Start by marking “The Complete Jessica Darling Series: Sloppy Firsts, Second Helpings, Charmed Thirds, Fourth Comings, Perfect Fifths” as Want to Read:

4.43  ·  Rating Details ·  1,086 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Growing Up Can Be Perfect in Its Imperfection
The Jessica Darling series chronicles one young woman’s coming-of-age in the first decade of the 21st century. Over five books and ten years, Jessica Darling fumbles her way into adulthood. She evolves from a sixteen-year-old cynic, snarking in her diary about catty cliques, unrequited crushes, and other high school indignities
Published December 21st 2010 by Crown (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Jessica Darling Series, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Jessica Darling Series

Fangirl by Rainbow RowellThe Ivy by Lauren KunzeSecret Society Girl by Diana PeterfreundUnder the Rose by Diana PeterfreundRites of Spring (Break) by Diana Peterfreund
Books About College
8th out of 17 books — 8 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann BrasharesTwisted by Laurie Halse Anderson
Young Adult Books, I Have Loved Thee
63rd out of 120 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa Garcia
This book is about Jessica having to deal with her best friend moving away. It's also about how her parents treat her and her beginning to talk to a boy at school.. Their first conversation was pretty funny! He asked her to pee in the cup for her his drug test!!! But I really recommend this book to you if you can connect to not liking people you are surrounded by.
ginny
Sep 29, 2011 ginny rated it it was amazing
All 5 books in 5 days and I'm tempted to reread them. I had never heard of Jessica Darling until last month as the first in the series celebrated it's 10th anniversary. With my addiction to YA at an all time high as I approach my (cough cough thirty something) birthday, I picked up the first and did not put down the entire series until I finished the final episode of Jessica and Marcus Flutie last night. The first four books are told from Jessica's point of view in journal entries and letters to ...more
Kristen
Apr 26, 2012 Kristen rated it liked it
Oooooh, chick lit. You provide the much needed break that I need between teenagers saving the future downtrodden messed up world.

I gave this series 3 stars, when really it should break down more like book one and maybe two - 4 stars, book five is 3, and book three and four were 1 star. I could have skipped those. Ugh.

Not that it really matters, because if you read book one, you are going be dying to know what happens with Jessica and dreamy Marcus Flutie, the Jordan Catalano of books.

There real
Spammonia
Dec 20, 2013 Spammonia rated it liked it
I hate Jessica Darling and the whole WASP-y, privileged lifestyle she has. She had no character development, and actually became MORE entitled and annoying. This kind of reminded me of characters in Meg Cabot's Princess Diaries series because they too were the same. Honestly, I think these writers HAVE to show some sort of developmental maturity both mentally and emotionally in their protagonists if they're going to write about them being "grown up" and having jobs post-high school. It makes no ...more
Jessica Gregs
Nov 10, 2012 Jessica Gregs rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2012
I was halfway into a murder mystery about a child killer when I decided I couldn't deal with anymore dark material. These books are fluffy YA fiction books (as in no wrist cutting or child abuse or other dark topics that have recently taken over YA lit). First book was great and I highly recommend. The second book was a good sequel. Books 3, 4, and 5 were not as enjoyable.
Dec 17, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This is my second time reading this series, and it was just as amazing as the first.

As a Christian, it can be a challenging read due to the fact that Jessica Darling begins as agnostic, and by the end of the series is an atheist. Some of the things she says about religion and the absence of God makes you want to throw the book across the room, especially when she also doesn't believe in coincidences and accidents (from what I recall. It's been a week since I finished the series). But these chall
Lisa C.
Feb 23, 2012 Lisa C. rated it liked it

Admittedly, after a seemingly endless run of death-themed books - (a main character dies, a main character is mourning a parent/friend/child(s) death, the main character SHOULD die, et al,) I was ready for something way different.

I was intrigued by this series because the main characters were named on the website Forever Young Adult as the "Most Swoon worthy Couples in the 2000's" or something like that.

