Start by marking “Asking the Right Questions: A Guide to Critical Thinking” as Want to Read:
Asking the Right Questions: A Guide to Critical Thinking

Asking the Right Questions: A Guide to Critical Thinking

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  349 ratings  ·  39 reviews
For all level Critical Thinking, Argumentative Writing, and Informal Logic courses. This highly popular text helps students bridge the gap between simply memorizing or blindly accepting information, and the greater challenge of critical analysis and synthesis. It teaches them to respond to alternative points of view and develop a solid foundation for making personal choice...more
Published May 28th 2003 by Longman (first published 1981)

Megan Dascoli
Sep 27, 2007 Megan Dascoli rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every person who talks.
This book is very accessible to all levels of yound adult and adult readers. It is broken down into 12 critial thinking questions that you ask when someone presents you with an argument to determine if the argument makes sense. The process is simple and is very valuable to apply to every situation where some one is trying to influence your opinion. This means arguements, advertisements, articles. It is practical, builds on itself, and presents many examples to test your comprehension and ability...more
Jeffrey
This is pretty good. If you want to know how to think (I know "How to think? That's stupid, but really . . .) then this is a good one. Used this several times. It's a pretty easy read and helps you think critically, logically, to avoid fallacies . . . all the good critical thinking stuff. If you don't know about this stuff and never took the course in high school, it's not only going to help you analyze stories better but think more successfully in work, school, community and more. Essential stu...more
Shaymaa A.
يتطلب منا التفكير الناقد أن نطبِّق الأسئلة الناقدة على كافة الإدعاءات، بما فيها تلك الخاصة بنا. من خلال إجبار أنفسنا على النظر إلى معتقداتنا الأولية بشكل ناقد، فإننا نحمي أنفسنا من التقيُّد والخداع الذاتي. من السهل أن نتمسك فقط بالمعتقدات الحالية، خاصةً عندما يشاركها العديد من الناس.

إن التفكير الناقد لا يجبرنا بالضرورة أن نتخلى عن معتقداتنا الأولية. بل يمكنه أن يوفر أساسًا لتعزيزها؛ لأن الفحص الناقد لتلك المعتقدات سيعزز في بعض الأحيان التزامنا الأصلي بها.
D
Oct 18, 2008 D rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Shelves: nonfiction
Why didn't I read this book when I was younger?!(Slams palm to forehead)
Mark
Very very good book on critical thinking.
Dave B.
‘Asking the right Questions’ was a great book for two reasons. First, it provides several relevant examples. Second, the book is concise and only presents essential information. I compare it to Strunk and White’s ‘Elements of Style,’ the classic grammar reference for avoiding needless fluff or pointless anecdotes. It’s about 180 pages and provides a great companion book for Paul & Elder’s ‘Critical Thinking: tools for taking charge of your professional and personal life’. The following is a...more
David Stephens
Asking the Right Questions provides readers with a solid walk through of how to critically analyze a formal or informal piece of argumentative writing. It clearly lists the steps one needs to take to understand and evaluate an argument, which it thinks of as a "sponge and filter" approach. First, readers must absorb the information presented by doing any of the following: summarizing, finding the thesis and reasons for support, rooting out any ambiguity, and finding the writer's underlying assum...more
Todd Allen
I’ve neither taken a course in critical thinking nor have I read any other books on the subject. After reading this short-yet-comprehensive work, I’ve come to the opinion that the incorporation of the subject matter it contains is of great importance for everyone. Browne and Keeley’s tome catalogues and dissects the many entanglements inherent in the communications we receive, process and judge. Outlined is a menu of critical thinking tools, built upon multiple revisions and improvements, and ai...more
Matt Strohmeyer
Very accessible but somewhat simplistic view of Critical Thinking. Mostly practical with little discussion of the theoretical / interdisciplinary approach to foster critical thinking. Ideas of the "sponge" and "panning for gold" provide good analogies of how to learn with a critical eye.
Muhammad  Shalaby
finalword quote:
Your best strategy is to present yourself as someone, who like the person who made the argument in the first place is stumbling around, but always watchful for better conclusions. Openness is a central value of a critical thinker, and you show that openness by your eagerness to listen and discover. Whoever finds the better conclusion first is not relevant; what is important is the search for better conclusions. If you give signals to those trying to persuade you that you are thei...more
Huang Bingzhang
A must-read guide for all critical thinkers
Jeff Cai
to ask right question, first you need identify: conclusion, reasons, and then analyze reasons do make sense and conclusion can be inferred from those reasons.
أحمد دعدوش
كتاب مفيد وعملي
Igor
This is one of the most useful books I've ever read. It very much changed the way I think about many things, making me, as it so beautifully, and perhaps too flatteringly in my case called, a scientific skeptic. In any case, it teaches a few simple principles one should follow when assessing and evaluating information to avoid believing in things that are untrue. I think, that's one of the books that absolutely everybody should've read.
Delissa
It was dry but interesting.
Jeremy
Nov 04, 2008 Jeremy marked it as to-read
I didn't finish this. I really feel like I need to buy my own copy (checked out from the library) and use it as a tool to practice in conjunction with reading other information. Frankly, election research is a perfect way to practice the exercises in this book. I wish I had thought of it ahead of time. I will get my own copy to come back to this and work through the book.

