Start by marking “The Day Leo Said I Hate You!” as Want to Read:
The Day Leo Said I Hate You!

The Day Leo Said I Hate You!

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  146 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
No More NO's!
I HATE No!
And actually, right now--I HATE YOU!"
Uh-oh...those three words just popped out before Leo could stop them!
In a reassuring manner, Robie H. Harris and Molly Bang portray what happens when a little boy feels SO frustrated and SO mad at a parent who has said NO all day long. Together, Harris and Bang delicately navigate not only the momentary angry fe
Published November 2nd 2010 by Turtleback Books (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Day Leo Said I Hate You!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day Leo Said I Hate You!

Roxanne Hsu Feldman
This is definitely a book with a LOUD MESSAGE -- but it is handled so realistically, so well, and the emotions rising and falling are so classic that the whole thing just "works!" I love Bang's use of the three toy animals in reflecting how the readers might react to the unfolding scenes and Leo's words. I definitely went into the book with apprehension, afraid that it would be preachy and too squishy -- but, instead, I feel like someone really understands the dynamics and being a mom that somet ...more
Kate Hastings
Oct 02, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: PreK- Grade 2
Every parent dreads the day their kids says the "H" word. I thought this would be a really great book for sharing with a children who use this word a lot. It really shows how emotionally charged the word is.
Tasha
Oct 23, 2008 Tasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Pair the storytelling skill of Harris with the illustrations of Bang and you really can't go wrong! Leo is not having a good day. Each thing he does, his mother seems to be right there telling him, NO! Finally, Leo has had enough and storms off to his room. When he gets there, he draws a mean picture of his mother on his bedroom wall. His mother comes in and tells him NO! Leo is so very very angry that he shouts with all of his might I HATE YOU! at his mother. Though he doesn't mean it all at, h ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Julie M. Prince for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

Leo is so tired of Mommy's NOs that he retreats to his room just to be in a no NO zone. He quickly finds that there's no such thing when Mommy walks in and tosses yet another NO Leo's way. This is when Leo decides to throw his own verbal weapon at Mommy.

This is a book all kids can relate to, as it puts anger, temper, fear, and doubt on display. Facing off with overwhelming emotion can be a challenge, and it's comforting for kids to know tha
Alice
Apr 28, 2015 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars My mom told me to never say "Hate" or "Kill" or "Pooped" For that matter. I think she said Heck once...or a hell to quote my dad...

When he says I hate you! to his mom...the book explodes! It felt like a very dramatic moment that I have rarely found in a book. It was bold and mean, and you could feel this boys rage. He meant when he said it!

.....and then

The Remorse!
It goes full circle! I think this is a great parent/child book. It tackles anger, and ends with some humor and most imp
Leslie Brevard
Different Culture
The Day Leo Said I HATE YOU
5 stars
Kindergarten- 2nd grade
When you first open the book the end pages are colored in red and there is a picture of an angry boy on the right side but at the end of the book the end pages are purple with a happy girl on the left side. Bang is showing that by the end of the book no one is mad anymore. In the pictures there are some very bold colors and bold statements. Bang uses good reasons why the mother would be saying no to the boy and I think tha
Shaquita
Wouldn’t you hate it if all you heard was no this and no that all day; well that is exactly, how Leo felt. His mother was constantly telling him and he would tell her that he hated “no.” Then one day Leo had gotten yelled for writing on his wall. His mother was furious and told Leo, “no, Leo you do not mark on walls.” Then Leo yelled back at his mother, “I hate you!” But Leo thought for a minute and wished he could take back what he had said; because he could see that it had really hurt his moth ...more
Scott Volz
The Day Leo Said I Hate You, written by Robie Harris and illustrated by Molly Bang, relates the conflict that develops between parent and child when a child misbehaves and pushes boundaries. The book also focuses on the repercussions of using hurtful words, ultimately reinforcing the unconditional love between a mother and her child.

