Start by marking “Tales from a Free-Range Childhood” as Want to Read:
Tales from a Free-Range Childhood

Tales from a Free-Range Childhood

"To hear Donald Davis tell these stories is a delight. To read these stories is an adventure. You are transported not only to his childhood but to yours as well. Each story sparks memories. Donald is a master of finding the story and humor in everyday life and taking you along for a joyful ride."David Holt, four-time Grammy Award-winning storyteller and musician"
In his fir
Published March 1st 2011 by John F. Blair, Publisher (first published February 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Tales from a Free-Range Childhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales from a Free-Range Childhood

Sandra
Apr 20, 2014 Sandra rated it liked it
Davis is a retired Methodist minister who now hits the road as a storyteller. The book is about his years growing up in North Carolina. His storytelling voice is evident throughout the book and in the yarns he spins - be it as a second grader who fears his teacher's "electric" paddle (upperclassmen told of a victim melting through the floor after being paddled by it) or a haircut deliberately gone awry on a little brother (picture a 5-year-old looking like Friar Tuck). A humorous read that harke ...more
Peg
Oct 18, 2014 Peg rated it really liked it
One of the best humorists alive in NC today. Had the pleasure of listening to this former minister at The NC Storytelling Festival
Angela
Dec 30, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Recommended as light reading for thoughtful readers and anyone interested in the art and craft of storytelling.
Jul 08, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-a-day-2011
After savoring hearing Donald Davis tell his stories on the island of Ocracoke on the 4th of July, I was delighted to discover his new book. While reading of his old fashioned mischievous escapades, I heard his distinct voice in my head. Wonderful tales of family and friends in a time when children and more freedom in some ways yet less in others. My favorite story was about Donald visiting the orthodontist in Asheville and missing his bus home on purpose to give himself the freedom to explore. ...more
Linda
Aug 10, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
I give this book a solid 5 stars. It made me laugh out loud in several places and it reads just like the author is sitting in the room with you telling the story. Oh, to have those simplier times back! I could relate to the stories about the author, Donald, and his brother, Joe growing up in Waynesville, NC. Love all the tricks Donald innocently (and not so innocently) played on Joe and his cousins. My 11 year old daughter read it too and she also enjoyed it. Keep up the stories, Donald Davis!
David Ward
Tales From a Free-Range Childhood by Donald Davis (John F. Blair 2011) (Biography). Donald Davis writes brilliantly of a Southern small town or rural childhood in the 1940's and 1950's. He's a fantastic storyteller; these are collected tales that he has been presenting verbally for thirty years or more. The pick of the lot is a story of a Valentine's Day celebration at his elementary school called “Something Up Her Sleeve.” This is good stuff! My rating: 7.5/10, finished 12/18/14.
Allison
Jul 30, 2011 Allison rated it it was amazing
My perspective on this is a little different because the author is my Dad's first cousin and I am related to everyone mentioned in the stories. However, it's a great book and readers not familiar with the actual people in the stories will love it!
Stephanie
Oct 01, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I think I need to own this book. The only thing that would be better is listening to Donald Davis tell the stories. He has an amazing ability. Many of the stories remind me of stories from my own family. I loved it!
Mary
Oct 24, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
A really easy read and very funny, too! These stories go back in time when life was different, to say the least! I thoroughly loved these precious stories of times long ago!
Ginny
Jun 03, 2012 Ginny rated it really liked it
I laughed outloud many times while reading this book. I'd love to hear Davis tell his stories in person.
Dan Griffiths
Mar 01, 2013 Dan Griffiths is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dan by: Donald Davis
Love to listen to Dr. Rev. Davis tell stories.
Laurie Long
Jul 19, 2011 Laurie Long rated it really liked it
Delightful storyteller.
cheryl
cheryl marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Jstephen
Jstephen rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
Timothy
Timothy rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Pessick
Pessick rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Pstansel
Pstansel marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Gigi
Gigi marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Peggy
Peggy rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Timothy Johnson
Timothy Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Dennis
Dennis rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Nancy Brown
Nancy Brown marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Tara Clayburn
Tara Clayburn rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The way it was! 1 2 Jul 15, 2011 01:25PM

Donald Davis (born 1944) is an American storyteller, author and minister. Davis had a twenty year career as a minister before he became a professional storyteller. He has recorded over 25 storytelling albums and written several books based on those stories. His long career a
More about Donald Davis...