Start by marking “The Wump World” as Want to Read:
The Wump World

The Wump World

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  1,242 ratings  ·  97 reviews
The Pollutians invade the Wump World and turn the green meadows into a concrete jungle.
Published April 27th 1981 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Wump World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wump World

The Lorax by Dr. SeussThe Great Kapok Tree by Lynne CherryOwl Moon by Jane YolenThe Carrot Seed by Ruth KraussUno's Garden by Graeme Base
"Green" Picture Books
13th out of 180 books — 98 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
My Favorite Childhood books
150th out of 457 books — 331 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike
So I've had this book since forever. I remember really enjoying it as a child and it still holds its old charm for me as an adult.

For those not in the know, this is a wump (or more specifically, several wumps):

description

They are likely the reason I find Capybaras awesome. For those ignorant of these fair beasts, here is a picture of one:

description

Here is a picture of a family of them:

description

And here is one with a caiman:

description

OK, maybe I am just using this review as an excuse to post Capybara pictures, but the resemblance is st
Kathryn
Feb 25, 2010 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Lisa--thank you!
(SPOILERS) I really liked some things about this book, and I had a few issues with other aspects. It tells the story of the gentle (and adorable!) Wumps, the only creatures to inhabit a small and grassy planet, and the Pollutians (from the planet Pollutus) who come to take over (their arrival looks like something out of "Avatar"!!!) turning the green world into a concrete jungle and polluted mess. The poor little Wumps have to hide in caves underground for many years--until the Pollutians destro ...more
Lisa Vegan
This is a very 1970 book. The first Earth Day was in the spring of 1970, and I was mostly involved in it because that was the semester I was editor of the school paper and we covered it extensively. I don’t remember this book though.

The wumps are probably the cutest fictional creatures I ever did see. I love the illustrations of them: their expressions, movements, their young riding on the backs of the adults; they’re just so lovable and adorable.

The wump world is a bucolic place and then it’s
Ronyell
Wump

“The Wump World” is an inspiring environmental story from the great mind of Bill Peet and it is about how the Wumps’ world changes when a race called the Pollutians come onto the Wump world and start polluting the world. “The Wump World” is a truly effective tale that really delivers the message of the dangers of pollution in a creative and dramatic way.

Bill Peet has done a magnificent job at bringing the message of the consequences of polluting as the Wump World becomes so polluted that no lif
Joel Spring
When I was a child, I read the heck out of Bill Peet's library of books. His stories were entertaining, sometimes thought provoking (especially to a child), and the artwork was detailed and fun without being overly trite. This is the book that stands out to me the most.

The story of the Wumps is a timeless morality tale, that is as relevant as it was when the book was written, as it is today.

My mother was an elementary school teacher before she retired and still retains much of her class library
E.B.
This was my favorite book when I was a kid. It's amazing.

No wonder I turned out the way I did.
Dolly
Dec 31, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We borrowed this book from our local library as part of a kit with an audiocassette. We listened to the story in the car while our girls followed along with the book. I read the story myself later to catch the effect of the illustrations. The story reminded us strongly of The Lorax and has a hit-you-on-the-head environmental message. Overall, it's an entertaining and cautionary story and we all enjoyed it.

This story was selected as one of the books for the April 2010 - Environmental and Nature
John Clark
This colorful book provides an approachable introduction to the interrelated problems of resource consumption, environmental degradation, and pollution. A friend of mine dropped it in my lap after we had finished watching "The Cove" and started talking about sustainability and respect for nature, and I think it does an admirable job of sketching out the bigger picture with broad strokes. The resolution is rather abrupt, which risks misleading readers about the intensity of the analogous problems ...more
Allison
The Wump World is written and illustrated by Bill Peet. It takes place on a different planet where only the Wumps live. That is until one day their planet gets invaded by outsiders called the Pollutians. There are thousands of them that come marching in, frightened the Wumps decide to hide underground. The Pollutians then decide to bring in a bunch of machinery to turn this planet into their new home. In just a few days, as the Wumps are still hiding, the Pollutians turn the Wums home into a ful ...more
Stephanie A.
As far as children's books about environmentalism go, this outstrips the Lorax by a mile in terms of charm. The problem aliens are much funnier-looking, for starters. And more to the point, who wouldn't feel sorry for cuddly little Wumps? Evidently modeled after capybaras, they're plump little fluffballs of placid cuteness - one of my favorite species in the Peet menagerie.
Rachel
Awww. This book is just wonderful. I love the illustrations. And the text is just right. Nothing "off" about the writing here. I also love the bittersweet ending. I don't remember reading this as a kid, but I think I would have loved it.
Monique
4.5 stars. Led to a good discussion with my 4 year old son about how we treat our planet, and how not to be like the Pollutians. Very strong environmental message that definitely resonated with us.
Rhayne
Humans urbanize and industrialize the earth, building great cites, monuments and roads which expand outward as with the population. Consuming all that is left of actual nature with each layer of cement. We spit toxic fumes into our air while leaving piles of unwanted goods on our land and in our shores; we are parasitic to our planet. Yet, as children we don’t fully recognize how our interactions with the earth can have great effect on its outcome. We do not recognize that in order for the eart ...more
Jo
Another great book by Bill Peet with an environmental theme.