Bang's illustrations, which look to me to be an interesting combination of photographic/digital imaging and cartoon, do a nice job of complementing the story. As the
Robin
Apr 28, 2015 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! The explosion of color and emotion this book puts out there packs a punch. You can tell that this child is really frustrated and angry, but the minute those dreaded words come out of his mouth he is immediately remorseful. I like the way the Mom handles his outburst by telling how it makes her feel and then helping him resolve his emotion in a loving humorous way. Leo is reassured that his Mom will always love him.
Kasey
Nov 17, 2008 Kasey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robie Harris’ The Day Leo Said I Hate You! clearly depicts the emotional rollercoaster of being a young child and that of being a parent. Leo has been misbehaving all day and is frustrated with all of the ‘no’s’ he is hearing from his mommy. His mommy is also frustrated with all of the trouble that Leo is getting into. All of this frustration erupts with Leo shouting those three terrible words that no parent ever wants to hear. Immediately he wishes he hadn’t said them and compares it to Mommy s ...more
Stacie
Plot: Find out what happens with a little boy is so frustrated with his mother that he tells her "I hate you".

Setting: Present day, a house

Characters, Leo and Mommy

POV: 3rd Person

Theme: Mistakes and forgiveness

Style: Picture/Children's Book

Copyright: 2008

Notes: This book was okay. I liked that the font changed with the emotions. I don't really have a lot to say about it.
george
Nov 06, 2008 george rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leo is so tired of mommy saying no. No rolling tomatoes across the floor. No dropping string beans in the fishbowl. No no no. Leo is so mad that he storms off to his room and declares it a "no-free" zone. But then mommy tells him no again and he can't take it anymore and yells: "I hate you." To mommy. And now he's worried because he knows it's a horrible thing to say. What will mommy do?

Great story and wonderful illustrations. The only thing that slightly bothered me is that mommy tells Leo that
Chantee Jordan
I chose The Day Leo Said I Hate You! as my read aloud choice of course because of the bright pictures. The front cover is what caught my eye then the story within kept my interest. Parents and children alike can relate the subject as both get to the point where they no longer want to be bothered and tend to say hurtful things. Children will learn empathy and will know that some things are not acceptable to say to people. I also appreciated the book because the characters, although ethnicity is n ...more
The Library Lady
I'm really surprised at Robie Harris and Molly Bang for not getting that it's OKAY for kids to say "I hate you!"
As a matter of fact, if a child DOES say it to a parent, it tends to show that they're secure in their parent's love--would they say it to anyone they weren't SURE would love them no matter what?

I'm surprised, and I'm disappointed. Because the mom's reaction of anger to the words is exactly what YOU don't do.

My reply to my girls has usually been "That's okay. I don't like you either r
Dolly
Oct 02, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their younger children
This is an entertaining story that really captures the anger and frustration of a young child. No child likes to hear 'No!' all of the time and the result can be an explosive temper tantrum.

This book helps parents model poor behavior and allows children to objectively regard a situation without being emotionally vested in it. The illustrations are colorful and are likely to appeal to kids.

