Start by marking “Monkey Island” as Want to Read:
Monkey Island

Monkey Island

Over the weeks that Clay Garrity had slept in the park with others of New York's 'homeless, ' Buddy and Calvin had become his family. Somewhere in the vast city, Clay's real father wandered, jobless and unable to bear it; his mother, too, was gone now from the welfare hotel that had been their shelter. Desperation had overcome her and swept her away. Clay couldn't leave th ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Monkey Island, please sign up.

Bryan
Nov 13, 2010 Bryan rated it it was amazing
Clay Garrity was a young kid in New York. His life was normal, until his jobless dad left the family and never returned. His pregnant mother was struggling to paid the bills and later left the family as well. Clay wakes up the fallowing morning asking himself " where is my mom?". This is not the first time that Clay wakes up in the morning to find that his mother missing, so he patiently waited for her to return, but after a few days he comes to the conclusion that she will never come back. Fear ...more
Tina
Sep 13, 2015 Tina rated it it was amazing
"'You told me the story of your life when I first came, and it took you about three minutes,' Clay remarked.
'That was an outline. Each time you tell the story, there's more. . . . . Any life is infinite. Imagine a single hour, all that happens in it.'
'But what if I'm reading, or just staring at something for an hour?' asked Clay.
'Do you think your brain leaves town? It's always working, with or without your permission. What you think and feel is as much of a story as the things that happen outs
Vance Bartelt
Mar 15, 2016 Vance Bartelt rated it liked it
Overall I thought this book was interesting and also confusing. It was fun to read tho. Clay's dad and mom left him because they couldn't afford the apartment they were living in. So everyday clay sits around his house sneakily and he goes to the park sneakily. He watches out for police or order kids that might hurt him and take his stuff. I didn't like how this book was so confusing and didn't explain a lot. It was decent but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. Unless ur really old. I think old ...more
Julie Baker
Sep 09, 2013 Julie Baker rated it liked it
I read this book because my son was reading it for a book report. Though written to be easy to read, it was a decent read. It certainly dealt with very adult themes and part of it was almost a little believable - the thought that a young boy would evaluate his options and truly think that going to the streets on his own would be workable is somewhat believable. All-in-all, even though I read it to support my son, I'm not sorry I read it.
Elise
Aug 10, 2016 Elise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is pretty intense. I'm not really sure I'd classify it as a "kid's" book. Maybe young adult. But the material is pretty mature, and the language as well. It's pretty tragic. The ending is positive, but not exactly happy. I thought the author did a great job dealing with the emotions and making it realistic, but it isn't a happy topic, so realism means it's somewhat depressing. Still, a good read for a mature reader.
Corine
Jan 26, 2010 Corine rated it really liked it
Shelves: 11th-grade
This book is about a boy named Clay, who has a dad who has lost his job and actually left one day without any reasoning. The dad abanded clay, his pregnant wife. They end up becoming very poor and have to live in a wellware with no money. Clay eventually ends up living on the streets after his mother disappers. Clay meets these 2 homeless guys that help him survive. The rest of the story is about clays survival in his hard life and all of the obstacles he has to go through to survive.
Kayin Hammond
Apr 18, 2016 Kayin Hammond rated it really liked it
I like this book because it's about a kid who has to survive on his own on the streets, and it's so cool.Another reason I like it is because the kid knows how to survive and gets help. I recommend this to people who like stories about serious things and newfound then lost things.
Jordan Chamorro
Apr 22, 2016 Jordan Chamorro rated it it was amazing
This is a book that you most definitely want to read. It is packed full action and conflict and is extremely well written. I recommend this to anyone who loves drama.
Florence
May 21, 2017 Florence rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Je pense que c'est une belle histoire qui montre que malgré les difficultés de la vie, on peut toujours reprendre pied de sa vie et aller mieux. Que tout ne fini pas toujours mal. C'est un livre pour enfant, certes, mais qui peut se lire a tout âge car c'est une histoire qui peut arriver à tout le monde.
Karen
Jan 22, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
Angie Fehl
Garrett, age 11, lived the good life for a time. He had parents who were in love and who loved him, a father with a good job in NYC and a mother there whenever he needed her. Then one day his dad unexpectedly gets laid off from that seemingly solid job and all quickly goes to pot. While Garrett's father falls into a bit of a depression, his mother quickly takes some computer courses before getting a job to save the family finances. Unfortunately, Garrett's mother quickly advancing in her job onl ...more
Peachy
Monkey Island had the potential to be so much more, as it is an important story that needs to be told. Far too many young adults and children find themselves in similar predicaments all across this world on a daily basis, and it’s time that someone put a voice to their struggles. The sad truth is that the majority of us are too busy with our own families and lives to care about the homeless, and instead look upon them as an annoying nuisance, or an eyesore cluttering up our clean city. The fact ...more
Martin Peko
May 27, 2014 Martin Peko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PROS

