Drop Dead, Gorgeous! (Gorgeous, #2)

Drop Dead, Gorgeous! (Gorgeous #2)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  1,324 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Fast. Powerful. Deadly. With bitchin' highlights. Ah, weddings--every single woman's reminder that she'll probably die alone, covered in cat hair and dressed in unflattering sweatpants. And as far as bad wedding experiences go, my friend Stacy's could take the cake. 1) I'm dateless 2) I'm a bridesmaid, and 3) Someone just attempted to whack the groom in the middle of the c...more
Published December 1st 2010 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published March 2nd 2006)

Fran
IT'S SO AWFUL. The author claims in the gratingly unfunny Author's Note that you can read this book without reading the first book in the Gorgeous series (Hello, Gorgeous!), but this is a big fat lie. In the first three pages alone, there is someone named The Boss -- but someone else is called "boss." Three weddings are mentioned in one page -- one of them involves the boss, but a different one involves The Boss. Try to guess which is which! And if you happened to skip the Author's Note, you wou...more
Tricia
So I chose this book and the other 'Drop Dead Gorgeous' (note no punctuation on the other title), because I saw them both on the chick lit shelf at the library and could no resist reading two books with the same title. If I had to choose I would have picked this one over the other, which is ironic because I really enjoyed the other one (a more straightforward romance) much more.

This book had a mark against it to start with because it is the second in a series (Hello, Gorgeous!) being the first....more
Dawnie
I normally really love Mary Janice Davidson's work, but this book was just somewhat lacking. I don't know....there needs to be a little angst, little humor, etc for a good chick lit book and this just felt somewhat shallow. I was amused (spoiler) that the bad guy's lair was the Iowa State Fairgrounds, but then I got distracted again when it wasn't described like the fair really is and that threw me off again too. Oh well.
Crystal
Ok, 3.5 stars. You know those old James Bond movies? The ones where you snicker now at the thoughts of Her Majesty's Secret Service giving a crap about some organization cornering the market for monosodium glutamate (yes; that was actually a plot once)? Well, while the bad guy wasn't actually after MSG, she might as well have been. Actually, I'm not sure what nefarious scheme she was up to. Then again, like the MSG plot, it probably would have made little sense if it had been actually addressed....more
Anna's Herding Cats!
Yes, I know. I keep torturing myself with MaryJanice Davidson. I don't know what's wrong with me but I just can't seem to give her up and, well, I wanted to see how this series ended. Drop Dead, Gorgeous! actually wasn't a bad follow up to Hello, Gorgeous but having finished it I still don't really know what the point of the whole thing was other than getting everyone together by the end of the story.

That said, I enjoyed Drop Dead, Gorgeous! a lot more than the previous book mainly because the...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Although DROP DEAD, GORGEOUS! is the second in the GORGEOUS series, the author states herself that if you can't afford to help her pay her mortgage by buying the first book, HELLO, GORGEOUS!, don't despair -- this book can stand alone quite nicely.

Where in the first book we were introduced to Caitlyn, the nanobyte-filled new superhero of the O.S.I., we're now given a glimpse into the staid, steadfast life of Jennifer "Jenny" Branch. She's the secretary/receptionist/administrative assistant of M...more
Ashlie Sydel
Is this a stand alone book?? Yes a person could read this without reading the first book. I saw on other reviews that some people were confused thinking there were TWO bosses. NO if you read very carefully Jenny states that Caitlyn is her boss before referring to her as boss. AND she only does it 1-2x tops out of the entire book so I'm not sure how this confused people. But moving forward. Even though this was sold as a stand alone book as a person who did in fact read the first book it was some...more
Kathy
beppy
synopsis:
jenny is an assistant at a hairdresser shop. on the eve of a wedding, someone tries to kill the bride, and jenny catches the culprit. it turns out that kevin has been undercover for 4 years, and forgotten about, because the group that he worked for are now defunct. kevin is the son of a bumbling, yet somehow successful, crime family, and rebelled by entering law enforcement. it is decided that to forestall a terrorist attack, kevin will have to go back undercover, and take jenny with hi...more
R.G.
Although book 1, Hello Gorgeous, was awesome and hilarious... this was definitely not a good follow up... it has a new main character, Jenny, and she's just not as intriguing... in fact she was a little depressing... but it's not just her... it's really just the whole plot line... none of it really makes sense... and I mean even for a crazy romance novel that this is... it seriously doesn't make sense for any of it to go down like it did... and it was up and over before it barely even got starte...more
Tracy
Let me start by saying that I loved MaryJanice Davidson's Undead series! They were hilarious and I really got into the story. That being said, I thought that Davidson would carry that on to the Gorgeous books but that isn't the case. There was definitely the humor that MaryJanice has with her cute little retorts but this book made me feel like I was going all over the place.

