Start by marking “Every You, Every Me” as Want to Read:
Every You, Every Me

Every You, Every Me

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,195 Ratings  ·  927 Reviews
In this high school-set psychological tale, a tormented teen named Evan starts to discover a series of unnerving photographs—some of which feature him. Someone is stalking him . . . messing with him . . . threatening him. Worse, ever since his best friend Ariel has been gone, he's been unable to sleep, spending night after night torturing himself for his role in her absenc ...more
Published September 13th 2011 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

Tatiana
Sep 21, 2011 Tatiana rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: those who can't get enough of the ANGST
I usually like David Levithan, a lot even. But this new experimental piece of his - it caused me physical pain to slog through that little bit of the book that I did manage to read.

Let me recount my problems with Every You, Every Me in order of appearance:

1) the ANGST - the book assaults with an unbearable amount of teen boy angst from the very first page, when you do not even know the main character's name and circumstances. It's just angst, angst, angst with a hint of mystery. The novel breat
Jess
Wow, this book was a bit of a trainwreck.

There are a few things I need to point out.

Firstly, the strikethough. Half the novel was written like this and for the most part it seemed pretty random. I almost dropped it on the first page, because it was just that annoying.

Secondly, oh my god, the angst. Do you remember that part in New Moon, where Edward dumped Bella, and she was just this depressed mess for months? Yeah, well, Evan is like that, but permanently, and for no reason that I can discer
Nov 21, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
All I needed to know about Every You, Every Me was that David Levithan wrote it. The man has a permanent spot in my heart for giving me Dash & Lily! But this! Well…it was a whole new experience filled with imagination.

Once I opened the book, I could not put it down. The mystery and tension just built page turn after page turn just pulling me deeper into the story. I found myself clutching the book at times trying to get a better look! It truly was an amazing reading experience that blended p
Neil (or bleed)
What a shame.

With black-and-white pictures and strike-through texts, I thought this is a disturbing psychological tale but the thing is, it wasn't. Yes, there was a mystery but it didn't really work for me. I think it has been used just to make someone be compelled and read the book until the end in one sitting (which I did, unfortunately). But this is a hideous and pretentious technique. Because really, this book is all about angst, teenage angst and nothing more.

I gave it two stars, anyhow, b
Chelsea
May 29, 2012 Chelsea rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Ppl who only own one book- this one.
Oh god, this book.
I like the books of Levithan's that I've read but this was just awful.

The idea behind this book was actually a great and interesting. I like the way the book was set up and the addition of pictures to it and how the story was written between the author and the photographer.

The problems I had with this book:
1. The characters were COMPLETELY one dimensional and they didn;t develop at all over the book. On top of that the relationships between the characters weren't very convinin
Joost
Jan 06, 2016 Joost rated it really liked it
Op zoek naar een contemporary waarbij foto's deel uit maken van een bijzonder verhaal? Dan is Every You, Every Me misschien wat voor jou! Lees hier mijn recensie:
Caris
Apr 28, 2012 Caris rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, young-adult, 2012
Gah.

This book was like a bad episode of Scooby Doo.

I get the point, but you can’t just (view spoiler)

On the whole, the book wasn’t so bad. Pretty typical Levithan: outsider guy trying to understand a romantic interest. The voice was done well, but that was to be expected. I would love to see t
Daven
Jan 02, 2012 Daven rated it did not like it
I was intrigued by this novel for the opening 30 or so pages, given its unusual use of strike-through text to indicate retracted internal monologue of the main character. This also made it a bit challenging to read, as one has to read his thoughts on the two levels. But the novelty wore off quickly, and the overdose of teen angst became overwhelming. I felt trapped in what I imagine a really bad episode of "Dawson's Creek" must've been like -- miserable teenagers speaking in tautologies and me ...more
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
Easily, best book I've read all year. However, very different from David Levithan's other books.

Alisha Marie
Now THIS is what a young-adult thriller should be like. After being a bit disappointed at the mystery-thriller aspect of Susan Beth Pfeffer's Blood Wounds (but not disappointed in the book as a whole), Every You, Every Me was definitely a welcome surprise. I had expected the book to focus heavily on the gimmick and let the actual mystery plot, of what happened to Ariel and who's sending Evan those mysterious photographs, fall to the wayside. But it didn't. In fact, Every You, Every Me wouldn't h ...more
Raya
May 18, 2012 Raya rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of David Levithan
Two words: teen angst! And how does one evoke more teen angst? Strike through wording!

