Start by marking “The Complete Guide To Editing Your Fiction” as Want to Read:
The Complete Guide To Editing Your Fiction

The Complete Guide To Editing Your Fiction

Using an easy-to-reference format, experienced editor Michael Seidman shows writers how to approach fiction editing from three angles: macro editing, style editing and market editing. Writers will learn to reread their manuscript paying close attention to the continuity of narrative elements, such as point of view, characterization, sequencing and dialogue. After revising ...more
Paperback
Published February 15th 2002 by Writer's Digest Books (first published July 31st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Guide To Editing Your Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Guide To Editing Your Fiction

Stasa Fritz
Aug 22, 2008 Stasa Fritz rated it liked it
Recommends it for: writers, especially novels
This book is "not bad," but not great. The advice on editing is in some sense a restating of what you are told to put into your fiction in the first place. That said, through the author's own prose and through interviews with others, he gives EXAMPLES of what their fiction looked like before and after. This alone was fairly useful.

It is not a fast read and there are some parts that need ignoring, but it is a valuable piece in the arsenal of writing.
Amanda Erickson
Dec 10, 2009 Amanda Erickson rated it it was ok
While I understand why he did it, placing samples throughout the book of his short story in various stages of editing seemed a little too egotistical than helpful. Pages upon pages are devoted to JUST his story, OVER and OVER. I don't think I would have minded as much had the story been 2-4 pages long, but when it was about 40 pages long... Come on! What a waste of paper (and should I have bought it instead of borrowing it from the library, I would have said "what a waste of $").

However, after s
Rich Inman
Apr 20, 2014 Rich Inman rated it it was amazing
When I finished my first novel I thought, "Time to send this out!" I was lucky enough to be asked for three sample chapters, and was then promptly told I needed help.

I was then referred to this book, which literally changed my writing! It's a permanent addition to my library as I refuse to lend it out so that I can reference and re-read it.

If you want solid help on getting better editing your fiction, look no further!
Adrienna
Nov 28, 2010 Adrienna rated it liked it
I was struggling with one of my novels and to see how he not only condensed the story to have more meaning and action; it also shows how it was developed in dialogue, mood, flow, and so forth. I hope I can do it and blessed to have test readers now on board for these three novels that I'm not so sure about. Writers have to go through the drafts, no matter how many it takes, before sending to editor and then publisher.
Laura Gilfillan
Jun 29, 2015 Laura Gilfillan rated it really liked it
Good general advice. The author uses his own work to show the process of revision, uses other examples too. Best advice: reread your manuscript in type, where you can make notes. Also, it is more work, but by completely re-typing your manuscript you'll find other places to make changes and the work benefits. Another exercise to try is to take another author's book and edit it--an interesting method to hone your writing skills.
Carl Brookins
Jul 05, 2008 Carl Brookins rated it really liked it
Michael Seidman, once active as an editor in the crime fiction area, is a highly knowledgeable, if sometimes irascible, man. But his understanding of the reader and of the way good genre fiction should be constructed is excellent. His talent is amply demonstrated in this volume. Every author should have this on their bookshelf.
Jason
Feb 28, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've written or are thinking about writing your own fiction, I highly recommend this.
Rachel Meyer
Mar 24, 2016 Rachel Meyer rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
A helpful book I would recommend to most writers. The examples he uses are a bit long and boring but he does point out some great ideas. Gave me many things to thing about.
Eli
Eli rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2008
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2012
B.B.
B.B. rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2013
Iola
Iola rated it liked it
May 12, 2012
alan reads too much
alan reads too much rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Shirley
Shirley rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2012
Arahyacinth
Arahyacinth rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2014
Traci Bold
Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Lee
Lee rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2008
Edith
Edith rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Leann
Leann rated it liked it
May 19, 2014
Dyah Rinni
Dyah Rinni rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2008
Mary Murray
Mary Murray rated it liked it
May 15, 2010
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Mark Lacy
Mark Lacy rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2014
Aaron DeMott
Aaron DeMott rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2012
Randy Lavender
Randy Lavender rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2008
Trish
Trish rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Grá Linnaea
Grá Linnaea rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Amanda Dicicco
Amanda Dicicco rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Lynn O'Connacht
Lynn O'Connacht rated it liked it
May 15, 2013