Start by marking “Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs” as Want to Read:
Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs

Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  1,078 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
The best leaders not only lead well but also reflect on their leadership long enough and thoughtfully enough to articulate the philosophies that cause them to do so. Whether serving in the marketplace or in ministry, as executives or rank-and-file employees, as salaried staff or volunteer servants, good leaders can pinpoint the rationale for their actions and decisions wit ...more
Published March 4th 2011 by Zondervan (first published June 17th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Axiom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Axiom

Erika Suarez
A pesar de tener algunas frases buenas es aburrido.
Chris
Jan 11, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since my first encounter with Hybels around 1994, I've been a student and fan. I've listened to hundreds of hours of his material and count him among those who've influenced my thinking. While few of the axioms listed in this book were new to me, I still appreciate the fact that he collected them in one place. I've borrowed many of these lines and use them on a weekly basis. For example, "umbrella of mercy" or "vision leaks" are phrases I use almost daily. One that was new for me? Six by six exe ...more
Mike
May 15, 2009 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought Axiom was ok, but honestly, I felt like it was getting long towards the end. I liken it to Bill Hybels fortune cookies (but longer & meatier). Some of his "leadership proverbs" I had heard before, although there were a few stand out ones for me (I've listed a few below). I suspect that this is the kind of book you probably revisit every so often to pull out a good nugget of truth for whatever leadership stage you find yourself in.

Some highlights (of newer info for me):

Six-By-Six E
Jonathan Brooker
Apr 04, 2016 Jonathan Brooker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had been told by far too many friends to count that I should read this book. So I began reading it a little while back when I had free moments because of it's unique format. The short chapters and simple thoughts allow you to put it down and pick it up a lot and still feel very connected to it. There were a number of chapters that just felt like pure gold! Some were a bit more common sense for me. I would guess, though, that some which I felt were common sense were gold for others and vice ver ...more
Jeff
May 24, 2013 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-book-list
This is in my Top 5 of all-time favorite leadership books. It's a great resource of leadership insights from a great leader. It's also a great book to give your team. Highly recommend it.
Phil Whittall
May 19, 2016 Phil Whittall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a few of Bill Hybels' books now, and a few things are blindingly obvious. The man is fired up about, I think just three things the local church, evangelism and leadership (well possibly sailing as well but he's not written a book on that yet). Axiom is one on leadership. It reads quick as it is essentially his leadership proverbs, truths discovered over his years as senior pastor at Willow Creek and digested into bite size chunks.

You can either read this book start to finish (as I did)
John Bechtold
This is a book full of modern day proverbs (or Axioms) that Bill Hybels has learned in his ministry with Willow Creek. Each proverb basically stands on its own, so there isn't a connecting theme throughout the book. Many of the proverbs give you something to think about and give you some wisdom to take with you or use in making decisions. Since the book doesn't have an ongoing theme, it is easy to put down and pick up again at a different time. It is a good book to read.
Emily
May 07, 2016 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75. As in most books of this type (topical essays rather than a through-composed treatment) the various chapters are uneven in their usefulness, applicability, or even to some degree, writing. After skimming through it cover-to-cover I decided that the best approach would be to randomly select chapters (the chapters do not build on each other - each one is on a particular 'axiom' of leadership). Many gems in here.
Wayne
Jan 17, 2015 Wayne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hybels writing style is not enjoyable. Though readable, it's often boring.

Also, Hybels really demonstrates his commitment to a model of church heavily infuenced by business models. In some respects, this book was not overly helpful for those who are not in multi-staff, massive ministries.

Some chapters were better than others (more helpful) and could perhaps be extracted for teaching purposes, but on the whole I would not recommend this book.
Kathryn
Oct 14, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Church Leadership
Shelves: christian
This book was passed out a year ago to teachers after an appreciation service for teachers. It really seems like a random pairing as the book is all about Hybel's leadership in the church. I connected it much more with work I've been doing at church to start a 20-somethings group. Most of it felt like common sense, but I really wasn't the intended audience of this book, so I guess my vote needn't count. I'm sure a pastor or some other person actually in leadership at the church might have a comp ...more
Mark
Sep 09, 2008 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bill Hybels has proven over time that he can not only lead a church but can inspire other leaders to lead well - and this book is a distillation of his leadership philosophy into bite-sized pieces. It makes a great companion to his longer book, Courageous Leadership - and in some ways is probably more useful in a staff/volunteer setting where focusing on a short chapter (some are just one page) can really help you flesh out the concepts.