Evan has lost his best friend, Ariel, but how? Readers are not meant to discover a solid explanation until the end. In the mean time, Evan is haunted by her through memories and his own guilt for actions that resulted in her absence. Then, beginning on Ariel's birthday, someone starts leaving photos for Evan: a picture of trees, a picture of him, more trees, more Evan, and finally... pictures of Ariel. Evan, no
Aria
This book would not be my first encounter with David Levithan. The first book I read of his was Lover’s Dictionary which I loved completely because of how he unconventionally told the story of the lovers whose names were never mentioned (their gender was never mentioned too).

Every You, Every Me was eccentric. It was odd. It would put you on the edge of your seat. It would keep you reading until you find out what really happened.

Evan started getting weird photographs.
First when he was on his wa
Charlie
Sep 03, 2011 Charlie rated it it was ok
Every You, Every Me is an artistic endeavor that falls short. The idea of basing a story on random photos is intriguing and I was rooting for it to be an inspiring hit, but sadly I did not care very much for this work by David Levithan. Although I'm a fan of previous stories by the author, Every You, Every Me, didn't provide the level of intrigue or mystery the synopsis promises. At no point did I truly believe Ariel was behind the scheme and although this had depth potential, the plot wavered a ...more
Tina
Dec 28, 2013 Tina rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-books
I feel kind of disappointed after finishing Every You, Every Me. I love me some David Levithan from time to time and this one has definitely been the one book of his that I've been really meaning to read for a long time. Maybe it was the title or the cover, not sure exactly, but the book as a whole was really appealing to me, and I was really excited once I got my own copy and started reading it. Boy, did I get disappointed...

I mean, this is definitely David Levithan style: It's different, it's
Michelle Arrow
Mar 23, 2014 Michelle Arrow rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary

Ahaha, so this is what I really felt like while I was reading this book, but hey, not in a bad or negative way. Most of the time, I was just like "Hey! Oh yeah! That point there's cool! Where's the next interesting thing?" I was kind of lost reading this book, but I don't know if it was just me.

This definitely is not one of David Levithan's best novels. I loved how he chose this to be written with photographs, that is absolutely hipster and gorgeous all at the same time.

"This is it. This
Miss Bookiverse
Lang und breit
Every You, Every Me ist ein experimenteller Roman. Nicht nur, dass die Geschichte mit Fotos bereichert wird, auch im Textbild springen einen immer wieder durchgestrichene Wörter und Sätze an. Für manche mag das störend, gar unnütz herüberkommen, aber wer Originalität schätzt, wird begeistert sein.
Das viele Durchstreichen verdeutlicht meiner Meinung nach nur das Chaos in Evans Gedankenwelt. Die Geschichte ist aus seiner Sicht geschrieben und seit seine beste Freundin Arial nicht meh
Bridget
Jun 07, 2012 Bridget rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
If somebody wanted to know what it was like to have depression I would tell them to read this book. Not because I think its awful: The opposite! The thoughts that Evan has and how he reacts match very nearly perfectly with how having depression really feels.

Beyond that, the descriptions and photos and mysteries were all brilliant, although the climax was a bit of a let down in some ways. (Dana is an idiot. It felt too simple. Why did the book have to end?)

I found myself confused about Ariel. Li
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
There are so many versions of a person. We never completely understand a person, even if he/she is our closest friend, because we will only see one side of them. "You know one me. Just like I know one you. But you can't know every me. And I can't know every you."

Evan lost his best friend, Ariel. Evan blames himself. Suddenly, he comes along a mysterious photograph that is followed up by more curious pictures. Evan thinks Ariel is back to torment him, because of what he did to her. Photographs, m
Alyssa Zumpino
Jan 20, 2016 Alyssa Zumpino rated it really liked it
Wow. My heart was racing throughout this book. I didn't really like how the end was but I was definitely spooked and just needed to keep reading to find out the mystery. This was an excellent photographic novel, my first one. This incorporation of photos was amazing. Woah is all I have to say.
Melek G.
Jun 07, 2015 Melek G. rated it liked it
Shelves: teen
There are things I loved about this book and things that I hated about this book. Nothing in between, nothing that makes me want to go grab another experimental book, or another David Levithan book. Everything is separated by a fine line.

What I loved:
*Evan's crazyness. Because let's face it, Evan was crazy. You can take it literally or figuratively, I'm fine with both and I'm pretty sure Mr. Levithan will be fine with that as well.
*The design, if this is the right word for that. I loved especial
Maggie
Nov 19, 2011 Maggie rated it it was ok
Holy, emo! I loved the concept of this story, that no person can ever completely know another person. The stylistic choice to strikeout certain words and phrases was interesting. I think it was supposed to add a new dimension to the story, but it just distracted me.

