Start by marking “The Experience Economy” as Want to Read:
The Experience Economy

The Experience Economy

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  727 ratings  ·  46 reviews
In 1999, Joseph Pine and James Gilmore offered this idea to readers as a new way to think about connecting with customers and securing their loyalty. As a result, their book The Experience Economy is now a classic, embraced by readers and companies worldwide and read in more than a dozen languages.

And though the world has changed in many ways since then, the way to a custo
Paperback, Updated, 400 pages
Published July 5th 2011 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published April 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Experience Economy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Experience Economy

Michael
This book helped stretch my thinking on how businesses can differentiate themselves. Some notes:

Mass customizing - efficiently serving customers uniquely - means producing only and exactly what individual customers want.

Mass customizing any good automatically turns it into a service. Mass customizing any service automatically turns it into an experience.

Embrace theatre as a model for performance.

What would you do differently if you charged for admission?

When a customer buys an experience, he
Lamec Mariita
This book will stretch your head in new dimensions. It takes a very logical and reasoned approach towards the theoretical next steps of economic expansion. The concept of the book is simple and the logic is understandable. If you're looking for a lesson on the difference between commodities, goods, services and experiences, then this book will provide it. It's a nice book to read.
Marian Deegan
These smart HBR guys crafted a hard-to-find, dense, and not-so-easy-to-wade-through but definitive analysis of the sea-change that occurred in the business world fifteen years ago.

Reading this book then revolutionized the way I thought about marketing and selling. At the forefront of the new horde of business Paul Reveres trumpeting the transformation from "commodity" to "service" to "experience", Pine and Gilmore present a carefully researched and supported analysis.

As you chart a business co
Scott
I really enjoyed this. It made me think about, not only what I was doing for other people, but what I actually experience when I go to a restaurant or store. The Experience Economy will stick with me for a long time.
Wade M
Good book, but highly repetitive
Scott Wozniak
I liked the first version of this book but I was hesitant to read an updated version--I doubted the updated version had much more new things to say. I was wrong. There are a lot of new ideas here and they are profound.

The authors continue to do a great job explaining the emergence of the experience economy--selling the experience not just the product. (Think Starbucks and how it's more than just a cup of coffee.) That section only has updated examples. Then they add some extra insights on how t
Jonathan
A good concept, but as it is 1999, far from ground breaking now. The economic concept of the value of "an experience" (as opposed to a "commodity"; or a "good"; or a "service") is novel and the many ways your business can move towards the "experience economy" is thought provoking. However I became bored when the discussion changed to "work AS theatre" - performing your many "roles" dependant upon your audience; wearing the appropriate "costumes" with the appropriate "props". OK, OK, I get it; st ...more
Bruce
This book is an odd grab bag of ideas: many that are interesting and some that are downright bizarre. The heart of the book is “Chapter 8 Now Act Your Part,” which tells how to run your enterprise like improvised street theater or the Commedia dell’arte. I found the why you should do it a little harder to swallow. It seemed to be how to be a success in business by being so entertaining that people should want to pay you an admission price just to browse in your store. Eventually you’ll build you ...more
Joe
An inspiring read in my mind that calls to attention the changing landscape of what business offerings. It's quickly coming to pass that companies can just offer a commodity at a lowest price and be successful. Joseph Pine offers that more and more, people are looking for experiences and transformations. While he offers up a lot of background, examples, and frameworks for businesses moving to the experience economy, he didn't sell me on everything. The "work-is-theater" argument left me feeling ...more
Maria Kramer
I probably would have done better with this if I were reading it, instead of listening to it. I couldn't skim through the parts that were less relevant to me, so the book got very tedious. The content was...mixed. I understand and appreciate the main idea, but, while some of the applications sounded right on to me, others sounded horrendously tacky. I will try to incorporate the idea of "work as theater" into conversations with my employees, though.
TarasProkopyuk
"Экономика впечатлений" возможно ода из лучших книг в которой для читателей раскрывается реалии нового подхода в продаже товаров и услуг.

В наше время покупателям уже недостаточно просто хорошего качества за приемлемую цену. Новое время диктует новый подход. Сейчас впечатление от процесса ознакомление с продуктом, его покупкой и непосредственно пользование им уже немыслимо без получаемых впечатлений на каждом их этих этапов.

