Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs

Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  611 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Winning leaders have winning points-of-view?succinct, practical, portable leadership proverbs that help them arbitrate decisions and arouse troops to action. In Axiom: The Language of Leadership, Past
Audiocd, 0 pages
Published July 29th 2008 by Zondervan (first published June 17th 2008)

Chris
Since my first encounter with Hybels around 1994, I've been a student and fan. I've listened to hundreds of hours of his material and count him among those who've influenced my thinking. While few of the axioms listed in this book were new to me, I still appreciate the fact that he collected them in one place. I've borrowed many of these lines and use them on a weekly basis. For example, "umbrella of mercy" or "vision leaks" are phrases I use almost daily. One that was new for me? Six by six exe...more
Mike
I thought Axiom was ok, but honestly, I felt like it was getting long towards the end. I liken it to Bill Hybels fortune cookies (but longer & meatier). Some of his "leadership proverbs" I had heard before, although there were a few stand out ones for me (I've listed a few below). I suspect that this is the kind of book you probably revisit every so often to pull out a good nugget of truth for whatever leadership stage you find yourself in.

Some highlights (of newer info for me):

Six-By-Six E...more
Jeff
This is in my Top 5 of all-time favorite leadership books. It's a great resource of leadership insights from a great leader. It's also a great book to give your team. Highly recommend it.
Kathryn
Oct 14, 2009 Kathryn rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Church Leadership
Shelves: christian
This book was passed out a year ago to teachers after an appreciation service for teachers. It really seems like a random pairing as the book is all about Hybel's leadership in the church. I connected it much more with work I've been doing at church to start a 20-somethings group. Most of it felt like common sense, but I really wasn't the intended audience of this book, so I guess my vote needn't count. I'm sure a pastor or some other person actually in leadership at the church might have a comp...more
Mark
Bill Hybels has proven over time that he can not only lead a church but can inspire other leaders to lead well - and this book is a distillation of his leadership philosophy into bite-sized pieces. It makes a great companion to his longer book, Courageous Leadership - and in some ways is probably more useful in a staff/volunteer setting where focusing on a short chapter (some are just one page) can really help you flesh out the concepts.

If you've been listening to Hybels preach/teach for a long...more
Matt Erickson
This collection of practical insights on Christian leadership by Bill Hybels is worth a reflective read. You will be encouraged and challenged to grow in honoring Christ whatever your station in life.
Craig
The main reason I picked up this book, is I am a Bill Hybels fan. Honestly, I was a little skeptical about the layout and format of the book prior to going through it. I thought it would be just "ok". I was wrong, I loved it! Some of the leadership proverbs are one's I am already familiar with, and I am sure most readers will have the same experience. However, there we new proverbs and new ways to think about olds one's I have heard before. What I appreciate the most, is not the leadership princ...more
Daniel Carlson
Great book! There are many practical words of wisdom to live by. The author is writing based on years of experience as a pastor, yet the principles apply to anybody.
Mike Denk
It's not a book like you think. It's more of a devotional read for leaders.
Iamthird
Important to set the context, values need heat, 6 by 6, credits others, first test leaders, study history and affirm the praiseworthy, greetings & goodbyes, committed wot working through it no matter what it takes, just say it, call fouls, action and surround with people with bias toward action, find critics kernel of truth, be engaged in the spiritual battle, did we do any learning? create FINISH LINES (day, week, month, annually) need debrief. Leaders finish well.
Brett
Drawing on thirty years of leadership experience, Hybels unpacks the leadership mantras that have guided his course. Over 75 proverbs are divided into four categories: vision and strategy, teamwork and communication, activity and assessment, and person integrity. These axioms are short, memorable, and to the point, making for a rich and practical learning experience. This is the sort of book that needs to be reread on a yearly basis. A
Melissa
Axiom is geared towards leadership in the church. Hybels gives great little axioms (proverbs or little leadership teaching nuggets) that make you rethink how you run your ministry and team. I found some of these nuggets extremely beneficial and made me think twice about how I should run my ministry/team in the future. I would recommend this book to anyone who is in charge of a team or church department.
Amanda
A pretty good leadership book. It felt pretty geared towards mega church leadership and more corporate environments but I think it would be a good read for most pastors & leaders. The chapters were short and memorable. I resonated with much of the book and I'll probably implement many of the ideas or I will use his language to express something I was already doing. A pretty helpful book overall.
Jason
This book reads like a Seth Godin book.

Each chapter is short and to the point. I would love to read this book again as a leadership devotional over a couple of months.

