Start by marking “Edible Wild Plants (The Wild Food Adventure)” as Want to Read:
Edible Wild Plants (The Wild Food Adventure)

Edible Wild Plants (The Wild Food Adventure)

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  304 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews

Edible Wild Plants is a pictorial guide to edible plants that transports the reader into a world of new food possibilities. This is a genuinely useful new tool for the modern day forager, gardener, and food preparer. With today's needs and sensibilities in mind, this book reveals what wild foods are all about, showing dramatic evidence of their potential for use, and descr

Published (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Edible Wild Plants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edible Wild Plants

Lisa Vegan
Jul 23, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who have interest in wild foods & who have gardens or want to forage
Recommended to Lisa by: Melody
This book probably deserves 5 stars. Anyone who has access to outdoor area(s) with weeds, knows botany or has the patience to bring this book during foraging expeditions, those who have an interest in eating wild greens, those especially interested in edible wild plants, for all the above, I consider this a 5 star book.

The author is well educated and knows his stuff. He’s incredibly engaging. He hunts for and eats wild foods and gives all the information needed for others to do the same. He’s v
Leonard Mokos
May 22, 2016 Leonard Mokos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why hike your local woods when you can eat them too? Om nom nom...
Katrina Morris
Jul 12, 2016 Katrina Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is SO informative and unlike many plant guides, it has excellent, clear pictures of the plants in various stages and seasons. I bought the book directly from the author after a wild edibles hike that he guided. He's very hands on and experience-oriented which I think is one reason the book is so informative. If you pay attention, you will never mistake a plant.
Ginny Messina
I went to grad school with John and have tasted many of his wild food concoctions over the years. I'm not surprised that he wrote such an excellent book on this subject. It's a great starter guide--beautiful photos and extensive info about a small selection of easily-found wild foods. You'll find most of them in your back yard.
Melody
Jul 01, 2010 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melody by: Ginny Messina
Oh, this is splendid! It has photos of many variations of leaves for each plant, and lots of interesting digressions on each sort of plant. This is the book you want to have in your library after the war. Or after peak oil. Or after the government collapses. Pick your dystopia, but buy this book first.

Well-photographed, well-explained, well-written- this is one for the permanent collection.
Slugs Youth
Jun 07, 2012 Slugs Youth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book recently appeared on my household’s field guide shelf, much to my excitement. I’m always interested in learning a bit more about wild edibles, and this book is hands down the best and most practical field guide to wild foods I’ve found.

John Kallas grew up in a suburban neighbourhood where he spent much of his time practicing his outdoor skills and eating whatever wild foods he could find. In college, he pursued a science degree while taking courses in wilderness survival, nutrition and
Carrie Elsass
Feb 19, 2012 Carrie Elsass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an incredible resource for for those who want to make use of commonly found wild greens. The photos and descriptions are the best I've seen for identification purposes, and the author also discusses nutritional content when known. In addition, he gives excellent tips on preparation and even includes recipes. It is so comprehensive in terms of information on each plant, however, that relatively few greens are covered. I hope Dr. Kallas will add more in this series in the future, cove ...more
Coen
May 21, 2012 Coen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I took a wild edible 3 hour workshop at Mt Tabor a few days ago. John Kallas, Ph.D. was the instructor. I instantly fell in love with his teaching. He has a very honest and true aura surrounding him. After the workshop I instantly bought his book. I am LOVING it so far. Finally, a very thorough wild edible book with amazing photos. Now this is a guide worth purchasing. Visit him at http://wildfoodadventures.com/.
Jasmine
Beautiful, accessible book.
Plenty of pictures to help in identifying, and lots of recipe ideas that will help you on your creative-cooking way.
This book changed the way I look at the "weeds" around me. If Viggo would have had this book, he would not have had such a hard time of it on The Road.
Jessica
Apr 02, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very descriptive and thorough. He only covered greens, but he writes that he intends to do a series. The only foraging book I have found that I think I would be completely comfortable taking with me in the wilderness and identifying a food to eat. So detailed.
Marc
Apr 04, 2015 Marc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: outdoor, wildpflanzen
Endlich ein Buch, dass es richtig macht. John Kallas beschränkt sich auf "nur" 15 Pflanzen, aber er macht alles richtig. Er beschreibt die Pflanze über den kompletten Lebenszyklus und nur so kann eine erfolgreiche Bestimmung passieren. Die Bücher, die ich bisher gelesen habe (und das sind einige) bestimmen die Pflanze über die Blüte. Das ist auch am einfachsten, aber eine Pflanze blüht nur kurz und dann meistens in einem Alter, bei dem sich das Sammeln fast nicht mehr lohnt. Die junge Pflanze is ...more
William
Aug 09, 2014 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With 18 variety's of edible wild weeds that grow in all but the harshest areas of the continental US, this book is the most detailed of any to precede it (that I've ever seen).

