Start by marking “Void Moon” as Want to Read:
Void Moon

Void Moon

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  15,907 Ratings  ·  638 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Michael Connelly writes novels of brilliantly original suspense. In this electrifying tour de force, he takes us into a world of extremes: too much criminality, too much money, and too many ways to die.
In L.A. Cassie Black is another beautiful woman in a Porsche: except Cassie just did six years in prison and still has "outlaw juice" flow
Published January 1st 2001 by Little, Brown and Company (first published December 7th 1999)

Diana
Apr 08, 2015 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read! slow at first but picked up eventually.. both compelling and intriguing..great detective work...(paperback!)
Kemper
As we all know by now, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

Unless what happened is that you’re a professional thief and your lover/partner-in-crime gets caught trying rip to off a high roller in a hotel penthouse and ends up flying out the window, crashes through an atrium over the casino and lands on a craps table in front of you. If that occurs, then everyone will know your business, you’ll be leaving Vegas quicker than Sheryl Crow, and your transportation will be a prison bus.

Cassie Black a
Jane Stewart
4 stars. The last two hours are edge of your seat. Great character development and outthinking each other. Excellent ending.

STORY BRIEF:
Cassie was in prison. She has been out on parole for 10 months. She works for a Porsche dealership selling cars. She is unsettled about something and wants to do another burglary job. She contacts her former buddy Leo who says he has a job needing someone like her - to steal money from a hotel room safe while the mark sleeps. The mark is a gambler in Las Vegas.
Dusty Craine
Apr 23, 2012 Dusty Craine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story with an unlikely hero. Like I've seen mentioned a dozen times here, there are no good guys in this story. This is a story of criminals moving in a the criminal life. The best character to hang your allegiances with is your story's central character Cassie Black. Cassie is an ex-con, ex-burglar who goes straight for a while and finds she just can't live that life. She decides to pull one last heist and disappear. But when things go sideways she finds herself stuck between where the ...more
Jim
May 15, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different MC for Connelly, Cassie Black is a thief, but still one of the good guys, at least comparatively. This was good, but really a 3.5 star read until the end which seemed as if it would be predictable. I'll simply say that bumped it to a 4 star read for me - power packed & excellent. Again he shows masterful foreshadowing & attention to detail.

Again, I read this in published order, Callie Black #1, which I highly suggest. A Darkness More Than Night comes next. It is Harry Bosch
Scott Rhee
Jul 07, 2016 Scott Rhee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir, vegas, heist
True story: I once had a job offer in Vegas, but I turned it down. This was roughly ten years ago, before the housing market bubble imploded, when houses were being built by the second and spreading across the Nevada desert like some urban sprawl virus. The massive influx of people meant a demand for schools, which meant a demand for teachers.

As a fresh-out-of-graduate-school teacher, I was pretty eager to find a job. My interview for the Vegas school district went like this: Do you want a teach
Ângela Costa
Nov 06, 2013 Ângela Costa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fiquei indecisa entre as 4 ou 5*...O livro é muito bom, prendeu-me da primeira até à ultima página. Recomendo ;)Michael Connelly é realmente um excelente escritor!
Lisa
About a month ago, I put out a recommendation request on Goodreads which can be found here. The very next day, I received a recommendation from Antonio for Void Moon. I honestly had been looking for a book like this for the past year, so many thanks to Antonio for helping me finally find the story I was looking for.

I have a soft spot in my heart for anti-heroes, those good guys who aren’t all that good but have the best intentions at heart. Those intentions are always selfish in nature, but they
Susan
Apr 23, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Michael Connolly's stand-alones and in my opinion one of his best books. The female protagonist, Cassie Black, completely won me over, even though she's an ex-con and planning another casino heist in Las Vegas. She's got her reasons.

Connolly shows her preparations in great detail. She wants, needs and expects it to be a perfect heist. Wrong-O, Cassie.

Cassie hits the road to escape the psycho Vegas "fixer" sent after her by the mob. Strangely, or perhaps craftily, Connolly imbues
Siobhan
Oct 27, 2015 Siobhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Connelly is one of those authors. You know what I mean, whereby the word ‘those’ is written in italics or spoken with more emphasis than the rest of the sentence. He is a name you can speak and everyone will instantly know to whom you’re referring. Most have read one of his books, if only to see what he is all about. Considering the number of books he has written, and the following he has, it should come as no surprise that he has been sitting on my to-read list for a very long time. Wit ...more
Tom Swift
Jan 04, 2016 Tom Swift rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Connelly is one of the best. This is a stand alone novel, it is not part of the Harry Bosch series. A great crime thriller, bad guys in Vegas and Los Angeles. Any books from this author are worth the ride.
Ed
I am a big Michael Connelly fan and wondered how I had missed this book. Well, perhaps it's because it isn't up to his usual standards.

