Before That Night

Before That Night

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  1,294 ratings  ·  53 reviews
A prequel novella to ONE NIGHT THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING…

Sixteen-year-old Eliza Sellman is shocked when the most popular guy in school, Cooper Marriatti, starts to take an interest in her. It isn’t long until they’re spending all their time together, and on the surface, Cooper seems to be the perfect boyfriend.

But weird text messages, a shady friend, and her own insecurities...more
Published December 19th 2010

Perfect Chemistry by Simone ElkelesRules of Attraction by Simone ElkelesThe DUFF by Kody KeplingerChain Reaction by Simone ElkelesShadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
Young Adult Fiction With Sex
73rd out of 453 books — 1,286 voters
Perfect Chemistry by Simone ElkelesRules of Attraction by Simone ElkelesBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireThe DUFF by Kody KeplingerLeaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles
YA Romance-Unlikely Couples
34th out of 88 books — 344 voters

More lists with this book...

Jamie
The last book i read from Lauren was my guilty pleasure devon delancy.I enjoyed the prequel it 's hearwarming story about how Cooper and Eliza met.Boy meets girl story ,cooper is a ladies man and Eliza is a teen that deals with real issues dating, boys, mean girls and trying to fit in how they seem like an unlikely couple because they have different social standings. It's cute how Cooper accepted her for who she is and the story why she breaks up with him. Fans of lauren or one night that change...more
Rachel
Note: Although I own One Night That Changes Everything it is currently in my TBR pile so I read this prequel with no previous knowledge about the story.

Before That Night can be read prior to reading One Night That Changes Everything. It might even be better to read it beforehand as it really gives you a clear picture of who the characters are and the events that lead up to Eliza and Cooper’s breakup – the basis for the book. Eliza is the nice girl and Cooper, a popular senior, is most definitely...more
Milena
I found this short story through a quick Google search, but for those too lazy here's the link: laurenbarnholdt.com/wp-content/upload...

I highly recommend reading this AFTER you've read One Night That Changes Everything or else much of the book's mystery will be spoiled for you.

Before That Night offers snippets of Eliza and Cooper's relationship, from the initial stages when he first talks to her to the night Eliza finds out something terribly Cooper has done and breaks up with him.

An easy and s...more
Minas
This is a prequel novella to ONE NIGHT THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING by Lauren Barnholdt.

You can read it here: http://laurenbarnholdt.com/beforethat...
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
Really enjoyed reading how the characters met and I'm looking forward to starting One Night that Changes Everything. =)
Xenia
"And before I know what's going on, before I can tell myself it's a bad idea, before I can remind myself what a complete player he is and what he allegedly did to Phoebe Smith, Cooper kisses me. Right there, in the hallway, in front of everyone.
"Hi," he says to me when he pulls away. He grins. I am so screwed."

"Before That Night" is a prequel novella to "One Night That Changes Everything", and fixes the biggest problem I had with the latter, namely that there is a certain lack of details on Coo...more
Andie Z
Read this review and more on my blog From A to Z

I know, it's a lame description, right? But that’s really exactly what this story is. We get to read about what happened from the moment Eliza and Cooper started talking at the paintball arcade where Eliza works, right up until she goes through his stuff and finds the incriminating list from the 318’s, thus ending their relationship and kicking off the events of One Night That Changes Everything.

