Start by marking “Micawber: Micawber” as Want to Read:
Micawber: Micawber

Micawber: Micawber

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  38 reviews
A squirrel named Micawber loves the paintings he sees through the windows of the nearby art museum. One day he notices an artist copying the old masters, and he decides to do the same -- with surprising results.
In their second collaboration, best-selling author-illustrator team John Lithgow and C. F. Payne introduce children to the world of art through the eyes -- and pa
Published September 1st 2002 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Micawber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Micawber

Tami
Perhaps better known to adults for his stage and screen work, actor John Lithgow has an amazing body of work for children. His picture books are some of my (and my children’s) absolute favorites!

Topping the list for me is The Remarkable Farkle McBride. The story centers around a young boy who is a musical prodigy. He is able to master instrument after instrument with ease, but throws each one away as he becomes bored with it. Through an unfortunate illness on the part of the orchestra conductor
Dolly
Apr 02, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
This is a fun book about a squirrel who appreciates and creates art. We all enjoy John Lithgow's books; our girls love the musical song books the best, but his creativity and sense of humor and whimsy combine for some very memorable books.

The illustrations by C.F. Payne are very distinct and I always think of his Reader's Digest back covers when I see his pictures. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
VegasGal
How cute is this story about a painting squirrel! It has an excellent rhyming storyline that has a sprinkling of some words that I'm a bit embarrassed to admit, I actually didn't know the meaning of, but hey, we can all benefit by having a better vocabulary, children and adults included.
Jeannie
Citation: Micawber, John Lithgow, C.F. Payne (illustrator), (Simon & Schuster, 2002), 40p. Picture Book

Genre: Picture Book – Other/Fantasy

Summary: This story is about a squirrel Micawber) that is inspired by art. He is moved by the art in a museum so much, that he visits every week. He is fascinated watching an artist at work and accompanies her home, unannounced. He is so awestruck in his discovery of color in her supplies that he dares to become an artist himself!

Critique: a. The wonderfu
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 6/6/11 -

This was such a pleasant surprise! I didn't notice the authors name when I found this at the library. I didn't notice it when we got home and read along with the CD. I thought his voice sounded slightly familiar but I still didn't notice his name while listening/reading.
Finally, after finishing the book I happened to turn it over and whose face do I see? John Lithgow's! I'm no huge fan but I've always liked him well enough. I like him so much more now.
Julia and I r
Mhm Storytelling
Micawber is an adventurous squirrel who loves going to the Art Museum and one day ends up hiding in an artists bag. Once he gets to the artists house he starts to snoop around and finds that his tail is the perfect paint brush. After trying out some of the artists paints, he gets his own and paints many paintings. He then turns his home into an art gallery for all of his animal friends to admire.

Great Features: Very colorful illustrations

Themes/Topics: Squirrels, art, colors

Red Flag: He does use
Alana
Another of the first books that I purchased for my godson, John Lithgow's Micawber tells the story of a squirrel who loves art. Clearly set in Central Park with a view in to the Met, Micawber loves the paintings and art that he can see in the museum... so much so, that it inspires him to create art of his own. By stealing a few art supplies and using his tail as a brush, Micawber paints and opens his own treetop gallery. Absolutely adorable. Great illustrations and the telling includes a good vo ...more
Alice
Liked this book less than I Got Two Dogs and way more than Marsupial Sue. Its cute to think of an animal art gallery. This reminded me of Norman the Doorman.
Hannah
Adorable book about an art-loving squirrel. The more politically-minded adult in the room might worry about the consent issues involved with spying on a lady and stowing away in her bookbag, and then stealing her paints...but it's a freaking squirrel, so those people need to de-clutch their pearls and calm down.
Anyway, it is a most squee-worthy book! There are clever rhymes by an author that clearly knows how to use them and wonderful, unusual, fun-to-say words. Probably a good idea to preview t
Stacy
I loved this book. It was perfect because I love squirrels and art so I thought it was awesome!
Janna Huyler collins
As much fun to read as it is for the kids to listen to!
Ina
Through rhyming text and humorous illustrations, we meet, Micawber, a squirrel who discovers a talent for painting. My story time audience loved Micawber and the museum of art that he creates.
Rebecca
"Micawber's dull life, with its tedious toils,
All at once seemed a hundred times duller,
As he straddled a palette and squeezed out some oils
And discovered the wonders of COLOR!"