One minute it was being told by Jenny and the next by Kevin, which is in itself not a bad thing but I couldn't keep up when...more
Gretchen Schott
Bummed. I read the first book in the series last summer and thought this might be quirky funny too. It wasn't. It was a campy love story trying to be part Alias TV show, part Charlie's Angels, part James Bond. Not what I was expecting. I do appreciate the authors quick wit and humor but the story was a little flat and silly for me.
Kay
Maybe it's because I didn't read the first book in the series, and maybe it's because I read some classical literature before I picked up this book, but the choppiness, the lack of character development, the loosely woven plot line, and references to sci-fi attributes (which I normally like) that weren't explained thoroughly or clearly enough were enough to make me dislike this book. I feel like the author was either tired or in a rush to get this one out and didn't give it enough time to actual...more
I just couldn't get into this book. Maybe because it's book 2 in the series but I didn't like Caitlyn, didn't like The Boss, didn't like the couple who were supposed to be the lead characters in this book. The whole thing seemed too far out there for me. It was an all over the damned place, confusing mess! I say it's unfinished, but I do know how it ends, purely because about halfway through I couldn't take it anymore and skipped to the end! Thank goodness it was a library book!

I used to love th...more
Car
Overall, I enjoyed the book and the excitement of the spy plot.
The author said this was not a continuation of Hello, Gorgeous!, but I feel it's better that I had already read Hello, Gorgeous! before reading Drop Dead, Gorgeous!.
I was glad that even though the main characters were not Dmitri and Caitlyn, they were still a part of the story. However, I didn't like the way the author portrayed their relationship in this book, like they don't really get along. I guess that could just be Jennifer'...more
Kelly
This is the second in a series, but Davidson is quick to point out that it stands alone. Since I haven't read the first book, I took Davidson at her word. It's true that it isn't necessary, but it sure would come in handy with names, etc. I found this one of the most disjointed, confusing stories I've ever read. The whole story was pointless and simplistic. I definitely won't be looking for others in this series. I'm hoping that the other Davidson books on my TBR stack don't follow this trend.
ht...more
Meaghan
the first one in this series was better but i enjoyed the story very much. ms. davidson never disappoints!
Kellie
A quick, fun read, as expected from MJD. However, I was disappointed that this story wasn't about Caitlyn - it's much more interesting to read about her and her "bionic" adventures.

I thought there would be more about Jenny helping Kevin. That whole storyline was a bit of a dud. It was just too neat for my taste.

I hope the next Gorgeous book goes back to Caitlyn. This is comparable to having an Undead book from Jessica's point-of-view instead of Betsy's!
Jenn
This book was fun, but not a slam dunk like MJ's other books. I spent a lot of time reading and thinking "ooooooook, sure, why not?". A salon receptionist who's gorgeous AND a genius. Sure, why not? Oh, and she picked up her mother's skill for professional cake decorating? Oooook. Um, AND she knows 2 different kinds of martial arts and can disarm a trained assasin? Le' sigh.
I love me some MJ, but it was only her snarky wit that kept me reading.
Diana
At Stacy and the Boss's wedding, someone tries to kill them. Jenny, the mild-mannered assistant at Caitlyn's salon finds the shooter: Kevin Stone, an undercover ops agent. They team up to take down a nest of bad guys.

