Start by marking “The Emperor's Wolf” as Want to Read:
The Emperor's Wolf

The Emperor's Wolf

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,441 ratings  ·  110 reviews
The echoes of a war four years' past still resounds in the minds of those who endured it. Jaden longs to search for his sister, though he is bound in the fetters of slavery. When he is given to the very man who conquered his country, he is caught up in his own hatred, yet fascinated by the mystery of his new master, the Emperor of Tranaden, who all say is demonic, without ...more
Published October 19th 2010 by Loose Id LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Emperor's Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Emperor's Wolf

Vio
Enthralling is one of the many words to describe this intense slave fic and hey I am not a fan but dammit I have to admit this was amazing and the fantasy is smoothly written, easy to follow and lures you in. Standout MC's, a beautiful blend of fierceness and tenderness which made the story so much more believable for me, a good thing too as I was expecting the worst. Jaden and Dersai sexy to the extreme their relationship builds slowly and what develops is a loving and lasting partnership. Angs ...more
MiʂħүJѻ
This is not a story about wolves, at all. Nor is this historical fiction. Fucking hot. That's what this book is. With an interesting story line to boot.

Thank you Cory for another great BR. I wouldn't have read this one without him.
Natasha
WOWWWWwwweeee! This is a sexy book!
I loved this book and devoured it in little to no time. It has an incredible main character who's tortured past places a huge part in his future.
It's amazing and sexy and well written and never boring and exciting and fun and definitely 18+ and has just enough of a paranormal element and dramatic and heartbreaking and just GREAT!
SheReadsALot
I don't think I could fully describe why this story is so great. The characters and the world that the author built makes me want to re-delve again. I read this story in HOURS, eating the words like fine cuisine. There's slavery, domination, hot m/m pairing, excellent scenes to be had. I totally recommend this story. I loved it. This is how I like my m/m stories written.
Emma Sea
JC Owens has really got the whole slave trope nailed. This one was slightly suprising: I didn't anticipate where the story went, and it made this one of my favourites of zirs.

No abuse or rape, instead a sweet, gentle slave hurt/comfort story. Tiny bit of m/F in the first chapter.
Mary
Really enjoyed this. The tension between the two characters is both heart-felt and hot and the resolution of the story is beleivable. The best books can sustain the characterization to the end and this one does that.
Beck
Oh I liked this one ... the world-building was top-notch, allowing me to submerge myself in the sights, smells and intrigues of the society depicted ... I loved the twist with the demon too ... all together is was a nice, evocative tale that I enjoyed reading ... I did find the easy loss of trust a bit WTF-ery but it was minor enough to not detract from the book as a whole ... recommended to lovers of kinky, smexy sci-fi.
Elizabetta

I liked the rough edge this had at the beginning when Jaden is harem-bound surrounded by bickering all-male harem-mates.

And then a bossypants harem bully gets in his face all tough and stuff. This could be fun.

Then Jaden’s forced to mate publicly with a woman slave. Hmmmm… missed opportunity there, shoulda been a guy.

A further damper is that Jaden is owned by a woman, no fun in that. And what’s a female mercenary is doing with a harem is anybody’s guess…

But things get righted when Jaden is re
Jenre
I've no idea why I pulled this out of the TBR pile. JC Owens writes pretty decent master/slave fantasy romances which have enough in terms of emotion but are, on the whole, quite tame in terms of the slavery aspect. In this book Jaden has been captured, separated from his young sister and forced into slavery. On a diplomatic mission, his warlord (warlady?) mistress approaches the Emperor, Dersai, and asks for access through his lands which he grants as long as Jaden will remain as his slave. As ...more
Kassa

Emperor’s Wolf is a pretty typical JC Owens book. Like Gaven, Gaven 2, and Wings, this story takes place in a fantasy world that resembles ancient civilizations. Similar to ancient Greece or Rome mixed with some modern technology, the fantasy world revolves around fighting and a healthy dose of BDSM. The slave is not so much submissive as an intelligent, articulate, active man placed in slavery due to circumstance. Emperor’s Wolf doesn’t deviate from this format much but the story is s
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
One of the reasons I love J.C. Owen’s books so much is because she writes about all the stuff I love to read about: Master/slave relationships that turn into more, forced slavery, fantasy stories, mates and royalty with just a dash of cruelty/abuse and a happy ending.

