Start by marking “The Secret to Seduction” as Want to Read:
The Secret to Seduction

The Secret to Seduction (Holt Sisters Trilogy #3)

WANTON!

A vicar's daughter unafraid to control her fate, Sabrina Fairleigh arrives at an exclusive country soiree with marriage in mind. How shocking—and intriguing—to discover her host is an infamous ladies' man known for his indecent (and, ah, inspiring) poetry!

WICKED!

They call him The Libertine, and his poetry is just as scandalous—and irresistible—as he is. But after on
Published May 1st 2007 by Forever (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret to Seduction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret to Seduction

PoligirlReads
Oct 23, 2012 PoligirlReads rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julie Anne Long is fast becoming a favorite author of mine. This was a great book, from start to finish. I've only read this final book in the series, so I'll need to go back and read the other two to find out more about the other sisters and Anna Holt.

Both the hero and heroine are flawed, but completely likeable characters. That's a hard thing to do, and to do well, and Long succeeds. These characters show growth (it is especially sweet to watch them slowly fall in love) and development in ways
Kyraryker/WhiskeyintheJar
Ooh I really like the beginning of this book. The way Lord Rawden is described, dark hair with light blue eyes and wearing a great coat; great combo. I am personally a huge fan of great coats but that aside Long has done a great job of giving her leading male character a powerful presence. I don't even know his first name yet but boy howdy do I want to get to know him.
Hot damn this is the kind of story I expected from Long after reading the first in this series. I absolutely love how it's being
Elis Madison
Premise: Anna Holt was the much-loved and deeply loving mistress of Richard Lockwood. Together they had three daughters, Susannah, 3, Sylvie, 4, and Sabrina (not much older). One awful night Richard's good friend James Makepeace gave Anna the dreaded news: Richard was dead—and there's a witness who claims Anna was the killer. James advises Anna to flee—without her three tiny girls, since the authorities will be looking for a woman with three young girls. James promises to see Anna's daughters ar ...more
Keri
I disliked Rhyes for most of this book and wish we could have had a bit more of an ending.
Amanda
Jan 31, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julie Anne Long put together a satisfying conclusion to the Holt Sisters Trilogy. (And I still need MOAR JAL.)

There was a lot about this book that I shouldn't have liked... but totally did. (Why do you do this to me, JAL? Why?) Both Sabrina and Rhys had their eyes on other people (for various reasons), and so the their relationship was super slow to begin. Slooooow.

Sabrina was almost painfully green, though, which provided a counterpoint for Rhys "The Libertine" and his constant need to be enter
LuvGirl
2.5 stars. This was a book that I picked back up after putting it down a while ago. Okay read, nothing spectacular. The romance between the H/H was nice to watch. The banter and seduction was entertaining. The book ran out of steam towards the end. The mystery didn't really appeal to me. I would have loved to see more done with the hero's mistress causing problems since he seemed so infatuated with her at first. I would have preferred that over all the other conflict that took place. It was actu ...more
A.J. (Lacy Literacy)
"Happiness was so transitory, she knew. It had an ebb and flow, and anything could shatter it, alter it, or turn it into something deeper and richer. It helped to have a few purely happy memories to rifle through on long, dark nights."

Disclaimer: I haven't read the other books in the Holt Sisters trilogy, (Reading the last book in a trilogy that you really need to read the previous books for... Go figure, I know.) so I probably had a different overall reading experience than people who have.
Kristin
Jan 28, 2017 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book started out with a series of Romance cliches but turned into something else altogether. A good end to this series.
Deborah Vespo
Jul 29, 2013 Deborah Vespo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book to the Holt Sisters Trilogy. A long ago fateful night three young girls awake to the sound of their mother tearfully telling them goodbye. She had left because someone wrongfully accused her of being seen at the scene of the crime, where the she loved and the father of their three daughters was brutally slain. Each girl was sent off to live in a different place for their safety. Sabrina the youngest daughter had been sent to live with a Vicar, where she grows up a way from society ...more
Blackjack
The Secret to Seduction, Julie Anne Long - Having read and enjoyed all of her Pennyroyal Green books (some numerous times), I still have but a few of her earlier novels left unread. I find that Long has developed quite a bit as a writer and all for the better, and so her earlier novels are somewhat weaker for me. Not so with this book. This novel features a recurrent theme in Long's books of heroines that repress their sensual natures and learn to embrace their passionate sides as well as heroes ...more
Amanda Ryan
Aug 26, 2012 Amanda Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sabrina Fairleigh is a practical woman, a woman who has a firm desire to help those around her. She's the adopted daughter of a vicar, her father the sole parent who has raised her. She has her eye on the man she wants to marry, a curate and cousin to a local notorious Earl. When Sabrina's friend invents a scheme to put the two of them in close quarters, they travel to the Earl's estate for a summer party. She's looking forward to meeting the Earl known as "The Libertine," a man who writes scand ...more
Autumn
oh my this book is incredible!!! rhys marry me pls
Jenn
Jul 04, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
But let me tell you why. I think it's because this is the third book in the series and I had not read the first two. It isn't that the love story doesn't stand alone, it does, in fact the back story that threads through the books also stands alone in this book. I understood everything that was happening I just didn't care because I wasn't invested in it, I think. Because the love story is beautiful. It is exactly what I expect from Julie Anne Long and I loved every minute of it.