Before That Night is a wonderful, fun revisit to the...more
Joti
HNGC Library
Before that Night is cute but short - glad I waited to read One Night that Changes Everything until I read Before that Night. In Before that Night Eliza and Cooper meet and have the perfect relationship until Eliza finds a crumpled up paper that leads her to believe that Cooper has only been dating her to fulfill an initiation dare.
Panda
i think the reason that i don't like this is simple. i forgot it was a novella, or rather did not realise quite how short that made it. my trusty ereader told me it was a nice 70 pages long which while not brilliant was decent enough. Little did i know that 28 of those pages were a "sneak peak" into the original novel. in the beginning in the opening scene with crazy coupon man i settled in for a more in-depth version of what happened to them "BEFORE" but really i was not given much after the me...more
Kieli
I read this after I read One Night That Changes Everything, and I liked it but there wasn't enough depth and it felt rushed, although there were some details and it was really interesting to read what happened before that one night. But in One Night, Cooper says (spoiler alert) that he forgot the real reason he asked Eliza out in the first place, but in Before That Night he acts all weird because of Tyler and what he's making him do, so obviously he didn't "forget," but still I think in the One...more
Makii
Este libro es la precuela de One Night That Changes Everything y es perfecto para desarrollar la trama que viene. No desarrolla mucho de ellos, mas allá de como se conocen y un vistazo a sus semanas de noviazgo, pero corta en el momento clave, y te da ganas de saber que pasa realmente.
En estos momentos, no soy muy fan del prota, Cooper. Parecía tan lindo, tierno, pero estoy deseando ir a leer la historia y conocer que paso realmente, que motivos tuvo para traicionar así a Eliza, y saber que pasa...more
Shxrxn
But if I’m being completely honest, I’m not that good with hot boys. Hot boys are extremely unpredictable, which makes it hard to figure out their motives.
- Eliza
This is how girls get themselves in all kinds of trouble. They start paying attention to the bolts of electricity in their stomachs. And as history has shown, listening to bolts of electricity is like, the worst thing you can do. It always ends with heartbreak and trauma.
- Eliza
It’s just girls telling girls things that aren’t true, in a...more
is mee... kissa
Don't like the protagonist. (view spoiler)
Erica
Before That Night was such a fun insight to what happened before One Night That Changes Everything. I was instantly swept back in Eliza's world, and really reading Before That Night Made me want to go start reading One Night That Changes Everything once again. I just love Lauren Barnholdt's writing, and this was such a fun little snippet. I was so sad when it was over, as I just didn't want this one to end.
Anncleire
Prequel di "One night that changes everything" ( qui la mia recensione: http://pleaseanotherbook.tumblr.com/p...) è assolutamente interessantissimo anche perchè Cooper Marriatti è un personaggio interessante e assolutamente indimenticabile che ha tutte le ragioni per comportarsi in una determinata maniera.
Leggete la Barnholdt non ve ne pentirete!
Kerri
This is the prequel to 'One Night That Changes Everything," which is a book that I really enjoyed. I think it is important to mention that "Before That Night" is a very short prequel yet just as enjoyable to read. For those readers who enjoyed "One Night... - you will definitely want to read this preamble to see how everything lead up to that final crazy night.
This prequel novella made me go back and reread One Night That Changes Everything. It reinforces why their relationship deserved a second look. Cooper can be so sweet, but you get a very biased (and angry) view of him (for the first while anyway) in One Night.
The problem with this: too short! but that's the point, I know.
Samantha Jo
Cute, super quick read. I was able to easily put myself back into Eliza and Coopers relationship. I just wish there was a little more substance! But I love Lauren Barnholdt, and any story that mentions the clean teens and One Tree Hill are perfect in my mins :)
Kendra
I really loved this book. After I
finished One Night That Changes Everything I couldn't wait to read this one. Sadly I couldn't find a copy of this book so I had to wait until I got a nook. I recommend reading both of these you'll really enjoy them
Eves
It was kind of common, and it was kind of cliche, but I really still liked it because it made me see Cooper's really sensitive sweet side, and see why Eliza really freaked out and felt trampled in One Night That Changes Everything. A cute quick read.
Ann Banda
Waaaa! Me encanto&muero por leer el libro entero! Cooper es del tipo que me gustan; asi mujeriegos segun la gente pero luego descubres como son en realidad; me recuerda a Will Miller *.* pero quiero el libro YAAA! :)
GW
Awe, a cute novella! I read this after I read One night that Changes Everything, so ya know - I already knew what would happen. But nonetheless, loved reading this short blurb about Eliza and Cooper! Adorable!
Ambur
This prequel definitely made me want to reread One Night That Changes everything, you can find it free for download on Lauren Barnholdt's blog, here: http://laurenbarnholdt.com/beforethat...
Paola
I loved how this story started! Cooper semeed like a really nice guy but what he did was unforgivable! Anyway you so have to read One Night that changes everything! You'll love it.
Rosa
No me convenció.
Eliza me pareció... ¿Cómo lo digo? Estúpida.

Me sorprendió el que no me gustara por que he leído otras cosas de Lauren y no había conseguido esta reacción.
Meidinah Lisa
Uhmm...typical novella...
But if u not read the prequel (?)...u just want to throw ur e-reader..thank god I read 'one night that changes everything' first....
:-)
Gale
Excellent novella by Lauren Barnholdt! It's a good thing I already have One Night That Changes Everything or I'll be really devastated
S
Thank goodness I read them in order or I would've been aggravated. lol. I liked this better than the story it was a prequeled to.
  • Forbidden Boy
  • Rich Boys (Island Summer, #2)
  • The Wrong Path
  • Magic Hands
  • Caleb + Kate
  • Meet Me at the Boardwalk
  • The Boyfriend Game (First Kisses, #5)
  • The Star Shack
  • Second Kiss (Second #1)
  • So Over You
  • Never Say Never
  • His Eyes
  • His Kiss
  • So Inn Love
Two-Way Street Sometimes It Happens One Night That Changes Everything The Thing About the Truth Aces Up