Bill Hybels is a seasoned leader and this book contains a lot of truth that will save all leaders a ton of mistakes. Definitely worth checking out.
Vaughn
Though I didn't think I'd like this book, I'm pretty happy I invested the time in it. In Axiom, Hybels offers 75 practical proverbs in an easy to read, refreshing style. Not only is most of the content new, its useful, highly relevant, and applicable by either the secular or non-secular leader (or aspiring leader).
Bill
A powerful and fast read about the essentials of church leadership. Each 1-3 page chapter is based around a simple axiom or short phrase from Hybel's experience as a pastor. Highly recommended for all Christian leaders, great book to begin discussion or to be read by a leadership team.
Roger Miller
Bill has a real gift of leadership but I would not go to him as a spiritual advisor. Meaning he is right on with many of his proverbs, but he also embraces a worldy vision of leadership. The most helpful chapter was establishing a starting and finishing line.
Marcus Lynn
Hybels has been an icon of mine for awhile. And his book doesn't disappoint. Every leader should read it. But it wasn't worthy enough to garner more than 7 out of 10 because some of the proverbs are so obvious and Hybels didn't add to their discussion.
Rachel
Bill Hybels is one of the wisest and yet humble leaders not only in the church, but in general. This book contains all of his easy-to-digest nuggets of wisdom from years of serving as the lead pastor at mega church Willow Creek Church.
Seth Hein
This is an excellent book, full of leadership proverbs and helpful insight. It's easy to pick up, as each chapter is only two to three pages long, but don't let that fool you. Each thought is presented in a punchy, to the point way.
John
Some real nuggets about leadership, including some challenges for leaders about priorities and how they deal with people.

Some cultural hurdles for me - some ideas seem a bit "direct" on this side of the Atlantic Ocean
George Hunger
One of the best leadership books I have ever read from one of the best church leaders in America. Bill Hybel's book Axiom is an easy read filled with anecdotes and powerful axioms for any leader. I highly recommend it.
Rich
Must-read for church leaders, and recommended for others as well. Love the format. Each chapter is two pages. Great stuff to gnaw on! Bill's love of God and passion for the mission of the church are encouraging!
Jeremy
Good snapshot of nearly 100 leadership axioms. I like Bill's leadership style; just peruse through this and dig in on the topics that are relevant to you. Keep it handy for future reference as well.
Danny Stokes
This book will stay close to me through the years. While I read the book in a few long settings, I'll refer to this as a textbook often. Topics are easily grouped together for future reference.
Eric Durso
I'm not normally a Hybels reader. There's some good stuff in here that made me like it. Also, the reason it's so likable is because the chapters are 1-2 pages at most. Goes by quickly.
Kevin Harris
While a lot of the stories were geared toward church leadership, the overall principles were timeless for anyone in leadership in any industry. Highly recommend this book.
Lisa
Aug 25, 2008 Lisa is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far, this is marvelous. It's great learning about leadership from someone else's decades of mistakes and successes. I also love being able to read passages randomly.
Nancy Graham
MANY great insights for leaders, though I got a wee bit weary of Hybels's subtle self-promos. Still, he shares many learnings from his wide experience and proven track record.
Angel Royal
Loved the practical ideas in here. I find myself using many of the terms adopted at Willow because they give such great word pictures. Great leadership principles in this one.
  • Next Generation Leader: 5 Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future
  • Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples
  • The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable
  • The Air I Breathe: Worship as a Way of Life
  • Integrity: The Courage to Meet the Demands of Reality
  • The Making of a Leader: Recognizing the Lessons and Stages of Leadership Development
  • Hand Me Another Brick
  • The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
Bill Hybels is the founding and senior pastor of Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Ill., and chairman of the board for the Willow Creek Association. The bestselling author of more than twenty books, including Axiom, Holy Discontent, Just Walk Across the Room, The Volunteer Revolution, Courageous Leadership, and classics such as Too Busy Not to Pray and Becoming a Contagious Christ...more
More about Bill Hybels...
Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God Courageous Leadership Just Walk Across the Room: Simple Steps Pointing People to Faith Becoming a Contagious Christian The Power of a Whisper: Hearing God, Having the Guts to Respond

“The more varied the environments in which you exercise your leadership gift, the stronger that gift will become. You will become a far more effective leader.” 5 likes
“If you’re a serious minded leader, you will read. You will read all you can. You will read when you feel like it, and you will read when you don’t. You will do whatever you have to do to increase your leadership input, because you know as well as I do that it will make you better.” 4 likes