This story follows Jessica Darling from a high school sophomore to ten years later.
Chelsea
Aug 25, 2011 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
Rather than individually review all 5 books, I'll do the series as a whole, but it may not do the books justice!
The series follow Jessica Darling, beginning when she is in highschool and finishing after her college years. Jessica Darling is one of my favorite female fictional characters. She is hilarious and an amazing, admirable writer. So is Megan Mccafferty, the author, for the way she portrays her. Darling has a dark and funny sense of humour throughout the entire series and a way with words
Alex
Apr 18, 2012 Alex rated it it was amazing
Allison Boyd
Jan 29, 2012 Allison Boyd rated it it was amazing
I read about this series on a website for culture/style that I like, and although I try to veer away from YA (I don't want to be painted with that brush given my Twilight issue) I just LOVED these books, especially taken in their entirety. What is most impressive is that the author captures the voice of a smart,snarky, insecure but confident 15 year old in the first book, and she matures throughout the series over about 12 years. And the voice remains true to Jessica's age, growth, intelligence, ...more
Rossana Snee
Nov 24, 2013 Rossana Snee rated it liked it
I wasn't quite sure how to rate this book so I decided a 3 was a good middle ground. As a writer the author is amazing. I cannot find flaw. I thoroughly enjoyed her first three books in the series. But this fourth one took me months, literally, to finish. It held absolutely no interest for me. I didn't like the journal format at all. It didn't seem authentic. No one writes a journal written like a book, with dialogue and all. The novel was just a lot of rambling to me. Jessica started getting on ...more
Alyssa
Jun 16, 2014 Alyssa rated it it was ok
2.5 stars I think. This series was just meh for me. Jessica was so moody and wishy washy and I just couldn't deal. Some of the dialogs/journal entries were even just offensive, to be honest.

I did like how each book changed in writing style a bit. And there were definitely some "laugh out loud" chapters, and even some anticipation of what was to come. I have to say the final book was probably my favorite, the third book was my least favorite, and I'm indecisive about book four (I can't decide if
Jan 28, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok
After seeing other reviews, I see I'm definitely in the minority here. I've seen this described as YA so let me start by saying that I would be HORRIFIED if my teenager read these books. I began reading these on a whim after seeing the author mentioned on Twitter.

The first book held my interest enough to the point of NEEDING to know what happened. I suffered through (and probably should NOT have read) books 2, 3 & 4 but was thankful for book 5, not so much because of the content, but becaus
Emery Lord
May 30, 2012 Emery Lord rated it it was amazing
Meg McCafferty renders Jessica's narration in this highly-stylized, verbose, pop-culture-laden way that I find not only inventive but so on-point for the MC herself. (In other words, McCafferty's form serves her content in a way I haven't seen before.) But underneath the neurosis, the references, the irony (all of which I love), there is something very truthful about this series. I get the sense that McCafferty took great pleasure in crafting the characters, world AND the language. As a still ...more
Kate Zurawski
Nov 10, 2015 Kate Zurawski rated it it was amazing
I can't say enough good things about this series. Jessica Darling is sarcastic and amazing and I want to be her friend. I've read through this series multiple times and if my ever-growing list of "books to read" would ever slow down it would allow me the time to re-read this every month. I could immediately relate to Jessica not only because she ran track, but because of McCafferty's prose. If I start a book and I can't stand how the author writes I most likely put it down. This book had me ...more
Reneé Logan
Sep 06, 2013 Reneé Logan rated it it was amazing
My favourite YA series ever! The snark is awesome, as is the complexity of Jessica's character. It'd have been so awesome going through high school knowing all the things you realize after (nothing is that serious, it's not the end of the world, some kids will peak in hs and they aren't the ones to envy).

Read it years ago but decided to reread the whole series start to finish which was nice to be able to really appreciate the recurring characters.

