Start by marking “The Faber Book Of Beasts” as Want to Read:
The Faber Book Of Beasts

The Faber Book Of Beasts

The Faber Book of Beasts is a collection of many of the best poems in English about the creatures who share our planet. The animal kingdom has prompted some of the liveliest and most enjoyable writing by poets, from Homer to our contemporaries. Among the creatures gathered here, tame or wild; common or exotic, are mammals, reptiles, birds, insects, and others perhaps more ...more
Published January 1st 1998 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about The Faber Book Of Beasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Faber Book Of Beasts

Samir Rawas Sarayji
May 20, 2013 Samir Rawas Sarayji rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, own
A wonderful compilation of poetry including both old and new. The unifying theme is beasts, whether it is just a mention of a beast in a poem or a poem completely revolving around one, if it fits the criteria of Muldoon then he's included it. Another interesting aspect is that the poems are published alphabetically according to the type of beast featured. The collection includes poets such as Ted Hughes, D.H. Lawrence, Robert Browning, Emily Dickinson and many others.
Lu Wilson
Read as part of my OU module AA100 The Arts Past and Present. A collection of poetry, some good, some not so good (although to be honest poetry is not my thing)!
Ben
Mar 25, 2017 Ben rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I've always found poems unfulfilling to read; it seems like they end either far too quickly or drag on for far too long - there never seems to be an in-between. This was read as part of my university course and whilst I'm grateful for the opportunity to have been able to experience the writings of an eclectic mix of poets, I'm also rather disappointed that only a handful truly appealed to me.
Alexandra
Dec 31, 2015 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been powering through this book the past few days for my course. Well half for my course and half for myself, because not every poem needed to be read but I wanted to know for sure which poems i liked in this and you can only really do that if you read the whole anthology.

Anyway. Not every poem appealed to me, but that doesn't take the talent away from the authors. I liked the way it way it was organised. It's in alphabetical order, by poem title, so there's a nice mix of style, era of lang
Dave
Dec 29, 2014 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection is quite a mixed bag and not everything will suit one person's taste. For me, it was a revelation to discover some great poets ... and also learn some to avoid. My favourite poet's featured in this book are Ted Hughes, Seamus Heaney, Elizabeth Bishop, DH Lawrence, Thom Gunn, William Shakespeare and Walt Whitman.
Ceri
Apr 05, 2012 Ceri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good anthology. I've covered the chapter on my OU course dealing with this book so I'm marking it read although I haven't read every poem.
Tina
Mar 11, 2011 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
A lovely selection of animal poetry.
Amelia
Dec 19, 2016 Amelia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.75 stars. I read this book for university. It was okay. It was a good anthology of a wide range of poets, some undoubtedly better than others. Some poems were funny, some were cute, some were just downright strange.
Animal poetry isn't really my thing, but there were some that I did really enjoy, which is what brought the rating up slightly. Others were just dull and couldn't capture my attention and interest.
Jamrock
Dec 18, 2016 Jamrock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a set book for AA100, a core module of B.A. English Literature (and most Humanities undergraduate courses). I haven't ready every poem in this book as many take significant effort to analyse but I've read all the ones required for the module and skimmed the whole book to create my own mini-anthology. Poetry was a branch of literature that had previously eluded me and I've subsequently learned that poems are much like those 2D linear drawings; once someone has shown you how to look at the ...more
Andy Turton
A common theme (some linked only tenuously) but huge diversity of authors. Loved the Burns and Lawrence. A few others appealed but there were some big-hitters in the field that left me cold. Poetry is supposed to have reader appeal, isn't it?
Louie Reynolds
Jan 02, 2017 Louie Reynolds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some great poetry if you love beasties. Had to read for uni.
Mandy
Read what I needed to for the course, but haven't read any more. I find poetry offputting.
Helen
Sep 01, 2013 Helen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Probably an unfair rating- it's a set text for uni and poetry is definitely NOT my thing!
SpindelyShankz
SpindelyShankz rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Niall
Niall rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2016
Coffee Break
Coffee Break rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2011
Peter Willis
Peter Willis rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Kirsty Campbell
Kirsty Campbell rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2015
Helen Aistrop
Helen Aistrop rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
May 08, 2011
Jen
Jen rated it did not like it
Apr 27, 2015
Tanja
Tanja rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2014
ChristinaJL
ChristinaJL rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Alison
Alison rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2015
Debs Lock
Debs Lock rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Chanel
Chanel rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2011
Lucy Clare
Lucy Clare rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Michelle Ford
Michelle Ford rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Steven Richards
Steven Richards rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2017
e.e.
e.e. rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A World of Difference: An Anthology of Short Stories from Five Continents
  • The Burial at Thebes: A Version of Sophocles' Antigone
  • AA100 The Arts Past and Present - Reputations (Book 1)
  • Collected Poems
  • Prufrock and Other Observations
  • By Heart: 101 Poems and How to Remember Them
  • Tales of Freedom
  • The Faber Book of Utopias
  • Paradise
  • Eros Unbound (Great Loves, #18)
  • Dancing at Lughnasa
  • Creative Writing: A Workbook with Readings
  • The Collected Stories
  • Corvus: A Life with Birds
  • The Riverside Milton
  • The Midnight Fox
  • The Lonely Londoners
  • The Search for Sana
Born in Northern Ireland, Muldoon currently resides in the US and teaches at Princeton University. He held the chair of Professor of Poetry at Oxford University from 1999 through 2004. In September 2007, Muldoon became the poetry editor of The New Yorker.

Awards:
1992: Geoffrey Faber Memorial Prize for Madoc: A Mystery
1994: T. S. Eliot Prize for The Annals of Chile
1997: Irish Times Irish Literature
More about Paul Muldoon...