Start by marking “Climate of Change (Geodyssey, #5)” as Want to Read:
Climate of Change (Geodyssey, #5)

Climate of Change (Geodyssey #5)

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A remarkable epic of passion and courage, savagery and survival, Piers Anthony's "Geodyssey" is a saga unlike any ever written. It is nothing less than the story of humanity itself, told through the lives of a handful of extraordinary men and women reborn throughout history.

Now, with Climate of Change, Piers Anthony introduces us to a remarkable new cast of characters. Thr
Published May 2011 by Tor Books (first published May 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Climate of Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Climate of Change

Joy
If you liked the other four Geodyssey books, you'll probably like this one too - but just as in the most recent time-delayed entry in the Incarnations series, the author is WAAAAY too obsessed with sex and shoves it into almost every page. I felt that the writing and stories suffered for that, as not a single chapter went by that sex and/or rape wasn't critical to the storyline (i.e. Man won't "rape" Woman so she won't marry him, Girl flees naked to distract bad guys, etc.). The settings weren't ...more
Craig Leimkuehler
Despite being in his 70's Mr.Anthony writes like a thirteen year old boy. Sadly a boy who is obsessed with sex. And yet he makes it dull and boring, This is a collection of stories about early man and one set in the future. He uses the same characters with names like Hero, Rebel, and Craft in each story. And in every story someone is going to have sex. Sometimes willingly, sometimes not. Frequently a d female character was forced into offering or withholding sex to get what she wanted.In his vie ...more
Dawn
Despite some stiffness and pedantry in the writing, I enjoyed the first 3 books of this series; the fourth not so much, and the fifth (this one) not at all. As others have said, there is a lot of sex and rape--too much! A lot of the sex is gratuitous, and rape is way past that. In the first chapter, rape is mentioned over 30x. I understand the concept of the captive bride, but (as I understood it) simply doing the equivalent of flinging the girl over your saddlebow was often sufficient. Crenelle ...more
Norma
I have not read a Piers Anthony since Orn which I thought was the best science fiction I had ever read. I really like Anthony when he takes an unusual point of view. In Orn it was a bird. In Climate of Change it is 2 groups of siblings who mature in different ages of earth's history. They start out in prehistory--homo erectus, homo habulus, austrolopithacine, neanderthal--through Australian aboriginals, African tribes. the first Europeans, etc. The impetus for each changes in human history is th ...more
Ruth
I'm not the biggest fan of science fiction, but I really loved this series. Saying that, I found the conculsion a little lacking although I can't quite put my finger on why. I didn't think the stories in the chapters were as fleshed out as in previous books, and I really missed the maps at the beginning of every chapter. I'm no prude (by a longshot!), but the presence of rape in so many chapters was for lack of a better word, tedious (I hate using that word to describe it, but I can't think of a ...more
Craig
I've always been a fan of this series and was glad to see Anthony finished it. The previous volume was over a decade ago and Anthony is in his late 70's now, so I found this book to be a little less entertaining than the others in the series. However, I still enjoy it and its a good conclusion to the series.
Angela
I got this in the clearance section at the book store because I was looking for a book about people faced with climate change in a history. I love historical fiction and I thought his approach of pushing the same characters through time and giving different examples of how similar situations could play out.

