Start by marking “Studs Terkel's Working: A Graphic Adaptation: A Graphic Adaptation” as Want to Read:
Studs Terkel's Working: A Graphic Adaptation: A Graphic Adaptation

Studs Terkel's Working: A Graphic Adaptation: A Graphic Adaptation

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  255 ratings  ·  32 reviews
In the thirty-five years since Pulitzer Prize?winner Studs TerkelOCOs " Working " first documented American workersOCO hopes and dreams, that ?deep penetration of American thought and feelingOCO ("Los Angeles Times") has sold over a million copies, captivating readers with accounts of how their fellow citizens make a living.
A masterpiece of words, " Working " is now adapt...more
Published April 28th 2009 by Perseus Books Group

To ask other readers questions about Studs Terkel's Working, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Studs Terkel's Working

Sophie
I NEED to read the original.

The style of life I myself am familiar with is the quotidian. -Harvey Pekar

In others, you see a rhythmic smoothing out of the hand down the chair arm, as though to smooth everything out and make it workable; in others, there is a working of the lips or a steady rocking. None of these could be called neurotic gestures, nor are they symptoms of acute fear; they help the constant calculation. -Richard Hoggart

At the public unveiling of a celebrated statue in Chicago, a la...more
Zachary
"But every once in awhile there's stuff that comes in on you. All of a sudden something falls into place. Suppose you're driving an eight-penny galvanized finishing nail into this siding. Your whole universe is rolled onto the head of that nail. Each lick is sufficient to justify your life. You say, "Okay, I'm not trying to get this nail out of the way so I can get onto something important. There's nothing more important. It's right there." And goes -- pow! It's not getting that nail in that's i...more
Kris
"I think most of us are looking for a calling, not a job. Most of us, like the assembly-line worker, have jobs that are too small for our spirit. Jobs are not big enough for people." (p. xxi, from the original introduction to Studs Terkel's "Working" (1974))

"This book, being about work, is by its very nature, about violence - to the spirit as well as to the body. It is about ulcers as well as accidents, about shouting matches as well as fistfights, about nervous breakdowns as well as kicking the...more
Ocean
BRILLIANT. these stories (most of them, anyway) lend themselves perfectly to the graphic novel format. most of these are really well-rendered, moving, smart and enraging (in a good way). this book helped me get over the guilt i feel for not being a 9-to-5 office person (despite the fact that i am currently, miserably, locked into a 9-to-5 job).
Thom Foolery
From the original introduction to Studs Terkel's Working:

Perhaps it is time the "work ethic" was redefined and its idea reclaimed from the banal men who invoke it. In a world of cybernetics, of an almost runaway technology, things are increasingly making things. It is for our species, it would seem, to go on to other matters. Human matters. Freud put it one way, Ralph Helstein puts it another. He is president emeritus of the United Packinghouse Workers of America. "Learning is work. Caring for c
Kristen Mcchesney
While this is not a classic young adult book, within the graphic novel genre, this adaption of Studs Terkel's oral history "Working" would be a wonderful classroon resource. I have used a number of Terkel's oral histories in my classroom, in order to illustrate the historical lives of average Americans and as a general primary source. Students relly connect with the stories of peoples lives and it gives them a true persepctive that we all are a part of a larger history. This recent adaptation of...more
Thomas
I wasn't getting around to reading anything by Studs Terkel or Harvey Pekar, so this book was really a 2-for-1 deal. Having read this, I have an appreciation for both men.

Terkel was certainly of an era, and that era was one in which American radicals had faith that unions would improve the fortune of workers. He was also of an era in which the average American didn't have experience promoting herself on social networks or aspiring to a gig on a reality TV show. I would imagine, 40 years later, t...more
Abbey
For some reason, I've avoided reading 'Working' for some time. I think I thought 'man, I'm working all the time, why should I read a boring book about working?' However, I saw that Harvey Pekar had adapted this huge book, and I do live in Chicago, and well, the CPS teacher's strike is scheduled to occur at any day now - I figured Labor Day weekend would be the perfect occasion to give the graphic novel a try.

I cannot speak highly enough of this book. Truly powerful, amazingly inspiring, and extr...more
Viola
great adaption.

In the preface to the graphic novel, Harvey Pekar writes:

I was especially pleased to work on this project because Studs Terkel puts a great deal of emphasis, as I do, in writing about quotidian life. The so-called normal aspect of human existence is underemphasized in every form of literature, yet that is the aspect that most readers are familiar with and can most easily identify with.

The style of life I myself am familiar with is the quotidian.

But just because one writes about ev...more
Anthony

I saw Studs Terkel on the Daily Show a while back and I wanted to pick up some of his books. He's an interviewer, but he interviews everyone to try and capture the essence of the age, moment to moment. This graphic novel was pretty good. Some of the interviews didn't lend themselves to the graphic form, but the entire book was a fascinating slice of 1960s and 1970s everyday life. Terkel focused on occupations and talked to everyone he could. The neat thing was how many of these jobs are gone now...more
Jamie
Like the labor movement in the United States, the comic shop where I found this was near death. Got it on clearance while the store was going out of business.

