Start by marking “Monkey Island” as Want to Read:
Monkey Island

Monkey Island

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Over the weeks that Clay Garrity had slept in the park with others of New York's 'homeless, ' Buddy and Calvin had become his family. Somewhere in the vast city, Clay's real father wandered, jobless and unable to bear it; his mother, too, was gone now from the welfare hotel that had been their shelter. Desperation had overcome her and swept her away. Clay couldn't leave th ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Monkey Island, please sign up.

Em
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
White Oleander by Janet FitchOne for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly HuntThree Little Words by Ashley Rhodes-CourterPictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly GiffThe Orphan Factory by James Morcan
Kids in Foster Care
96th out of 146 books — 82 voters
A Solitary Blue by Cynthia VoigtThe Lottery Rose by Irene HuntPetey by Ben MikaelsenWhirligig by Paul FleischmanTangerine by Edward Bloor
7th Grade Book Challenge Longfellow
19th out of 35 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Bryan
Clay Garrity was a young kid in New York. His life was normal, until his jobless dad left the family and never returned. His prenant mother was struggling to paid the bills and later she leaves the family as well. Clay wakes up the fallowing morning asking himself " where is my mom?". This is not the first time that Clay wakes in morning to find that his mother missing, so he patiently waited for her to return, but after a few days he comes to the conclusion that she will never come back. Fearin ...more
Martin Peko
PROS

One major plus of this book was its seemed very realistic. It did this by being very descriptive to display what Clay, the main character, was going through while on the streets of New York. I felt it also did a good job of keeping my attention throughout the story because it was very interesting. Finally, I really liked seeing the characters Calvin and Buddy in the story because they are the types of guys who, despite being homeless, are still very nice people and deserve a lot more than th
Corine
This book is about a boy named Clay, who has a dad who has lost his job and actually left one day without any reasoning. The dad abanded clay, his pregnant wife. They end up becoming very poor and have to live in a wellware with no money. Clay eventually ends up living on the streets after his mother disappers. Clay meets these 2 homeless guys that help him survive. The rest of the story is about clays survival in his hard life and all of the obstacles he has to go through to survive.
Julie Baker
I read this book because my son was reading it for a book report. Though written to be easy to read, it was a decent read. It certainly dealt with very adult themes and part of it was almost a little believable - the thought that a young boy would evaluate his options and truly think that going to the streets on his own would be workable is somewhat believable. All-in-all, even though I read it to support my son, I'm not sorry I read it.
Kim Van Sickler
I wonder what today's middle schoolers would think of it? Published in 1991, it's a quiet story of a boy who becomes separated from his parents through no fault of his own and lives on the streets for while. When he becomes sick and is taken to the hospital, he must decide to stay and cooperate as social services steps in to try and help, or flee back to the streets to continue the search for his parents and Buddy, the young black man who looked after him when he became homeless.

