Start by marking “Stone Brewing Co.'s Guide to Craft Beer: Recipes and Techniques from the Leading American Microbrewery” as Want to Read:

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Since its inception in 1996, Stone Brewing Co. has been the fastest growing brewery in the country—Beer lovers gravitate to its unique line-up which includes favorites such as Stone IPA and Arrogant Bastard Ale. This insider's guide focuses on the history of Stone Brewing Co., and shares homebrew recipes for many of its celebrated beers including Stone Old Guardian Barley ...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Ten Speed Press (first published August 2nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Stone Brewing Co.'s Guide to Craft Beer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone Brewing Co.'s Guide to Craft Beer

Clif Brittain
Mar 29, 2013 Clif Brittain rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beer geeks, San Diegans
Shelves: beer
Don't read this if you are happy with your Coors/Bud/Miller Lite. You are not worthy of my opinion.

I'm a big fan of hoppy beers and Stone is probably the boldest brewery when it comes to hoppy beer. I am still amused by the label of Arrogant Bastard Ale. Koch, Wagner and company are unrelenting in their scorn of industrial beer and Arrogant Bastard is the perfect antagonist to Bud.

Humility is a quality absent from this book. I get a sense it is in scarce supply in any aspect of the Stone operati
Benjamin Duffy
The book is broken into five parts: one, a history of Stone, as retold by people who were there; two, a detailed description of the elements of beer, including malt, hops, and yeast; three, a set of recipes from their brewpub/bistro; four, a description of every beer they've ever released, including one-off brews; and five, a set of detailed recipes and instructions for brewing several of their beers at home.

The first part was entertaining and fascinating, the food recipes look great, and the be
Kevin
A great book about entrepreneurial vision and how one can succeed even when that vision goes against the overwhelming tide of the majority. In fact how it may be the case that to be truly successful, monetarily and otherwise, it may be necessary to do so.

Some great nuggets of beer history and information if you are a beer nerd like me. There are short descriptions of each of Stone's brews, a brief history and tasting notes. In addition to the story of Stone, much of this book is recipes for home
Gary
What an amazing little book! I have been a Stone Fan since they first started up in San Marcos and I was glad to see and read about all the early history. Great beer ideas, interesting recipes from the Bistro.

I loved the chapter on the April Fools beers, back when he had time Greg used to send out the weirdest April Fools e mails. You never knew if he was serious or not. But, this book is serious.

The best pairing I can think of is a bottle of AB while enjoying this book...
Alice
This book is part Stone story, part encyclopedia, part cookbook, and part brewbook (that's like a cookbook with beer recipes). If you're a Stone fan, it's a great read and it can turn you into a walking encyclopedia of random Stone facts. If you're at all interested in the history of the craft brew movement in the US, it's not a stand-alone guide, but it's a good representation of Stone's part in the story. Plus the recipes are divine.
Matt Heavner
If you like beer, or especially if you are a brewer, this is a fun history of Stone, with a few great beer and food recipes. I borrowed this from the library, and now it is going on my gift wish list! I'd love to try all the food recipes and several of the beer recipes. At the top of my list are the variations on the Stone Smoked Porter. But which variation is hard to call-chipotle or vanilla? Both sound great!!
Jeffrey Lyons
Enjoyable walk through the history of one of the quintessential American craft breweries. Always entertaining and frequently more insightful than I expected. Great book for a newcomer to the craft beer world due to the sections about how to brew, food pairings, serving and cellaring tips, etc.

I would welcome a full length, in depth account of the Stone story in the vein of Part One of this book.
Mayumi
This is my favorite beer brand. I enjoyed reading about their story. I'm happy to have a list of Stone Brewing's past and current releases. Can't wait to see what they come up with in the future. The recipes sound delicious. I'll be making the Arrogant Bastard Onion Rings in the near future. A few of their beer recipes were included too.
Gingerwolverine
An interesting book very much from the perspective of the guys who set up, run and make Stone the fine brewer they are today. What made it worthwhile for me was the inclusion of beer recipes for some of their best beers with the exception of Arrogant Bastard Ale (and variants!) which remains a closely guarded secret.
Patrick
Easy read about brewing, Stone Brewing in particular, and it includes home brewing recipes of most of their beers as well as beer-related recipes from their restaurant's kitchen. What other brewery do you know that gives away its trade secrets like this? They practice what they preach.
Derek Springer
A good read if you're a fan of Stone (though you have to like parenthetical comments). Really worth it for the food/beer recipes.
Kimberly Vargas
Greg and his team at Stone are world class hosts, entertainers and beer craftsmen. Cheers!!!
Richard Gombert
Great book!
Allie
Allie added it
Jun 20, 2015
Thad
Thad marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Jack Perdue
Jack Perdue marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Peter Popkin
Peter Popkin marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Brad Woodlee
Brad Woodlee marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
brian
brian marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Aaron Jobes
Aaron Jobes marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Bonnie DaRienzo
Bonnie DaRienzo marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
max
max marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Wine Wars
  • Brew Like a Monk: Trappist, Abbey, and Strong Belgian Ales and How to Brew Them
  • IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale
  • Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation
  • Brewed Awakening: Behind the Beers and Brewers Leading the World's Craft Brewing Revolution
  • The Homebrewer's Companion
  • The Naked Pint: An Unadulterated Guide to Craft Beer
  • A Hedonist in the Cellar: Adventures in Wine
  • Tasting Beer: An Insider's Guide to the World's Greatest Drink
  • Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles
  • The Art and Craft of Coffee: An Enthusiast's Guide to Selecting, Roasting, and Brewing Exquisite Coffee
  • Brewing Better Beer: Master Lesson for Advanced Homeowners
  • Kitchen Mysteries: Revealing the Science of Cooking (Arts & Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History)
  • The Bartender's Bible: 1001 Mixed Drinks and Everything You Need to Know to Set Up Your Bar
The Brewer's Apprentice: An Insider's Guide to the Art and Craft of Beer Brewing, Taught by the Masters The Craft of Stone Brewing Co.: Liquid Lore, Epic Recipes, and Unabashed Arrogance Hal Leonard Guitar Method: Blues Guitar Rhythm Riffs: Over 200 Riffs in All Styles [With CD (Audio)] Hal Leonard Country Guitar Method (Hal Leonard Guitar Method)