Start by marking “Stoned: A Memoir of London in the 1960s” as Want to Read:
Stoned: A Memoir of London in the 1960s

Stoned: A Memoir of London in the 1960s

In 1963, Andrew Loog Oldham was a precocious hustler of genius on the London scene, with a keen eye for the next look and a willingness to gamble on it. He was all of nineteen when Brian Epstein took him on to be the Beatles’ London press agent, and already regarded as someone who could make things happen. But it was when he went to hear a relatively unknown blues combo pe ...more
Published April 24th 2002 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published May 25th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Stoned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stoned

Tosh
Sep 13, 2007 Tosh rated it it was amazing
I love Andrew Loog Oldham. "Stoned" is an uber-fascinating memoir of a talented man in a very gray London circ. 1950's, who helped move that city and pop culture into a world of technocolor.

For those who don't know, Oldham was the manager and record producer for the Rolling Stones circ. the 1960's. I can't think of another book that brings London culture in such sharp focus.
Kevin
Aug 04, 2011 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Fascinating glimpse into the life of the manager of the Rolling Stones. The guy is an interesting, ego-mad hustler, but smart as hell (he's also my favorite DJ on Sirius Satellite Radio). A lot of what he did with the Stones was taken to the nth degree later by people like Peter Grant and (especially) Malcolm McClaren with the Sex Pistols. Still this is a breezy, gossipy read with some of the most fascinating rock and roll characters ever, including the Beatles (he was their London publicist for ...more
Markku
Aug 29, 2012 Markku rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast talkin', jive-flippin, hipster of a book. Great context and interesting characters, nice peek-a-boo to swingin' London. Great testimonials of contemporaries.
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Manik-þunglyndissjúklingur og tískufrík sem uppgötvaði Stones og fleiri bönd in ðe sixtís. Mjög nákvæmlega er sagt frá öllu fram að ákveðnum tíma (1964) en svo er bókin bara búin þegar mesta fúttið er að fara að byrja -- frægðin rétt að byrja og karlinn að byrja að verða illasukkaður sukkari. Semsé, þétt framan af en ferlega endaslepp.
Bruce
May 28, 2013 Bruce rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A tough read due in part to the herky-jerky style of interconnected and random quotes and the many dated British phrases and expressions. It does offer a great history of the period, especially as it pertains to Oldham and his connection with the Stones but... It can get tedious and self congratulatory at times. But then again, it is about HIM.
Solor
Mar 16, 2012 Solor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lucky fad !!! Unforgivable - this bum claimed all rights on Verve's Bitter Sweet Symphony because he owned the paperwork of the instrumental. Every time u hear that tune on boring commercial, Andrew is cashing in!! Sorry for him, but I consider Oldham closer to a Simon Cowell than a Phil Spector.
Mauberley
Sep 10, 2010 Mauberley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't even finish it. The thing is lazily constructed as an "oral history", i.e., a collection of comments and recollections from various individuals arranged according to a timeline. Surely Loog Oldham could have more to say about Brian Jones. Top marks for such an inspired title.
McZine
Aug 11, 2013 McZine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took this one up expecting the same old swinging sixties anecdotes. I love to be proved wrong. A riveting and inspiring read. You can tell where the editor has slashed areas that could very well have been of much interest to us all but overall this book is a keeper.
Tom Morgan
It was good and entertaining. Interesting life. I think I'm just rock biography done for a bit. I kept putting this down to start other things and it felt like a chore rather than a joy...Perhaps I'll revisit another time.
Sheila Judson
Im having a hard time getting through this book. I think the next few are a bit funnier and more in keeping with the ALO on XM radio. The book jumps around from person to person talking about Andrew.
Norman Revill
Aug 04, 2014 Norman Revill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books about the early 60s, full of juicy anecdotes from people who were there. He's hardly got to the Stones by the time the book finishes. On to Volume 2.
Joseph
Jul 08, 2007 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is The Sweet Smell of Success of Rock and Roll.
Gary
Dec 19, 2013 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies, music
See other comments. Fascinating read...
Anna
Ottima come sempre la traduzione di Anna Mioni.
Jay
Apr 21, 2008 Jay rated it really liked it
Great to get all those memories.
Leigh Roberts
Jan 05, 2013 Leigh Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed
Alan Rawson
Alan Rawson rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
nat ellis
nat ellis rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Sandra Aguila
Sandra Aguila marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Megan Starr
Megan Starr marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
kerry green
kerry green rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Cindy Preston
Cindy Preston marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Michael Belpedio
Michael Belpedio rated it did not like it
Aug 06, 2016
Domenick
Domenick marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
jeanlouiseblue
jeanlouiseblue marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Wes
Wes marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
  • Americana: The Kinks, the Riff, the Road: The Story
  • Under Their Thumb: How a Nice Boy from Brooklyn Got Mixed Up with the Rolling Stones (and Lived to Tell About It)
  • Moon: The Life and Death of a Rock Legend
  • Eye Mind: Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators
  • Freaky Dancin'
  • Backstage Passes: Life on the Wild Side with David Bowie
  • The Sixties: Diaries:1960-1969
  • Big Star: The Short Life, Painful Death, and Unexpected Resurrection of the Kings of Power Pop
  • The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones
  • The Olivetti Chronicles
  • Be My Baby: How I Survived Mascara, Miniskirts, and Madness, or My Life As a Fabulous Ronette
  • The Godfather Of Soul: An Autobiography