Start by marking “Principles of Macroeconomics” as Want to Read:
Principles of Macroeconomics

Principles of Macroeconomics

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,255 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
PRINCIPLES OF MACROECONOMICS, Sixth Edition, became a best seller after its introduction and continues to be the most popular and widely used text in the economics classroom. Instructors found it the perfect complement to their teaching. A text by a superb writer and economist that stressed the most important concepts without overwhelming students with an excess of detail ...more
Paperback, Sixth Edition, 645 pages
Published February 4th 2011 by South Western Educational Publishing (first published August 1st 1991)

Abram Dorrough
I agree with Mankiw on many issues, and he explains complicated matters clearly, though a little too simply at times. His bias does come through once in a while.
Muhammad al-Khwarizmi
Oct 11, 2013 Muhammad al-Khwarizmi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics, crap
I want to get a better grasp of mainstream macroeconomic theory, even if I don't necessarily agree with it, so I picked up Mankiw's text, which is considered a standard and is more or less up to date with the Global Financial Crisis of 2007 and 2008 and its aftermath. Unfortunately, I started smelling trouble when I saw that the equation for money demand included an exponent d which was magically whisked away on the page right after it was introduced. If that exponent is supposed to be equal to ...more
Mirek Kukla
In short: not quite as great as "Principles of Microeconomics", but still well-written, informative, and very accessible.

For better or for worse, "Principles of Macroeconomics contains not a shred of math. While this might make for a terrible course textbook, it makes for great leisure reading (well - if you condition on the fact that you are, after all, reading an econ textbook). Mankiw aims to build your intuition, and altogether, he does a pretty good job.

You learn about how GDP is measured,
Jurij Fedorov
For a layman like me this book was not that great.

Pro:
It does cover much of macroeconomics and covers it with mathematical formulas. This book would be perfect for a university student or someone who likes math. This is also a good book for the student who wants an very easy to go to introduction to his field. Very presice and easy to read.

Con:
I didn't do the different tests or answer the questions after every chapter as I am a layman reading it to understand the principles not the calculations.
Mohammad Saif
It concentrates on models more than real economy and many assumptions made are not stated in the book.
Lan Tô Thị Hoàng
Đây là một quyển sách nói về kinh tế học bằng TRANH. Tuy nhiên, cho dù các bạn đang hoạt động trong BẤT KỲ LĨNH VỰC GÌ thì quyển sách này cũng đều HỮU ÍCH và DỄ HIỂU đối với các bạn.
Hồi xưa giờ mình thường nghĩ là, kinh tế học thì chỉ quan tâm đến tài chính, tiền nong, buôn bán,... nói chung lả sặc mùi tiền bạc (và tội lỗi?). Tuy nhiên, quyển sách này đã cho mình thấy, bằng cách quan tâm đến lĩnh vực kinh tế và phát triển kinh tế, người ta đã làm xã hội phát triển và thay đổi ra sao.
Bộ sách này
Mjaballah
I had to read this book for a paper I am setting in. The author is famous for pushing neoliberalist and capitalist ideas, where in 2009 I believe, his class staged a walk out during his basic economics lecture in Harvard.
I thought the book clearly suffered from such enforced neoliberal assumptions and economic models. But it overall was not a bad intro in the basics of macroeconomics. He does a good job of pointing out assumptions that are built into the models.
M
Apr 28, 2011 M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010, ppe, 2011
3.5 stars, mostly because I have a collection later today (mock exam) and I'm using the other book more than this one. Sadly does not cover the Mundell-Fleming model (and other things, I just can't think of them right now) in enough detail, and I can't find anything on the balanced budget multiplier. And there isn't enough maths in here. Also, because my lecturer confused me, I'm relying on this book more, which isn't exactly related but probably the reason it's rounded down instead of up.
Vincent Lombardozzi
Good overview of macroeconomics. A little tougher to digest in the later chapters. The book doesn't explore anything post-1999, so I feel like it's missed out on a great deal of useful information. Too much reliance on charts to explain ideas than simple wording. But it's not bad for a textbook.
Justin Martin
Dec 21, 2010 Justin Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this MacroEcon course. The book is a great introduction to macroeconomics and domestic policy associated with economics. The text book is very well written. It has a small portion on international econ, but mostly deals with macroeconomic principles and theories from a general level.
Olga
Mar 26, 2013 Olga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolute must-read for everyone who hasn't had a maroeconomics ourse in their undergrad. The book offers a simple and concise explanation of the main concepts line interest and exchange rates, monetary and fisal policies etc. After reading this, you'll be able to identify all the bullshit that the FT authors are selling you :)
Micah Neely
Brief enough to review for a lightweight test (CLEP), comprehensive enough for someone with little background. Personally, I like a little calculus with my introductory science survey textbooks, but you can't have everything you want.