The thing I didn't like about this book was the excessive, obsessive sex. I like to have some sex in a story and I even agree that sex is a huge driving force in our evolution but I just thin
Barbara Loggia
Mixed feelings on this book. Author sets a group of characters in similar situations throughout history from our current thoughts of the beginnings of man to the near future. Not so much a story of the characters but more the repeated history of the human race fighting savagely for land, resources, power. Although the individuals show necessary courage and family unity, it's the repeated attackers who ultimately destroy cultures and people throughout time. A difficult truth to read but necessary ...more
D.L. Morrese
This book has an interesting and unique concept -- relate the tales of similar people in different places and in different times. Unfortunately, it did not work for me as a novel. The characters are uninteresting. The settings are poorly constructed and unbelievable. The most vivid descriptions are of the Neolithic main characters having mad evolved-monkey sex, and it doesn’t make for much of a plot. The novel became so painful to read that I skimmed the last half, but I doubt I missed much. It ...more
Emily
I loved the first 4 books in this series and was excited to find out there would be a fifth. Unfortunately, this book was absolutely terrible and Piers Anthony shouldn't have bothered. There is nothing unique about this book in the series, and I found it boring and hard to finish. Also, there is way too much sex and rape - as a previous commenter wrote, he throws it into every chapter and it only worsens the plot. I was highly disappointed.
Ann Love
I love the Geodessey series. That being said, this is the weakest of the five. I just never got as involved with the characters as in the other books and after reading the author's note, I realized why. Anthony admits that he's tying up loose ends as he gets older and that this book was one of them. It's still a good story, but it definitely suffers from a lack of the depth and scope that the first books in the series had in spades.
Meredith
The book was interesting as a collection of folk tales. Anthony drew the characters as archetypes, rather than as individuals, and so the stories presented a sort of blueprint for thought and action set against the possible cultural mores and environmental attributes of each epoch's setting. It was interesting, but I don't feel compelled to read the rest of the Geodyssey series.
Jennifer Kyrnin
Interesting premise, but it started getting tiresome after a while. And the constant discussion of rape throughout the entire book was very very disturbing. It may be a historical fact, but it was very hard to read chapter after chapter. Especially as one of the characters "wants" to be raped. Which was an even bigger struggle for me. In some ways I'm surprised I finished it.
Abby
Aug 04, 2010 Abby rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Abby by: Ruth Sosnowski
The long awaited book 5 of the Geodessey Series. Very differnt than the others- no mpas or anchor sections. It also does a bunch of switchign up of the relationships between family members instead of keeping them the same between time periods.

The author's notes make the book make more sense. Not my favortie of the series but a good conclusion.
JoAnn Jordan
This is an excellent historical novel although the way it is told is a bit strange. The same characters appear in each story in different time periods and in slightly different relationships with each other.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in an overview of history from pre-historic times to the near future.
Heather
Ugh, what was I thinking? Sci-fi is not my interest. I thought perhaps, because it covers the subject of prehistoric humanity, that I would be engaged with the plot (I guess I was expecting something like 'Clan of the Cave Bear'). It was dreary and poorly written. I abandoned it early on.
John
Interesting concept and the ancient history was compelling. The individual stories were repetitive and boring. I found my self skipping the stories and reading the beginning and end notes that explained the actual facts behind the stories.
Tina
verrrry interesting book... many stories of pretty much the same people in different time, culture and surrandings
Rachel
I loved the other books in the Geodyssey series but this was dry and very hard to get through.
Samantha Hilber
not as good as the first three, but it was nice to finally have a new book in this series.
Karen Bain
I learned much about world history.

And, that was better then the story line.

Eric
Interesting idea for the book. Several decent stories to give a sense of the history.
Lisa
Terrible! Seemingly filled with the authors rape and sexual fantasies.
Joel
strange read from Piers Anthony, but it does have a point at the end.
Rebekah
Heavy handed, but still interesting overall.
Andrew
Jan 14, 2010 Andrew marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Wanted...
Neil
Neil marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Ruthsidra
Ruthsidra marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
  • Tales From Earthsea & The Other Wind (Earthsea Cycle, #5-6)
  • Pocahontas and the Powhatan Dilemma: The American Portraits Series
  • Wolves of the Dawn
  • Rehoboth (Keepers of the Ring #4)
  • In the Shadow of the Oak King (Dragon's Heirs, #1)
  • Once a Goddess
  • We the Navigators
  • Under a Green Sky: Global Warming, the Mass Extinctions of the Past, and What They Can Tell Us About Our Future
  • The Child Queen: The Tale of Guinevere and King Arthur
  • Knitting Mochimochi: 20 Super-Cute Strange Designs for Knitted Amigurumi
  • A History of Chinese Civilization
  • Had the Queen Lived: An Alternative History of Anne Boleyn
  • Stone Age Economics
  • The Complete Pelican Shakespeare
  • Atlantis and Other Places: Stories of Alternate History
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • Call Down the Stars
  • My Theodosia

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Geodyssey (5 books)
  • Isle of Woman (Geodyssey, #1)
  • Shame of Man (Geodyssey, #2)
  • Hope of Earth (Geodyssey, #3)
  • Muse of Art (Geodyssey, #4)
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)