Start by marking “The Awakening” as Want to Read:
The Awakening

The Awakening (Darkest Powers #2)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  92,716 Ratings  ·  2,934 Reviews
If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl—someone normal. Now my life has changed forever and I’m as far away from normal as it gets. I’m a living science experiment—not only can I see ghosts, but I can raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever. I’m running for my life w ...more
Audio CD
Published January 1st 2009 by Recorded Books, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Awakening

DarienMoya
^^I AM IN LOVE WITH A TEENAGE WOLF!^^

The second book in the Darkest Powers series is just as engaging as the first, more creepy action and a more Derek. I am in love with this boy, I wanna go in the book and drop kick Chloe, so she can see what she is missing. I will say they have a lot of scenes alone together and they make me very happy.

For all y’all who don’t know Chloe is a new discovered necromancer ( able to awaken the dead), first she thought she was schizo but it was discovered that the
Tatiana
Sep 12, 2009 Tatiana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, ya, urban-fantasy
As seen on The Readventurer

The second book in "Darkest Powers" trilogy starts where the first one left off - Chloe is at the research institute and contemplating escape. What follows is pretty much Chloe's and her friends' journey to get to the person who might be able to help them find Derek's and Simon's father (which is I suppose is what this trilogy is about, but I am not sure at this point).

The first book in the trilogy was undoubtedly drawn out and artificially extended, but this second bo
Heather
The Awakening is even more enticing and action packed than its prequel. While the setting shifts, it is no less menacing as Chloe and the gang face a grim and tretcherous life on the streets. Tension is heightened by the added appeal of a perfectly sinister and powerful enemy and the suspense of unknown supernatural powers. Armstrong's teen characters are smart and resourceful, and each obstacle thrown their way requires them to use every bit of caution, wits, and intelligence they possess. Arms ...more
Arlene
Alas, this is where Chloe Saunders and I must part ways. As with the first book, I just couldn't stop myself from wanting to call it quits after about half of the book. There's just something about the storyline and this little necromancer that doesn't seem to captivate me despite how much I love a great paranorm.

Now, I'm actually apologizing upfront for my rant that is about to unfold, but it's only because my fellow group of trusted readers loved this book and I couldn't… I just couldn't… I t
Lauren
May 24, 2009 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I remember finishing the The Summoning, the prequel to The Awakening, last summer and thinking, " I doubt Kelley will be able to top this." Though, apparently she can, as she has proven it with The Awakening.

In The Awakening more action and intense drama occurs. As well as major character development. Since, Tori, Chloe, Derek, and Simon's powers began to involve steadily in the book. Also, there was more information told and found out about the Edison Group and werewolves which was fascinating
Katie
May 24, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, arc
Chloe Saunders is back in the second book of the Darkest Powers series. If you haven't read The Summoning yet read it before reading this review. SPOILERS.

At the end of the first book Chloe and Rae go to Chloe's Aunt Lauren for help, not knowing that she is working for the very group that they are trying to escape from. As a result, Chloe and Rae end up locked in a high security warehouse that houses the Edison Groups many experiments. Luckily, Derek and Simon are still on the run and on the loo
oliviasbooks
*** Read and reviewed on May 14th 2009, re-read on March 5th 2014 ***

This is so good ... and now I am waiting again!

The second part in the "Darkest Powers Trilogy" is basically a road movie. A diverse bunch of naturally supernatural - and genetically altered - kids are running for their lives, because the adults whose guinea-pigs they are, decided to end the experiment and terminate the subjects.

The book starts in the middle of the attempted flight and ends with the - temporary - end of it. But
Leah:)
May 24, 2009 Leah:) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delivered in her trademark style, Kelley creates a world within our own where supernatural teens are nothing but science projects to be shown and used then tossed away--sometimes even killed.

Chloe's character becomes even clearer in this novel then the one preceding it, and boy is being in her head interesting. She is struggling to understand how strong she is, and is no where near the point where she can control her powers. Despite her interest in her powers, Chloe would much rather be normal a
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Nov 16, 2014 Carmel (Rabid Reads) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, audio-2014
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

