Start by marking “Oliver's Story (Love Story, #2)” as Want to Read:
Oliver's Story (Love Story, #2)

Oliver's Story (Love Story #2)

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  3,877 ratings  ·  162 reviews
Oliver Barrett IV found his true soulmate when he met and fell in love with Jenny Cavilleri. Their love was magical, exhilarating . . . and though heartbreakingly brief, it was enough to last a lifetime. Or so Oliver told himself.

Two years have passed since Jenny was taken from him, and Oliver truly believes he will never love again. Then one day, Marcie—beautiful and myst
Published June 26th 2012 by Avon (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Oliver's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oliver's Story

TK421
Some people will disagree with me, but I thought there never should have been a sequel to LOVE STORY. That novel was a perfect entity unto itself. Sure there were unanswered questions, but that was part of its charm. OLIVER'S STORY in my opinion does a disservice to the overly romantic Love Story.

Some time has passed since the reader has last heard from Oliver. His life has moved on, sort of. He still dreams about his late wife, who wouldn't? Right? But when Oliver does meet a woman, and does h
Nikita Ompang
Love Story took me by surprise. I didn't know it would end just LIKE THAT!!! But then, I was actually satisfied with that ending and I found the book so amazingly perfect. And then, this book came out. I wasn't aware that there would be a sequel to Love Story. And since I loved Love Story, no one could stop me from reading this one, even if I know that Jenny wouldn't be in it.

***Contains a FEW SPOILERS from this point onwards.
And so I read. I wasn't sure what to expect, just that Oliver's still
Aditi
"True love comes quietly, without banners or flashing lights. If you hear bells, get your ears checked.”- Erich Segal, Love Story.
Yes Love Story ended off with Jenny's death leaving Oliver miserable and lonely for the rest of his life.

In Love Story, we saw how perfectly Oliver and Jennifer fell in love with each other, and even more perfect when they started living together. But not for very long, Oliver's soul mate, Jenny was taken away from him. This book was in very possible way amazing and
Tanya
Let me start by saying I did like Love Story. So you really can’t hold this against me.

I hated this book. HATED it. And I very rarely hate a book. Sure, some books fail to live up to my expectations, some are just disappointing after being hyped up and receiving rave reviews, and some just aren’t my kind of books. With Oliver’s Story, the problem was this : it was plain terrible.

I’m reviewing this book a week after reading it in the hope that some of the anger would have subsided. I can’t say th
Farah
Seperti yang sudah gue prediksikan, buku kedua ini jauh lebih berkesan di gue daripada buku pertamanya. Sayang, gue masih cinta sama gaya bahasa terjemahan Bapak Hendarto Setiadi di buku pertama. *angkat topi*

Mari kita mulai spoilernya disini.
(view spoiler)
Shonali
Things I liked about this book: ( Can’t say I liked any thing so I am just giving my views )

I wanted to like this book , I really did . I had absolutely loved Love Story ( ya,ya I know , the tear jerking romantic story ) I knew this book couldn’t be as phenomenal as Love Story. Some books have that kind of impact but I had definitely expected something atleast close to the first book.I was throughly disappointed.

The book fell short on reasoning and realism. As a reader I just couldn’t identify w
Camille Eugenio
I've been putting off this book for awhile now. Just because I'd love Jenny and Oliver so much from the first book, and I believed they've had this one great true love, that, reading a journey to love again for Oliver after that, feels like too much of a betrayal to Jenny. However I just needed to read it. See my dilemma? You want to read a book, but you're just to afraid to read it. You know what I mean? And so now, after having read the book, here I am, just contemplating everything. It's 1 am ...more
Jim
This was an excellent sequel to Love Story. Oliver is now on his own & must find meaning to his life without his great love, Jenny. It's well done, especially his relationship with his father. It especially meant a lot to me, having raised a couple of boys myself. It's amazing how my intelligence & worth have varied in their eyes as they've grown.
hugsandcookies
Liked it and hated it. But was I happy to learn that Oliver's story was out. No, not really cause sometimes you don't want to move on after reading all about Jenny. Yet sometimes you have to let go to move on. So this is basically two years after Jenny.

