Start by marking “Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade” as Want to Read:
Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade

Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade (Princess Posey #1)

Posey is very nervous about starting first grade and walking into school all by herself. Worst of all, she has to do it without the one thing that always makes her feel brave and special: the tutu that turns her into the Pink Princess. How will Posey face the first day of school without it?
Published May 1st 2010 by Puffin Books

Steph
Oct 16, 2015 Steph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is adorable. I wish little girls would read these instead of Junie B.

Bummed that I didn't know about this series sooner!
Rosie
Nov 27, 2016 Rosie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: omo, school
I like it because I was 1 grade above it,
Judy
In Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade, Posey is about to start the first grade and she is feeling a bit nervous. Between the fact that all parents are supposed to “kiss and go” from the drop-off line and the fact that the two boys who live next door have told her that there is a monster in the blue hall where the first grade classes are, Posey just wants to stay home. If only she could wear her beloved ballet tutu to school, then she could be brave. When her grandfather takes her out for ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
Thanks to some older boys in her neighborhood, Posey is very worried about the first day of first grade. In kindergarten she was allowed to have her mother escort her to class, but the older kids in her school have to say goodbye in the Kiss and Go lane of the parking lot, and then walk down the long hallway alone. It is this hallway that the big kids, Nick and Tyler, insist is inhabited by scary monsters and snakes. She knows the boys are teasing, but the scary images won't leave Posey's mind. ...more
Heidi
Nov 22, 2013 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades K-2nd
Heidi
Jul 19, 2011 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series makes a great introduction to chapter books for kids in 1st grade. As a librarian, I am always looking for books that make the transition from early readers to chapter books a fun experience, and these books fit the bill. The illustrations do a fine job of breaking up the text, so it is not so intimidating to read. And the smooth writing makes for a great read-a-loud. I plan to use these with my upcoming first graders.

While these books seem to be girly books, Posey does like to prete
Crys (The Hodgenator)
Posey is such an adorable character - I cannot believe I did not know about these books. I discovered them by accident while at the library, which is why you should always take the time to look over the shelves. You never know what you'll find.

This book is a great read-aloud to the kindergartner to first graders in your life. Posey is an inspiration, asking the right questions and wanting to just be 6.

In the first book, she is initially afraid of starting first grade because her mom will have to
Carrie
Posey is starting grade one and she doesn't like the idea of not having her mommy all day or having to be dropped off and left alone. She wishes she could wear her favorite outfit, a pink tutu that even though it as a hole in it and is torn makes her feel like a princess, Princess Posey. The boys next door are of no help, they try to convince her that there are monsters at school who like to get the first graders.

Princess Posey is a cute and quick chapter book great for teaching your little one
Kate
Jul 24, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When ordinary first-grader Posey puts on her pink tutu over her clothes, she becomes Princess Posey, who can handle anything life throws at her. But when her mom tells her she can't wear her tutu to the first day of first grade, Posey isn't sure she can handle the big, grown-up world of all-day school. A chance encounter with her new teacher Miss Lee at the grocery store makes Posey even more nervous. Can Miss Lee help Posey feel better about going to school?

I resisted reading Princess Posey for
Catherine
I read this book in search of beginner chapter books for a particular group of students. Parents are looking for engaging books in which the main character doesn't use language that they discourage their own children from using, such as name calling "dumb" and "stupid." This can be tricky.
This is a quick, easy read, but there is the threat of a monster in the first grade hall. "Most first-graders don't make it to their classrooms", Tyler said. "The monsters get them first, " said Nick. "It suck
Emma Lesko
May 13, 2015 Emma Lesko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books
Endearing very early chapter book about facing fears & advocating for oneself. Posey is nervous about starting first grade. She feels very brave in her tutu, but can’t wear it to school. Her logic is true to kid logic. For instance, she curls up in a ball under the table to convince her mom she’s too small for school. Also, she says to her baby brother: “It’s all your fault. I was the baby before you got here.”

