Please Don't Call Me Human

Please Don't Call Me Human

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  10 reviews
After a shattering defeat for China in an international wrestling competition, a group of profiteers seeks out a young athletic hero to restore the country's damaged pride. In search of a living practitioner of a legendary fighting technique, the scouts find their man. Ironically, he is no warrior, but rather a slacker pedicab driver. What follows is a surreal, comic journ...more
Published July 28th 2000 by Oldcastle (first published 1989)

Brian
Jan 15, 2009 Brian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Directors of the World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc
Shelves: read-2009, asian
Wang Shuo's goal is to never write anything that he or others find necessary for society, particularly if it is uplifting. "The Propaganda Department has said my works are reactionary and that they ridicule politics. They say the taste and the language are vulgar. I do not deny this." from the Introduction

Giving face, losing face. In Chinese culture 'face' can be translated to mean honor, prestige, respect. To lose face is to lose that honor (I once in a heated moment intentionally made my clien...more
venezuela
Sep 05, 2008 venezuela rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: competitors and competition enthusiasts
Recommended to venezuela by: the internet
i loved everybit of this book, was gripping. and hence i suppose a thriller. but a stern kind of thriller. his obedience was breathtaking. and hardly soldierly. you see and are tang yuanbao everyday. (i swim 22 meters in 54 seconds; so, the ratio of speeds per 50 meters--standard Olympic pool size--of Mr. Phelps {who regulars 35 seconds for each 50 m. length} to me is 0.285248; but the book has so much more to say about competition than that)

EXCERPT:

"Thank you Yuanbao, for bringing glory to Chi...more
Carlos
While I really liked Wang Chao's Playing for Thrills, I found Please Don't Call me Human mostly dull and difficult to get through. This may be just a case of it not really being intended for me. Human has a strong satirical element, especially as concerns China's loss of the 2000 Olympics, and I suspect if I had a deeper appreciation of Chinese culture and history, more of the humor would have rung true.

The plot, what there is of it, involves a private group calling themselves the Mobilization...more
Archer
Banned in China, I somehow found this book in Fondren library at Rice, in a bookshelf only about 4 feet wide in a corner of the fourth floor.
Unfortunately, this is needless build-up, since the book is not extraordinarily special. The book as I read it was rather clunky and raw. In terms of the language and style, this is probably the fault of the translation, but the story was bizzare and disjointing as well. The bad flow of the book detracts from the reading experience, but I think that perhap...more
๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ
By far the strangest book I have ever read--and I've read (and like) James Joyce's Ulysses.
Geoffrey Humble
An earthily picaresque and somewhat demented blend of flavours, rooted in pride, nationalistic blindness and committee-think, with a top-note of Bulgakov (but despite the blurb no Kerouac). Shot through with veins of twisted history and popular literature. Readers who have not yet studied Chinese may find the taste thin in places.
Jenni
While reading this book I was: confused, entertained, amazed. If I had known more about China etc. before reading this book I would have enjoyed it more. I still liked it though!
Daniel
Not sure whether I like this book. It's got someone interesting ideas, some LOL moments and some bizarre incidents, but I feel a lot of what is going on is lost in translation and the ending I felt was rather odd (like the author just thought: "**** IT!"). Maybe that was the point though.
Adriana
Cargado de humor e ironía.
Considero que es necesario un buen entendimiento de la situación Sociopolítica china para poder disfrutar realmente de este libro.
Bajo mi punto de vista personal, me resulta cargante el "exceso" paródico.

Joshua
Not bad, it got good reviews and I liked it a bit. It's written by a Chinese man and it gives great insight into some aspects of the Chinese culture, along with an entertaining story line.
Emma
I wanted to read some books set in Beijing before I went to China. Interesting and thought provoking.
Rusalka
Rusalka marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Fanny
Fanny marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Chris Hoffman
Chris Hoffman marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Kat Fishbones
Kat Fishbones marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
itfrozeme
itfrozeme marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Eadweard
Eadweard marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Matt Gilliland
Matt Gilliland is currently reading it
May 18, 2014
noelle
noelle marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
H Grenery
H Grenery marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Matteo
Matteo is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Ivan
Ivan added it
Apr 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Wang Shuo(王朔) is a Chinese author, director, actor, and cultural icon. He has written over 20 novels, television series and movies. His work has been translated into Japanese, French, English, Italian, and many other languages. He has enormous cultural status in China and has become a nationally celebrated author.
More about Wang Shuo...
Playing for Thrills 看上去很美 [Could Be Beautiful] 動物凶猛 Dong wu xiong meng (Chuang jian wen ku) 我是你爸爸 Oberchaoten.