The story is more or less told about his journey and him moving on. Was I expecting a happy ending. No. But trust me you will need to find out the rest cause I never expected this.

I love the characters that made appearances. Jenny's dad, Oliver's
Clara
The characters in the sequel to "love story" are deeper, darker and more interesting. Also because it's mostly a book about loneliness, it won't make you feel so good in the end. For all those reasons and others, I liked it. oh, and it took two days to read - that's also an advantage in comparison to LS which took only about 2 hours.
Sulis Peri Hutan
Lanjutan dari buku Love Story. Review ini sedikit banyak berbau pribadi, berbau curhat, subjektif banget karena saya pernah melihat kisah cinta yang mirip seperti Jenny-Oliver walau nggak sama persis plek. Kesamaannya adalah ditinggal orang yang dicintai untuk selama-lamanya. Jadi jangan berharap mendapatkan review yang objektif, emang kayak apa sih review yang objektif itu? Persetan!

Saya akui, tidak mudah move on dari orang yang sudah bertahun-tahun menemani kita, dan ketika membaca buku ini sa
Monicka.k.j Jayachandran
Its true that, not all true love ends in,"They live happily ever after" sequence.Even in fairy tales or fiction stories there are love stories that didnt end in a gracious or grandiose wedding.Just like the book,Love Story-"Romeo and Juliet" didnt end in a wedding ceremony but end their lives together to continue their love in till death though they part..Sometimes, our true love is with us only for a while and no matter how much we wander and look around to start living all over again with an o ...more
Sundeep Supertramp
First of all, I ask all the readers to complete erase the expectations you have on this book. This one is good the way it is. Don't, don't and don't even try to compare this one with the first one (Love Story).

Let me start with a praise for Erich Segal. He is a very rare story teller.

To be frank, the best thing about his books (atleast for me) is the lesser words density per page. I, being slow reader, can complete a page in about 30 seconds. Thats the good thing about the print.

About the story
Larissa
Was expecting something different from “Oliver’s Story” by Erich Segal.

As far as the book went, I was expecting that the main character would re-marry…but instead it let me believe he was all alone — for 5 years or maybe more. And maybe some gal (whom he had no idea where it would go with her).

Didn’t cry with book, however…but definitely it was different in - a good way I suppose - that it wasn’t a ‘happy’ cliche story.

Well I don’t know if this sums it, but I guess it does, it’s my opinion for f
tinette sarra
i wasn't much into Oliver's story. i read it because i wanted to know what happened to Oliver after Jenny left. but i was having mixed emotions. i know i wanted Oliver to have a good life because he deserved to move forward. but a part of me doesn't want him to get involved with someone else and forget Jenny. Love Story was a sad one with a lot of happy, memorable moments. i was still stuck with Jenny and Oliver even when i started reading book # 2. In the middle of the book, it was getting bori ...more
Asmita
By the time you finnish the last page and most significantly the last line, you will have grown a hatred for Oliver and Erich Segal that I am sure of because I did too. But I also guarantee that by the time you finnish the last page of this book you will have forgotten everything.
when you read the book, from the very beginning there is nothing to prove the absence of jenny cavilleri, or nothing rather emphasised. but the last line is really worth remembering.
[This is oliver barrett IV writing h
Imas
Buku kedua ini ternyata lebih bagus menurut aku dibanding dengan buku pertama.Belum pernah baca karya Erich Segal sebelumnya membuat aku tertegun..bukan cerita cinta biasa. Menarik,tak terduga dan mengesankan. Cinta Jenny dan Oliver yang singkat namun abadi..
Vicki
The majority of sequels never live up to the expectations of a great first story and this was no exception. I read Oliver's Story shortly after it originally came out but recently re-read it to see if it brought back any good memories. It didn't.
Christine
Brittany Morgan
Aliaq8
Didn't enjoy it.. Could be coz Jenny wasn't in it! I found myself missing her immensely.
Amit
Liked the book but why is Oliver such a prick? Lol
Margaret
Oliver lost his wife two years ago. His father-in-law is trying to push him into the dating scene again. His friends are trying to set him up with their friends in hope that he would not be alone. No one realized that Oliver wanted to be alone for a whi8le longer. He still missed his wife like she just died instead of two years ago. Oliver met Marcie and realized that maybe he was ready to move forward after all. Marcie made him realize that his wife would want him to be happy and to finish liv ...more
Santu
Two years after Jenny's death, Oliver is still learning to cope with the emptiness of life. Under personal guidance and guilt, he has distanced himself from the remainder of society, using work to as an output for his emotions. Jenny's dad, Phil, maintains a close relationship with Oliver, advising him to get back on track and being involved in his social life. Though Oliver isn't fully in accordance with this idea, fate has it in store for him, bringing back old memories and a new love, revivin ...more
Janani
after searching for this book every nook and corner (for it is the last of erich segal's i havent read yet) i was ecstasic to finally hold this book in my hand and start reading!