One major plus of this book was its seemed very realistic. It did this by being very descriptive to display what Clay, the main character, was going through while on the streets of New York. I felt it also did a good job of keeping my attention throughout the story because it was very interesting. Finally, I really liked seeing the characters Calvin and Buddy in the story because they are the types of guys who, despite being homeless, are still very nice people and deserve a lot more than th
Adriana
Nov 16, 2007 Adriana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Another sad story about a boy named Clay that ended up in a really sad experience in his life. His dad lost his job and left one day without saying a word to anyone. He left his wife who was going to have a baby and 11 year old son Clay by themselves. Clay and his mother lived in a welfare hotel with no money, no job and didn't know how they were going to survive. After awhile Clay's mother disappears aswell so Clay ends up in the streets where he find two homeless men that help him survive. The ...more
Kim Van Sickler
Feb 21, 2012 Kim Van Sickler rated it really liked it
I wonder what today's middle schoolers would think of it? Published in 1991, it's a quiet story of a boy who becomes separated from his parents through no fault of his own and lives on the streets for while. When he becomes sick and is taken to the hospital, he must decide to stay and cooperate as social services steps in to try and help, or flee back to the streets to continue the search for his parents and Buddy, the young black man who looked after him when he became homeless.

It's such a dep
Andd Becker
Aug 17, 2012 Andd Becker rated it it was ok
It is interesting to note that this book, like several books by different authors, mentions the book ROBINSON CRUSOE. THE GREEN BOOK, THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER, and at least one other children's book I've read, set in different time periods and different places, are united by the reference to ROBINSON CRUSOE, as though the spirit of that book guides the actions of the fictive readers of the RC book. I do not know of any other book which is so often mentioned in children's literature.
I would like
Jen
Dec 01, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had read an interesting article about Paula Fox a couple of years ago in the New Yorker and have wanted to read her since then, this is the first book of hers I have read. She writes for adults as well. I read the book in an evening. It was a gripping narrative wvwn though quite a bit of it just traced the main character's thoughts. I really had no idea which way it would go, as she didn't shy away from brutal and cruel twists.
Courtney
Apr 13, 2007 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Fox portrays the terror of being a homeless child (and later a ward of the state) with simplicity, and many children will find something to relate to in Clay's quest to care for himself and his missing mother. However, Fox's language stumbles at times. Her attempt at a timeless setting also fails, making it distracting.
Jade
Apr 10, 2009 Jade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book is pretty good so far,
And it's kinda sad but it's a good book.
Monkey Island is about a boy about 11 and his unemployed
Father moved out because he new he would be a struggle to the
Family to feed, clothe, and keep healthy.
His mother on the other hand was pregnant and just
Vanished over night.
Duane
May 03, 2008 Duane rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. The author does a good job of portraying the thoughts, fears, and realities of a young boy who is facing a uncertain future out on the streets. I think most young people will enjoy this book because it shows that even though you're young, you can still have bravery in uncertain times.
Tristan Goding
Sparse, cold, and straightforward, this is a book about something very real. Those of you who yearn for a quick young adult book that features a nice dose of reality, look no further. I was captivated by the story, though I probably wouldn't read it again. Honestly, though, it's worth checking out.
Mark Barnes
Jul 10, 2012 Mark Barnes rated it it was amazing
Monkey Island is a genuine treasure. From the beginning, readers will sympathize with Clay and will ultimately get an in-depth, sobering look inside the lives of the homeless. A short, easy read, you can get through this one in a few hours -- some of the best hours you'll spend with a book.
Tracey Cruickshank
Oct 15, 2009 Tracey Cruickshank rated it really liked it
My students had to read this book for English class so I figured I should look into it. I had never even heard of it. I decided to read it over the weekend. It was a wonderful story with a huge message. It actually made me tear up a few times.
Shannon O'Donnell
Nov 03, 2011 Shannon O'Donnell rated it really liked it
I have always loved this story. It's a quick, easy read, but it packs a powerful punch to the heart. My students LOVE it. It's sad, but it says so much about the human spirit and hope and second chances. It also opens our eyes to an issue that is too often overlooked. This is VERY worth the read.
Stephanie Dwyer
Jul 31, 2016 Stephanie Dwyer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cecilia Dwyer

I disliked the beginning of the book.
I would recommend this book to my friend,cousin,and sister.
My favorite part of the book was when he saw his mother for the first time in a while, and when he meet his little sister Sophie.
Koby
Mar 22, 2013 Koby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't too bad. I actually quite liked it.
Kim
Apr 05, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
Gina Hansen suggested for Grace..good fast read
Julianna
Jun 14, 2009 Julianna rated it really liked it
O.K
Camraan
Aug 04, 2009 Camraan rated it liked it
A 10 yr old boy abandoned by his single mother.
Bennett
Nov 07, 2012 Bennett rated it liked it
It was okay.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Bully for You, Teddy Roosevelt!
  • The Star Fisher
  • Shades of Gray
  • Sees Behind Trees
  • Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family, #5)
  • Bearstone
  • Weasel
  • Song of the Gargoyle
  • Rucker Park Setup
  • Wabi: A Hero's Tale
  • The Journal of Finn Reardon, A Newsie (My Name Is America)
  • Akimbo and the Snakes
  • Olivia Kidney and the Exit Academy
Paula Fox was an American author of novels for adults and children and two memoirs. Her novel The Slave Dancer (1973) received the Newbery Medal in 1974; and in 1978, she was awarded the Hans Christian Andersen Medal. More recently, A Portrait of Ivan won the Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis in 2008.

A teenage marriage produced a daughter, Linda, in 1944. However, given the tumultuous relationship wi
More about Paula Fox...