Jacinta
Terrible. Probably worth reading if you are a high schooler who has not yet done any debating/formal arguments in english class, but if you're past that stage I hope you don't need it. I stopped reading a few chapters in when their interpretation of an authors point was so different to my own that I could only call them wrong.
David
This is something of a freshman college level textbook/guide for critical thinking. Some good information, but pretty basic and not a compelling presentation. The book struggles with offering a clear, powerful structure or systematic approach, and instead offered suggestions and tips on things to bear in mind.
Jodi
Probably the clearest articulation of how to approach and evaluate information in a general sense. This book should be the foundation of how educators approach all subjects: with the proliferation of information on the Internet, education should be more about evaluating information than dispersing it.
Amy
I very much enjoyed the class this was for. I feel like the chapters explained everything very well, and I was able to refer to it easily for the class. I only had trouble understanding one of the chapters, but overall, this was one of the better textbooks I have seen in my college career.
Rob Banks
I don't believe the authors presented any new information but it was well organized with examples to use for practicing each technique. It is the type of subject where most people can probably benefit from some reminders to help improve. This book is designed to provide that help.
Brian Yamabe
Some of the examples were leading or showed bias, but the book did a good job of presenting what to look for when you are presented with an argument. Will be a great tool in making sure my daughters can think critically about various subjects.
MisterFweem
Full review here: http://www.misterfweem.blogspot.com/2... In short, good book, if you can take their techniques beyond the typical shenanigans of your more smarty-pants YouTube commenters.
Janet
I liked how this book broke up into chapters each type of analysis so that it was easy to understand. Good examples at the end of each chapter to practice. The book makes it seem so much easier than when we critically analyze in class!
Khalid Alfeel
متوسط، مرتب جدا، يقدم لك طرق عملية وآليات منظمة لمناقشة الأفكار وقبل ذلك للنقد الذاتي الجاد.
الكتب ترجمه المركز القومي المصري للترجمة ورفعه للإنترنت علي مولا في مكتبته الإلكترونية سواء علي الفورشيرد أو الميديافيير.
Jessica
I received a free copy of this when I was teaching and another copy with my ethics reference book that I had to buy for my first MBA course. It is a decent guide to critical thinking.
David Reber
Good book on critical thinking. Easy to understand yet challenging. Perhaps better than the book with my instructor for this course. The best one yet for me at Baker U.
Kal judaia
I read it, it is very good introduction to critical thinking. I like the author strategy in developing critical thinking by transforming the skills to questions.
Landon
had to read it for a class... I didn't like it. I don't feel like it presented any information that isn't fairly common sense.
Mom
Man I wish I would have read this book my first semester of undergrad school! Amazing read for anyone to read!
  • Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life
  • A Rulebook for Arguments
  • Being Logical: A Guide to Good Thinking
  • Nonsense: Red Herrings, Straw Men and Sacred Cows: How We Abuse Logic in Our Everyday Language
  • How We Know What Isn't So: The Fallibility of Human Reason in Everyday Life
  • Don't Believe Everything You Think: The 6 Basic Mistakes We Make in Thinking
  • دستور الأخلاق في القرآن
  • An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural
  • Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student
  • A Concise Introduction to Logic (Book & CD-ROM)
  • Crimes Against Logic: Exposing the Bogus Arguments of Politicians, Priests, Journalists, and Other Serial Offenders
  • How to Think about Weird Things: Critical Thinking for a New Age
  • I Am Right You Are Wrong: From This to the New Renaissance: From Rock Logic to Water Logic
  • The Craft of Research (Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing)
  • Introduction to Logic
  • Thinking in Time (the Uses of History for Decision Makers)
  • Mindfire: Big Ideas for Curious Minds
  • Thank You for Arguing: What Aristotle, Lincoln, and Homer Simpson Can Teach Us About the Art of Persuasion
Striving for Excellence in College Striving for Excellence in College: Tips for Active Learning Tips for Active Learning Practical Business Ethics for the Busy Manager Prentice Hall Guide Philosophy on the Internet, Evaluating Online Resorces Prentice Hall Guide to English on the Internet: Evaluating Online Resources Political Science on the Internet 2001: Evaluating Online Resourses