Start by marking “Bone And Cane” as Want to Read:
Bone And Cane

Bone And Cane (Bone & Cane #1)

In Nottingham, 1997, Labour MP Sarah Bone celebrates a successful campaign to secure an appeal for convicted murderer Ed Clark. But she soon discovers that he might be guilty after all. Driven to uncover the truth about Ed, she also has to fight the most important election of a generation, one she is expected to lose. Nick Cane is also fresh out of prison. Working illegall ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Tindal Street (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bone And Cane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone And Cane

Pauline Ross
This is a British political thriller and murder mystery combined set in Nottingham. A couple who were lovers at university have been separated by time and differing circumstances - Sarah Bone is now a Labour MP, Nick Cane is just released from a five year prison stint for growing and distributing dope. The murder mystery concerns a man acquitted after an appeal which Sarah helped to orchestrate, but who she discovers might be guilty after all. The story takes as its backdrop the 1997 General Ele ...more
Martin Cooper
Jun 12, 2011 Martin Cooper rated it it was ok
David Belbin's novel has been in the top ten at amazon.co.uk for several weeks. It introduces an "unusual and dynamic crime partnership", according to regional fiction specialists Tindal Street Press (a pretty dynamic bunch themselves - three Booker nominations since 2003).

Sarah Bone is young, female and a Labour MP, still in opposition in early 1997. She has made a name for herself as a campaigner for penal reform. The book opens at a party to celebrate the release of a man wrongly convicted fo
jazz-ee2
Jul 04, 2011 jazz-ee2 rated it really liked it
Reading for The Walk Cafe Book Club, meeting Thursday 28th July at 7pm.

Political crime thriller set in Nottingham, I don't do politics in books and really wasn't looking forward to this, however once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. It's not necessarily gritty or fast paced as a crime thriller, however for me the character worked well, giving a sense of time, place and person.

Set against the backdrop of the 1997 general election where Labour won by a landlside majority, it tells the
Kate
Jun 18, 2011 Kate rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
This was on offer for £1 on Kindle. Was the first book I read on Kindle iPad app, and enjoyed the experience.

Liked the fact that I recognised a lot of the settings in the book (being a local lass), the book kept my attention and I stayed up later than I should in order to finish it. Didn't particularly warm to the characters, but overall a good read, and good value for money.

Not particularly interested in reading any of Belbin's other books.
Rita
Jul 02, 2011 Rita rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club, nottingham
The Walk Book Club book for July 2011. Meeting on 28th July at 7pm.

I would have preferred it if this was just a crime novel. I found the election stuff boring. Liked reading about places that I know in Nottingham and the caves were mentioned. It didn't take long to read but I don't think I'll read more by this author.
Heather
Read this book in a day, but it's not overly long. Gave it 3 stars. Yes I enjoyed it but felt the end left me a little cold. No real resolutions or outcomes. Well written and an easy read. Didn't quite get why some characters did what they did even though the author tried to round it all off. But all in all an enjoyable read.
John
Mar 31, 2014 John rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime-thriller
I added this to my to-read list following a brief, but positive review in "The Times", but I was disappointed. To my mind the combination of politics and crime did not work well and although the basic premise was interesting neither the plotting nor the actual writing were strong enough to take it forward so as to be really interesting.
Rachel
May 15, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Nicely written crime thriller; quite 'gritty' and very British. The politics angle gives it an extra edge, and the characters are interesting and well rounded. The setting - Nottingham, 1997, as Labour win a landslide - is particularly well done.
Paula Michel
Dec 22, 2014 Paula Michel rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
Was a bit hesitant to read but once I started I whizzed through it and found it really good. I'm looking forward to reading the follow on .
Jack
Apr 04, 2011 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable mystery set against the backdrop of the 1997 general election.
Efremis
May 17, 2013 Efremis rated it really liked it
A gripping page turner.
David Highton
Pretty good novel, a bit of an unsolved crime running through it but not really a thriller, some political context and old/new Labour background - quite enjoyed it
Wend
Jan 26, 2016 Wend rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviews seem to be mixed. For me I really enjoyed the story and it kept me engrossed. Will look out for another story by David Belbin.
Brian
Oct 05, 2011 Brian added it
Distressing, yet compelling read.
Belinda
Jun 13, 2011 Belinda rated it liked it
Good holiday read
Noel Rodrigues
Noel Rodrigues rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2015
Gillian
Gillian rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Lisa Elrick
Lisa Elrick rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2011
liz liddall
liz liddall rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Jacquie
Jacquie rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2013
Nicholas Ryan
Nicholas Ryan rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
April
April rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2015
SUZANNE CRUSE
SUZANNE CRUSE rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2015
Chris Chanona
Chris Chanona rated it liked it
May 12, 2016
David Atkinson
David Atkinson rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Fiona
Fiona rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2012
Jane K
Jane K rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Anne Parker
Anne Parker rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Unquiet Heart (Danny McRae, #2)
  • The Hunger Trace
  • Waterline
  • Leela's Book
  • Spring
  • Ours Are the Streets
Belbin's work is known for breaking boundaries and dealing responsibly with difficult social issues that affect teenagers. He first attained success with a number of books for Scholastic's Point Crime series.
More about David Belbin...

Bone & Cane (2 books)