I did skim over
Melody
Feb 01, 2013 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I didn't much care for the book. Rhys was brooding, forceful, inconsiderate, and an ass. Sabrina was self righteous, innocent, and sassy (but sassy is good, and everything else in both lists is bad).

Reasons I Did Not Like This Book:
- Older, wealthier, more experienced, titled man manipulates a very young, barely educated girl of no social standing in sexual and emotional ways.
- Because he was BORED.
- They never actually communicated.
- First, with the screwing with her brain and libido
Abby
Oct 18, 2013 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, ebook
The book that makes your miss your stop on the subway. Or your 30 minute lunch turns into 90 minutes. Or that To Do List keeps increasing because the only thing you want to do it to keep reading.

This is one of those books.

I will confess, I had my doubts at first. The hero is an Asshat of the First Order. In fact, he might even be CEO, COO and CFO on the Asshat Club. I had serious doubts as to whether this guy was going to be redeemable. How Long handled his growth and eventual redemption catapul
A wonderful conclusion to this trilogy,and probably the most emotional book in the series. This is the story of the final sister Sabrina. Throughout the story Sabrina and Rhys (Earl of Rawden) have something of a passionate rivalry in there views of the world and how one should comport themselves. Due to a moment of indiscretion Sabrina and Rhys are forced to marry to save Sabrina from ruin. While Rhys holds a certain passion for his new wife he is not willing to give up his town life and thus l ...more
Margaret Foxe
This is the best of the Holt Sisters trilogy. I find the other two books in this series the weakest of Long's oeuvre (I have read all of her books). But this book more than makes up for it. The hero of this novel, Rawdon, is just incredible. He is the embodiment of how I always picture all of those brooding Byron-esque type poets. Super sexually jaded, cynical, and damaged by the war -- and guilty of a horrible sin, which he committed to save his beloved mother and sister, but which has neverthe ...more
Valia Malkia wa vitabu
I surprisingly loved this story.
At the beginning it dragged and I remember beginning it and being bored out of my mind.The story became interesting when Rhys(I found this name weird and I couldn't and still can't pronounce it hence I spent the whole book kinda skipping it) and Sabrina started matching wits.I think I loved the imperfections of the main characters the most.
Sabrina was naive,self-conscious and self-righteous.Surprisingly she did not come out insufferable.She had a great capacity to
Aspoon
Jan 13, 2014 Aspoon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book was enjoyable to read, sometimes funny and tear jerkier. I wonder since Rhys is this brilliant poet, why the author didn't display some of his poetry in the book...I think she only had 2 or 3 lines..also, I barely felt any chemistry between Rhys and Sabrina. When they got married, he was on the next thing smoking back to London and he didn't appear back home again for weeks and months at a time. When he did come home it was for sex which mind you was pretty quick so you couldn't really feel ...more
Laine
May 01, 2012 Laine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i would have given it a five star, but i find it at the beginning that there were too much character being introduced at one chapter only that got me confused a bit. but as the story goes it made me goes into my habit of jumping pages wanting to find out what happened in the end then after ive know it go back reading where i left off.

it was very entertaining and i loved how rhys could not resist his wife sabrina. although he could not admit it at first because he has a reputation to hold. there
lia
Jul 28, 2013 lia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The vicar's daughter and the libertine!
It couldn't get cornier than this!

The lovely miss Sabrina Farleigh
/"description"

And THE libertine!
/"description"

As they say, the rest is history. They both get together. The daughters all reunited, mom showed up and of course villain get punished (or is he?)
Koki
Jul 01, 2015 Koki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pani Long som už zaregistrovala spomedzi autoriek literatúry historickej romantiky. A toto je prvá z kníh, ktorá sa mi od nej dostala do rúk. Musím sa priznať, že som z nej trochu rozpačitá.

Nielenže bola nekonečne dlhá, ale aj nudná. Spočiatku som sa tešila sa "laškovanie" medzi hlavnými hrdinami. Vyzeralo to na celkom príjemné a vtipné prestrelky. No nakoniec som si toho vtipu veľmi neužila.