The characters were dealing with heavy stuff. However, I couldn't get past the navel-gazing enough to actually care.
Dana
Jan 16, 2015 Dana rated it really liked it
-I feel like the cross outs in this book would hold more weight if they weren't /crossed out.
-SO MANY THINGS TO UNDERLINE. The writing is very Perks of Being a Wallflower without mimicking the style of concept like Letters To The Dead.
-Fiona is the real Wallflower.
-This would make an excellent movie.
-It's crazy to me how such small books can deal with such heavy topics so well.
-The fact that my name appeared in the grand reveal was just a huge mindfuck.
-The pictures really add to the experien
Meli
Jul 25, 2015 Meli rated it really liked it
Son 3,5
Para lo que este autor me tiene acostumbrada, esperaba más. Fue bueno, pero hasta ahora lo peorcito que leí de Levithan. (Comparado con sus propios libros, esto no signfica que sea malo).
La historia tiene gancho, pero Evan es demasiado llorón e hiperdramático.
Me copó MUCHO cómo fue escrito el libro (el fotografo, sin saber lo que David estaba escribiéndo, le iba mandando fotos al azar -es decir, el autor no sabía qué mostraría la siguiente foto-, el rumbo que tomaba la historia dependía d
Sesana
This was kind of a writing experiment for Levithan. Jonathan Farmer sends him pictures, and he writes the story around the pictures. It's the kind of thing that can work well for a short story, but to write an entire novel around random pictures, taken by somebody who has no idea what you're writing? It can lead to strange, even random twists in the novel where Levithan has to bend his story around whatever he's just been given.

That's bad enough, but much of the book is written like this struck
Kath
Nov 14, 2014 Kath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, ebooks
I keep reading because I’m eager to know what will happen in the end and I tried to finish it in one sitting but I wasn’t able to. So I spent another day to find out where the story will take me.

Evan is on his way home from school when he found an envelope on the ground that has a photo inside. He started getting more photographs where some of which he is in and most are of his best friend Ariel. He starts to think that it’s Ariel who’s doing it in order to punish him. He then asked Jack, who is
Lori (Pure Imagination)
Oct 06, 2011 Lori (Pure Imagination) rated it really liked it
I'm not sure what I was expecting from Every You, Every Me, but I should have known it would blow all of my expectations out of the water. I am a huge, huge fan of David Levithan. I have never read anything by him that I didn't love and this book was no exception.

I was not expecting this book to be so dark. Levithan has a way with writing such realistic characters that are so fraught with emotions. In Every You, Every Me those emotions take a turn for the dark with these troubled characters. Thi
Sab H.  (YA Bliss)
WHOA. Dark, compelling, unbelievably haunting and unimaginably brilliant.
I was dizzy from being inside Evan's mind. His character is so utterly palpable that it was scary. I've always loved anything that has to do with 'dangerous' girls. That sort of mysterious, dark and troubled female character that is just as messed up as she is magnetic. Sort of like Alaska in Looking for Alaska. And Ariel's character was mind-blowing. From inside Evan's head she was so many different things, so many differe
Rebecca
Feb 18, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it
The first thing that drew me to this book was the cover. The boy on the cover looks so sad and thoughtful, not to mention he is wearing some odd clothes. It made me wonder more about this boy on the cover.
As I got into the book I thought it was a little bit creepy and a whole lot mysterious. It has this sort of unnerving edge to it, that someone is sending these weird photos to Evan. I feel like the photos in the book add to the unnerving vibe.
I liked the mystery surrounding who was leaving the
Bethany
Aug 08, 2013 Bethany rated it it was amazing
(Okay, I'm a little new to reviews, but I'll try my best)

I don't get why people don't love this book, because I thought it was simply amazing! This was one of those books where I could not put it down. Literally! I finished this in a matter of hours!! David Levithan's books are truly breath taking.

And this book took my breath away. First off, were the crossed off sentences. That really caught my attention. It's unique, and you really don't see it that often. Through the first few pages, I kind o
Angie
Sep 26, 2011 Angie rated it it was amazing
I didn’t just read this book; I gulped it. I read it in one day. It has it all: mysterious characters, teen angst and a stalker leaving creepy photographs. Evan is walking home from school one day and finds an envelope with a picture inside: a picture off him taken in the woods on the day that his best friend, Ariel, had a nervous breakdown. He had no idea anyone else was there with them. With the help of his semi-friend Jack, he tries to find the mystery photographer. They want to know who it i ...more
  • Going Underground
  • Like Mandarin
  • Stick
  • Ballads of Suburbia
  • Blood Wounds
David Levithan (born 1972) is an American children's book editor and award-winning author. He published his first YA book, Boy Meets Boy, in 2003. Levithan is also the founding editor of PUSH, a Young Adult imprint of Scholastic Press.

More about David Levithan...

“You don't know me. You know one me, just like I know one you. And you can't know every me, and I can't know every you.” 251 likes
“There is no such thing as no choice. There is always a choice. The only question is whether it's a bearable one.” 98 likes