Start by marking “Octopus Soup” as Want to Read:
Octopus Soup

Octopus Soup

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Wordless panels tell the story of a baby octopus who leaves home in search of adventure
Published April 1st 2011 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about Octopus Soup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Octopus Soup

Brittaney Reed
Feb 20, 2014 Brittaney Reed rated it really liked it
Mayer, M. (2011). Octopus soup. New York: Marshall Cavendish.

"Octopus Soup" by Mercer Mayer is a fun wordless book following the adventure of a young octopus. The young octopus leaves his home causing debacle in a town as a chef and others try to capture him. Through all the craziness as the little octopus runs for his life, he finally makes it to the water and back home to his parents. The illustrations in the book are spot on and I think children would really love this book. It reminds me of a
Robert Beveridge
Mercer Mayer, Octopus Soup (Marshall Cavendish, 2011)

full disclosure: this book was provided to me free of charge by Amazon Vine.

Mayer's wordless storybook detailing the adventures of an inquisitive octopus is an absolute delight. It did, however, get me thinking about the wordless storybook and what age group it should actually be aimed at. My son, now fourteen months old, has gotten into the habit of “reading” books by himself—he will spend twenty minutes or more with a beloved book, just turn
Traci
Sep 23, 2012 Traci rated it it was amazing
1. Genre: Wordless

2. Summary: This book tells the story of an octopus who leaves home and is forced into an adventure where he ends up on land and running from those who want to turn him into octopus soup. His adventures include being chased into a restaurant where he is served in a water pitcher and the chef decides to turn him into soup. As he runs for his life, he hides at a fruit market, disrupts traffic, and almost gets away. He is luckily saved by marine police who enforce a no fishing ru
Tasha
Mar 23, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When an octopus climbs up an anchor line and into a fisherman’s basket, it causes all sorts of chaos. The octopus is flung onto the head of someone cleaning the street and from there is chased through a window. Taking refuge in a pitcher of water, the octopus is discovered by a chef with a taste for octopus soup. A chase ensues, ending with the octopus hanging from the dock until it drops into the chef’s waiting soup pot. But don’t fret, there is yet another twist in this tale.

Mayer’s latest fea
Jeff
Aug 21, 2011 Jeff rated it it was amazing
One of the first picture books I fell in love with when becoming a children's librarian back in 1984, was discovering Mercer Mayer's A Boy, A Dog, and a Frog, his first book for children. It was wordless, but the rich, humorous, charming story came thro ugh in Mayer's brilliant artwork. I used the book often in those first years of being a practicing librarian and shared it as often as I could with any child or parent who'd listen.

Now, in his latest book, Mr. Mayer returns to his beginningswith
Jen
Aug 15, 2014 Jen rated it it was amazing
There's no place like home! That might be in this fun PB if there were words. Instead, master Mercer Mayer tells the story of a baby octopus who leaves home and runs into all sorts of trouble with just drawings. I know two 5-year-olds who absolutely love this book!
Adrienne
Apr 10, 2014 Adrienne rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I didn't realize when I checked this out from the library that it was a wordless picture book--and my kids are too small to "read" the story through pictures. That was okay, though; it turned out to be fun to describe the pictures and what was going on to them.
Christina
Sep 08, 2012 Christina rated it really liked it
4 stars

A young octopus embarks on an accidental adventure by climbing up an anchor and into a fisherman’s boat. Unfortunately, the little octopus ends up in a restaurant, and as the title indicates, is about to be served as soup. The plot is delightfully original and Mercer Meyer does a terrific job with the illustrations.

This story is a wordless picture-book for the most part. There are a few words in the illustrations which may entice a beginning reader to ask for more information. One sign in
Peacegal
May 29, 2014 Peacegal rated it really liked it
Shelves: humane-education
Nobody wants to be turned into soup! This is a slapstick, wordless comedy set in comics form for the youngest readers. Even an octopus has a mom who worries about him. Sure to spark some good conversations!
Magila
Dec 25, 2012 Magila rated it really liked it
A rare wordless treasure. This book tells the story of an octopus destined to land in the pot of a walrus chef's soup.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm supposed to come to believe through this book that vegetarianism is the way to go - or if an agenda was absent. I for one was rooting for the chef and not the octopus the entire time. Octopus, after all, is delicious.