Book 1 focused more on world-building while as this one was all about the action; the kids are still on the run from the Edison Group, Souza had his first encounter with werewolves and it did NOT go well, and living on the streets comes with its own set of challenges as well. I’ve enjoyed watching Chloe and Derek’s relationship progress throughout this trilogy, they get lots of alone time in this installment, and their dialogue is definitely one of the highlights of this
Vendea
Ano! Ano! Takhle má vypadat správná paranormální série! Akce, akce, akce! Tuhle sérii vážně miluju. A miluju Dereka. Víc Dereka. Víc mrtvol, prosím!
Maddie Senator
Nov 26, 2013 Maddie Senator rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't reviewed this yet? It's definitely time, now that the series is over!
I loved this book even more than the first. It's such a delicious read! The teens you've come to know and really like are on the run from the Edison Group, and they have to get to know each other and trust each other over the course of their escape.
I think my favorite bit of the book was the whole part with Derek and Chloe alone. I don't know if I want them to end up together or not, but I really enjoyed the adventu
Shera (Book Whispers)
After reading the first book in this series, The Summoning, and now the second installment, I can confidently say I much prefer Armstrong's young adult series. I've read the first three books of her Women of the Otherworld series and thought they were quite enjoyable. Yet they lacked something for me, and towards the end of each books I found myself getting bored.

I wasn't sure if I would like the main character, Chloe. At time’s it felt like Claire had just rolled off the assembly line of damse
Margaret Stohl
Jul 04, 2009 Margaret Stohl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Better, even, than the Summoning. Kelley Armstrong has successfully escaped the curse of the sequel. Characters, powers, relationships all deepened. I can't wait for the story to go on...!
Cheyenne
Apr 13, 2011 Cheyenne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Also see the review on my blog.

I liked the sequel just as much as I liked the first. The action, humor, and horror were consistent. The characters were really complete, with the exception of Simon, who seems most of the time to be simply the nice guy who likes Chloe. Tori’s sarcastic remarks were a much needed comic relief, and I found myself getting attached to her character.

Derek seemed to really evolve, too. He went from being the large hulking angry guy to the one who uses his anger to cove
Holly
Tara Higgins
3.5? maybe less, i am not sure
Mizuki
It's a nothing really happens in this underwhelming, anti-climactic book 3 stars.

The writing is still solid and I enjoy the first half of the book, I also take small comfort that no one has been engaging in silly romance while running for their lives. But Ms. Armstrong seems to forget her story and all of the suspense and build-ups need to reach an actual climax before the book comes to an end in order to satisfy her readers.

When reading this second book of The Darkest Power trilogy, I felt like
Erika
May 24, 2009 Erika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really disappointed with this book. I also was disappointed with the first book, because I thought it was short on plot and heavy on exposition, and I thought the second book would have more plot, but alas, it was not to be...

The pacing in this series is just piss poor, sorry to say. And the main character is unappealing to me. She has all these great necromancer powers, but she never uses them. And when she does use them, she gets all freaked out about it. One of the other characters, Tor
Maggie ☘Wonderland-BookQueen☘
*3,5*
Fast-paced and quite entertaining sequel to The Darkest Powers trilogy about Chloe and her friends - Derek, Simon and Tori on the run from the Edison Group.
The beginning was little bit slow, but then it kicked off and started to be even more enjoyable than the first book. It was also interesting to watch the friendship development between Chloe and Derek.
I'm glad that I have the last book already purchased, because I can't wait to know how it all ends.
May 24, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this book. More fast-paced than the first and with just a touch more romance: Chloe's characterisation is superb, the sweet blond necromancer is immediately endearing, and I am a shameless fan of the Derek and Chloe romance. Can't wait for the Reckoning!
Rachel Lightwood
This review may contain some minor unavoidable spoilers for The Summoning.

Woah, this was unexpected to say the least. I don't know what I expected from this sequel but it sure as heck wasn't what I got. I actually enjoyed this - a lot. I know I am shocked too. The Summoning was just awful to be frank and I expected something similar from this but just... wow!

This was... fun. That is seriously the best word I come up with. This wasn't great in terms of plotline, characters or anything re
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Breia "The Brain" Brickey for TeensReadToo.com

Not too long ago, Chloe Saunders was an ordinary teenage girl with dreams of making movies when she got older.

Today she is a necromancer who has no idea how to control her powers or even what all of her powers are.

In book one of the DARKEST POWERS series, THE SUMMONING, Chloe and several of her friends escaped from the group home they had been living in. Now, Chloe and Rae are recaptured by the Edison Group, a shady organization that has
Wealhtheow
Chloe Saunders is a fifteen year old necromancer on the run. This book is fast paced, with good details and great characterization. To my pleasure, Armstrong complicates the classic "magic teenagers on the run from a secret organization" with touches of realism. They run into problems like being ten dollars too poor to get to their next quest point, or not having ID. They bicker and don't always make courageous choices. The werewolf has anger issues--and it's not portrayed as being a sign of wha ...more
Lid
Apr 17, 2015 Lid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: omg
Este ha sido mejor que el primero, un ritmo mas ligero y lleno de acción que me ha hecho devorar el libro y ahora voy corriendo a por el último.
Nidofito
Man, the kids really get on my nerves in this edition. If you disliked Tori and Chloe in the previous book, you're gonna hate them in this one. My feelings went downhill pretty fast for them. The guys weren't particularly impressive either.