as usual, erich segal did not bull shit with his character and Oliver was his amusing self.
the relationship that oliver and phil share is simply beautiful.
i could spot quite a lot of similarities with oliver's budding relationship with marcie with that of jenny. looks like he loves girls who dont buy his bluff.

everythin
Alvi Harahap
The story revolves around the after-life of Oliver (the lead character), after losing his wife, Jenny, with whom he was deeply in love with. After two years of his lose, he is more single than anything. The time he spent with Jenny, together, was brief, but it was enough to last a lifetime. Now, after 2 years that incident, he wants to move on. He wants to get out of that darkness called loneliness when he met Marcie.

I felt that the relationship with Marcie went on too long. Also, the first book
Moiz Izzy
The Books is a good Read. The author has an excellent flair with writing romantic novels.. The subtle hints of romance, coupled with the simplicity of expressions and the lethory of emotions. He makes the book an amazing journey into the mind of Oliver Barett. His troubles and griefs become ours. His uncertainties are shared by us as we read.. However the author is unable to completely involve the reader and the characters often seem too unreal (Perhaps that may be because I am from a different ...more
Bu
Ollie.

Kalau Love Story kisarannya tentang Jenny sang istri dan orangtua mereka, Oliver's Story menawarkan yang lebih luas dari itu. Disini Segal bercerita pula tentang kepedulian teman dan tanggungjawab sosial sebagai pengusaha yang bermoral.

Meskipun bagian dari Barret, Ollie tetaplah Ollie.
Ia menegaskan keberpihakan diri dan pandangannya mengenai dunia, bersih dari pengaruh Barret pendahulunya yang ia rasa 'berhutang' kepada para pegawainya.
Ada haru yang menyeruak tatkala saya menyadari tentang
Krystl Louwagie
I read this book because I remember reading Love Story a while back and liking it, but I'm not sure I would be very interested in it if I read it today. By the time I finally got to reading this, I wasn't very excited since it had been so long since I read the last one, but I wanted to get it read because I had been borrowing it from a friend for a very long time and wanted to get it back to them. The writing is done decently and at a pretty nice pace-it's an easy read which helped.
But, I didn't
Divya

I think that a sequel was not needed for this favourite love story of mine. But this is still the best possible and dignified sequel written to this epic story.
real love? 2 15 Aug 13, 2011 03:09AM
  • পারাপার
  • Kissing Frogs in Cyberspace
  • The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom
  • Buku Ajar Koas Racun
  • Old Enough to Know Better
  • The Man I Should Have Married
  • Bitter Virgin 4 (Bitter Virgin #4)
  • Tesa
  • A.M.S.A.T - Apa Maksud Setuang Air Teh
  • A Wife by Accident
  • Old Souls
  • Camar Biru: Cinta Tak Selalu Tepat Waktu
Erich Wolf Segal was an American author, screenwriter, and educator. He was best-known for writing the novel Love Story, a bestseller, and writing the motion picture of the same name, which was a major hit.
More about Erich Segal...
Love Story (Love Story, #1) Doctors The Class Acts of Faith Man, Woman, and Child

“Sometimes I ask myself what would I be if Jenny were alive.
And then I answer :
I would also be alive." - Oliver.”
11 likes
“Sometimes I ask myself what I would be if Jenny were alive.
And then I answer:I would also be alive.”
0 likes