Start by marking “The Recipe Writer's Handbook, Revised and Expanded” as Want to Read:
The Recipe Writer's Handbook, Revised and Expanded

The Recipe Writer's Handbook, Revised and Expanded

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Praise for The Recipe Writer's Handbook
Revised and Expanded

"Barbara Ostmann and Jane Baker are experienced food editors who know their stuff. To achieve success, a recipe must be written with impeccable accuracy and unambiguous clarity. The Recipe Writer's Handbook achieves both objectives in full measure."-Irena Chalmers, author and professional food writing lecturer at T
Published March 30th 2001 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Be the first to ask a question about The Recipe Writer's Handbook, Revised and Expanded

Stephen
A poorly-written recipe is a major annoyance. Many types of errors can mar an otherwise good recipe: ingredients out of order, use of brand names, vague or omitted instructions, procedures out of order, failure to indicate yield. The co-authors of this book are professional recipe writers and editors who know whereof they write. In an exhaustive treatment, they lead the neophyte writer of recipes through the steps necessary to turn out a quality recipe: short yet complete, brief yet interesting, ...more
Tara Brabazon
What a delightfully odd book. I am not a recipe writer. I am interested in writing about food. But it makes me very happy that two people - Barbara Gibbs Ostmann and Jane Baker - hold so much experience and expertise in recipe writing that an entire book can be written on the topic.

Recipe writing is discussed as a genre, but with incredibly detailed information about typography, headings, grammar and rules with regards to measurements, weights and utensils used for cooking.

Fascinatingly, there i
Hope
After exchanging so many badly-written recipes with people, I've decided that this book is for everyone. Just the simple techniques presented in one chapter will make your recipes stand out for ease of use and logic of procedure. This was a great addition to my foodie library.
Anne Stephenson
The definitive style guide for anyone writing about food. Lots of great information organized into easily accessible chapters. I will definitely be using this as a reference tool as I write recipes. I can only imagine the time involved to compile the authors' vast knowledge into one guide. Thanks!
Jeannette
If you want to tighten up your recipe writing skills, this book is fine, but it's also not what I expected. The author stresses great things like being consistent and making sure a recipe describes what is going on when you're cooking/baking. But it's definitely a handbook, so there's lots and lots of lists of commonly misspelled food words, metrics & conversions. Useful for anyone serious about writing a good, standardized recipe, but not the book I was looking for.
AJ
---------

I should have read the title more carefully... this is definitely a handbook and not a how-to book. Most of it is dedicated to stylesheet type things like how to spell common recipe words. This book is suited for people who are currently writing recipes and not people who want to learn how to write good recipes.
Liz De Coster
Very technical, as the title implies, but for readers who use a lot of different resources for their cooking, I think it gives valuable insight into how a recipe is constructed and tested from the other end.
Erin

A little bit too much handbook for me... Useful to flip through, but not to sit down and actually read.
Noor
Jan 12, 2014 Noor rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: loved
This is a great book for food writers.
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Scribblingsquid
Scribblingsquid marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Joy
Joy added it
Feb 12, 2015
Douglas Baldwin
Douglas Baldwin marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
April Singer
April Singer marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Thesecret Garden-france
Thesecret Garden-france marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Food Writers' Favorites Beverages Alcohol Free Drinks For All Occasions Food Editors' Favorites Cookbook Food Writers Favorites Entrees The Best Recipes Cookbook Cookies Food Writer's Favorites