Start by marking “Commitment and Healing: Gay Men and the Need for Romantic Love” as Want to Read:
Commitment and Healing: Gay Men and the Need for Romantic Love

Commitment and Healing: Gay Men and the Need for Romantic Love

What's love got to do with it? Everything, according to Richard Isay's informed and illuminating look at the role of romance in modern gay life. I highly recommend this book for people of any generation and partnership status. --Dean H. Hamer, Ph.D., author of The Science of Desire and The God Gene "Richard Isay offers something far better than simple bromides and false ho ...more
Published December 3rd 2010 by John Wiley & Sons (first published April 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Commitment and Healing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Commitment and Healing

Stephen
Aug 09, 2012 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm amazed by the negative Goodreads reviews of this, because I found it so insightful, helpful, and well-written. It's been a valuable supplement to my own therapeutic process. The author's conclusions are based on his long experience as a therapist with gay clients, not merely on Freudian theory or heterosexist constructs, as another reviewer says. I would strongly recommend this to any gay man seeking to find or stay in a committed relationship.
Armando
Aug 22, 2013 Armando rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book came into my life at the perfect moment and provided me with the insight I couldn't develop for myself for so many years. I feel like I understand myself better and why I've been unable properly seek love, show love, accept love, and sustain love. I highly recommend this book.
Aidan
Nov 10, 2015 Aidan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-library
I do not agree with everything Isay posits, but I recognize that his is an excellent analysis and valuable insight. I liked his other two books -- Becoming Gay, Being Homosexual -- better, and found little material in Commitment and Healing that I was able to recognize in myself and consequently agree with. But still there were things that reading this book helped me discover about myself.

The reason I hold Isay in such a high regard is not because of his theory/analysis itself so much, but rathe
Brandon Shire
Jan 10, 2012 Brandon Shire rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Freudian based theories about gay men with bad childhoods = they can't have/find love. Postulations were insulting and seemed to be derived from the perspective of a heterosexual mindset about the seeming vagaries of gay relationships.

Pick this up for a research piece and found it to be a waste of time and money.
Chris Mecham
Dec 20, 2012 Chris Mecham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, psychology
Well that depressed the shit out of me. Much of it I long suspected, but it was nice to have validation. Just file me under "broken beyond repair" and I'll go cry myself to sleep.
Jon Dietrich
Jon Dietrich rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2014
Jeff Weeden
Jeff Weeden rated it liked it
May 01, 2013
Deeps
Deeps rated it liked it
May 13, 2013
Manny Arocho
Manny Arocho rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Todd
Todd rated it liked it
May 15, 2016
Allan Salcedo
Allan Salcedo rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Adam
Oct 27, 2010 Adam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
awful, but it was a short read and only suffered through it for 4 hours for a bookclub discussion
Antonio
Antonio rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2013
Steven
Steven rated it did not like it
Nov 14, 2016
Scott Lewis
Scott Lewis rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2010
Octavian
Octavian rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2010
Edmonton Greg
Edmonton Greg rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2012
Nikolaos Korasidis
Nikolaos Korasidis rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Felix Stockhammer
Felix Stockhammer rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2011
Dougw
Dougw rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2012
Adam Boyer
Adam Boyer rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2015
Greg Tasker
Greg Tasker rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2014
Liam
Liam rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2009
Markus Zachary Xavier
Markus Zachary Xavier rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2015
Justin Carter
Justin Carter rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
May 15, 2010
David
David marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2012
Darren Mitton
Darren Mitton marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Cyrus
Cyrus marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
John Fisher
John Fisher marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Neil
Neil added it
Aug 11, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2012