The Emperor’s Wolf has all of those and coupled with the way J.C. can drag you into the story made this an instant must read to me. Add into it a possessive, cruel alpha that has a soft side and I just fell in love with this book.

F
Cory
I loved Dersai and Jaden. I will say that the title was somewhat misleading because I thought there was a shifter aspect to the book, but....not so much. But still, I really, really loved it!

So I'm a total sucker for the following:

*Person is wronged and thrown into the clutches of someone 'evil'
*Person wronged wants to hate 'evil' person with all of his heart
*'Evil' person turns out to be not so 'evil' and person wronged, much to his disliking, starts falling for 'evil' person

This formula is som
vLadimiR

The world building and the way society was formed in this story was quite impressive. The functions of males and females on this world was also intriguing.

Although I like reading some hot man-on-man action as much as the next person, it wouldn't have hurt to tone it down just a tad (that's just me of course). The best element of the story for me was the mystery of the curse behind the royal family of Tranaden.

Good story overall
Nile Princess
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
It took me about two thirds of the way through this read to realize why it just wasn’t working for me: it felt the same as when I try to watch a fluffy romance movie, which is… fluff. Let me get more specific and maybe work through this, for myself and for you if you’re deciding whether or not to read this book.

There are repetitive passages, the main character Jaden continuously asking himself the same questions, pondering the same wonderings. If he couldn’t figure it out, we weren’t going to
Sunny
3.5 rounded down because of the misunderstanding and the rushed ending. Also, not sure how we went from a promising slave fic to the fluff piece we ended up with. I liked both parts, but maybe not together. Other than that, I enjoyed this story, and would read it again :)
Xing
Great sex. Though I was expecting something nitty, gritty and dark. The story ended up being a bit too sappy and lovey dovey. And the misunderstanding in the end caused some serious eye rolling.
Nicole
*sigh*.

I won't go into plot--I never do, since I'm never the first to read and review a book.

I wasn't disappointed in this book, since I wasn't expecting much, but it was just okay to me. My opinion of it may have suffered because the other slave book I read simultaneously was just so much better, but here goes my list.

The story was okay. Not original, but not overplayed for me yet. The downfall, for me, was the writing. The proofing was surprisingly good for the genre--it wasn't full of missp
Shira Anthony
Good lord, just thinking about this story gets me all hot and bothered! Yeah, I know, it's one of MANY slash fics with a captive protagonist falling in love with his captor, but this was better than just about any others I've read. So incredibly hot, angsty and wonderful - like that molten chocolate cake covered with chocolate sauce and...yummy! Deep? Well, maybe at times, but I didn't care one bit if it wasn't!

MILD SPOILERS FOLLOW: (view spoiler)
Feliz
Jaden, a former soldier and prisoner of war, has been a slave in the harem of a wealthy woman for four years, his fighting spirit almost tortured out of him by his cruel mistress. The only thing that keeps him going is his determination to find a way to free his little sister who was captured together with him but torn from his side on the slave market. Jaden makes it through humiliation and disgust by taking his pride in his emotionlessness. But when Dersai, Emperor of Trenaden, claims Jaden as ...more
Wren
This book had a lot of potential, and I do love me some capture/slavery biz. It was a lovely story, and maybe that's the problem, as when it started out I expected more grit.

The progression of Jaden from slave to partner was slow and sweet, and his angst at ending up on the side of the "enemy" was appropriate. The resolution was broadcast well ahead of time, though, and carried out through the Big Misunderstanding, which I'm not fond of.

I had one pop-me-out-of-the-story moment where a characte
Paisley
I really liked this story - I highly recommend reading the short, free prequel to it on JC Owens' website. It is a section from the beginning of the book that was edited out and gives a bit more depth to the story.