The Wump World is a small world filled with grassy meadows, leafy green trees and winding rivers and the Wumps are the only creatures living there. Until one morning, out of the sky come Pollutians from the planet Pollutus. The Pollutians decide they want to live in Wump World and soon the Wumps are forced to retreat underground as giant machinery starts gobbling up trees and skyscrapers and highways appear. The Wumps are very unhappy
Karly Winters
This is a book of my choosing about the little wumps from Wump World, who live a happy peaceful life until one day, people from anther planet come in and tear their planet apart. The Wumps are forced to retreat, and after struggling to survive, the intruders decide that they’re done tearing the planet apart and leave. The Wumps eventually find a place untouched by the intruders and keep on living their lives happily. As for the part destroyed, with time, it begins to return to its natural state. ...more
Marte Haugen
Bill Peet keeps captivating us with his amazing illustrations and unique tales. This book tells the story of a group of creatures living happily and peacefully on a distant planet called Wump World. One day the Wumps' land is invaded by Pollutians and they are forced to go underground while the invaders are building highways, skyscrapers and polluting the lakes surrounding them. In a world like this, will the Wumps ever get their homes back?
Panda Incognito
When a friend of mine shared about this book, she said, “We found a cheesy environmentalist kid’s book in the waiting room. It was the least subtle thing I’ve ever read.”

Now that I have come across it at the library and read it for myself, I wholeheartedly agree.
Emily
This reminds me of Lost and Found. The Wumps are forced underground by the Pollutians. The Pollutians cause so much havoc, that in the end, they are forced to find a new place to live! In the end we see hopeful wimps chewing on a patch of untouched grass.
Jonathan Howell
This was my favourite book as a small child. My sister and I loved it. We took it out of the library so many times, it probably spent at least fifty per cent of its time in our house. A few years ago I gave my sister a copy for her birthday.
Cindy
This was fantastic. Earth is so similar to The Wump world that it's quiet saddening. What the Pollutians did to the Wumps are what we're doing to other animals and their natural habitats. A very good lesson learnt from this book.
Mckinley
Not sure about the message here. Wait out the pollution and environmental damage? Or is it hopeful about the future and the healing ability of a planet? Although the polluters have simply moved on to another world.
Austin
One of the characteristically preachy Bill Peet books, but so well written and so well illustrated, it makes its point in a fun and palatable way.
Amy
This book holds something special to me. It holds a childhood memory of intrigue and wonder. I can still remember running up to my Grandma in this little overpriced book store holding "The Wump World" in front of me like a world wonder on display. Part of the reason that I love this book so much might be tied up in that memory. But truly, only a part, for this book can stand on its own. Can it be that something so simple as a children's book can show the effect of pollution on a world? Is it som ...more
Katie
Sep 12, 2008 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody especially kids
Shelves: children
This is one of my all time favorite books. I started reading it in the 2nd grade at Chinook Elementary School in Anchorage Alaska. I knew exactly where it was shelved in the library so even if i forgot the title or the author I could go back and pick it up over and over again.
In a world finally trying to go GREEN this is a book that was there and understanding of this need back in the 70's.
Bill Peet was a brilliant story writer and has these delicate color pencil drawings that showcase mood, s
Elizabeth
My son loved this book! i feel as i read it him started to become more engaged and want to read more and more.
Corinne
I saw this book in a free bin and because of the illustrations I took it home. I figured I could check it out and pass it on to my niece. Now that I have, I'll return it to the free bin instead. I hate books that share stress with kids for things they have nothing to do with. Sure kids grow up and do amazing things as adults and sometimes kids do really amazing things when they are still young. I do my best to make them a good stewart of the planet but I don't find this type of story something I ...more
Robin
Adorable Wumps! Evil Pollutians! There's no way to misinterpret the message of this story.
Emily
Shayla
Apr 24, 2013 Shayla added it
I enjoy reading this book, but I found it heartbreaking. This book reflects the social issue of global warming. Essentially, how humans are destroying everything and about to leave the Earth with pollution and so forth. The wump creatures were so frighten that they stayed underground until the humans left. They were left with oversize buildings and the ground was mostly covered with concrete. As a lesson plan for children, I would have students create a collage of all the horrible things that ca ...more
Jim
just as preachy as the lorax and just as well illoed
  • Just a Dream
  • The Salamander Room
  • The Boy, the Bear, the Baron, the Bard
  • Monkey with a Tool Belt
  • Sector 7
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft
More about Bill Peet...
Capyboppy Bill Peet: An Autobiography The Caboose Who Got Loose The Whingdingdilly How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head