Zvyšok recenzie si prečítajte tu: http://kokinakniznica.blogspot.sk/201...
suzi
Jun 12, 2012 suzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love it (but a little less than What I Did For A Duke)! Julie Anne Long seems to like to write about heroines that represses their personalities and heroes with reputations but are just pudding inside. This one's just like that. I really like the banter between Rhys and Sabrina. It's not as good as in WIDFAD but it was also fun. I also liked the back story of Sabrina. And Rhys. It is very intriguing and made want to read the other books from this series.
Dangermousie
Apr 07, 2013 Dangermousie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
One of the really early JALs, this is not as good as her amazing Pennyroyal Green series, but still a solid read about a vicar's adopted daughter and a jaded aristocratic poet nicknamed 'the Libertine' finding that they are compatible together. The structure is less tight than in her later books and the characters less instantly loveable, but the lush prose is already present and, while she doesn't delve as deeply into emotional center and heart, she still does pretty well.
Genella Degrey
Jan 04, 2013 Genella Degrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You will be seduced by this book's hot hero! Who doesn't love a man who writes poetry - especially scandalously naughty poetry! I was drawn towards him just like the heroine. Love sexy historical romance? Then you should read The Secret To Seduction!
*Highly Recommended The Secret To Seduction (Holt Sisters Trilogy, #3) by Julie Anne Long
Mikka
Jan 29, 2016 Mikka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was the best of the series. As the ending to the series I found it to be very satisfying. There was one unanswered question at the end, but I find that I don't really mind it not being answered. Sabrina's development was fun to watch and the progression of the relationship between Sabrina and Rhys was natural and organic. Actually, all three books in this series managed that. but this one was definitely the best in the series.
Laura J.
Apr 17, 2016 Laura J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent

After a second read, I found the book just as enjoyable the second time round. Although this is the third story in a series, it can be read as a stand alone. However, you'll want to read the other two. Three sisters lost to each other, their father murdered, and their mother disappeared. Sabrina is raised by a vicar. She's clever, warm, has a sense of humor and needs just a spark to light up her passions. And Rhys knows all about sparks.
Camy
Feb 15, 2013 Camy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Really good story. There was only one thing I didn't like: (view spoiler) All in all, only a minor point and it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the book. I'd recommend this to any Regency lover.
Ilze
Nov 25, 2012 Ilze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julie-anne-long
Very, very good, sexy, funny, poignant. There is enough background material provided throughout the book that you don't really need to read the first 2 books in the series to enjoy this one thoroughly. Love how the author developed the transformation of both of the main characters from The Libertine and The Vicar's Daughter to a wonderful couple.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 12, 2015 10:49AM
  • Luck Be a Lady (Rules for the Reckless, #4)
  • The Virtuoso (Duke's Obsession, #3; Windham, #3)
  • What a Scoundrel Wants (Medieval, #1)
  • The Dangerous Viscount (The Burgundy Club, #2)
  • The Pretender (Liar's Club, #1)
  • Shattered Rainbows (Fallen Angels, #5)
  • My Darling Caroline
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • My Beautiful Enemy (The Heart of Blade Duology #2)
  • Proof by Seduction (Carhart, #1)
  • The Wife Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #2)
  • Captives of the Night (Scoundrels, #2)
  • A Duke of Her Own (Desperate Duchesses, #6)
  • Secrets of a Proper Countess
  • Once Upon a Wedding Night (The Derrings, #1)
  • The Secret Pearl
20987
Well, where should I start? I've lived in San Francisco for more than a decade, usually with at least one cat. I won the school spelling bee when I was in 7th grade; the word that clinched it was 'ukulele.' I originally set out to be a rock star when I grew up (I had a Bono fixation, but who didn't?), and I have the guitars and the questionable wardrobe stuffed in the back of my closet to prove it ...more
More about Julie Anne Long...

Holt Sisters Trilogy (3 books)
  • Beauty and the Spy (Holt Sisters Trilogy #1)
  • Ways to Be Wicked (Holt Sisters Trilogy, #2)

“Moreover,' he mused relentlessly, 'I think that you'll be dreaming of me perhaps until the day you die.'

She clapped her book shut then and stood abruptly. 'It was only,' she ground out, 'a kiss.'

'Was it?' He was laughing now.

'And moreover,' she all but growled, 'you, Lord Rawden, murmured my name rather feverishly into my throat, as I recall.'

His smile disappeared. Good God, but a man didn't like to be reminded of the things he did or said in the heat of passion. She was a very good player. He eyed her somewhat cautiously.

'And you were breathing rather like a bellows,' she continued. 'Like a mating bull.'

'A mating bull?' Trust a country girl to arrive at this particular analogy.”
3 likes
“Rhys told himself that everything came with a price. He’d made a difficult choice years ago to regain all he had, and some days he could convince himself that life was like war: bitter, desperate choices were often made in the name of survival, and some inevitably survived at the expense of others.” 1 likes