Start by marking “The Wild Hog Murders: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #18)” as Want to Read:
The Wild Hog Murders: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #18)

The Wild Hog Murders: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #18)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Like most of the rest of Texas, Blacklin County is being overrun withferal hogs that destroy farmland and crops.There’s hardly any defense against these pests, but they haven’t been the cause of murder. Until now.A mother and son have opened an animal shelter in the county and they welcome even feral hogs. Someone’sthreatened them by slaughtering one of their animals and l ...more
Published July 5th 2011 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Wild Hog Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wild Hog Murders

Ed
Aug 06, 2011 Ed rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fair-play mystery fans, small town humor
Recommended to Ed by: Already fan of the series
Sheriff Dan Rhodes of Blacklin County, Texas, is a low-keyed, self-effacing peace officer who gets tough whenever he's in a jam. In this unusual and colorful yarn, Rhodes has to deal with the abundant feral hog (I think they're also called javelinas, peccaries, or possibly razorbacks)population while solving a couple homicides as well as a bank robbery. Sheriff Rhodes (how can you not like a guy who's a Dr. Pepper fan?) and the cast of small town characters are a lot of fun. Hack and Lawton's ri ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
It has been a long time since I’ve read a Bill Crider mystery. According to the reading log I keep at Goodreads, it has been since 2003. That's too long.

It should be noted that I am not a good mystery reader. A good mystery reader carefully follows the plot of a mystery, especially the small twists and loops. While reading mysteries, I often miss parts of the plot that turn out to have great ultimate significance.
And I, a natural skeptic, am always annoyed when small towns (mysteries---who know
Gina Williams
What do a dead bank robber, murderous bounty hunter, animal shelter, Los Muertos (motorcycle gang), and a morning talk show host have in common?

Feral hogs. A large population of the swine reside in Sheriff Dan Rhodes jurisdiction of Blacklin County, Texas.

Rhodes finds himself with a murder on his hands, after landing in the middle of a wild hog stampede following a high speed car chase. When a bounty hunter arrives indentifying the deceased as a wanted bank robber, Rhodes teams up with the recov
Kevintipple
Feral hogs have been running wild in Texas for years. As the problem has worsened and moved into urban areas, news reports started airing more and more frequently on the issue. If something gets reported on the news enough and there is any way possible to make a reality show on the subject, some network does. Two televisions shows on the Texas feral hog problem are in production now with no doubt more planned. Especially now since Texas has granted permission for hog hunts to be conducted from t ...more
Ed
#18 in the Sheriff Dan Rhodes series. In the 2011 installment of this series, prolific author Bill Crider brings back the laconic lawman of rural Blacklin County, TX and his enjoyable supporting cast. There are two bodies found and each is connected by time and location to a wild hog hunt. The connection, if any, will eventually be discovered; but this series is about the journey, not the result. Rhodes banters with his dispatcher and his jailer; he is fussed over by his wife; he's harassed by t ...more
Kathy
Bill Crider is always a good read, and I love sheriff Dan Rhodes. His Texas small town and county have never been what you would call thriving, but they hang in there. And the humor of Dan's wife and deputies and office crew will never grow old.

This time, bodies turn up in the middle of night-time hunts for feral hogs that are ruining crop land and making life harder for the local farmers. No one even knows who the victim is, at first, but Dan Rhodes always figures things out in the end.

These w
Cheryl
This was a fun mystery to read, with lots of local color, and dangerous wild hogs crashing through the scenes at regular intervals. I enjoyed the character of Dan Rhodes, who is a classic small-town sheriff--shrewd, plays by the book, smarter than the people around him, but in ways that are hidden from them. The writing was very cinematic--the plot rolled by in a way that was like watching a tv show, and the climactic scene at the animal sanctuary was great physical comedy in prose. The supporti ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Bill Crider's books never let me down and I truly enjoyed this latest effort in the Sheriff Dan Rhodes series.

We have Hogs. We have feral hogs, which for anyone that has ever lived in a state with the over-population of Javelinas know is a nightmare in itself. Then there are Hogs which are a fond name for some fantastic motorcycle adventures. Then there is Barbecue and are we ready for some delightful foods.

All the above and more is found in this easy reading, fast-paced adventure set in Texas.

I
Glen
Another good book, but it seems offstride.

In the other novels Rhodes doesn't seem this tough. Plus, in the other novels Blacklin County is more of a character, with a great many recurring characters. Usually, after meeting someone, they're either killed or killer in four or five books. This book, most of the supporting cast is barely seen. Unlike most of the other books, nostalgia is not a factor. I wonder if this series is going in a bit of a new direction.
Susan
Sheriff Dan Rhodes is tracking a stolen car when it runs into a feral hog. Before he can arrest the driver and passenger, they get mixed up with a wild hog hunt, and one of them is killed. Rhodes, plagued by an ambitious county commissioner and an alarmist talk-show host, has to identify a strange body with no papers, and figure out who wanted to kill him. After a second death, he also must deal with his old nemesis, the motorcyclist Rapper.
Mandy
This book was "eh". I picked it up at the library from the New Fiction shelf after finding that all of the other books I wanted to read were already checked out.
I wasn't captured by the storyline or the characters. His writing style is not for me either.
Not a book I would likely recommend to someone.
Cynthia
Need something to read while at the beach? This will do. I have never liked reading a series out of order .....there is always a reference that just doesn't make sense - this book has many of those - just left me hanging. Will I read another of the series? Probably not.
Janet
It's always fun to hang out with Sheriff Rhodes and the citizens of Blacklin County.
Vera
There are wild hogs in the county, and now Sheriff Rhodes has a murder to solve. Rhodes is my ideal of a small town lawman. He is calm, reasonable, and gets his criminals.
Gabriella
This book did have a very interesting premise, but for some reason I couldn't get into it and then I wandered away to some other books. Maybe another time for this one.
Evangeline
Great little cozy about a small-town sheriff in Texas. I really like the Dan Rhodes character and the books don't really have to be read in order.
Sherry
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that this is my first Bill Crider novel, but I'm sure I'll be back for more.
Debra
Another book that I neglected to log on GoodReads. Always like peeking in on Dan Rhodes' life though.
Al Stoess
Nov 30, 2011 Al Stoess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Crider fans
Pretty standard Bill Crider stuff. Too much Hack and Lawton - boring after book after book.
Kelly
This was a fun one and one of the best in the series.
Kimberly
Fun read. It is a nice light mystery to read and enjoy.
Bethel
Not my favorite !!
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Judy
Judy added it
Sep 21, 2014
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Too Late to Die (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #1) Murder of a Beauty Shop Queen: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #19) Murder Among the OWLS (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #14) Of All Sad Words: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #15) A Mammoth Murder (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #13)