My friends: read Studs Terkel. And Harvey Pekar.
Raina
This was fun, it was good. I wanted to like it more than I really did. I found myself wanting it to be a little more current - all the text/depictions of workers are from more than 30 years ago. Also, most of the text was more about job satisfaction/philosophy than about the technicalities of working the job, which is personally what I'd be more fascinated by. Definite pro-union slant, which is cool. I do wish there was a touch more editorializing, because there's a definite agenda but you have...more
Kirsti
Excerpts from Terkel's classic book, drawn in different styles. I was sorry to see that the two paperboys didn't make the cut. (Maybe they weren't included because there aren't many paperboys around anymore.) The waitress, Delores Dante, is included, and hers is still my favorite interview.

I liked Pekar's introduction, too. He says that writing about everyday life is the sort of writing that everyone can identify with and respond to, but it is the type of writing that gets the least attention an...more
Dave
A graphic rendition of some parts of Studs Terkel's iconic "Working." Pekar edits and adapts many bits with guest artists doing the illustration. Some artists did their own adapting for their illustrations.

Pekar mentions in the forward how he felt that both Terkel and he had an appreciation for what Pekar labels the "quotidian narrative." It is true, people just talking about their work can have an emotional impact, there are beautiful, powerful stories out there in the everyday lives of people.
Cathleen
My interest was piqued to hear of a graphic novel adaptation of Studs Terkel's Working, especially one that involved Harvey Pekar. It was worth the investment. I liked that the design styles and lettering varied among subjects, though some were so heavily weighted to text, it seemed to halt the flow. Still, a moderately successful interpretation, and one that may introduce the work to a new audience.
Amy
I give this 4 stars because I have to. It's difficult and sometimes boring, a slog at times, woefully out of date, dizzying variation from one portrayal to the next, taxing, emotionally draining, depressing.

But, it needed to be done. I think it's an important work and I'm glad it has been given new life. I'm glad Story Corps is out there and hope we never forgo the power of oral histories.
HeavyReader
In this collection, a variety of artists illustrated a variety of stories told to Studs Terkel by working people. Some stories were more interesting than others, which i guess is to be expected. The art is overall very good.

I don't know...I wasn't as thrilled with this collection as I expected to be, but I'm not sure why.
Rebekah
I liked some better than others; some of the original sketches were just more interesting than others, and then some of the adapting artists were better than others. I enjoyed "Farmworker" and "Gravedigger" the most, and will definitely be seeking out more of those two artists' work.
Tom
Loved it. This is a cartoon anthology of sorts. I read Stud's original Working when it first came out. I think it is very important to think about all the hard work that many people do, and the insight that one can derive from even the point of view of a gravedigger.
Wright
A compilation of various people talking about their jobs and occupations. Some stories were moving - telling of unfair social, physical, and financial conditions but the book as a whole had a few too many tales full of petty complaints.
Kristen
This was INCREDIBLE. I love it.
Some of the workers had great insight into the plights of their lives and others didn't. All were amazing. For some the 40 hour work week is just another form of slavery, for others it isn't.
Mister
A nice introduction to to Studs Terkel. As a graphic adaption, the pictures tend to add some character to the interviews. All in all, though, I feel like reading the actual original book, now.
Agathafrye
Jan 17, 2010 Agathafrye rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who haven't read the original "Working" by Studs Terkel, graphic novel enthusiasts
Recommended to Agathafrye by: the new book shelf at the library
Shelves: graphic-novels
An interesting and ambitious idea, and the graphic skills for a lot of these stories were really impressive, but I love Stud's "Working" so much that this one couldn't help but pale in comparison.
Tripmastermonkey
I mostly browsed this over a couple days at work. Different artists, different length stories- some seemed too short. Some of the art I didn't like. All in all, you should check it out
Ellen
I think this is a brilliant adaptation of Terkel's classic. I even was able to introduce Studs to a flight attendant because the graphics captured her attention.
Linda Cohen
I wanted to like this more but some of the stories were done better than others. Overall it was a good idea and a good introduction to lots of new artists.
Eireann
Brilliant! The different sections examining different kinds of work and workers are very interesting. The one on sex workers is really powerful.
Michael
Two of my favorite authors: Studs Terkel and Harvey Pekar.

A perfect book to adapt in graphic form.
Peacegal
This is a nicely presented graphic novel about the thing that defines, uplifts and destroys us--WORK.
Chadwick
Some great interviews, but some of the artists are strictly from hunger. Go to the source first.
  • A Dangerous Woman: The Graphic Biography of Emma Goldman
  • Wobblies! A Graphic History of the Industrial Workers of the World
  • A People's History of American Empire
  • The Lives of Sacco and Vanzetti
  • Nat Turner
  • T-Minus: The Race to the Moon
  • Economix: How and Why Our Economy Works (and Doesn't Work), in Words and Pictures
  • The United States Constitution: A Graphic Adaptation
  • Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow
  • Fallout: J. Robert Oppenheimer, Leo Szilard, and the Political Science of the Atomic Bomb
  • The Cartoon History of the Modern World Part 2: From the Bastille to Baghdad
  • Woman Rebel: The Margaret Sanger Story
  • To Teach: The Journey, in Comics
  • Alan's War: The Memories of G.I. Alan Cope
  • Stayin' Alive: The 1970s and the Last Days of the Working Class
  • The Silence of Our Friends
  • The Next Day: A Graphic Novella
  • The Book of Genesis
Harvey Lawrence Pekar was an American underground comic book writer best known for his autobiographical American Splendor series.

In 2003, the series inspired a critically acclaimed film adaptation of the same name.

More about Harvey Pekar...
American Splendor: The Life and Times of Harvey Pekar The Best American Comics 2006 The Quitter Best Of American Splendor Our Cancer Year