Start by marking “Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - And Get - What You're Worth” as Want to Read:
Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - And Get - What You're Worth

Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - And Get - What You're Worth

In this thoroughly revised edition of his classic book, Alan Weiss shows how consulting fees are dependent on only two things: value provided in the perception of the buyer and the intent of the buyer and the consultant to act ethically. Many consultants, however, fail to understand that perceived value is the basis of the fee, or that they must translate the importance of ...more
Published November 3rd 2008 by Pfeiffer (first published January 16th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Value-Based Fees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Value-Based Fees

Morag Barrett
Apr 15, 2014 Morag Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I launched SkyeTeam Value Based Fees was one of several books by Alan Weiss that I regularly refered to (and still do). I have a strong dislike of an "hourly rate" (incentivises some to work slower and therefore bill more, or penalizes those who are quick and efficient). Value based pricing has allowed me to build a successful international business and ensure that the remuneration I receive and the investment clients make reflect my experience and expertise, and the impact our solutions ha ...more
Joe Nicassio
If you want to break out of hourly fees, and get paid your worth, this book is a must read.
Amithanand D'silva
An excellent insight into how to define value, a must read for any business which provides an intangible value for clients. Not intangible value does not only mean services but you could also be providing intangible value by selling a products with add-on services,
Michael
Oct 24, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The absolute best book I have ever read of how to price your consulting services. He gives detailed sets of questions you use to establish the value of a project as well as the specific formula of how he calculates his fees. While it may not work in every area of consulting due to industry standards of practice the book is without a doubt one of the top consulting books on the market and should be read by every independent consultant.
Antti Apunen
Sep 21, 2015 Antti Apunen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I've read on the topic. It is clear in its advice and offers encouraging examples that are easy to follow. Even for someone -with years of consulting background, Weiss offers food of thought and shows many pitfalls of common consulting practices. A must read for anyone looking means to increase their consulting profits.
Ravi Warrier
Jan 15, 2016 Ravi Warrier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
An absolutely must read for a professional, especially if he/she is a consultant. As a founder of a start-up consulting firm, I was a little concerned about developing a fee structure for my services. This book has helped, tremendously.
Heidi
This is bit dry, but makes a lot of sense. Though the author's arrogance and mercenary (though he would deny it) attitude is a turn-off! I definitely see the logic and benefit of moving away from time & materials-based work whenever possible.
Jan Schultink
Jun 25, 2012 Jan Schultink rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A bit repetitive, and written by someone who has built his reputation already, and can charge accordingly. Still, this book changed the way I charge clients, so that's pretty high impact.
Cnd
Nov 13, 2013 Cnd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An in-depth look into value based fees. Excellent Book IMO. May not work in every industry but I have applied it to my business with varying degrees of success.
Audrey Ple
Nov 17, 2013 Audrey Ple rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real mind teaser for anyone who has been in the habit of charging for their services hourly. I highly recommend it.

Christina Murias
Very interesting approach on pricing for services. Highly recommended if you run a service based company
Jeffrey
Feb 14, 2015 Jeffrey rated it liked it
How do you convince your clients not to pay hourly-fees and to go to value-based fees?
Sue
Mar 25, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book... get what you are worth
Marc
Feb 14, 2012 Marc rated it really liked it
Excellent advice for consultants.
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Ruchira Datta
Ruchira Datta marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Alastair
Alastair marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Jurgen Dhaese
Jurgen Dhaese marked it as to-read
Phyllis Campagna
Phyllis Campagna marked it as to-read
Nico K.
Nico K. marked it as to-read
Wouter Middelbos
Wouter Middelbos marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Sune Gynthersen
Sune Gynthersen marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Harran Ali
Harran Ali marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
George David
George David rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Jessica Wicks
Jessica Wicks marked it as to-read
Raheem
Raheem rated it did not like it
Tony
Tony added it
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Brittney
Brittney rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits!: 4 Keys to Unlock Your Business Potential
  • The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow
  • Go It Alone!: The Secret to Building a Successful Business on Your Own
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • The Path of Least Resistance: Learning to Become the Creative Force in Your Own Life
  • Hire with Your Head: Using Performance-Based Hiring to Build Great Teams
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • Accounting Made Simple: Accounting Explained in 100 Pages or Less
  • Financial Intelligence for Entrepreneurs: What You Really Need to Know About the Numbers

“Don’t accept contingency fees or “pay for performance”; you’re not a trained animal act. Variables are often outside your control, and besides, you’re being paid for your best advice. It’s up to the client to implement it effectively.” 0 likes