Honestly, there's really not much of a story. The guys find out some history about themselves and the Edison group but mostly, they're just running around one place to next trying to get to this one guy who'll help them. Kinda disappointed tbh because I was h
Annika
Dec 17, 2015 Annika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
4 stars

This is the story of a group of supernatural teenagers, consisting of a cunning necromancer, a charming sorcerer, a petulant witch and a moody werewolf, on the run from the very people who 'created' them.

This book was captivating, full of suspense and mystery, and a little more humorous than its prequel, what with all the banter between Chloe, Derek and Tori.
Chloe is a wonderful heroine. Despite her very young age, she's surprisingly mature and resourceful and not once did I want to smack
Jude
Dec 13, 2010 Jude rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

What can I say? This series gets better and better.

This book picks up right where The Summoning ends, and after the shocking ending of the first book, this book fills you up but still manages to leave you wanting for more…

I think The Awakening was even better than the first book, it has so much more action and risky situations in which you are left with no more options than to hold your breath and hope for the best. Also, the romantic interests of Chloe ge
Kristi
May 24, 2009 Kristi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of these times that I’m going to recommend you read a series in order! The Awakening was even better than The Summoning. Everything that I loved about the first book was present in this novel too, plus more!

I really love that Armstrong revealed more about the powers that the characters posses. It was fascinating to watch Chloe and Derek discover the extent and restraints on their powers. Excellent continuation on character development!

The plot was even more fast paced than the Awak
SheWunders
I don’t know why I can’t get myself to love this series like everyone else. I want to love it. Really. It’s my favorite genre – paranormal YA w/ a dash of romance. Right up my alley!

What I can’t look past The Awakening has no plot. That’s not true – it’s just a terribly slow moving plot (I think). Think about it – what exactly was accomplished in The Awakening? Some minor plot accomplishments – Chloe raises a bat, Derek almost turns werewolf, Tori is still a pain, they meet up with a guy who mi
Daphne Delacroix
Jun 01, 2011 Daphne Delacroix rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All I have to (And want to) point out is the similarity between the main characters here and the main characters in the House Of Night Series.

Has anyone EVER thought about the TREMENDOUS amount of similarity between Tori and Aphrodite? I mean, spoilt rich girl/brat who's oh-so-hot and thinks she can get all the guys, though secretly there's a loyal friend in that ice cold heart that is protected from heart break because of what their parents have put them through. They're like this because of
So i dont know if im going to read the next one 27 184 Feb 15, 2014 12:58PM
Crazy for Young A...: The Awakening (The Summoning #2) by Kelley Armstrong → Start Date: February 2nd, 2014 51 31 Feb 08, 2014 12:05PM
Anything to do wi...: Games----- 10 13 Apr 14, 2012 09:12AM
The Reckoning theories 33 140 Feb 19, 2012 02:50PM
  • The Haunted (The Hollow, #2)
  • Betrayals (Strange Angels, #2)
  • Full Moon (Dark Guardian, #2)
  • Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life, #2)
  • Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)
  • Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3)
  • If I Die (Soul Screamers, #5)
  • Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls, #2)
  • The Forbidden Game (The Forbidden Game, #1-3)
  • Kiss of Life (Generation Dead, #2)
  • Darkness Falls (Immortal Beloved, #2)
  • Trial by Fire (Raised by Wolves, #2)
  • Darklight (Wondrous Strange, #2)
  • Captivate (Need, #2)

More about Kelley Armstrong...

Darkest Powers (3 books)
  • The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1)
  • The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)

“Derek caught my arm again as I started to move--at this rate, it was going to be as sore as my injured one.
"Dog," he said, jerking his chin toward the fenced yard. "It was inside earlier."
Expecting to see a Doberman slavering at the fence, I followed his gaze to a little puff of white fur, the kind of dog women stick in their purses. It wasn't even barking, just staring at us, dancing in place.
"Oh, my God! It's a killer Pomeranian." I glanced up at Derek. "It's a tough call, but I think you can take him.”
870 likes
“He had a newspaper rolled in his hand, bearing down on me like a puppy that had piddled on the carpet.
"Bad Chloe,” I muttered.
"What?”
I’d forgotten his bionic hearing. “Bad Chloe.” I gestured at the rolled-up paper and put
out my hand. “Get it over with.”
390 likes