Start by marking “Paula: My Story So Far” as Want to Read:
Paula: My Story So Far

Paula: My Story So Far

Paula Radcliffe has managed to be both very successful in her field and incredibly popular with the Great British Public. She was the underdog for so long -- narrowly missing out on medals in the 1999 World Championships and the 2000 Sydney Olympics -- that fans longed to see her win. Paula's rosy manner hides a tough resolve to succeed and in 2002 her luck began to turn. ...more
Published November 15th 2004 by Simon & Schuster Ltd (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Paula, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paula

Boof
Having realised that walking up my own house stairs had me almost passing out I decided to take up running (walking was a good start in my case) and within 6 months I completed my first 10K. Passing that finnish line I was the proudest and most elated I have ever been in my life and it was then that I realised what this "buzz" people kept talking about was. I felt amazing!

Not long after this I picked up Paula Radcliffe's autobiography and was hooked. I started reading and became in awe of someo
Carla
Apr 06, 2014 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I think Paula Radcliffe is the greatest athlete ever and I had no idea she had written an autobiography before someone from the running club told me about it. I could get hold of a copy, started reading and couldn't put it down before I finished it. It's so fascinating to read how she starts her running as young girl, continues to grow during her university time and then becomes the professional runner that she is now (although I have no idea what her current status is, except from coming back f ...more
Rachael Hewison
Feb 22, 2014 Rachael Hewison rated it liked it
Shelves: biographies
One of my life ambitions was to complete a half-marathon. For me that was a pretty big feat- as a teenager I hated most sports and I’d never really given running a go. However I put a lot of effort into training and completed the half marathon well under my target time. Since then I have become more interested in running as a sport and thought it would be interesting to read Paula Radcliffe’s autobiography.
It started off well and I was enjoying learning about how she’d grown up with running, how
Anna
Apr 13, 2013 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really really admire Paula, and I generally really enjoy sports biographies. Bearing all this in mind, I was very much looking forward to reading this book, and perhaps my expectations were too high. I am sorry to say that I found this book to be one of the most poorly written biographies I have read. The structure was messy and unclear, the pace was choppy and the language was uninspired. I finished it purely because I found the subject matter interesting.
Lisa
Jun 07, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this as I am a big fan of running. Hearing Paula's story was great. What I didnt like was her husband putting his two pennies worth in. It was almost as if he was justifying everything he did. The only person he needed to do that to was Paula-not the world. We/I want to hear about paula and her determination to be the best. Not the reasons he shunned he after a very tough race. the end.
James
Sep 02, 2011 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
A good read for all Paula fans but otherwise you may find it a bit slow.
It's always interesting to have an insight into the mind of one of the world's great achievers, see what motivates them and their path to the top. I enjoyed reading this for a bit of inspiration to head out on the coldest of nights. As always sports (auto)biographies are a good lesson in what dedication is!
Ammon
Paula Radcliffe: Phenomenal runner, mediocre writer.
Alfred Keep
I really wanted to give the book 3 1/2 stars. I thought the book was well written. But it tended to portray the author/runner as being too nice! In the track and field world that is incorrect. It is very cut throat in athletics as we all know it. I do find it a little hypocritical that Paula is being sponsored by Nike. Meanwhile one of Nikes biggest employee Lance Armstrong was one of the world's biggest dopers. Otherwise the book is still an excellent read. I cannot wait for part 2.
Running Sekret
Jun 25, 2014 Running Sekret rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
So disappointed with this one.

It reads like a first draft, constantly going off on tangents then jumping timelines, before shifting back to the original point. It made it hard to follow and remember what year she was dealing with.

I also disliked her husband's 'additions'. In truth, I don't need his justification as to why he did things with Paula--that's between them. None of them helped my view of him either. In fact, they made it worse.

