Start by marking “Please Don't Call Me Human” as Want to Read:
Please Don't Call Me Human

Please Don't Call Me Human

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Now Wang Shuo, easily Chinas coolest and most popular novelist, applies his genius for satire and cultural irreverence to one of the worlds sacred rituals, the Olympic Games. In Please Dont Call Me Human, he imagines an Olympics where nations compete not on the basis of athletic prowess, but on their citizens capacity for humiliationand China is determined to win at any co ...more
Unknown Binding, 320 pages
Published July 1st 2000 by Not Avail (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Please Don't Call Me Human, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please Don't Call Me Human

Brian
Jan 15, 2009 Brian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Directors of the World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc
Shelves: read-2009, asian
Wang Shuo's goal is to never write anything that he or others find necessary for society, particularly if it is uplifting. "The Propaganda Department has said my works are reactionary and that they ridicule politics. They say the taste and the language are vulgar. I do not deny this." from the Introduction

Giving face, losing face. In Chinese culture 'face' can be translated to mean honor, prestige, respect. To lose face is to lose that honor (I once in a heated moment intentionally made my clien
venezuela
Sep 05, 2008 venezuela rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: competitors and competition enthusiasts
Recommended to venezuela by: the internet
i loved everybit of this book, was gripping. and hence i suppose a thriller. but a stern kind of thriller. his obedience was breathtaking. and hardly soldierly. you see and are tang yuanbao everyday. (i swim 22 meters in 54 seconds; so, the ratio of speeds per 50 meters--standard Olympic pool size--of Mr. Phelps {who regulars 35 seconds for each 50 m. length} to me is 0.285248; but the book has so much more to say about competition than that)

EXCERPT:

"Thank you Yuanbao, for bringing glory to Chi
Carlos
While I really liked Wang Chao's Playing for Thrills, I found Please Don't Call me Human mostly dull and difficult to get through. This may be just a case of it not really being intended for me. Human has a strong satirical element, especially as concerns China's loss of the 2000 Olympics, and I suspect if I had a deeper appreciation of Chinese culture and history, more of the humor would have rung true.

The plot, what there is of it, involves a private group calling themselves the Mobilization
Archer
Banned in China, I somehow found this book in Fondren library at Rice, in a bookshelf only about 4 feet wide in a corner of the fourth floor.
Unfortunately, this is needless build-up, since the book is not extraordinarily special. The book as I read it was rather clunky and raw. In terms of the language and style, this is probably the fault of the translation, but the story was bizzare and disjointing as well. The bad flow of the book detracts from the reading experience, but I think that perhap
๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ
By far the strangest book I have ever read--and I've read (and like) James Joyce's Ulysses.
Geoffrey Humble
An earthily picaresque and somewhat demented blend of flavours, rooted in pride, nationalistic blindness and committee-think, with a top-note of Bulgakov (but despite the blurb no Kerouac). Shot through with veins of twisted history and popular literature. Readers who have not yet studied Chinese may find the taste thin in places.
Jenni
While reading this book I was: confused, entertained, amazed. If I had known more about China etc. before reading this book I would have enjoyed it more. I still liked it though!
Daniel
Not sure whether I like this book. It's got someone interesting ideas, some LOL moments and some bizarre incidents, but I feel a lot of what is going on is lost in translation and the ending I felt was rather odd (like the author just thought: "**** IT!"). Maybe that was the point though.
Adriana
Cargado de humor e ironía.
Considero que es necesario un buen entendimiento de la situación Sociopolítica china para poder disfrutar realmente de este libro.
Bajo mi punto de vista personal, me resulta cargante el "exceso" paródico.

Joshua
Not bad, it got good reviews and I liked it a bit. It's written by a Chinese man and it gives great insight into some aspects of the Chinese culture, along with an entertaining story line.
Emma
I wanted to read some books set in Beijing before I went to China. Interesting and thought provoking.
Carolina
Carolina marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Hazel Shillingford
Hazel Shillingford marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Naomi
Naomi added it
Dec 01, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Melaslithos
Melaslithos marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Rainah
Rainah marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Linus Vieira
Linus Vieira marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Dustin
Dustin marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
M. Nappi
M. Nappi marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Trev
Trev marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Ana Maria
Ana Maria marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Elss Library
Elss Library marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Gra
Gra marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Alexghrd
Alexghrd marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Ingrid Joselyne
Ingrid Joselyne marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
  • What Does China Think?
  • The Vagrants
  • Dream of Ding Village
  • English: A Novel
  • The Journey to the West, Volume 1 (Journey to the West)
  • Peking Story: The Last Days of Old China
  • Daughter of the River: An Autobiography
Wang Shuo(王朔) is a Chinese author, director, actor, and cultural icon. He has written over 20 novels, television series and movies. His work has been translated into Japanese, French, English, Italian, and many other languages. He has enormous cultural status in China and has become a nationally celebrated author.
More about Wang Shuo...
Playing for Thrills 看上去很美 [Could Be Beautiful] 動物凶猛 Dong wu xiong meng (Chuang jian wen ku) 我是你爸爸 Oberchaoten.