I like smutty tales of capture, love and destiny - they are one of my guilty pleasures in reading. I also enjoy tales that are a bit sappy and sweet too. This one has both in it. It has all the elements of a slave story but with a much better HEA than I have read in many of them - whic
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
No it wasn't exactly anything new or original, but hey, it worked for me. I thought it was very sweet and sexy, and the whole prisoner/master shit was done very well.

I found the whole harem thing very brutal at the beginning, and how he had to fuck someone in front of everyone to put on a show for his master (his previous master, not the emperor). It was a wonderful contrast to how he was treated with the emperor.

Very enjoyable! Recommended to all those who enjoy this genre :)
Lee
The Emperor's Wolf is a love story. Granted, it's action filled, full of war and death, and mind-melting sex, but it's still a love story. And there's nothing wrong with that. I like love stories as long as they don't involve Ryan O'Neal and Ali MacGraw. Anyway, this is a good book and I got caught up in the characters and I was pulling for them overcome their obstacles and get to that HEA.

I give The Emperor's Wolf four stars.

Dreamer
Started well, plot got silly towards the end, found myself skimming. Felt like it should be historical fiction but then electronic war machines were introduced - odd.
'Then Dersai drew Jaden down and kissed him tenderly. The kiss was... more somehow. Jaden closed his eyes, brought his hand up to stroke his master's cheek, and drank in the taste that was Dersai.'
Vivian Archer
Interesting premise, but a few things distracted from the telling. The use of misunderstandings and speedy wrap up lessened the appeal of this slave/emperor love story.
Phaney
2012 Review:

Hah! I really should start at the beginning here.

I checked on the author’s website before deciding on which of her books to try. It turns out she has an affinity for fantasy/medieval style settings and what is so smoothly termed “doubtful consent”. Well, that is better than non-consensual, although I admit I was doubtful as to the difference it would make in application.

In this case? Well, the whole slave position muddies the issue a bit. If your body is not your own, it becomes diff
Dee Wy
As a soldier, Jaden is defeated in battle and witness to Dersai, Emperor of Tranaden, killing Jaden's fellow soldier with a single bare hand around his throat and his black eyes glittering with evil.

Shortly after, Jaden is taken along with his 6 year-old sister to a slave auction where they are sold to different households. After years of abusive treatment by his mistress, Jaden suddenly finds himself owned by the feared enemy that ruined his life. Fear and hatred consume him and he looks for ev
Wendy Ann
This one hit just a few (okay…, many:) hot buttons and I’d gladly read it all over again! I admit, I’m a bit of a fan for the slave/captive storyline. I really loved the progression of the relationship between Jaden and Dersai and how they ultimately helped one another. For one, it was in overcoming the years of pain and degradation to become a man again, and for the other, it was in overcoming a demon determined to destroy his very essence. The fact that the intimate scenes between them were sc ...more
  • Concubine
  • Dark Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #1)
  • Spoils of War (Spoils of War, #1)
  • Bloodraven
  • 'Til Kingdom Come
  • The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)
  • Out of the Woods (Tarin's World, #1)
  • Anchored (Belonging, #1)
  • Cethe
  • True of Heart (The Draegan Lords, #1)
  • Tribute
  • The Vanguard
  • By Chance Met (Chronicles of Ylandre, #3)
  • Shattered Heart
  • At His Throat, A Promise
  • An Uncommon Whore (An Uncommon Whore #1)
  • A Thread of Deepest Black
  • Snowflakes and Embers
Also known as J.C. McGuire.

J.C Owens lives in small town, rural Alberta and is a self confessed writing-a-holic. In the absence of help for this affliction…

I do indeed love to write and have over twenty books sitting idle in my computer, waiting… I love the genre of male/male stories and conflict in what a person thinks they want, versus what they truly need to become themselves. I think any writi
More about J.C. Owens...
Gaven (Gaven, #1) The Bonding (Gaven, #2) Wings (Wings, #1) Draconian Measures (Gaven, #3) Taken (Taken #1)

“They had kissed so often in lust, in passion, but never like this.
This felt like a renewal, a pledge… A beginning.”
2 likes