Sad I didn't really like this, when I so wanted to.
Flora
Oct 31, 2015 Flora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
full disclosure: did not finish this. that's why i gave it 2 stars instead of 1. benefit of the doubt, maybe it would have gotten better. what i read (~70 pages) was so bad i could not go on. she comes off as very full of herself and self-righteous (unlike jim ryun in In Quest of Gold, which is kind of remarkable given that it is not only his story of being one of the best milers in the world but also of becoming a born-again christian). also there were grammatical errors and some words that see ...more
Rowena McIntosh
I didn't fully appreciated how demanding an athletes training was until I read Radcliffe's autobiography. Her level of commitment to her sport is staggering.
I'd have liked to read more about her successes. The book meticulously details her failures (read not placing in the top 3) while her victories are often grouped together in an offhand sentence. I guess that's the kind of attitude that drives you to the marathon world record but I felt it glossed over some of the more exciting successes of
Becci Williams
Mar 03, 2016 Becci Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this open and honest account of Paula's life so far.
Martha Goulding
May 31, 2015 Martha Goulding rated it it was amazing
inspirational !!
Shantalie
I enjoyed Paula Radcliffe's autobiography was interesting, and a pretty easy read. I'd recommend it to anyone who is a runner as there are lots of things that you'll be able to identify. It could sometimes get too technical for someone who is not so interested in the sport side of things. I think it would have been better if she had talked of other episodes in her life, beyond the running as it would have given more of an insight into her character. Overall though it weren't so bad.
Alun Grraway
Oct 06, 2011 Alun Grraway rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: runners
Shelves: running
I found it an inspiring book, which had a lot of insights to the way professionals train and prepare themselves for top races, which I have found useful for my own training.
The books biggist weakness is that often the author jumps from scean to scean, and some times back again, although in someways as she is a professional runner not a writer and this should have been corrected by her co-writer. But having said that, it is one of the things that makes the book authentic.
Anna
Apr 22, 2012 Anna rated it it was ok
Shelves: nf
Poorly written. I am not a fan of running or of autobiography. Received as a Christmas present as Paula is a 'local'. There were some interesting accounts of the struggle to be am elite athlete but as a piece of writing this was weak-obvously churned out for Christmas to capitalise on the year's events. Still I suppose if it supports her running career then good luck to her.
Thomas Foster Foster
Led me to run my first marathon, taking a little longer than Paula. This is a great and honest book. Paula is one of the greatest women athletes the world has ever known, and this book makes plain the sacrifice and talent that is required to reach such a level. Left me quite proud to be British :-)
Amy
May 10, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good summary of Paula's racing and gave a great insight on what it really takes to be an elite athlete. However, I found it tended to jump all over the place - one minute she's talking about 1999 then 2000, and back to 1999 again. It made it a little confusing and hard to follow.
Jacqueline Evans
Quite an interesting story. Got a little repetitive in the middle, but enjoyed it overall. It finishes in 2005 so left me wanting to know what she has been doing since.
Dawn
Aug 08, 2008 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Runners
This was a fun read - sort of interesting to see how the life of an elite runner is. The narration is a little choppy and jumps around in spots (there were places in the middle of the book where I wasn't sure where I was, chronologically), but overall it was enjoyable.
Ken Saunders
Great story of one of the finest long distance female runners in the world. At the time of writing holds the record for females in the 42km marathon. Very brave lady who overcame many problems in her running career
Isabella Burke
Having a marked interest in high-performance athletes, I couldn't put this one down! A few good stories, but I'm not sure what I got out of it all except a damn good story and some mental tips!
Shane
Feb 07, 2013 Shane rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very repetitive and it made Paula seem like she made A LOT of excuses for her poor performances. I think I would still have a higher opinion of her if I had not read this book
Leah
Aug 21, 2008 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am currently reading this book loaned from a friend who's helping me train for my first 1/2 marathon. I get excited about running when I read this book.
Jesse
Apr 19, 2008 Jesse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i can't honestly say she is the best writer ever...but i did enjoy her story...but not sure if that's because i'm a runner (or pretend to be runner) myself...
Shannon
Paula Radcliffe is arguably my favorite runner in the world. Even if this book wasn't very good (it IS good so far) I would still love it.
Steven
Gave up on the book, not because there was anything wrong with it. I just struggle to read any Biography.
Michelle Hammond
Sep 14, 2012 Michelle Hammond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good factual read. Makes you understand just how hard an athlete works.
Seanlang03
Jun 11, 2016 Seanlang03 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Encouraging.
Zoe
Nov 28, 2009 Zoe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dull & poorly written
  • The Dirtiest Race in History: Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis and the Olympic 100m Final
  • The Kindness of Strangers: The Autobiography
  • Put Me Back On My Bike: In Search of Tom Simpson
  • The Extra Mile: One Woman's Personal Journey to Ultra-Running Greatness
  • My Take
  • To The Elephant Graveyard
Paula Jane Radcliffe, MBE is a British long-distance runner.
More about Paula Radcliffe...