermediate reader in French. Has a character - Jean Marc - to find in each picture layout - plus interesting historical questions to search for the answers in the pictures.
Marie
This book shows the same street over a 12,000 year time period--from the stone age hunters through the invaders that sacked the Roman Empire through today. Very cool concept, but sadly out of print now!
Lois
The "Through Time..." series is a really great starting point for younger kids to start learning about history and different eras like the Iron Age, the Vikings, the Greeks, etc.
Theresa
brief information surrounding a picture of a street through out the ages from the caveman to the modern time, this one is featuring the British
Mark
Detailed visuals of different times and how things evolved over the years; a bit hard to locate the Waldo-like Timer Traveler in more crowded scenes.
Maryann Macdonald
See a street transformed by 12,000 years of time from a Stone Age riverside settlement to a modern city. Full of dramatic detail.
Colleen
This would be great for younger kids... there is a where's waldo aspect to it, which makes it fun for teaching younger ones.
Tyler Smith
A great visual representation of how everyday life has evolved over time.
Jaclyn
Sep 21, 2008 Jaclyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jaclyn by: Gayla
I really like this book. It's where's waldo meets history.
Katie
Really like this, great for older "Where's Waldo" fans.
Leah
Nov 09, 2008 Leah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids
Recommended to Leah by: my friend sophie
a good book
  • Leonardo Da Vinci
  • A Medieval Feast
  • Children Just Like Me
  • Ancient Egypt
  • Patrick: Patron Saint of Ireland
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)
  • Built to Last
  • Stephen Biesty's Cross-Sections Castle
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an Aztec Sacrifice!: Gruesome Things You'd Rather Not Know
  • Castle (Eyewitness Books)
  • If You Lived Here: Houses of the World
  • Ancient Greece and the Olympics (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #10)
  • Medieval Life
  • I Spy: An Alphabet in Art
  • Who Was First?: Discovering the Americas (Bank Street College of Education Flora Stieglitz Straus Award (Awards))
  • The Penguin Atlas of Ancient History
  • This First Thanksgiving Day: A Counting Story
  • The Story of the World: History for the Classical Child, Volume 2: The Middle Ages: From the Fall of Rome to the Rise of the Renaissance
The Usborne Book of World History (Picture history) Pyramids A Port Through Time Usborne Internet-Linked Children's World Cookbook My First Word Touch and Feel