Paula: My Story So Far

Paula: My Story So Far

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Paula Radcliffe has managed to be both very successful in her field and incredibly popular with the Great British Public. She was the underdog for so long -- narrowly missing out on medals in the 1999 World Championships and the 2000 Sydney Olympics -- that fans longed to see her win. Paula's rosy manner hides a tough resolve to succeed and in 2002 her luck began to turn....more
Published November 15th 2004 by Simon & Schuster Ltd

Boof
Having realised that walking up my own house stairs had me almost passing out I decided to take up running (walking was a good start in my case) and within 6 months I completed my first 10K. Passing that finnish line I was the proudest and most elated I have ever been in my life and it was then that I realised what this "buzz" people kept talking about was. I felt amazing!

Not long after this I picked up Paula Radcliffe's autobiography and was hooked. I started reading and became in awe of someo...more
Carla
I think Paula Radcliffe is the greatest athlete ever and I had no idea she had written an autobiography before someone from the running club told me about it. I could get hold of a copy, started reading and couldn't put it down before I finished it. It's so fascinating to read how she starts her running as young girl, continues to grow during her university time and then becomes the professional runner that she is now (although I have no idea what her current status is, except from coming back f...more
Rachael Hewison
One of my life ambitions was to complete a half-marathon. For me that was a pretty big feat- as a teenager I hated most sports and I’d never really given running a go. However I put a lot of effort into training and completed the half marathon well under my target time. Since then I have become more interested in running as a sport and thought it would be interesting to read Paula Radcliffe’s autobiography.
It started off well and I was enjoying learning about how she’d grown up with running, how...more
Anna
I really really admire Paula, and I generally really enjoy sports biographies. Bearing all this in mind, I was very much looking forward to reading this book, and perhaps my expectations were too high. I am sorry to say that I found this book to be one of the most poorly written biographies I have read. The structure was messy and unclear, the pace was choppy and the language was uninspired. I finished it purely because I found the subject matter interesting.
Lisa
I liked this as I am a big fan of running. Hearing Paula's story was great. What I didnt like was her husband putting his two pennies worth in. It was almost as if he was justifying everything he did. The only person he needed to do that to was Paula-not the world. We/I want to hear about paula and her determination to be the best. Not the reasons he shunned he after a very tough race. the end.
James
A good read for all Paula fans but otherwise you may find it a bit slow.
It's always interesting to have an insight into the mind of one of the world's great achievers, see what motivates them and their path to the top. I enjoyed reading this for a bit of inspiration to head out on the coldest of nights. As always sports (auto)biographies are a good lesson in what dedication is!
A
Paula Radcliffe: Phenomenal runner, mediocre writer.
Running Sekret
So disappointed with this one.

It reads like a first draft, constantly going off on tangents then jumping timelines, before shifting back to the original point. It made it hard to follow and remember what year she was dealing with.

I also disliked her husband's 'additions'. In truth, I don't need his justification as to why he did things with Paula--that's between them. None of them helped my view of him either. In fact, they made it worse.

Sad I didn't really like this, when I so wanted to.
Shantalie
I enjoyed Paula Radcliffe's autobiography was interesting, and a pretty easy read. I'd recommend it to anyone who is a runner as there are lots of things that you'll be able to identify. It could sometimes get too technical for someone who is not so interested in the sport side of things. I think it would have been better if she had talked of other episodes in her life, beyond the running as it would have given more of an insight into her character. Overall though it weren't so bad.
Alun Grraway
Oct 06, 2011 Alun Grraway rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: runners
Shelves: running
I found it an inspiring book, which had a lot of insights to the way professionals train and prepare themselves for top races, which I have found useful for my own training.
The books biggist weakness is that often the author jumps from scean to scean, and some times back again, although in someways as she is a professional runner not a writer and this should have been corrected by her co-writer. But having said that, it is one of the things that makes the book authentic.
Anna
Apr 22, 2012 Anna rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: nf
Poorly written. I am not a fan of running or of autobiography. Received as a Christmas present as Paula is a 'local'. There were some interesting accounts of the struggle to be am elite athlete but as a piece of writing this was weak-obvously churned out for Christmas to capitalise on the year's events. Still I suppose if it supports her running career then good luck to her.
Thomas Foster Foster
Led me to run my first marathon, taking a little longer than Paula. This is a great and honest book. Paula is one of the greatest women athletes the world has ever known, and this book makes plain the sacrifice and talent that is required to reach such a level. Left me quite proud to be British :-)
Amy
This book was a good summary of Paula's racing and gave a great insight on what it really takes to be an elite athlete. However, I found it tended to jump all over the place - one minute she's talking about 1999 then 2000, and back to 1999 again. It made it a little confusing and hard to follow.
Dawn
Aug 08, 2008 Dawn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Runners
This was a fun read - sort of interesting to see how the life of an elite runner is. The narration is a little choppy and jumps around in spots (there were places in the middle of the book where I wasn't sure where I was, chronologically), but overall it was enjoyable.
Isabella Burke
Having a marked interest in high-performance athletes, I couldn't put this one down! A few good stories, but I'm not sure what I got out of it all except a damn good story and some mental tips!
Shane
This book was very repetitive and it made Paula seem like she made A LOT of excuses for her poor performances. I think I would still have a higher opinion of her if I had not read this book
Leah
I am currently reading this book loaned from a friend who's helping me train for my first 1/2 marathon. I get excited about running when I read this book.
Jesse
i can't honestly say she is the best writer ever...but i did enjoy her story...but not sure if that's because i'm a runner (or pretend to be runner) myself...
Shannon
Paula Radcliffe is arguably my favorite runner in the world. Even if this book wasn't very good (it IS good so far) I would still love it.
Steven
Gave up on the book, not because there was anything wrong with it. I just struggle to read any Biography.
Michelle Hammond
Good factual read. Makes you understand just how hard an athlete works.
Zoe
Dull & poorly written
Brian
Brian added it
Jul 02, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
evaricarda
evaricarda marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Paula Jane Radcliffe, MBE is a British long-distance runner.
More about Paula Radcliffe...
How to Run: All You need to Know About Fun Runs, Marathons, and Everything in Between How to Run Signed Edition Lifestyle and Cancer The Facts