The Complete Jessica Darling Series: Sloppy Firsts, Second Helpings, Charmed Thirds, Fourth Comings, Perfect Fifths

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  869 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Growing Up Can Be Perfect in Its Imperfection
The Jessica Darling series chronicles one young woman’s coming-of-age in the first decade of the 21st century. Over five books and ten years, Jessica Darling fumbles her way into adulthood. She evolves from a sixteen-year-old cynic, snarking in her diary about catty cliques, unrequited crushes, and other high school indignities...more
Published December 21st 2010 by Crown (first published January 1st 2010)

Easy by Tammara WebberBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireSlammed by Colleen HooverThoughtless by S.C. StephensWhere She Went by Gayle Forman
New Adult Literature
386th out of 801 books — 1,669 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Coffee & Books Group Favorites
120th out of 124 books — 58 voters

More lists with this book...

Spammonia
I hate Jessica Darling and the whole WASP-y, privileged lifestyle she has. She had no character development, and actually became MORE entitled and annoying. This kind of reminded me of characters in Meg Cabot's Princess Diaries series because they too were the same. Honestly, I think these writers HAVE to show some sort of developmental maturity both mentally and emotionally in their protagonists if they're going to write about them being "grown up" and having jobs post-high school. It makes no...more
Kristen
Oooooh, chick lit. You provide the much needed break that I need between teenagers saving the future downtrodden messed up world.

I gave this series 3 stars, when really it should break down more like book one and maybe two - 4 stars, book five is 3, and book three and four were 1 star. I could have skipped those. Ugh.

Not that it really matters, because if you read book one, you are going be dying to know what happens with Jessica and dreamy Marcus Flutie, the Jordan Catalano of books.

There real...more
ginny
All 5 books in 5 days and I'm tempted to reread them. I had never heard of Jessica Darling until last month as the first in the series celebrated it's 10th anniversary. With my addiction to YA at an all time high as I approach my (cough cough thirty something) birthday, I picked up the first and did not put down the entire series until I finished the final episode of Jessica and Marcus Flutie last night. The first four books are told from Jessica's point of view in journal entries and letters to...more
Jessica Gregory
I was halfway into a murder mystery about a child killer when I decided I couldn't deal with anymore dark material. These books are fluffy YA fiction books (as in no wrist cutting or child abuse or other dark topics that have recently taken over YA lit). First book was great and I highly recommend. The second book was a good sequel. Books 3, 4, and 5 were not as enjoyable.
Chelsea
Rather than individually review all 5 books, I'll do the series as a whole, but it may not do the books justice!
The series follow Jessica Darling, beginning when she is in highschool and finishing after her college years. Jessica Darling is one of my favorite female fictional characters. She is hilarious and an amazing, admirable writer. So is Megan Mccafferty, the author, for the way she portrays her. Darling has a dark and funny sense of humour throughout the entire series and a way with words...more
Alex
Lisa C.

Admittedly, after a seemingly endless run of death-themed books - (a main character dies, a main character is mourning a parent/friend/child(s) death, the main character SHOULD die, et al,) I was ready for something way different.

I was intrigued by this series because the main characters were named on the website Forever Young Adult as the "Most Swoon worthy Couples in the 2000's" or something like that.

This story follows Jessica Darling from a high school sophomore to ten years later....more
This is my second time reading this series, and it was just as amazing as the first.

As a Christian, it can be a challenging read due to the fact that Jessica Darling begins as agnostic, and by the end of the series is an atheist. Some of the things she says about religion and the absence of God makes you want to throw the book across the room, especially when she also doesn't believe in coincidences and accidents (from what I recall. It's been a week since I finished the series). But these chall...more
Allison Boyd
I read about this series on a website for culture/style that I like, and although I try to veer away from YA (I don't want to be painted with that brush given my Twilight issue) I just LOVED these books, especially taken in their entirety. What is most impressive is that the author captures the voice of a smart,snarky, insecure but confident 15 year old in the first book, and she matures throughout the series over about 12 years. And the voice remains true to Jessica's age, growth, intelligence,...more
Navi
2 stars for the potential of what could have been.

-Plot and Marcus/Jessica relationship ends up going in a very disappointing direction, in the final three books.

-infamous "hot" jessica/Marcus lovemaking/kissing scenes, seem to be just vaguely implied so what's the point?
Rossana Snee
I wasn't quite sure how to rate this book so I decided a 3 was a good middle ground. As a writer the author is amazing. I cannot find flaw. I thoroughly enjoyed her first three books in the series. But this fourth one took me months, literally, to finish. It held absolutely no interest for me. I didn't like the journal format at all. It didn't seem authentic. No one writes a journal written like a book, with dialogue and all. The novel was just a lot of rambling to me. Jessica started getting on...more
After seeing other reviews, I see I'm definitely in the minority here. I've seen this described as YA so let me start by saying that I would be HORRIFIED if my teenager read these books. I began reading these on a whim after seeing the author mentioned on Twitter.

The first book held my interest enough to the point of NEEDING to know what happened. I suffered through (and probably should NOT have read) books 2, 3 & 4 but was thankful for book 5, not so much because of the content, but becaus...more
Emery Lord
Meg McCafferty renders Jessica's narration in this highly-stylized, verbose, pop-culture-laden way that I find not only inventive but so on-point for the MC herself. (In other words, McCafferty's form serves her content in a way I haven't seen before.) But underneath the neurosis, the references, the irony (all of which I love), there is something very truthful about this series. I get the sense that McCafferty took great pleasure in crafting the characters, world AND the language. As a still an...more
Brittanystewart
Amazing!! You'd have to read it to find out what it's about and it's so worth it!!
Reneé Logan
My favourite YA series ever! The snark is awesome, as is the complexity of Jessica's character. It'd have been so awesome going through high school knowing all the things you realize after (nothing is that serious, it's not the end of the world, some kids will peak in hs and they aren't the ones to envy).