The adults in this book are very empathetic. Kid life is hard. They get it. It mak
Mari
Posey is not so sure about starting 1st grade. It feels like her mother is leaving her, since she won't be walking her to class like in Kindergarten, and some of the older boys she knows tell her scary things about the 1st grade hallway. But a chance run-in with her smart, sensative teacher-to-be makes all the difference.

A well crafted and fun early chapter book. Since it takes place before the start of 1st grade, it might make a fun read-aloud for parents to read aloud during the summer after K
Rosie
Feb 17, 2012 Rosie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute. Posey is a relatable character who goes through something almost every child experiences at some point - leaving their parents to go to school. Lots of white space, good black and white pictures. Chapters help young students make the transition between easy readers and chapter books. One weird thing though is when her neighbors were teasing her and she poked one of them with a stick to see what color his blood was, but it never said what happened after that. Did she get in trouble? Wa ...more
Phyllis
Sep 26, 2012 Phyllis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-sara
This book was SO CUTE! We will be looking for other Princess Posey books at the library. It is a wonderful story about a little girl getting ready to start 1st grade. Sara really enjoyed the story, and I really liked the end of the book! I don't know if this is true of all in this series, but at the end of this book, there was a section called "Poseys Pages" and it was like a getting to know you type section, where you can have some interaction. I loved asking the questions to Sara and hearing h ...more
Reader
Dec 08, 2010 Reader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Posey is about ready to enter first grade, and she's just not quite sure it's going to be for her. Especially when her older neighbors warn her about the monsters in the hallways, and mom tells her she won't be able to wear her pink tutu on her first day. An beginning reader with 10 short, chapters and spot illustrations throughout. This would make a great transition for girls who aren't quite ready for Junie-B and would also make a great read aloud! Discussion questions are included in the back ...more
Ubalstecha
Posey's favourite piece of clothing is her pink tutu. But when her mother tells her she can't wear it to Grade 1, Posey begins to get worried. And all of her fears about Grade 1, staying all day, monsters in the Grade 1 hallway, start to become bigger. Suddenly she doesn't want to go to school. But a chance encounter with her Grade 1 teacher may mean that she gets to wear her tu-tu after all.

A very sweet little book about entering first grade. Given the topic being Grade 1, this would work best
Angie
Posey is nervous about starting first grade. Her mom won't walk her to her classroom; she will get dropped off in the "kiss and go" lane. She will have to walk down the long, blue hallway to her classroom by herself. She won't be able to wear her favorite pink tutu. Everything turns out ok when Posey meets her teacher and she decides on a first grade parade in your favorite clothes for the first day of school. I think this is a great beginning chapter book. Posey deals with issues that other kid ...more
Lisa
Oct 11, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a perfect first series for new readers who are beyond easy readers but need a challenge.
Posey is a first grader and the minimal plotline deals with the same types of things most first graders deal with.
Lots of spot illustration throughout to keep even Kindergarteners happy. Not only good for a blossoming reader, but a terrific read aloud as well.
This new series fills a niche between EZs and Clementine.
Janice
Mar 22, 2011 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This will appeal to all the young girls who love to wear tutu skirts. Posey isn't happy to hear that she won't be able to wear her favorite outfit to school. Her ballerina outfit has a few rips and tears in it. Her grandpa introduces her to her first grade teacher at the grocery store and they talk about their favorite clothing...the teacher's are some ratty old tennis shoes. The teacher decides all the kids should wear their favorite clothes on the first day of school for a parade.
Valleri
I really enjoy this series. It isn't too wordy that a fresh-out-of-kindergarten-er gets lost and it deals with the reality that little kids face. Posey's sometimes impulsive behavior seems really true to life and my children and I enjoy the humor the author weaves through each story. My children and I can finish at least one book within thirty minutes and it keeps our attention the whole way through.
KathyP
Jan 17, 2015 KathyP rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for 1st grade girls who are advance readers, too! The reading level is 2.8. My first grader loves, loves, loves these books. She wishes there were "99 books in the series".

