Start by marking “Please Don't Call Me Human” as Want to Read:
Please Don't Call Me Human

Please Don't Call Me Human

Now Wang Shuo, easily Chinas coolest and most popular novelist, applies his genius for satire and cultural irreverence to one of the worlds sacred rituals, the Olympic Games. In Please Dont Call Me Human, he imagines an Olympics where nations compete not on the basis of athletic prowess, but on their citizens capacity for humiliationand China is determined to win at any co ...more
Unknown Binding, 320 pages
Published July 1st 2000 by Not Avail (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Please Don't Call Me Human, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please Don't Call Me Human

Horace Derwent

作者有句話我記得最清:餓死了,整死了,害死了那麼多人,如今你們還在崇拜他,讚美他,歌頌他,神话他,你們還算是人嗎?!

我對“毛粉”從來沒有耐心,我也從不把他們當人看!!

A WORD OF THE AUTHOR WHICH IMPRINTED ME SO DEEPLY: HE STARVED, PERSECUTED, MURDERED SO MANY MANY PEOPLE, AND NOW YOU STILL WORSHIP HIM, PRAISE HIM, EULOGIZE AND DEIFY HIM, ARE YOU ALL HUMAN?

well, to me, i never have any patience for those mao lovers, and i never treat them as humanbeings
Huy
Jan 28, 2016 Huy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
cuốn sách bát nháo một cách thú vị, lộn xộn một cách hài hước.
Emma
Sep 07, 2009 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read some books set in Beijing before I went to China. Interesting and thought provoking.
venezuela
Aug 02, 2008 venezuela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: competitors and competition enthusiasts
Recommended to venezuela by: the internet
i loved everybit of this book, was gripping. and hence i suppose a thriller. but a stern kind of thriller. his obedience was breathtaking. and hardly soldierly. you see and are tang yuanbao everyday. (i swim 22 meters in 54 seconds; so, the ratio of speeds per 50 meters--standard Olympic pool size--of Mr. Phelps {who regulars 35 seconds for each 50 m. length} to me is 0.285248; but the book has so much more to say about competition than that)

EXCERPT:

"Thank you Yuanbao, for bringing glory to Chi
Brian
Nov 10, 2008 Brian rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Directors of the World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc
Shelves: read-2009, asian
Wang Shuo's goal is to never write anything that he or others find necessary for society, particularly if it is uplifting. "The Propaganda Department has said my works are reactionary and that they ridicule politics. They say the taste and the language are vulgar. I do not deny this." from the Introduction

Giving face, losing face. In Chinese culture 'face' can be translated to mean honor, prestige, respect. To lose face is to lose that honor (I once in a heated moment intentionally made my clien
Carlos
Sep 26, 2011 Carlos rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, read-2011
While I really liked Wang Chao's Playing for Thrills, I found Please Don't Call me Human mostly dull and difficult to get through. This may be just a case of it not really being intended for me. Human has a strong satirical element, especially as concerns China's loss of the 2000 Olympics, and I suspect if I had a deeper appreciation of Chinese culture and history, more of the humor would have rung true.

The plot, what there is of it, involves a private group calling themselves the Mobilization
Archer
Jun 28, 2007 Archer rated it liked it
Banned in China, I somehow found this book in Fondren library at Rice, in a bookshelf only about 4 feet wide in a corner of the fourth floor.
Unfortunately, this is needless build-up, since the book is not extraordinarily special. The book as I read it was rather clunky and raw. In terms of the language and style, this is probably the fault of the translation, but the story was bizzare and disjointing as well. The bad flow of the book detracts from the reading experience, but I think that perhap
Geoffrey Humble
Dec 16, 2012 Geoffrey Humble rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An earthily picaresque and somewhat demented blend of flavours, rooted in pride, nationalistic blindness and committee-think, with a top-note of Bulgakov (but despite the blurb no Kerouac). Shot through with veins of twisted history and popular literature. Readers who have not yet studied Chinese may find the taste thin in places.
Daniel
Jan 23, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure whether I like this book. It's got someone interesting ideas, some LOL moments and some bizarre incidents, but I feel a lot of what is going on is lost in translation and the ending I felt was rather odd (like the author just thought: "**** IT!"). Maybe that was the point though.
Adriana
Cargado de humor e ironía.
Considero que es necesario un buen entendimiento de la situación Sociopolítica china para poder disfrutar realmente de este libro.
Bajo mi punto de vista personal, me resulta cargante el "exceso" paródico.

Jenni
May 29, 2014 Jenni rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
While reading this book I was: confused, entertained, amazed. If I had known more about China etc. before reading this book I would have enjoyed it more. I still liked it though!
Jun Pang
Sep 23, 2016 Jun Pang rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Interesting, even harrowing, satire, but a little rushed towards the end.
๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ
By far the strangest book I have ever read--and I've read (and like) James Joyce's Ulysses.
Joshua
Not bad, it got good reviews and I liked it a bit. It's written by a Chinese man and it gives great insight into some aspects of the Chinese culture, along with an entertaining story line.
Susana
Dec 12, 2016 Susana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: china
La traducción de Noblejas al español merece todos los premios.
Kaitlin
Kaitlin rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Alex Upton
Alex Upton rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Yuuko
Yuuko rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2012
Stephen Palmer
Stephen Palmer rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2011
Dan Carney
Dan Carney rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Zitong
Zitong rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Luke
Luke rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Patricia
Patricia rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2010
Terrazzah;
Terrazzah; rated it really liked it
May 16, 2014
Erik Carl son
Erik Carl son rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Craig Brown
Craig Brown rated it really liked it
May 11, 2013
DK
DK rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2014
Jiayang
Jiayang rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2007
  • A Dictionary of Maqiao
  • English
  • The Other Shore: Plays
  • The King of the Fields
Wang Shuo(王朔) is a Chinese author, director, actor, and cultural icon. He has written over 20 novels, television series and movies. His work has been translated into Japanese, French, English, Italian, and many other languages. He has enormous cultural status in China and has become a nationally celebrated author.
More about Wang Shuo...