I would recommend this book for parents reading with their younger children. Although our girls are older
Tanika
Apr 15, 2011 Tanika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emotions, feelings
This story is about a mother and a son. The mother is always telling the son, ”NO……! The son got tired of his mom saying NO so he said, “I hate you”. He didn’t know what these words meant so she had to explain it to him. The story teaches children that sometimes we might feel angry and might have outburst. We have to explain that some outbursts might be hurtful so we should not say certain things about people.
Nina
Misbehaving Leo can't stand the word no. But, his mother continues to say 'no' to everything he does. His anger is out of control when he hears the final no and yells 'I hate you' at his frustrated mom. The story is well sequenced and the collage images are well suited for the chaos of a boy misbehaving and emotions running a muck. The moral is clear and made obvious. 'I hate you' should not be said to someone you love.
Tanya W
May 08, 2011 Tanya W rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I agree with my friend Teri's review... some books like this actually give kids ideas of how to behave badly... I cringe in a lot of books (I love the book , I Love You Forever , but I cringe when the child throws a watch in the toilet... I always think that's going to give my little ones "bright" ideas that will make my life more stressful than it already is.
Christy
In a reassuring manner, Robie H. Harris and Molly Bang portray what happens when a little boy feels SO frustrated and SO mad at a parent who has said NO all day long. In this family book about what it feels like to say--and hear--those other three words, Harris and Bang delicately navigate the most profound bonds between a parent and a child.
Terry
I did not like this book. Leo not only behaves badly, he does not get punished for saying mean things and disobeying. He might feel bad but there were no consequences in the end of the story.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub.
Ruth Ann
Aug 23, 2010 Ruth Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Leo is frustrated because throughout the day his mother keeps telling him, "NO!" Without really meaning to, Leo yells, "I hate you". The story tenderly shows the resolution of the conflict and conveys the message that parents always love their children but also raises awareness that words can hurt.
babyhippoface
Your basic, average kid gets mad when he or she doesn't get his or her own way. It's the way we're made. This would be terrific to share with your child when those forbidden words slip out. It would also be good to read to kids who are dealing with serious anger issues, as a lead-in to deeper discussion.
Teri
May 01, 2011 Teri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feelings
I got this book on a recommendation, and we sure don't like it at my house. The whole book is full of things the little boy and his mom "hate." The idea of someone feeling bad because you say "I hate you" is lost in all the "I hates." Now my 3-year old is saying "I hate. . ." Definitely thumbs down.
Madison Jones
Apr 14, 2013 Madison Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This would be a great book to use as a read aloud, because there are many children that can relate to this! Even in school the word hate is not acceptable, so it would be great to reinforce that. I would recommend this book for chidlren in kinderarten to second grade.
Heidi
Perhaps a bit too young for the crowd I'm looking for in this RA request (school-age). Good for preschool age to teach them about the meaning of hate, and how to be careful of using it. Interesting illustrations to show the emotions. I think kids will get that.
Sarah Winters
Dec 13, 2012 Sarah Winters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many parents and children can relate to this book. The pictures and word placements really make the story interesting. It also ends with a great lesson for the readers. This would be great for a read aloud, otherwise for first and second graders.
Molly
Dec 11, 2008 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Leo, frustrated at being told 'no' all day, finally breaks and tells his mommy 'I Hate You'. He regrets it immediately, and the talk about the power of words to hurt people. A nice choice for children who get angry or frustrated easily.
Molly
This is a book parents need when their children start to learn that words can hurt. I think it is well handled here and is a great book to go in the ranks of, "When Sophie is Angry, Very, Very Angry" and "Sometimes I'm Bombaloo" Ages 3+
Josiah
Apr 16, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a good, warm story that gently teaches a lesson in caring for the feelings of others. It is good to be read by all ages, in my view. I'm glad to see it so prominently displayed in the bookstores around my area.
Alia
Oct 27, 2008 Alia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Meh, it looked like it was going to be funny but instead the book took itself waaaay too seriously. Reminded me of some very important conversation characters in a sappy sitcom would have. Sadly, a miss.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Adèle & Simon in America
  • On the Farm
  • Bear's Picture
  • Fartiste
  • One Hen: How One Small Loan Made a Big Difference
  • Wonder Bear
  • Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek: A Tall, Thin Tale (Introducing His Forgotten Frontier Friend)
  • Franklin's Secret Club
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Mother Goose Tales to Read Together
  • Fortunately, Unfortunately
  • Don't Copy Me!
  • Barbie: Thumbelina
  • What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites
  • Madam President
Robie H. Harris has written many award-winning books for children of all ages, including the definitive Family Library about sexuality: IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL, IT'S SO AMAZING!, and IT'S NOT THE STORK! She lives in Massachusetts.
More about Robie H. Harris...