Read it years ago but decided to reread the whole series start to finish which was nice to be able to really appreciate the recurring characters.

Super excited for the prequel coming out this f...more
Danella Shea
I read the first four books a long time ago and absolutely fell in love with the character of Jess 'Notso' Darling. I really identified with her sarcastic and cynical nature and also the feeling of kind of being an outsider in your family and even in your group of friends while growing up.
Now because there is a new book - Perfect Fifths - to end out the series, I am rereading them all just to reconnect with the characters. I'm really excited to see what happens in perfect fifths.
Jen Warren
As a series, this was okay. McCafferty started strong with Sloppy Firsts, which was hilarious, and kept up the drama in Second Helpings. From there, however, everything went downhill. Jessica Darling became less and less likeable as the series went on.
Still, I kept reading: suffering through books three and four, so hoping the last, finally, would redeem the series. In the end, unfortunately, I regret reading past book two.
Kim
I re-read this series already this year. It's a five book series following the main character from high school into her late twenties. Her narrative is cynical, snarky, truthful, profane, painful, and so very fresh. Be warned: graphic language(f bombs) and some graphic content(sex related). Love this series. Jessica is often at her worst which sort of makes her one of my favorite heroines.
stacie
I am glad ghat my library had the complete series, because once I started, I didn't want to put it down. Yes, there was a chapter or two that was boring, but the pull between Jessica and Marcus was so profound that it sucked me in! and of course, knowing that Marcus reminds me of a guy I once knew made it even more intriguing.
Tiffany
This is a difficult review, because I loved the first 3 books so much. Fourth Comings was awful, and Perfect Fifths was neccessary, but not amazing. In many ways, I wish the author had stopped after the third book. Either way, I loved following Jessica and Marcus from high school through adulthood.
Cathy
I liked the first three books because it was fun and fresh. Jessica Darling is every girl/young woman. However, the last two books were insufferable, at least for me. I just thumbed through the pages of the insufferable and rambling conversation between Jessica and Marcus.
Rachel
I would have given this five stars as I adored the first three books but I felt the last two were not as strong in narrative. Particularly the last book. The evocation of being a teenage girl was so precise and heart wrenching - yet hysterically, laugh-out-loud funny. Loved.
Cianna Sunshine & Mountains Book Reviews
This whole series is outstanding! The ups and downs of their relationship, the letters, the notes. It's such a good developing story and all the books are wonderful! I wish it would've gone on forever!
Bhavika
Mindblown. All five of them have turned out so brilliantly. This is such superior chick lit, so smartly written! Let it be known, Marcus Armstrong Flutie is the best thing ever dreamed up ;)
Kscharf86
I LOVED this series. Having started the series in high school and finishing it when I was (am) a young adult, I grew with Jess and all of her fumblings. Check it out, it'll surprise you.
Karilyn Williams
I loved this series. Jessica is snarky and I love it. Sometimes her choices make you want to scream, but that's what good writing is all about...getting invested in the characters.
Danab
I became so very depressed, anxious, and neurotic during the reading of this series. Well written books, but the main character is so, so self absorbed. She drove me nuts!!!!
Candi Calderone
Wish I could give it 10 stars...one of my all-time favorite book series...captures a girl's life over a period of time, and brings in pop culture references that I LOVED!
The Lysser
Kind of loved it... Jersey girl, life in the big city. Epic scene with an ex in Newark Liberty. There was something that spoke to the 16 yr old teenie bopper in me.
Cindy Nacson-Schechter
Chick lit at its best. Felt like I was reliving my life growing up in NJ. Life, love, friendship--this series has it all and a perfectly imperfect "heroine" to boot!
  • When the Stars Go Blue
  • The Color of Grace
  • Brooklyn Girls (Brooklyn Girls, #1)
  • Gathering Storm (Firsts and Forever, #4)
  • Greg the Vampire (Frank-in-Love, #2)
  • Unraveling Isobel
  • The Truths about Dating and Mating (Riordan College, #1)
  • Making Mischief
  • Catching Alice
  • Fire and Rain
  • More Than Everything (Family, #3)
  • The Prophet (Graveyard Queen, #3)
  • Below
  • Desert Dropping
  • Newton's Laws of Attraction
  • Laura's Big Break
  • One More Little Problem (Zelah Green, #2)
  • French Kiss (Diary of a Crush, #1)
Jessica Darling’s IT List: The (Totally Not) Guaranteed Guide to Popularity, Prettiness and Perfection is the first in a new middle grade series on sale now. Megan McCafferty is also the New York Times bestselling author of the Jessica Darling series for teens and adults, Bumped and Thumped. Her work has received honors from the ALA and the NYPL and has been translated into eleven languages, inclu...more
More about Megan McCafferty...
Sloppy Firsts (Jessica Darling, #1) Second Helpings (Jessica Darling, #2) Charmed Thirds (Jessica Darling, #3) Bumped (Bumped, #1) Fourth Comings (Jessica Darling, #4)

“I almost can’t believe I’m going to make myself vulnerable to him again. But what is love but the most” 0 likes