Invincible Warrior

Invincible Warrior

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Invincible Warrior tells the fascinating story of the life of Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969), whose quest for the true meaning of warriorship lead to the creation of the martial art called Aikido, "The Art of Peace." Ueshiba—whose name means "abundant peace"—is considered by many to be one of the greatest martial artists who ever lived. His documented ability to disarm any a...more
Published February 16th 1999 by Shambhala (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Invincible Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invincible Warrior

Brian
Meh.

I've read a couple biographies of O'Sensei now and I'm always left feeling very unfulfilled. I guess what I want to know is the HOW: how did he take his training in various other, older martial arts--jujitsu, sword and swear fighting, etc.--and form the art known as aikido?

My instructor tells me that I'm kind of thinking about it all wrong. Westerners generally expect that since Ueshiba was the "inventor" of aikido it was a finished product which he taught and gave the world. It's really not...more
Matt
I've read several books on Aikido, and each inevitably has some of the notable O'Sensei stories peppered into the introduction at least. I enjoyed this biography as it fills in many of the details surrounding those stories: the nearly quixotic adventure through politically tense China/Mongolia, duels with a who's who list of martial artists of the dynamic time he lived in, and his relationships with several influential personalities such as Deguchi and Takeda. I have short patience for works tha...more
Leif
A biography that's 2/3 pictures starts me off in the skeptic camp. The merit of the book lies in its subject, a fascinating person who inadvertently started a school of martial arts and lived enlightened in the modern era. The myth behind Ueshiba's life is presented here, perhaps braided with fact, being written by a Buddhist scholar and published by Shambhala. All the same, I really wish that I'd been able to see the man himself; he sounds amazing.
Ed Nemo
John Stevens, who I must admit has written many great Aikido books, outdoes himself with this book. With a feeling of actual fondness, Stevens seems to capture Founder Morihei's human side without in any way diminishing his almost supernatural presence. This is a must read for any follower of the art.
I didn't like the layout of the book, how it was divied into chapters, and that all the pictures were at the end. It was informative I just think it could have been displayed and organized in a better way.
Nicholas Hunter
The definitive biography of the founder of Aikido.
David
Mar 09, 2007 David rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aikidoa
This is the best book on O'Sensei.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Shmulik Hershkoviz
Shmulik Hershkoviz marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Jared
Jared marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
David LeDoux
David LeDoux marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Stefan
Stefan marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Matej Ošlaj
Matej Ošlaj marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Casey Olsen
Casey Olsen marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
Chantal
Chantal marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2013
Preston
Preston marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2012
More about John Stevens...
One Robe, One Bowl: The Zen Poetry of Ryokan The Essence of Aikido: Spiritual Teachings of Morihei Ueshiba The Art of Peace Aikido: The Way of Harmony Zen Bow, Zen Arrow: The Life and Teachings of Awa Kenzo, the Archery Master from "Zen in the Art of Archery"