Start by marking “The Wild Hog Murders (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #18)” as Want to Read:
The Wild Hog Murders (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #18)

The Wild Hog Murders (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #18)

Like most of the rest of Texas, Blacklin County is being overrun with feral hogs that destroy farmland and crops. There's hardly any defense against these pests, but they haven't been the cause of murder. Until now. A mother and son have opened an animal shelter in the county and they welcome even feral hogs. Someone's threatened them by slaughtering one of their animals a ...more
Published July 5th 2011 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Wild Hog Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wild Hog Murders

Karl
Nov 18, 2016 Karl rated it it was amazing
"The Wild Hog Murders" is book number 18 in the Sheriff Dan Rhodes series by Bill Crider. As far as I recall I have read the previous 17 earlier this year. I hope from that one can glean that I enjoy the series. The books could perhaps be read out of sequence, then however, many of the refer-backs and the humor prone to the secondary characters would be missed.

Sheriff Rhodes is the head lawman in a small Texas town inhabited by a load of idiosyncratic characters. Throughout the series Rhodes has
Ed
Aug 05, 2011 Ed rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fair-play mystery fans, small town humor
Recommended to Ed by: Already fan of the series
Sheriff Dan Rhodes of Blacklin County, Texas, is a low-keyed, self-effacing peace officer who gets tough whenever he's in a jam. In this unusual and colorful yarn, Rhodes has to deal with the abundant feral hog (I think they're also called javelinas, peccaries, or possibly razorbacks)population while solving a couple homicides as well as a bank robbery. Sheriff Rhodes (how can you not like a guy who's a Dr. Pepper fan?) and the cast of small town characters are a lot of fun. Hack and Lawton's ri ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
It has been a long time since I’ve read a Bill Crider mystery. According to the reading log I keep at Goodreads, it has been since 2003. That's too long.

It should be noted that I am not a good mystery reader. A good mystery reader carefully follows the plot of a mystery, especially the small twists and loops. While reading mysteries, I often miss parts of the plot that turn out to have great ultimate significance.
And I, a natural skeptic, am always annoyed when small towns (mysteries---who know
Thomas Todd
Oct 09, 2016 Thomas Todd rated it really liked it
Sheriff Dan Rhodes & his deputies in action in Backlin County Texas dealing with murders occurring during wild hog hunts and capturing bank robbers. I enjoyed how Crider incorporated the wild hog problems in the story that is rampant in TX. Another great addition to the long running Sheriff Rhodes series.
C.
Fun, 'clean' read with a few really funny scenes, but no suspense to the mystery, and very slow pace.
Kevintipple
Aug 30, 2011 Kevintipple rated it it was amazing
Feral hogs have been running wild in Texas for years. As the problem has worsened and moved into urban areas, news reports started airing more and more frequently on the issue. If something gets reported on the news enough and there is any way possible to make a reality show on the subject, some network does. Two televisions shows on the Texas feral hog problem are in production now with no doubt more planned. Especially now since Texas has granted permission for hog hunts to be conducted from t ...more
Ed
Mar 23, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it
#18 in the Sheriff Dan Rhodes series. In the 2011 installment of this series, prolific author Bill Crider brings back the laconic lawman of rural Blacklin County, TX and his enjoyable supporting cast. There are two bodies found and each is connected by time and location to a wild hog hunt. The connection, if any, will eventually be discovered; but this series is about the journey, not the result. Rhodes banters with his dispatcher and his jailer; he is fussed over by his wife; he's harassed by t ...more
Cheryl
Sep 22, 2011 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was a fun mystery to read, with lots of local color, and dangerous wild hogs crashing through the scenes at regular intervals. I enjoyed the character of Dan Rhodes, who is a classic small-town sheriff--shrewd, plays by the book, smarter than the people around him, but in ways that are hidden from them. The writing was very cinematic--the plot rolled by in a way that was like watching a tv show, and the climactic scene at the animal sanctuary was great physical comedy in prose. The supporti ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Oct 06, 2011 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
Bill Crider's books never let me down and I truly enjoyed this latest effort in the Sheriff Dan Rhodes series.

We have Hogs. We have feral hogs, which for anyone that has ever lived in a state with the over-population of Javelinas know is a nightmare in itself. Then there are Hogs which are a fond name for some fantastic motorcycle adventures. Then there is Barbecue and are we ready for some delightful foods.

All the above and more is found in this easy reading, fast-paced adventure set in Texas.

I
Glen
Sep 18, 2013 Glen rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another good book, but it seems offstride.

