Start by marking “Principles of Macroeconomics” as Want to Read:
Principles of Macroeconomics

Principles of Macroeconomics

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  17 reviews
PRINCIPLES OF MACROECONOMICS, Sixth Edition, became a best seller after its introduction and continues to be the most popular and widely used text in the economics classroom. Instructors found it the perfect complement to their teaching. A text by a superb writer and economist that stressed the most important concepts without overwhelming students with an excess of detail ...more
Paperback, Sixth Edition, 645 pages
Published February 4th 2011 by South Western Educational Publishing (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Principles of Macroeconomics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Principles of Macroeconomics

Mirek Kukla
In short: not quite as great as "Principles of Microeconomics", but still well-written, informative, and very accessible.

For better or for worse, "Principles of Macroeconomics contains not a shred of math. While this might make for a terrible course textbook, it makes for great leisure reading (well - if you condition on the fact that you are, after all, reading an econ textbook). Mankiw aims to build your intuition, and altogether, he does a pretty good job.

You learn about how GDP is measured,
Crwth
Jun 24, 2012 Crwth is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I read parts of this book when I took the course, three or four years ago, as I started yet another undergraduate degree. Now that I'm no longer able to pursue that, I'm finding my interest in economics is still piqued, and thus I'm revisiting this text, along with my others, front-to-back, to keep the knowledge fresh and to learn the material that wasn't covered by my instructors at the time.
Olga
An absolute must-read for everyone who hasn't had a maroeconomics ourse in their undergrad. The book offers a simple and concise explanation of the main concepts line interest and exchange rates, monetary and fisal policies etc. After reading this, you'll be able to identify all the bullshit that the FT authors are selling you :)
Christina
I have never had so much fun reading a textbook in my entire school career. It’s quite obvious that Principles of Macroeconomics was written for someone who has never studied economics before. I felt like I was having a conversation with the author of the textbook rather than reading a textbook.
Aditya Dixit
top class!!!anyone can easily learn economic theory by this.
Adam R
The first 3/4s of the book were simple enough, easy to get through. The last quarter of the book got really dense, but I think the drag of a semester added to that. Overall it is a good basic look at macroeconomics.
Judith
I had access to an online version through Aplia and I read that too. The writing style is excellent and the layouts are nice, but I would have liked more explanation of the formulas.
Love the clear, linear style of the book. Super compatible with my outlining style. Easy to read and understand. Easy to understand diagrams and formulas.
Tanya
Well, it was my text-book in the university and I liked it pretty much. It's easy-to-read and has a lot of true-to-live interesting examples and articles
Anna
I have never actually enjoyed reading a textbook before. This was so well written, I understood the concepts and thoroughly enjoyed it to boot.
Hisham
Enjoyed the first few chapters ( about 1 till 4 ) and the last two

The other chapters were boring
Mike
Its sort of strange rating a text book - but it was quite good. I mean I enjoyed reading it.
Ray
LOL read it in summer in 1 week...For course book for uni, it was not a bad read.
Liberty
More or less better than the microeconomics. But not in depth. Of course!
Felix
Stopped reading. Was the wrong textbook for my course.
Steph
reading this for class
Slav
Quite good explanations :)
Gabriella
Gabriella marked it as to-read
Cregia Lin
Cregia Lin is currently reading it
Zahid
Zahid marked it as to-read
Marco Bodnár
Marco Bodnár marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Matea Sučić
Matea Sučić marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Taegan O'Hara
Taegan O'Hara marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
  • Introduction to Business [With Booklet]
  • The Economics of Money, Banking, and Financial Markets (Addison-Wesley Series in Economics)
  • Reinventing the Bazaar: A Natural History of Markets
  • The Big Three in Economics: Adam Smith, Karl Marx, and John Maynard Keynes
  • The Cartoon Introduction to Economics: Volume One: Microeconomics
  • Economic Sophisms
  • Macroeconomics
American "new keynesian" macroeconomist. From 2003 to 2005, Mankiw was the chairman of President Bush's Council of Economic Advisors.He has since resumed teaching at Harvard, taking over the introductory economics course Social Analysis 10. More at Wikipedia.
More about N. Gregory Mankiw...
Principles of Economics Macroeconomics Principles of Microeconomics Essentials of Economics Economics