John Lithgow rhymes well (and really, very few can but Dr. Seuss), and Ohioan C.F. Payne does a wonderful job with photo-realistic illustrations of Micawber, the NYC squirrel with artistic ambition who paints with his tail. Seriously, just think "how would I paint a squirrel beaming with delight and discovery?" and then
Amber
Apr 30, 2013 Amber marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mere-childs-play
"An aspiring squirrel artist who paints with his tail–what’s not to love? Your wannabe artists will get a kick out of following the rather talented Micawber and his artistic endeavors. This is another book that is best read aloud to your kids, as there are a few vocabulary words in here that you might have to explain to your little ones. If you’re looking for more books in Lithgow’s repertoire, we also recommend The Remarkable Farkle McBride, especially if you’ve got a budding musician in your f ...more
Judy Lindow
Lots of rhyme and rhythm that make it fun to read and listen to! The detailed illustrations, subject matter, unusual story, and punchline make it appealing for many ages.

I use it because it describes how someone discovers their passion (in this case a squirrel), how they work towards their goals, and finally reap their reward and celebrate in the end. It's very upbeat and positive.

It's a good book for shared reading K-5.
B
like John Lithgow, like the premise for the book (cute story, lovely illustrations)... but the language is a poor fit for our almost 4-yr old (it reads like a poem for a 50 yr old). I'm all for expanding the vocabulary whenever possible, but it's written in adult language that could have easily been adapted for kids with a few small changes. editor, please?
Sue
This is a childrens picture book with an audio cd of the book read by the author. I love this book. It is a wonderfully imaginative story about a squirrel who loves art. The reading by John Lithgow is fantastic and adds so much to the story. I highly recommend it to anyone, whether you have children or not.
Gps
a squirrel loves art and finds an imaginative way to express himself. the rhyming add to the enjoyment of Lithgow's story and wonderful illustrations. some new words to learn along the way as well. a fun way to experience some art, learn about different colors, and enjoy the scenery in Central Park.
Jen
This is a cute little tale about a squirrel named Micawber who lives in the top of a carousel in New York City and loves art. My 6 y/o is a little artist, too, and loved the pictures that Micawber painted and how he painted. Fun to share with him!
Leslee Mahoney
This was a cute story and the illustrations were great as they broke the boundaries of a typical page and spread throughout both pages. Additionally, the pop open part at the end of the book was a nice surprise.
Sherri
Very cute book about a squirrel who becomes an amazing painter. Great for the rhyme and vocabulary! Lithgow's other book Mahalia Mouse Goes to College is even better. I need to look at all of his books.
Rivkah.
The plot was halarious and wonderful. The rhyming definitly gets stuck in your head after a bit. I thought the story line was very creative, and the fact that the squirral uses his tail as a brush...
Rachel
I loved this rhyming picture book about a squirrel who loves to go to the Metropolitan and look at art, and one day takes up a paint brush himself and does his own rendition of the classics.
Leona
squirrel sneaks into an artist's home and paints pictures. lovely rhyming text. great for elementary bedtime read. keep a dictionary nearby to look up all the challenging vocabulary words.
Pearl
This was cute, my mom enjoyed it more than I did bc of the art references. Some nice vocab I had to ask about.I'm gonna check out the rest of John's picture books and see what's going on.
Donella
You have to love a children's book about a squirrel who loves art. When you have to look up a word to make sure you know what it means...that's terrific! (peregrination)
Donna Hunt
a very cute poem book about a squrriel who loves art and decides to finally take it up using his tail end as a paintbrush. The ending of the story is very cute, it's a must see.
Siri
Definitely not a book to read to an entire class. There are too many big words in here, even some that an adult reader might not know or know how to explain easily.
Molly
I love this book, but if you're going to get it, make sure it has the audio CD with John Lithgow. The man is a brilliant orator.
Demetrius Rogers
John Lithgow is so talented in rendering a beautifully told story. This is one of our families favorites of his.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Book of Beasts
  • The Friend
  • Sheep in a Shop
  • The Island of the Skog
  • I Already Know I Love You
  • Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road?
  • The Whingdingdilly
Photo taken by David Shankbone
More about John Lithgow...
Drama: An Actor's Education The Poets' Corner: The One-and-Only Poetry Book for the Whole Family The Remarkable Farkle McBride I'm a Manatee: I'm a Manatee I Got Two Dogs