A disappointment after the previous book. Jenny is an interesting heroine, but Kevin is too eccentric and "southern" to enjoy. The whole plot meanders and doesn't really gel together.
Diane ~Firefly~
Nice follow-up to Hello, Gorgeous! This time Caitlyn's receptionist, Jenny, takes the lead as she helps catch the guy who interrupted the wedding and agrees to go undercover to find out some more information. If you're in the mood for quick, fun and fluffy this book will hit the spot. My favorite part is still all the interesting things Caitlyn threatens The Boss with.
Julie
I was stunned when I realized that this was written by the same author that wrote the Undead and Unwed series. This was such a boring waste time and paper. There was no action unless you count that the plot was written for sex scenes. There was no meat to grab a hold of. Hell...one of the main characters nibbled on sporks like french fries. What is that?
Monica s
This book was really different from the first one in the duo/series. I was kind of disappointment in that aspect. However I still love MaryJanice Davidson's writing style. Also the characters were really relability. Also Jenny Branch turned before the readers' eyes into a strong, independent and powerful woman to be reckoned with. Love her.
Megan
I tried. I really did try. I love the Undead series and was pretty excited to see another. I forced myself through the first 6 chapters, and kept getting confused. I couldn't really tell who was who, and maybe it's because I didn't read the first... I don't know. My brain candy shouldn't be difficult. Good thing it was a library book.
Paige
This book is a combination of James Bond, Get Smart, and the Bionic Woman/Bionic Man. As usual, it is written with the wit and humor of Mary Janice Davidson but I found myself not enjoying it as much.

The character were less developed than her typical characters. This felt more like a short story than a book.
Rhonda
I did like this book but I found I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had read the first book in the series first. MaryJanice does state at the beginning that the books do not need to be read in order but I found it would have helped me to get into the story a bit faster if I had read the previous book.
Jp
A weaker sequel to the fun ride in the previous MaryJanice Davidson Gorgeous series. For me the weakness was mostly due to the fact that the characters that I really liked from the first book hand ancillary roles in this book.
Amber
I am slowly working my way through MaryJanice Davidsons other series - and not disappointed! Love this series spin off! She does it again with laugh out loud dialogue and ridiculous situations for the heroine and her man. Will keep working my way through the rest of her huge catalogue!!!
Andrea
I didn't really care for this one. The plot was rushed and the whole danger thing was honestly a huge let down. The leads were flat and so I had to make myself finish this book so I could give an honest review after reading it. I will not be picking up any more of this series.
agh skip it 1 8 Nov 06, 2008 04:02PM
  • Bewitched, Bothered & Bevampyred 2: Fangs Again
  • Secrets: Volume 6 (Secrets Volume, #6; Wyndham Werwolf, #1)
  • Men at Work
  • Bad Boys With Expensive Toys
  • Blow Me Down
  • Kick Ass (Warlord, #2)
  • Merry Christmas, Baby
  • Mysteria Nights (Mysteria)
  • Perfect For The Beach
  • My Favorite Witch (Accidental Witch Trilogy, #2)
  • Plum Boxed Set 2 (Stephanie Plum, #4-6)
  • Wild Jinx (Cajun, #7)
  • Bubbles All The Way (Bubbles Yablonsky, #6)
  • Like a Charm
  • Dead If I Do (Garnet Lacey, #4)
MaryJanice Davidson is an American author who writes mostly paranormal romance, but also young adult and non-fiction. She is the creator of the popular Undead series. She is both a New York Times and USA Today bestseller. She won a 2004 Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Award and was nominated for the same award in 2005.

MaryJanice's Facebook page:

More about MaryJanice Davidson...
Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) Undead and Unemployed (Undead, #2) Undead and Unreturnable (Undead, #4) Undead and Unappreciated (Undead, #3) Undead and Unpopular (Undead, #5)