Super excited for the prequel coming out this f
Kristina
Jun 11, 2014 Kristina rated it it was amazing
I loved this series. Beautiful coming of age story starting as the cranky teen and moving into growing up and figuring out who she is. I'm not a huge fan of the 5th book. Not that it's a bad read just not what I wanted for the last book of my favorite series. It also has a personal feel for me because I grew up around places in the book and have experienced Jessica's experiences. Ive passed this series to many friends and all of them have read it in no time and enjoyed it.
Danella Shea
Jun 06, 2011 Danella Shea rated it it was amazing
I read the first four books a long time ago and absolutely fell in love with the character of Jess 'Notso' Darling. I really identified with her sarcastic and cynical nature and also the feeling of kind of being an outsider in your family and even in your group of friends while growing up.
Now because there is a new book - Perfect Fifths - to end out the series, I am rereading them all just to reconnect with the characters. I'm really excited to see what happens in perfect fifths.
Jen Warren
Aug 26, 2016 Jen Warren rated it liked it
As a series, this was okay. McCafferty started strong with Sloppy Firsts, which was hilarious, and kept up the drama in Second Helpings. From there, however, everything went downhill. Jessica Darling became less and less likeable as the series went on.
Still, I kept reading: suffering through books three and four, so hoping the last, finally, would redeem the series. In the end, unfortunately, I regret reading past book two.
Tiffany
Oct 18, 2011 Tiffany rated it liked it
This is a difficult review, because I loved the first 3 books so much. Fourth Comings was awful, and Perfect Fifths was neccessary, but not amazing. In many ways, I wish the author had stopped after the third book. Either way, I loved following Jessica and Marcus from high school through adulthood.
Shannon DeRespino
Nov 30, 2015 Shannon DeRespino rated it liked it
I read these novels as they were published during my high school and college years. I was *a lot* like Jessica Darling during this time of my life--both her virtues and her faults. Second Helpings is my favorite in the series. Looking back on them, they were certainly flawed novels but my kinship with Jessica and my interest in Marcus Flutie kept me reading.
Diane
Sep 15, 2015 Diane rated it liked it
Read this series years ago, I read one after the other couldn't put them down. I enjoyed the books...all of them...from what I remember!! I see a lot of negative comments on the ending of Perfect Fifths, while I may not remember all the specifics to each book I do remember getting excited that they bumped into each and I liked the final closure/ending this book gave us!
Kim
Feb 22, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, again-again
I re-read this series already this year. It's a five book series following the main character from high school into her late twenties. Her narrative is cynical, snarky, truthful, profane, painful, and so very fresh. Be warned: graphic language(f bombs) and some graphic content(sex related). Love this series. Jessica is often at her worst which sort of makes her one of my favorite heroines.
stacie
Jul 21, 2013 stacie rated it it was amazing
I am glad ghat my library had the complete series, because once I started, I didn't want to put it down. Yes, there was a chapter or two that was boring, but the pull between Jessica and Marcus was so profound that it sucked me in! and of course, knowing that Marcus reminds me of a guy I once knew made it even more intriguing.
Cianna Sunshine & Mountains Book Reviews
This whole series is outstanding! The ups and downs of their relationship, the letters, the notes. It's such a good developing story and all the books are wonderful! I wish it would've gone on forever!
Rachel
Nov 07, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
I would have given this five stars as I adored the first three books but I felt the last two were not as strong in narrative. Particularly the last book. The evocation of being a teenage girl was so precise and heart wrenching - yet hysterically, laugh-out-loud funny. Loved.
Kaytee
Sep 14, 2011 Kaytee rated it liked it
I liked the first three books because it was fun and fresh. Jessica Darling is every girl/young woman. However, the last two books were insufferable, at least for me. I just thumbed through the pages of the insufferable and rambling conversation between Jessica and Marcus.
Katie Smith
This was the whole series in one e-book format. I made it about halfway through book number three and I just couldn't go any farther. I just couldn't relate to the main character, who is admittedly much younger than me, but I couldn't relate to her if I thought back to myself at that age either.
Kristi
Mar 05, 2011 Kristi rated it it was amazing
Yes, these books for YA and Yes, I loved them all and couldn't put them down. Super funny. Definitely brings you back to high school...
Bhavika
Jul 15, 2012 Bhavika rated it it was amazing
Mindblown. All five of them have turned out so brilliantly. This is such superior chick lit, so smartly written! Let it be known, Marcus Armstrong Flutie is the best thing ever dreamed up ;)
  • Love From London (The Principles of Love, #3)
  • Bhangra Babes (Bindi Babes, #3)
  • Beads, Boys and Bangles (Threads, #2)
  • Before Hadley
  • The Goddess Rules
  • Love and Chaos (Brooklyn Girls, #2)
  • A Straight Line to My Heart
  • The Dominant Blonde
  • Some Kind of Perfect (Calloway Sisters, #4.5; Addicted, #3.5)
  • Prototype (Archetype #2)
  • Vivian Apple Needs a Miracle (Vivian Apple, #2)
  • Haunt Me Still (Kate Stanley, #2)
  • When the Stars Go Blue
  • Rebound (Boomerang, #2)
  • Zelah Green (Zelah Green #1)
  • Saint: Why I Should Be Canonized Right Away
  • The Grrl Genius Guide to Sex (with Other People): A Self-Help Novel
Megan McCafferty is best known for SLOPPY FIRSTS and four other books in the New York Times bestselling Jessica Darling series for teens and adults. JESSICA DARLING'S IT LIST is a new middle grade series of prequels. She also wrote the futuristic satires BUMPED and THUMPED. Her work has received honors from the ALA and the NYPL and has been translated into fourteen languages, including Chinese, ...more
More about Megan McCafferty...

“I almost can’t believe I’m going to make myself vulnerable to him again. But what is love but the most” 1 likes