Written in 2000, it describes the efforts of a Las Vegas thief and parolee, Cassie Black, to raise enough money to kidnap her natural daughter and take off for Tahiti.

It starts slow and then slows down. It finally picks up the pace about 150 pages in and in the last 40 pages moves very quickly to tie up all the loose ends. The ending is not very satisfying but s
Sidna
Jul 19, 2011 Sidna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Michael Connelly, but this is not his best work. The main character in this book is Cassie Black, not one of his series characters. She had a bad childhood in Las Vegas and ends up getting a job as a dealer. Vegas is not as bad for people who live there as Connelly portrays it. He definitely prefers LA to Vegas! She is tired of that life and gets herself involved with a small time thief. They have a relationship until he is killed in the course of pulling a job. She is convicte ...more
Bandit
May 24, 2016 Bandit rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Utterly forgettable and bland sort of thriller. Really didn't stand out in any way, even though I have fairly relaxed standards for audio books. A story of a former casino thief doing that proverbial one last job for all the right reasons. Something doesn't go according to plan and suddenly there is a psychopath private investigator on her tail. It's all pretty predictable, decently paced, comes across like a straight for paycheck sort of book. The narration itself was pretty good. At times it w ...more
D.R.
Feb 16, 2013 D.R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good Connelly novel. As I read, I felt as if I was uncovering the plot, peeking inside just as Michael Connelly intended. The main character, Cassie Black was a complex woman -- beautiful, cunning, yet vulnerable. The excitement of stealing from Vegas "fat cats" thrilled her, but she was ready to change. After what was to be her final heist, she was sought by a psychotic killer, Jack Karch, working to retrieve the fortune Cassie had not expected to steal.

The final half of the book is a
Jeanette
Connelly must have written this one with the movie in mind. There's action, even within the technical aspects, it's nearly continual movements. Cassie sells luxury Porsche automobiles and we don't miss a crash up with one of those either.

Violence is high. Higher than in the average Bosch. And yet this one also does as much for Las Vegas as it does for L.A. Their streets and locations alive throughout this novel.

But to me, it doesn't carry the depth of personality which the Bosch novels continual
Aaron
Feb 29, 2012 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much everything about this Michael Connelly was a pleasant surprise.

Especially the following:

1) Female protagonist -- It turns out that Connelly writes troubled female charcaters almosta s well as he writes grizzled old cop characters.

2) This one is not a police procedural. It's a straight-up crime novel. It's the kind of thing that Elmore Leonard used to do so well.

3) Bad-ass antagonist -- The character of Karch is written so well, so fully realized, so definitively created that he bec
T. Fowler
Jun 02, 2015 T. Fowler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another unusual plot from Michael Connelley. I struggled a bit with the heroine at the start - a convicted criminal who accepts a lead role in a major Las Vegas heist and ends up apparently killing the target gambler. How can you sympathize with her? But you do in the end! The plot is also replete with technical details about such things as security in Las Vegas casinos and how to capture the combination to a safe. Good suspense throughout which intensifies in the final pages along with some sur ...more
Bambola
Jun 22, 2011 Bambola marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Just couldn't get into this. Didn't like the main character or her background and after a few chapters I really couldn't care what happened to her. Too many other books to read to persevere with this one.
Elly Wendy
Feb 17, 2017 Elly Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4* I had just grabbed “another Connelly,” so at first became puzzled until I bothered to read the summary and learned that our good buddy Harry Bosch would not be arriving. Handled my disappointment, did a mental shift, and carried on listening. I’d become engaged and got more into it as it went along. Went back into Goodreads and found the typical mixed reviews. Well, I am firmly in the “I liked it” camp. Maybe I didn’t find it quite as powerful as some of Connelly’s. But it kept me on edge, an ...more
Nathaniel
Sep 19, 2016 Nathaniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardboiled
Void Moon is another entrant in Michael Connelly's expansive fictional universe. (I talked about how his books make up a fictional universe in my review of Blood Work.) In this book, we get a new character: Cassie Black. Unlike Connelly's other characters, she's a criminal. (Bosch is a detective. McCaleb is a former FBI agent. McEvoy is a reporter.)