If you've been listening to Hybels preach/teach for a long
James Creasman
Excellent explanation of 76 of his values. This stimulates leader to identify and learn how to convey their own values to others, since creating corporate culture is one of the key roles for leaders.
Craig
Feb 23, 2013 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The main reason I picked up this book, is I am a Bill Hybels fan. Honestly, I was a little skeptical about the layout and format of the book prior to going through it. I thought it would be just "ok". I was wrong, I loved it! Some of the leadership proverbs are one's I am already familiar with, and I am sure most readers will have the same experience. However, there we new proverbs and new ways to think about olds one's I have heard before. What I appreciate the most, is not the leadership princ ...more
Jchrispowers
Feb 24, 2015 Jchrispowers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leadership gold. Small, rich nuggets of truth gleaned from long, fruitful years in the fight. This would be a great gift, and a great discussion starter for mentoring relationships.
Caleb Hunter
Jan 18, 2016 Caleb Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hands done one of the best books on leadership I've ever read, I had to read it for a class but I enjoyed it and learned so much that I have reread it twice since.
Daniel Carlson
May 29, 2014 Daniel Carlson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership, ministry
Great book! There are many practical words of wisdom to live by. The author is writing based on years of experience as a pastor, yet the principles apply to anybody.
Ryan Johnson
Sep 06, 2014 Ryan Johnson rated it really liked it
Quality leadership advice from Bill Hybels. The book is particularly useful for leaders in ministry but the applications certainly do not stop there. These are clearly bits of wisdom earned through many years if leading and learning how to lead more effectively. Definitely recommend.
Christine J
Aug 29, 2015 Christine J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who leads ANYTHING in any capacity should read this extraordinarily wise and practical book.
Neang
Oct 23, 2014 Neang is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
good
Iamthird
Important to set the context, values need heat, 6 by 6, credits others, first test leaders, study history and affirm the praiseworthy, greetings & goodbyes, committed wot working through it no matter what it takes, just say it, call fouls, action and surround with people with bias toward action, find critics kernel of truth, be engaged in the spiritual battle, did we do any learning? create FINISH LINES (day, week, month, annually) need debrief. Leaders finish well.
Brett
Nov 10, 2009 Brett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership, ministry
Drawing on thirty years of leadership experience, Hybels unpacks the leadership mantras that have guided his course. Over 75 proverbs are divided into four categories: vision and strategy, teamwork and communication, activity and assessment, and person integrity. These axioms are short, memorable, and to the point, making for a rich and practical learning experience. This is the sort of book that needs to be reread on a yearly basis. A
Melissa
Sep 14, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Axiom is geared towards leadership in the church. Hybels gives great little axioms (proverbs or little leadership teaching nuggets) that make you rethink how you run your ministry and team. I found some of these nuggets extremely beneficial and made me think twice about how I should run my ministry/team in the future. I would recommend this book to anyone who is in charge of a team or church department.
Amanda
Jul 24, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
A pretty good leadership book. It felt pretty geared towards mega church leadership and more corporate environments but I think it would be a good read for most pastors & leaders. The chapters were short and memorable. I resonated with much of the book and I'll probably implement many of the ideas or I will use his language to express something I was already doing. A pretty helpful book overall.
Lee
Apr 11, 2015 Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
this book contains 76 one-liners to help you effectively lead your organization. nearly all of the axioms are helpful, but none of them is groundbreaking or revolutionary. they are not recycled sayings, but at the same time they already seem familiar. read it and learn what you can. recommended for church leaders, business leaders, and in general, organizational leaders.
Christ A. Kalamatas
Another home run for Bill!

Bill Hybels is a fabulous communicator and his knowledge and application of the scriptures is so valuable in my journey of faith. As a person in a position of leadership, I can totally relate to what he is saying with each and every example he uses to bring across his point.
Jason
Jun 21, 2010 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This book reads like a Seth Godin book.

Each chapter is short and to the point. I would love to read this book again as a leadership devotional over a couple of months.

Bill Hybels is a seasoned leader and this book contains a lot of truth that will save all leaders a ton of mistakes. Definitely worth checking out.
Vaughn
Jul 28, 2010 Vaughn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I didn't think I'd like this book, I'm pretty happy I invested the time in it. In Axiom, Hybels offers 75 practical proverbs in an easy to read, refreshing style. Not only is most of the content new, its useful, highly relevant, and applicable by either the secular or non-secular leader (or aspiring leader).
Justin Rosales
Feb 20, 2016 Justin Rosales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This... was incredible. This book generated so many different ideas. Definitely a solid read for anybody looking to apply wisdom in a real way and tangible way. Simply reading this will help others avoid common mistakes that so many people make in ministry.

*Leadership gold right here! :)
Julia
Aug 27, 2015 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is one of the most influential books on leadership I've ever read. Hybels' leadership proverbs are clear and poignant and can be applied immediately. This book is fantastic all the way to the last page. It will truly help sharpen your leadership...if you take his words to heart.
Bill
Mar 31, 2014 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
A powerful and fast read about the essentials of church leadership. Each 1-3 page chapter is based around a simple axiom or short phrase from Hybel's experience as a pastor. Highly recommended for all Christian leaders, great book to begin discussion or to be read by a leadership team.
  • It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It
  • Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
  • Sticky Teams: Keeping Your Leadership Team and Staff on the Same Page
  • Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion
  • Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda
  • The Monkey and the Fish: Liquid Leadership for a Third-Culture Church
  • Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples
  • Lead Like Jesus: Lessons from the Greatest Leadership Role Model of All Time
  • The 17 Essential Qualities of a Team Player: Becoming the Kind of Person Every Team Wants
  • The Air I Breathe: Worship as a Way of Life
  • Unleashing the Power of Rubber Bands: Lessons in Non-Linear Leadership
  • Church Unique: How Missional Leaders Cast Vision, Capture Culture, and Create Movement
  • The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable
Bill Hybels is the founding and senior pastor of Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Ill., and chairman of the board for the Willow Creek Association. The bestselling author of more than twenty books, including Axiom, Holy Discontent, Just Walk Across the Room, The Volunteer Revolution, Courageous Leadership, and classics such as Too Busy Not to Pray and Becoming a Contagious Christ ...more
More about Bill Hybels...

“It’s the great temptation for small groups of people to slide into a state where they’re not quite telling each other the truth and they’re not quite celebrating each other. Instead, they tolerate each other, they accommodate each other, and they settle for sitting on the unspoken matters that separate them.” 8 likes
“If you’re a serious minded leader, you will read. You will read all you can. You will read when you feel like it, and you will read when you don’t. You will do whatever you have to do to increase your leadership input, because you know as well as I do that it will make you better.” 6 likes