And agenda or no, the story was entertaining, the panels well drawn, and the artwork burst with colors. Occasionally I worry how much
Alyssa
Apr 20, 2015 Alyssa rated it liked it
Highly detailed illustrations encourage kids to notice stuff that we grown-ups probably miss! No words, so great for picture-walking. Older kids.
Garren
May 25, 2016 Garren rated it liked it
This dude is getting better with age. A comic wordless picture book.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Mar 20, 2011 Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it really liked it
A young octupus ends up on an adventure that takes him from his home in the ocean to a dock, a restaurant, a street market, and eventually back home to the safety of his family. This wordless picture book required a second reading for me because I had obviously missed something in the beginning, but on a second look - I found that I really liked how Mercer Mayer pulled the whole story together through wonderfully bright and quirky illustrations and little to no words (there is a sign and the cov ...more
Susan
Mar 23, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are great. But the book actually made me really sad. The octopus leaves home and is going on a little adventure and accidentally ends up being caught for soup! He escapes many times, only to have the chef chasing after him until he gets back to the water! He is saved by the fact that there is no fishing allowed on this particular day. The last page is a picture of the octopus reunited with his parents, who are sobbing, and the little octopus looking very distraught. It made me ...more
Cindy
Dec 22, 2012 Cindy rated it liked it
Adorable story without words - I love those because they really spark the imagination of the kids. This one features a young octopus who leaves home and has an adventure that includes stowing away in a tackle box, visiting a restaurant, hiding in melons and finally, making his way back home to the safety and love of his worried parents. Lots of lovely illustrations and lots of side action with sign waving bunnies, goldfish and frogs, (to name only a few,) will keep little readers engaged time af ...more
Heather B.
It is a picture book without words so children can use their own imaginations on what could the characters be saying or explain what is going on in each illustration. It is about an octopus who climbed onto a fishing boat and the fisherman did not realize this until after he is back on shore. The octopus runs into a lot of trouble, especially after he ran into a cook that wanted to cook him for a soup. Bright and colorful illustrations. Recommended for early readers, k-2nd grade. Published 2011.
Sherry
Apr 24, 2011 Sherry rated it really liked it
Oh, curious babies and kids can be, even those that come from the sea. Baby octopus is very curious about a fisherman's line, in which he climbs and onto the fisherman's boat. Little does Baby Octopus know that he is in for a very scary adventure. Mayer tells this story in graphic format with no words, but kids will enjoy making up their own story as the pictures progress. The texture and bright colors add to the excitment of Baby Octopus' adventure back to the sea.
Tricia
Jul 16, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
Okay, so my kids love Mercer Mayer and he can do no wrong. Not even when creating a wordless title that shows a baby octopus coming dangerously close to becoming soup!! This book will thrill kids who enjoy graphic novel format but are limited on their ability to read words. Detail of the illustrations will allow a child to pour over the pages again and again---still seeing something new to them every reading.
midnightfaerie
Oct 30, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
An adorable story by one of our favorite authors, Mercer Mayer. This one has no words, it's pictures only, but what pictures they are! The illustrations are so detailed and fun, the cartoons bright and colorful, that the kids can't help but love them. Mayer even manages to make an octopus look cute. That's talent. All my kids liked this one, so it's a good one for any age. Lots of fun.
Yellowpagesgirl
Oct 17, 2011 Yellowpagesgirl rated it liked it
I really wish we hadn't found this book til later in our reading adventures. Since it is pictures only, I am to interpret the story blocks and I *guess* I do a really great job of it because this is the book my kid wants to pick up even outside of bedtime story time for mommy to "read" to her. I look forward to having her find the story on her own for the next books by this author!
Shelli
Jul 23, 2011 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Funny wordless book done in comic book style of a little octopus that runs away from home. Life on his own is not anything like he imagined it would be. Little octopus had the misfortune of ending up at a seafood restaurant and wound up looking more like the gingerbread man trying to escape from a pack of people who might like to try octopus soup for lunch.
Angela Kim
Oct 01, 2012 Angela Kim rated it really liked it
This is a book written by Mercer Mayer, which is the author of A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog. Octopus Soup is more like a wordless comic book. It has 2-5 pictures on each page which is much more than a regular wordless picture book, so it gives the reader a more definite meaning of the story. the book is very colorful and the illustrations are very detailed.
Heather
Sep 26, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Mercer Mayer is back with a nearly wordless picture book in the vein of Frog Goes to Dinner. I don't know that the cover illustration is terribly inviting, but the inside illustrations are gorgeous and funny, and both the humor and plot are clear throughout. This is one I would enjoy sharing one-on-one with a child.
Apr 22, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Cute story of an Octopus who goes on an adventure above the sea and finnally finds himself back home. Like some other wordless books, some fo the humor is in little things that are hidden that if you read it makes it more funny. Like the headlines on the newspaper, the laws on the book.
Morgan
Nov 12, 2012 Morgan rated it really liked it
This is such a fun graphic picture book for children. I love how the pictures can tell the story so well without even needing words! This is a great tool to get students to use critical thinking, and would be fun as a class activity to make up our own text to go along with the pictures!
Adrielle
Jan 13, 2012 Adrielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-4-star
There are no words in Octopus Soup. I have fun encouraging my son to describe what is happening in the pictures. He is tickled by the adventures of this unfortunate octopus and proud to be able to discover the story on his own.
Jenna
Apr 03, 2013 Jenna rated it liked it
This wordless book by Mercer Mayer is left open to the imagination. If you look at the pictures properly then you can tell the story yourself, but each child will have an individual insight based on what they see in the images.
Whitney Maas
This picture book reminds me of a Cahplin silent film; a little bit sweet, a little bit sad and no words to explain, just images. I enjoyed it though
Ginny
Sep 27, 2011 Ginny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2011
Sooooo much cuteness going on in this wordless picture book! Every time you look at a block of images, something new pops up.
Kayne
Nov 09, 2013 Kayne rated it it was amazing
I loved it. So happy that Mercer Mayer is still alive and producing cute books, especially wordless ones like this, for kids.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Owly & Wormy, Friends All Aflutter!
  • Argus
  • Ribbit Rabbit
  • Where's Walrus?
  • A Dignity of Dragons
  • The Odd One Out
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...