Книга поможет понять как надо преобразоваться компании для всё больших за
Barbara Ish
For people and businesses who operate in increasingly-intangible spaces like the creative and social sectors, this book is a godsend. The authors posit a class of businesses--indeed, an entire emerging economic sector--based on *experience*, which resembles services in the way services resemble goods. Obvious examples of experience-based businesses include travel, Disneyworld and its ilk, and tourist destinations. But less obvious examples abound, and considering how these theories apply to one' ...more
Stacy
Several people have made fun of me for my "light" summer reading.... From a marketing perspective, this book is very interesting, I just wish the delivery of the information was a bit more stimulating. The authors talk about the service industry, and how to truly stand out, you need to be in the experience business (a unique experience vs. your competitors) and/or the transformation business (think of "transforming" someone by helping them to lose weight or become a singer). So, if you are inter ...more
BJ
The last chapters are the best part of this provacative business/marketing book from Pine and Gilmore. The book is primarily an argument for how we as a economy have moved from deriving economic value from services to experiences, and then unto transformations. The customer is the product, and the transformation of the individual is the mission of the business. There is much insight here from an economic/ business/marketing perspective and for sociological/psychological/philosophical perspective ...more
Sara Frandina
I found the first half of this book to be satisfactorily mind-opening, while the second half dragged on in repetition of over-explained concepts. Worth the read for anyone in the business of staging experiences, though the Experience Economy is no longer 'new' by any means. Still, many good takeaways for those working to delight customers, or create the offerings that do.
Matthew Brookes
This book should be a must read for anyone that has a brand or service and needs to fight commoditisation and declining prices. It is more theoretical than directly practical but in a way that allows you to apply the concepts to a wide range of businesses. It takes its concepts a bit far towards the end trying to predict the future but still more than worth a read.
Mike
I enjoyed this book, but it very easily could have been condensed by 50%. The book is far too long, and labors endlessly establishing some of the metaphors between work and theater. This is a book worth reading, and keeping as a reference tool as many of the examples presented are very interesting, but it gets very repetitive towards the end.
Steve Dragoo
Ground-breaking ideas! Provides a vocabulary for individuals and businesses seeking to move from selling goods or delivering services to the next level of economic offering...Staging Experiences! Have almost worn out my original copy of this book--having re-read so many times. I highly and heartily recommend.
Doug Mitchell
Great book to get one thinking about the future of business. The experience economy concept makes sense especially with the level of noise in the market place today. If you aren't creating a complete experience for your customers/audience...then expect trouble as you begin descending into commodity.
Andrea
Thought this book may be a bit out-dated at this point, but absolutely not!
The author really like talking about the Geek Squat :-). Really great examples from Disney, the Rainforest Cafe, Starbucks, goods and services you use very frequently. We are all actors, don't forget it.
Eka Guledani
The main idea is very clear at the beginning and can be expressed in two phrases, the rest of the book is just blah-blah and annoying examples. Three stars because, still, the main thought of this book is strong and useful.
Abby
Although many of the examples used in this 1999 book are outdated (think Rainforest Cafe and America Online), its concepts are still very much relevant today. I have no doubt that I will keep this book in mind both as an employee and in community leadership roles.
Devin Partlow
This book goes a little further than expected. Just when you think the experience economy is the goal, wait there's more! Kinda weird that most of the book was dedicated on how to make great experiences when there's an economy even better (allegedly).
Brian Sooy
Pine and Gilmore challenge the reader to move beyond delivering goods and services, to experiences and transformation. By the last two chapters, I had found several new insights that I will implement into my own business and development process.
David Blanar
There's a lot here to appreciate and surely very thought-provoking for all businesses.
Bryan Clagett
A marketers "must read". If you have a brand that falls into the traps of a commodity, this is a worthwhile read. Somewhat fundamental, but a healthy reminder that any brand can be differentiated.
Sergei
Eye-opening, especially on the transformation services and their true value.
ACRL
Nov 05, 2012 ACRL added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: motw
Read by ACRL Member of the Week Melissa B. Bennett. Learn more about Melissa on the ACRL Insider blog.
Brett
Great for those interested in how to move their product up to an 'engagement' level. Good for for-profit and non-profit managers.
David McCleary
Pine gives an excellent framework with which to understand more thoroughly the economy in which the western world finds itself.
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Authenticity: What Consumers Really Want
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients
  • My Years with General Motors
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
  • The Republic of Tea: : The Story of the Creation of a Business, as Told Through the Personal Letters of Its Founders
  • Jump Start Your Business Brain: Scientific Ideas and Advice That Will Immediately Double Your Business Success Rate
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • Competing for the Future
  • Up the Organization: How to Stop the Corporation from Stifling People and Strangling Profits
  • The Leadership Moment: Nine True Stories of Triumph and Disaster and Their Lessons for Us All
  • The Designful Company: How to Build a Culture of Nonstop Innovation
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • Control Your Destiny or Someone Else Will
  • American Steel
  • Emotional Branding: The New Paradigm for Connecting Brands to People
Mass Customization: The New Frontier in Business Competition Infinite Possibility: Creating Customer Value on the Digital Frontier Do You Want to Keep Your Customers Forever? Shinʼyaku Keiken Keizai: Datsu Komoditika No Māketingu Senryaku Senteo.net - Beyond Products and Services in Banking

“Twelve years ago we characterized the scene as poor service, no service, or self-service. Unfortunately, little has changed. As a result, customers understandably hesitate to pay any premium. Profitability therefore suffers, wages stagnate, and workers disengage—creating a downward spiral to yet more miserable service.” 1 likes