Posey is a first grader who is sweet, but timid. Her personality fits most 1st graders, I think. She is ready for the big world, but not so sure. Each book has a conflict that is a normal 1st grader conflict. In this book, she is excited, but timid about going to first grade. Aren't all new first graders?
Salsabrarian
Posey nervously anticipates her first day of first grade. She'd love to wear her favorite tutu that day and be Princess Posey, the Pink Princess, but her mother says no. A chance encounter at the store with her new teacher inspires Miss Lee to invite all her new first graders to wear what they want and be part of the first-grade parade. A simple story that reassuringly addresses some of the common fears children have.
babyhippoface
Pretty cute little book about a first grader who is nervous as all get-out about starting school. Mama can't walk her to her classroom door like she did in Kindergarten (she has to kiss her goodbye in the hallway), and she can't wear her favorite pink tutu. First grade is bound to be horrible. Thank goodness her teacher comes up with a clever idea for the first day of school. (Someone should try it!)
Keely Shannon
I won't put this in my classroom library due to a minor plot hole involving consequences from the character's actions, but I would recommend it with parental guidance and may use it as a read aloud during the first week of first grade. Posey is a charming character and I look forward to more books in this series.
Kim Harris
Oct 05, 2014 Kim Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet little school story for those just starting to read chapter books. Posey is worried about the first day of school. Her mom can't walk her to her new classroom, the boys down the street tell her there is a monster just waiting to eat first graders in the first grade hall, and she can't even wear her favorite pink tutu to school. But then a chance meeting at the grocery changes everything.
Joanne Palin
A very early chapter book for emerging readers, this was a sweet introduction to the series. Non-readers will love it as a read-aloud, and emerging readers will love the short, readable chapters and the struggles and anxieties Posey has. I love the questions at the end of the book. They could make terrific writing prompts!
Tammy
Aug 19, 2014 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Princess Posey is the imaginary name that this little girl uses for herself at times. She has a a cute realistic personality and with that she tackles her age appropriate troubles. Many of the dilemmas take place at school with her friends. Absolutely charming and character building chapter book series.
Abigail Kline
Sep 28, 2016 Abigail Kline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el-230
I chose this book because it has a bright and colorful cover. As I read it, I realized that the lesson that you could teach children with this book goes deeper than I thought. This book could be used to teach kids about how everyone is unique and different. It teaches kids to be proud that they are unique and to be themselves.
Marcie
Jul 04, 2010 Marcie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read aloud for first day of first grade. Even includes possible questions at the end. Ten short chapters. I can see Kindergarten and first garde classes having their own parades at the end of the first week of school. Stephanie Greene lives in Chapel Hill, NC.
Mirela
Jun 19, 2016 Mirela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in a series, it's a good choice for the first reader. The text and the story line are fairly simple and easy to read. My daughter finished it in one sitting.
Star rating assigned by the shared opinion of both 7 y/o daughter and Mom.
  • Frankly, Frannie (Frankly, Frannie #1)
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland
  • Nikki and Deja (Nikki & Deja)
  • Heidi Heckelbeck and the Cookie Contest
  • Lulu and the Duck in the Park
  • Lulu and the Brontosaurus
  • Piper Green and the Fairy Tree
  • Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)
  • Amy and the Missing Puppy (Critter Club, #1)
  • Sophie the Awesome (Sophie, #1)
  • Dory and the Real True Friend
  • Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth
  • Leroy Ninker Saddles Up (Tales from Deckawoo Drive, #1)
  • Anna Hibiscus (Anna Hibiscus, #1)
  • Stella Batts Needs a New Name (Stella Batts, #1)
  • The Princess in Black and the Perfect Princess Party (The Princess in Black, #2)
  • Patch (Breyer Stablemates)

Princess Posey (9 books)
  • Princess Posey and the Perfect Present (Princess Posey, #2)
  • Princess Posey and the Next-Door Dog (Princess Posey, #3)
  • Princess Posey and the Monster Stew (Princess Posey, #4)
  • Princess Posey and the Tiny Treasure (Princess Posey, #5)
  • Princess Posey and the New First Grader (Princess Posey, #6)
  • Princess Posey and the Christmas Magic (Princess Posey, #7)
  • Princess Posey and the First-Grade Boys (Princess Posey, #8)
  • Princess Posey and the Valentine's Day Ballet (Princess Posey, #9)