Start by marking “Crossing Antarctica” as Want to Read:
Crossing Antarctica

Crossing Antarctica

In March 1990, Will Steger completed what no man had ever before attempted: the crossing of Antarctica, a total of 3,700 miles, on foot. Lured by the challenge and the beauty of Earth's last great wilderness, and determined to focus the world's attention on the frozen continent now that its ecological future hangs in the balance, Steger and his International Trans?Arctica ...more
Published January 27th 2010 by Menasha Ridge Press (first published December 17th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Crossing Antarctica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossing Antarctica

Bobbi
Sep 07, 2010 Bobbi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever been on an extended wilderness vacation you know that during the first few days you think about unfinished business at home, tasks to do, etc. As time passes you totally forget about anything but what surrounds you. You have no contact with the outside world and it is the most liberating, peaceful feeling that you'll ever experience.

Having said that, I can't imagine spending 7 months crossing Antarctica with temperatures as low as -50 with windchills over -100. Will Steger is a i
Warren Watts
I generally enjoy reading fiction, but after having read some 20 novels over the last few months, I decided I needed a change from my normal reading habits. While wandering through the non-fiction section of the library, I came across Crossing Antarctica, a firsthand account of the International Trans-Antarctica Expedition’s historic trek across the wilderness of Antarctica. Three pages into the book I was hooked, and it turned out to be one of the most fascinating books I have ever read.

Begin
Jaralee
Dec 27, 2011 Jaralee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this adventure very much... more than I thought I would. I think the reason it was so appealing is that I knew so little about Antarctica. I found it fascinating that the expedition brought together people from 6 different countries. This mission of discovery for science, respect for this unforgiving continent, including 6 people from different cultures and languages uniting in this mission of peace is a testament of what is possible. We all need to take ownership (shared) of our plane ...more
John Rivera
An absolutely amazing story, I had a hard time putting this book down.

I was surprised how many spelling and grammatical errors were present though, including odd errors like missing Geoff (one of the ) as "Ceofr." Was this book (or my edition) even edited?
Rob Mentzer
This book is not very good, but it is a chance to think about Antarctica and the limits of human experience for a little while, and so I read it one evening in the hotel room while Laura slept.

Antarctica! It is more like an abstraction than an actual continent. No one owns it, no one goes there save a handful of scientists, no one really knows -- really knows -- how cold and dark and unforgiving it can be.

At least, that is what everyone says, including the team of adventurers including Will St
Jill
May 28, 2008 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I met Will Steger at a Global Warming awareness event and after hearing him speak, I wanted to find his book. It's out of print and somewhat rare, but the next day I happened to be walking by the used bookstore and as I walked by, somehow I spotted it buried on a bottom bookshelf.

This book is the account of Steger's Trans-Antarctic expedition. It was a little slow to get into and I did end up putting down the book for quite a while. I found myself going through a difficult and trying experience,
Steve Hayden
Jan 11, 2011 Steve Hayden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is really a good book. You might think that a book about the monotony of traveling by dogsled across the Antarctic snow for almost 4,000 miles over the course of over 200 days might get boring but somehow this was interesting. The days are divided into short "chapters" so you can read as much, or as little, as you want to. The book brings in a little history and education as it describes the hellish journey day by day. I think that the reader falls into the monotony of the journey in the bo ...more
Dan
Nov 27, 2011 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminds me how easy I have it, even on the worst of days. This team had to be endlessly persistent in tugging sleds through antarctic conditions, faces cracking, wind blowing, moods dipping.
Sara Rapp
Sep 13, 2012 Sara Rapp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in adventure
I had the awesome pleasure of meeting Will Steger at a lecture he was doing about Global Warming and the threats to the poles. Very good read for anyone who enjoys adveture journals/diaries or biographies of adventurers
Michael Brady
Mar 29, 2012 Michael Brady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had the honor to meet Will Steger at the Chocolate Moose in Ely, MN after one of our trips into the Boundary Waters. He's shorter in person.
Lesley
Jun 10, 2009 Lesley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Spending 7 months traversing Antarctica is pure insanity - and Steger certainly doesn't romanticize the journey...
Leigh
Feb 14, 2011 Leigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a harrowing tale. Great one to read for those have the good fortune to travel in comfort (as the author most certainly did not) as tourists to Antarctica.
Cindy
Jan 17, 2011 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The whole time I was reading this book I was wondering what on earth would possess someone--anyone--to do this?!? But it was actually quite interesting.
Grace
Dec 12, 2009 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best expedition book I have read in my life. This is a must read for anyone who values endurance and takes nature seriously.
Carole
Aug 08, 2013 Carole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anytime I hav a little 'bump in the road' - travel woe ..I think of HIS travel experience. I really enjoyed this book, but read it so long ago it is hard to say much about it.
Alyssa L
Alyssa L rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2014
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2017
Jana Dace
Jana Dace rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2012
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2011
Forrest Ross
Forrest Ross rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Scott Rippeto
Scott Rippeto rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2012
Daniel Walker
Daniel Walker rated it really liked it
May 22, 2014
Dale
Dale rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2014
John
John rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2013
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2014
Tomijo Gale
Tomijo Gale rated it liked it
May 09, 2015
Paul Thompson
Paul Thompson rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
Josephine
Josephine rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Amy Jamison
Amy Jamison rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
A-ron
A-ron rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kim Lipker grew up in Colorado loving the outdoors from an early age. She is the author of four guidebooks for Menasha Ridge Press: Smart & Savvy Hiking: What Every Woman Needs to Know on the Trail; 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Denver and Boulder; The Best in Tent Camping: Colorado, 4th Edition (with Johnny Molloy); and Day and Overnight Hikes: Rocky Mountain National Park. She also wrote The Uno ...more
More about Johnny Molloy...