John gives easy to understand descriptions (as well as high quality color photos) of the different stages of plant growth along with times to harvest for best edibility and the choicest parts to gather. The same detail is given for plants that resemble the target species so you can be sure you are picking the right plant.
Cary Kostka
Dec 04, 2013 Cary Kostka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: natural-living
This is the most detailed book on plant foraging that I have seen to date. He limits his focus to a certain number of plants instead of trying to give tidbits on everything out there. It is very well organized. The photos and their accompanying descriptions, combined with his use of nonscientific language and easy to understand explanations, makes this the perfect book to start with for any wild plant enthusiast.

The recipes provided are delicious and easy to make. He doesn't try to be the "be a
Chris devine
Jul 11, 2016 Chris devine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for anyone starting out with wild food.It focuses on a few of the most common plants and has multiple pictures of each stage of growth, making identification really easy.Would highly recommend.
Momski
Feb 04, 2014 Momski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Looks like the most useful wild edible food book I've seen. Really thorough. Of all the wild edible food books I've checked out from the library, this is the one I want to buy.
Katie
Oct 09, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Kallas has created an extremely useful reference book of edible wild plants. His book contains excellent descriptions as well as ample pictures to identify the edible plants. When look-alike plants exist he spends quite a few pages documenting the differences so you can distinguish between them. He also provides information about all stages of the plant's life cycle as well as edible uses for all parts of the plants. After reading this book I have actually discovered some of these edibles in my ...more
Jan 17, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book covers a few very common edible plants in detail. I know almost all of these plants, but I didn't know they were good to eat. I'm looking forward to spring. I really appreciate Kallas' attitude towards wild food adventuring and his concern that adventurers should be able to feed their harvests to friends without ridicule. I also appreciate that he admits to not knowing everything, and he provides insights into the sources of popular misconceptions. The book could have benefited from cl ...more
Emily Mellow
Sep 30, 2012 Emily Mellow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plants
I absolutely love this book. It's supposed to be the first in a series of books that go in-depth about edible wild plants. John Kallas devotes a chapter to each plant, and each chapter is filled with gorgeous full color photographs of the plants at every stage, along with recipes and interesting facts. You can't help but feel comfortable & confident eating wild plants after reading this one. His writing is insightful and entertaining. I only wish he covered more plants, and can't wait for th ...more
Christine
Sep 11, 2014 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, nature
I liked this book because the author, instead of listing every edible plant going, concentrated on a fwe widely available,common plants and went into detail about how to use various parts of the plant. The reporting on each plant was extremely thorough, and included poisonous look-alikes where this was relevant. The book was copiously illustrated with photographs, and hints about how to harvest and enjoy eating them. A useful guide for anyone who wants to partake of the bounty of the wild.
Dennis Ross
Sep 01, 2012 Dennis Ross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a lot of books edible wild plants. I think this is one of the better guides as it gives an understanding of why some wild plants are edible.
Yolanda
Jun 19, 2015 Yolanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am truly enjoying this book. Dr. Kallas' descriptions are thorough on identification, harvesting and using wild plants for food.
Sigo Paolini
Dec 20, 2013 Sigo Paolini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a good book and I found it helpful. I got it on epub because I want it on hand in the field.
Sally
Will have to look at this again when the snow begins to melt...
Grace Pokela
Grace Pokela marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
PJ Brackett
PJ Brackett marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Spicibear
Spicibear marked it as to-read
JMcQ
JMcQ rated it really liked it
Arthur E. Aguilar
Arthur E. Aguilar rated it really liked it
  • Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • Tom Brown's Guide to Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • Hunt, Gather, Cook: Finding the Forgotten Feast
  • A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and Central North America
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Edible Landscaping
  • All That the Rain Promises and More: A Hip Pocket Guide to Western Mushrooms
  • The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables
  • Backyard Foraging: 65 Familiar Plants You Didn't Know You Could Eat
  • Stalking the Healthful Herbs
  • The Encyclopedia of Country Living
  • Edible and Medicinal Plants of the West
  • Homegrown Herbs: Gardening Techniques, Recipes, and Remedies for Growing and Using 101 Herbs
  • Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation