The Sword in the Tree

The Sword in the Tree

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  744 ratings  ·  35 reviews
In the days of King Arthur there stood a mighty oak tree within the walls of a castle. Peace reigned in the castle until the fearsome night when Lionel, longlost brother of Lord Weldon, returned to cause trouble and unhappiness.It was then that Shan, the son of Lord Weldon, took on the duties of a knight and hid the sword in the hollow of the giant oak. The days that follo...more
Published January 21st 1962 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1956)

Corinne
This book makes me want to cheer. My 7.5 year old has been ready to move into chapter books with a thicker plot, but thicker plot usually means chapters that are a bit too long. Enter this perfect book. There's knights and castle intrigue, a mute wise man and King Aurthur himself. It's exciting and engaging but on just the right level for him. Every chapter has an illustration and the vocabulary was totally accessible for him -except for the names. He had to ask a couple times about that, but th...more
Nicola Mansfield
Clyde Robert Bulla was one of the best authors of books aimed at the beginning reader; chapter books that range within the second grade level. This book is listed as 2.2. A rich, detailed historical story of a Lord whose knight brother kills/scares off the family so he can take over the property and become Lord of the estate himself. The plot contains several crisis and resolutions before the initial one is solved, making for a compelling, exciting story all of which is written with a limited vo...more
Nicole
This was the first chapter book my 6 year old son read. He loved it so much! It was a perfect read for him. It contains knights, sword fights, King Arthur and Camelot. He loved the fight scenes so much. (They weren't gorey at all. Very appropriate for this age group. And they didn't last long, either. It was just the right amount for a 6 yo.) He would read two sentences, get up and act it out for a few minutes, then come read another two sentences, then act those out, and so on until he finished...more
Heather
We just finished this yesterday. My kids really loved it and always wanted to read more.

It's a very simply written story. It has action and adventure, but it's never 'crazy action' or 'crazy adventure'. Not too stressful or worrisome. You just knew everything would be okay - but it did have some plot twists which pleasantly surprised them.

While it is simple, it is easy to read aloud. And a child who's been reading for a while could handle this as the chapters are rather short.

I can't say that we...more
Kristen
An evil uncle's plan to take over his brother's kingdom and it is up to the son to regain the kingdom.

Teachers can use this book to teach students about kingdoms, kings, queens, monarchy, loyalty, betrayal, and family. Teacher's can use this book to teach students how to have hope despite difficult circumstances.

Students will like this book because the main character is a young boy who faces difficult trials but must remain hopeful and brave. Students will be able to relate to the young boy and...more
Harold Ogle
I fondly remember reading this as a child, but I couldn't remember the plot aside from what is described in the title. So, reading it again now, I was pleased to find a "new" story that engaged me. The Sword in the Tree is set in a mythic England of late Middle Ages knights and castles, Lady Marian and King Arthur. It is a story of filial betrayal like those from Robin Hood or A Song of Ice and Fire, but aimed squarely at kids. Highly recommended for kids who enjoy chapter books.
Erin
Read this book aloud with my 9 year old daughter. It is quick and light. I would think boys would like this book better than girls. Which is good to find a book for boys. Shan is a very likable character. It is too bad that in life we have to have proof before we are believed. What happened to honesty and integrity. I always like it when good wins and bad loses.
Stephen
Join 11-year old Shan on an exciting journey to escape death and restore peace to Weldon Castle. This is a wonderful introduction for kids to the medieval world of knights, kings, peasants, and fair maidens.
Harmony
A great early/easy chapter book based in England at the time of King Arthur and the knights of the Round Table. A young boy hides his father's sword from his usurping uncle and protects his family until their castle can be returned to it's rightful owners. Great for boys and girls, 1st grade and up.
Jeffrey Ellsworth
A good book for kids about king arthur and knights and castles etc. An uncle takes over the castle and the mother and son run away. The son requests king arthur's help and the boy is able to prove it is his castle because he had hidden a sword in the hollow of a tree.
Esther May
This is a simple story set in the times of King Arthur. It is about a boy who was double crossed by his uncle and how he and his mother are able to work things out. I liked the story. My daughter (7) was able to retell the story in 3 typed pages. She loved this book.
Jeannie
I read this as a read-aloud to my oldest son when we was 9-years-old. He LOVED it - so I have to give it 5 stars! Any book that can interest my PICKY son gets high points in my book. This is a great way to introduce young ones to the middle ages. Entertaining and suspenseful!
Kristine Pratt
I love a good King Arthur story, and this one takes a unique approach. The story is about Shan, a boy who approaches the king to right a wrong - to restore his castle to him. It's an exciting story of adventure, intrigue, and betrayal. Very highly recommended!
Christian
The boy lived in a castle called "Weldon Castle." His uncle comes to the castle and says that his father died on the hunt. So his mother and and the boy run away. They go to the Castle Camelot....and when they go back, a little old man comes up with a message.....
Annie Pasma
Shan lives in a castle with his mother and father during the time of knights, honor and chivalry. When his uncle comes and usurps his father, it is up to Shan to travel to Camelot and bring the injustice to King Arthur. Full of great fun and adventure!
Sarah Smith
How I wish I had read this book when I was younger! Even reading it now, I was struck by how good the story was. The writing isn't convoluted, and it's pretty absorbing. I read it in an hour. Perfect for kids!
Leila
Wonderful way to introduce the Middle Ages to younger kids. Really gave a sense of the time, and yet the sentence structure and vocabulary were very simple and easy for even young readers to read on their own.
JoDean
Good book for kids emerging out of beginning chapter books - longer, more complex chapters while maintaining enough white space. Language didn't feel dumbed down.
Memyfriendsandi
It was a good book FULL of entertainment I am reading it for a competition (B.O.B= B.=Battle O.of B.= Books all together battle of the books
Elizabeth Heath
Historical Fiction book- Shan a son of a Lord goes on a journey to see King Arthur because his wicked Uncle took over his kingdom.
Shiloh Elizabeth
I liked it. Mostly, the whole entire time, the boy's hiding the sword. That's all I remember. It was just a school book.
Carol
We read this book for my sons book club. I thought the first few chapters were slow, but the story picked up later.
Kalia
This book was a fun and scary book filled with lots of adventure for a boy who needs to take over a castle.
Michelle
Of the books I have been reading with the kids for battle of the books, this is one of the better ones.
Melissa
Eh, I don't really remember what it was about, but I know I've read it. i'll give it a moderate review.
April
Great transitional chapter book and great introduction to fairy tale fantasy (knights, castles, etc.)
Joanne Kress
Lots of plot. Great for a child to read to parents at bedtime or as a shared reading book.
Cynthia
I love this book. It's a great just beyond beginning reader and it is a BOY book.
Steve Hemmeke
Very good beginning reader book, about justice in the time of King Arthur.
Tammy
I loved it and it was a hit with my children. Love this author.
  • The Minstrel in the Tower
  • Red Sails to Capri
  • A Grain of Rice
  • Dolphin Adventure: A True Story
  • Child's History of the World
  • The Usborne Book of World History (Picture history)
Born to be a Writer
Almost as far back as he can remember, Clyde Robert Bulla wanted to write. Born on a farm in a small town in Missouri, Mr. Bulla's first school was a one-room country schoolhouse. One day his teacher asked each first grade student what he or she would do with a thousand dollars. Young Clyde answered that he would buy a table. His classmates laughed heartily, and his teacher was...more
More about Clyde Robert Bulla...
Squanto, Friend Of The Pilgrims A Lion to Guard Us Pocahontas And The Strangers The Chalk Box Kid (Stepping Stone Books) Shoeshine Girl