In the other novels Rhodes doesn't seem this tough. Plus, in the other novels Blacklin County is more of a character, with a great many recurring characters. Usually, after meeting someone, they're either killed or killer in four or five books. This book, most of the supporting cast is barely seen. Unlike most of the other books, nostalgia is not a factor. I wonder if this series is going in a bit of a new direction.
Susan
Jul 25, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-texas
Sheriff Dan Rhodes is tracking a stolen car when it runs into a feral hog. Before he can arrest the driver and passenger, they get mixed up with a wild hog hunt, and one of them is killed. Rhodes, plagued by an ambitious county commissioner and an alarmist talk-show host, has to identify a strange body with no papers, and figure out who wanted to kill him. After a second death, he also must deal with his old nemesis, the motorcyclist Rapper.
Kathy
Mar 03, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it
Bill Crider is always a good read, and I love sheriff Dan Rhodes. His Texas small town and county have never been what you would call thriving, but they hang in there. And the humor of Dan's wife and deputies and office crew will never grow old.

This time, bodies turn up in the middle of night-time hunts for feral hogs that are ruining crop land and making life harder for the local farmers. No one even knows who the victim is, at first, but Dan Rhodes always figures things out in the end.

These w
Mandy
Oct 07, 2011 Mandy rated it it was ok
This book was "eh". I picked it up at the library from the New Fiction shelf after finding that all of the other books I wanted to read were already checked out.
I wasn't captured by the storyline or the characters. His writing style is not for me either.
Not a book I would likely recommend to someone.
Vera
Mar 27, 2012 Vera rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
There are wild hogs in the county, and now Sheriff Rhodes has a murder to solve. Rhodes is my ideal of a small town lawman. He is calm, reasonable, and gets his criminals.
Gabriella
This book did have a very interesting premise, but for some reason I couldn't get into it and then I wandered away to some other books. Maybe another time for this one.
Georgene
Jun 18, 2015 Georgene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Interesting view of the modern West (Texas). Great characters, great plot. Kept me guessing until the end of the book.
Sherry
Mar 09, 2012 Sherry rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, library
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that this is my first Bill Crider novel, but I'm sure I'll be back for more.
Kelly
This was a fun one and one of the best in the series.
Debra
Aug 27, 2012 Debra rated it really liked it
Another book that I neglected to log on GoodReads. Always like peeking in on Dan Rhodes' life though.
Freda Witt
Oct 14, 2015 Freda Witt rated it liked it
not one of his best, but another episode in the life of the sheriff.
Evangeline
Sep 28, 2012 Evangeline rated it really liked it
Great little cozy about a small-town sheriff in Texas. I really like the Dan Rhodes character and the books don't really have to be read in order.
Patsy Tindell
Feb 15, 2016 Patsy Tindell rated it liked it
Another entertaining Dan Rhodes mystery.
Al Stoess
Nov 30, 2011 Al Stoess rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Crider fans
Pretty standard Bill Crider stuff. Too much Hack and Lawton - boring after book after book.
Janet
It's always fun to hang out with Sheriff Rhodes and the citizens of Blacklin County.
Bethel
May 09, 2012 Bethel rated it it was ok
Not my favorite !!
Crystal Karre
Crystal Karre rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Sissi Mise
Sissi Mise rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Ron
Ron rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2013
Amy H
Amy H rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Dark And Stormy Night (Dorothy Martin, #10)
  • Among the Departed (Constable Molly Smith #5)
  • Ranchero (Nick Reid, #1)
  • Balarama: A Royal Elephant
  • Black Thunder (Ella Clah, #16)
  • Evil Genius
  • Sticky Fingers (A Roxy Abruzzo Mystery #2)
  • A Gift for Murder
  • Shadows of a Down East Summer (Antique Print, #5)
  • Disturbance (Irene Kelly, #11)
  • Rolling Thunder (John Ceepak Mystery, #6)
  • How to Survive a Killer Séance (Party Planning, #3)
  • The Lost Women of Lost Lake (Jane Lawless, #19)
  • Jericho Cay (Bay Tanner, #11)
  • Bones of a Feather (Sarah Booth Delaney, #11)
  • A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3)
  • Deadly Recall
  • The Tale of a No-Name Squirrel

Sheriff Dan Rhodes (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Too Late to Die (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #1)
  • Shotgun Saturday Night (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #2)
  • Cursed to Death (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #3)
  • Death on the Move (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #4)
  • Evil at the Root (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #5)
  • Booked for a Hanging (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #6)
  • Murder Most Fowl (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #7)
  • Winning Can Be Murder (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #8)
  • Death by Accident (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #9)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #10)