It's such a dep
Karen
Peachy
Monkey Island had the potential to be so much more, as it is an important story that needs to be told. Far too many young adults and children find themselves in similar predicaments all across this world on a daily basis, and it’s time that someone put a voice to their struggles. The sad truth is that the majority of us are too busy with our own families and lives to care about the homeless, and instead look upon them as an annoying nuisance, or an eyesore cluttering up our clean city. The fact ...more
Adriana
May 08, 2008 Adriana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Another sad story about a boy named Clay that ended up in a really sad experience in his life. His dad lost his job and left one day without saying a word to anyone. He left his wife who was going to have a baby and 11 year old son Clay by themselves. Clay and his mother lived in a welfare hotel with no money, no job and didn't know how they were going to survive. After awhile Clay's mother disappears aswell so Clay ends up in the streets where he find two homeless men that help him survive. The ...more
Andd Becker
It is interesting to note that this book, like several books by different authors, mentions the book ROBINSON CRUSOE. THE GREEN BOOK, THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER, and at least one other children's book I've read, set in different time periods and different places, are united by the reference to ROBINSON CRUSOE, as though the spirit of that book guides the actions of the fictive readers of the RC book. I do not know of any other book which is so often mentioned in children's literature.
I would like
Em
I think the story was really good. I just didn't like the way the author wrote, though. I found it hard to comprehend sometimes. Wasn't very fond of Clay, either.
Kim
Gina Hansen suggested for Grace..good fast read
Jen
Had read an interesting article about Paula Fox a couple of years ago in the New Yorker and have wanted to read her since then, this is the first book of hers I have read. She writes for adults as well. I read the book in an evening. It was a gripping narrative wvwn though quite a bit of it just traced the main character's thoughts. I really had no idea which way it would go, as she didn't shy away from brutal and cruel twists.
Courtney
Fox portrays the terror of being a homeless child (and later a ward of the state) with simplicity, and many children will find something to relate to in Clay's quest to care for himself and his missing mother. However, Fox's language stumbles at times. Her attempt at a timeless setting also fails, making it distracting.
Jade
This book is pretty good so far,
And it's kinda sad but it's a good book.
Monkey Island is about a boy about 11 and his unemployed
Father moved out because he new he would be a struggle to the
Family to feed, clothe, and keep healthy.
His mother on the other hand was pregnant and just
Vanished over night.
Duane
I enjoyed this book. The author does a good job of portraying the thoughts, fears, and realities of a young boy who is facing a uncertain future out on the streets. I think most young people will enjoy this book because it shows that even though you're young, you can still have bravery in uncertain times.
Mark Barnes
Monkey Island is a genuine treasure. From the beginning, readers will sympathize with Clay and will ultimately get an in-depth, sobering look inside the lives of the homeless. A short, easy read, you can get through this one in a few hours -- some of the best hours you'll spend with a book.
Shannon O'Donnell
I have always loved this story. It's a quick, easy read, but it packs a powerful punch to the heart. My students LOVE it. It's sad, but it says so much about the human spirit and hope and second chances. It also opens our eyes to an issue that is too often overlooked. This is VERY worth the read.
Tracey Cruickshank
My students had to read this book for English class so I figured I should look into it. I had never even heard of it. I decided to read it over the weekend. It was a wonderful story with a huge message. It actually made me tear up a few times.
Jenny
Oct 27, 2007 Jenny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 6th grade and up
This book is about a homeless boy who learns how to survive on the streets after his other leaves quietly when he is still asleep. You will be surprised at how the story ends
Rachel Axelrod
I read this as a teacher to my class. It really shows how easy it is to lose everything and how kindness comes from the unexpected.
Brendaarmenta
I think its a decent book, there is some twists but not a lot. you can kinda predict what will happen. There is very good details though.
Bobby
I think it's easy to call a book good just because it's dark.
Ergo, Monkey Island is dark but not what I would call good.
Jeremy Wood
teenage story of struggling under the adversity of bad luck and a cruel world. take it or leave it
Kate
A really interesting read about a kid who spends some time living in a park.
Selena
Well, I read this in 5th grade, so maybe I should try this again...
Wealhtheow
A really excellent book about homelessness and creating community.
Camraan
A 10 yr old boy abandoned by his single mother.
Koby
It wasn't too bad. I actually quite liked it.
Aaron
Dec 18, 2013 Aaron marked it as to-read
this is very good book for read
Bennett
  • The Facts and Fictions of Minna Pratt
  • Bearstone
  • Shades of Gray
  • Thirteen Ways to Sink a Sub
  • Bully for You, Teddy Roosevelt!
  • The Thief and the Beanstalk (Further Tales Adventures, #1)
  • The Half-a-Moon Inn
  • Holy Bible: Adventure Bible, Revised, NIV
  • A Silly Snowy Day
  • Miracle's Boys
  • Harlem's Little Blackbird
Paula Fox is an American author of novels for adults and children and two memoirs. Her novel The Slave Dancer (1973) received the Newbery Medal in 1974; and in 1978, she was awarded the Hans Christian Andersen Medal. More recently, A Portrait of Ivan won the Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis in 2008.

A teenage marriage produced a daughter, Linda, in 1944. However, given the tumultuous relationship wit
More about Paula Fox...
The Slave Dancer Desperate Characters One-Eyed Cat Borrowed Finery: A Memoir The Widow's Children: A Novel