On the list of characters, I'd say she comes #3 for me (behind McCaleb and Bosch, but ahead of McEvoy). I like that she's on the other side of the la
Eric_W
Nov 15, 2008 Eric_W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Connelly is the excellent creator of the Hieronymus (Harry) Bosch series of police procedurals. His latest works have been a little different. A Darkness More than Night brings together two characters, Bosch and McCaleb (another Connelly character) in a story that pits one against the other, and this one that has neither. It concerns Cassie Black, ex-con on parole, who works at a car dealership in Los Angeles. She is haunted by the specter of the death of her lover and father of her child, who d ...more
Deb
I finally got around to listening to this thriller. This is not the first Michael Connelly book I have read/listened to and it won't be the last. Interesting characters, fast action, twists, turns.. what more do you need for a "good read"?

This story follows Cassie Black, a gifted thief who walked away from her criminal lifestyle, after the man she was closest to died during a job gone wrong. But, Cassie has a secret. A secret that she holds very close and would sacrifice her life to keep. When
Tony Gleeson
This one is a stand-alone Connelly novel featuring a totally new character, female cat burglar extraordinaire Cassie Black. Out of prison, burdened with psychological baggage, haunted by demons, she jumps parole in Los Angeles for one last big score in Las Vegas. An audacious caper if there ever was one, it's described in almost excruciatingly suspenseful detail. There's also an unsuspected death thrown in to raise the stakes. The story turns into a different kind of procedural: a cat-and-mouse ...more
Tom Tischler
Nov 24, 2014 Tom Tischler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cassie Black and her boyfriend Max were working Las Vegas. They
would watch and see who was winning the most money and then break
into their room later and rob them. They were very good at this and
after a few jobs they took a vacation to Tahiti. When they came back
Cassie didn't want to do this anymore so they decided one more job
and they quit. The job was a set up by hotel security and went all
wrong. Max was killed and Cassie got 5 years. When she got out a
friend gave her a job selling Porsche
Deana M
Out of all the Michael Connelly books I have read up to this point, this has been my least favorite so far. I had a hard time getting in to it, but once I did it was a pretty fast read. There really is no good guy/bad guy in this book. All the chracters are from the wrong side of the law, but out of those there is one character that makes you root for them~and that is Cassie Black. When Jack Karsh enters the scene, the book gets a little graphic and a lot bloody. I am all for mystery/good-guy/ba ...more
Matt
Jul 28, 2011 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
While not a stellar read, it was an interesting one. Connelly uses his regular crumbs from other books to tie them all in, but this one pretty much moves itself along. Its premise is a great caper within a Las Vegas hotel and the fallout ftom it all. Some good storylines woven into it, though having the main character be the villain is a little harder for me to create a connection. I guess I prefer the white night narrator.

Connelly kind of floats this book out there and leaves it to sail its own
Cheryl
Cassie Black is on parole after being convicted as an accomplice in a Las Vegas casino robbery. She's determined to make a fresh start but she needs to score one more hit before that. Unfortunately her "mark" turns out to be a member of the Mob. The casino sends Jack Karch, their investigator/hit man to track Cassie down. Suspenseful and fast paced, this book will hold the reader's attention right up to its startling conclusion.
Scott Bagley
I tried this one before and it didn't work for me. Glad I stuck with it this time, it was good. Not great, not Connelly's best, but good and worth a read.

This book is a slow burn, but all the set up makes for solid characters and a pretty good payoff at the end when I really didn't know which way it would go. It's cool to see Connelly write on the bad guy end of things, and the switching of POV in the book keeps the reader guessing.
Ski
Jan 06, 2009 Ski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of the Harry Bosch novels but this is my favorite Michael Connelly book. My guess is that there is a freedom when creating a character for a stand alone story that a writer would not have with a recurring character like Bosch. It's like driving a rental versus getting behind the wheel of the car that gets you aroud day after day. I enjoyed the ride.
Goodreads Librari...: Correct book name 3 17 Apr 19, 2015 02:27PM
  • Hostage
  • Warning Signs (Alan Gregory, #10)
  • Dead Watch
  • Bad Men
  • The Conspiracy Club
  • More Twisted: Collected Stories Vol. II
  • A Morning for Flamingos (Dave Robicheaux, #4)
  • The Burning Man
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache
More about Michael Connelly...

“Rollerboy down and lay down on it” 0 likes
“His game is baccarat. Far as anyone knows he plays clean. He’s just good at it. Spends” 0 likes