The graphs are an excellent self-study tool. Skim some of the paragraphs and meditate on the multi-part graphs.
Maryam Slim
An economist must be “mathematician, historian, statesman, philosopher, in some degree . . . as aloof and incorruptible as an artist, yet sometimes as near the earth as a politician.” (Keynes)

It's a decent book for mainly new student who are not familiar with the macroeconomics, it can help them to understand new terms and guide them step by step.
Crwth
Jun 02, 2012 Crwth is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I read parts of this book when I took the course, three or four years ago, as I started yet another undergraduate degree. Now that I'm no longer able to pursue that, I'm finding my interest in economics is still piqued, and thus I'm revisiting this text, along with my others, front-to-back, to keep the knowledge fresh and to learn the material that wasn't covered by my instructors at the time.
David E
A very thorough book. The author has a clear picture of what is going on in the world's economy. The author gives clear, relevent examples of the subjects discussed in the book. Though "weighty" in spots, I recommend this book to someone wanting more information for a class in Economics. Just read it slowly - and allow time for the material to soak in, Enjoy!
Sara
Nov 09, 2015 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The author is not able to explain macroeconomics in a way that makes any sense at all to me. It quite literally made me cry each time I started to read it. Luckily I passed my economics class, so I never have to torture myself with this book again.
Adam R
Jan 07, 2012 Adam R rated it liked it
The first 3/4s of the book were simple enough, easy to get through. The last quarter of the book got really dense, but I think the drag of a semester added to that. Overall it is a good basic look at macroeconomics.
Steve Carroll
Dec 16, 2011 Steve Carroll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
extremely clear writing about Macro. I found this really useful for understanding at least some of what's going on in the world now. It's very balanced... yes, Mankiw does some punditry but he takes the presentation of all sides of arguments in this text very seriously and it shows.
Mark Fitz
Mar 31, 2012 Mark Fitz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My undergrad Macro book. Believe it or not I still have it. I also have a later edition a friend of mine sent me as she works at the publisher who does his book. I actually read his newer text book for recreation. Not cover to cover but a good chunk of it.
Christina
I have never had so much fun reading a textbook in my entire school career. It’s quite obvious that Principles of Macroeconomics was written for someone who has never studied economics before. I felt like I was having a conversation with the author of the textbook rather than reading a textbook.
Mizi Yalalt Chamd
good book
Yilin Peng
Sep 11, 2014 Yilin Peng rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clearly presented, with a flavor of the intensity and complexity of the central economic debates.
Well exemplified and to-the-point.

Really wish I'd read it earlier in my study of economics.
Elizabeth Miller
working on the 7th addition. very clear explanations of somewhat complicated macro concepts.
Juicemelon amalia
Nov 30, 2007 Juicemelon amalia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
buku kuliah euy
Hisham
Dec 13, 2013 Hisham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-parts
Enjoyed the first few chapters ( about 1 till 4 ) and the last two

The other chapters were boring
Slav
Aug 16, 2010 Slav rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite good explanations :)
Tatiana
Oct 24, 2009 Tatiana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Well, it was my text-book in the university and I liked it pretty much. It's easy-to-read and has a lot of true-to-live interesting examples and articles
Marie
This book offers a very good introduction to macroeconomics - everything is exemplified and explained in a very straight forward way (and with a good deal of humour). I highly recommend it.
wrecked_life
Aug 28, 2014 wrecked_life rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very comprehensive book on macroeconomic
Aditya Dixit
Jan 15, 2014 Aditya Dixit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
top class!!!anyone can easily learn economic theory by this.
  • Advanced Macroeconomics
  • International Economics: Theory and Policy
  • Intermediate Microeconomics: A Modern Approach
  • Econometric Analysis
  • Microeconomics
  • Microeconomic Theory
  • The Economics of Money, Banking, and Financial Markets (Addison-Wesley Series in Economics)
  • Economics
  • Game Theory for Applied Economists
  • Fundamental Methods of Mathematical Economics
  • A course in Game Theory
  • A Guide To Econometrics
  • The Subprime Solution: How Today's Global Financial Crisis Happened, and What to Do about It
American "new keynesian" macroeconomist. From 2003 to 2005, Mankiw was the chairman of President Bush's Council of Economic Advisors.He has since resumed teaching at Harvard, taking over the introductory economics course Social Analysis 10. More at Wikipedia.
More about N. Gregory Mankiw...