Start by marking “Bigfoot Cinderrrrrella” as Want to Read:
Bigfoot Cinderrrrrella

Bigfoot Cinderrrrrella

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  36 reviews
In the old growth forest, a dashing Bigfoot prince searches for his Bigfoot princess. Rrrrrella, who also lives in the forest, would be a perfect match. But can she get past her ugly stepsisters to win the prince's heart? Full-color illustrations.
Published October 23rd 2000 by Puffin (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Bigfoot Cinderrrrrella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bigfoot Cinderrrrrella

Kacie Blakley
Most stories that are about Cinderella do not entice boys. Bigfoot Cinderrrrrella could definitely do the job of reeling young boys into a princess-based story. The whole story is basically the same background as Cinderella; the main difference is that the characters are bigfoots and bears. Instead of attending a ball, the prince holds a "fun-fest" for everyone in the forest to participate in. The first female bigfoot to roll the prince off a log and into the river would become his wife. So who ...more
Ashley Sites
I thought that this story was a very cute, fractured, retelling of Cinderella. Just the fact of this story featuring sasquatches was hilarious to me. I thought that it was cute that the prince had a challenge for all of the female sasquatches (to knock the prince into the water from off of a rolling log) I kind of thought that cinderrrrrella was cheating because she wore those fancy wooden sandals with the nice tread on the bottom...anyway, I also thought that it was fun how the sasquatches had ...more
Mary
Age 5-9

This "green" version of Cinderella with a Bigfoot as the lead had me laughing out loud with its ridiculousness. The prince is loved because he is so "odiferous" but he is also a nature and animal lover. The nasty step-sisters are small women with small, relatively furless feet and throw rocks at spotted owls for fun. Because everyone roared at her so much, they called Ella, "Rrrrrella". Rrrrrella was large with huge, hairy feet and loved animals. The Bigfoot Prince has a funfest that Rrrr
Ashley
Bigfoot crinderrrrrella puts an interesting spin on a classic story. The bigfoot prince is in search for a bigfoot bride. But the prince wont settle for any bigfoot lady. He is search for one like him. In a near by cave lived Ella, her two step sisters, and her step mother. Her step sisters were terribly mean to Ella. They made her do everything for them and they made her conform to the way they wanted her to be. One day while she was fishing for her sister a bear came up and started eating her ...more
Taya
Oct 15, 2009 Taya rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: pbgs-3
I was very excited about this book when I first picked it off the shelf. I love the idea of taking a popular tale and creating something completely new using the same background. Unfortunately, the poor use of dialect really hurt my excitement for the story. I think the author was working hard to make the character's diction match with the idea of the story, but it made the book hard to read and understand. I imagined trying to read it aloud to children and I think it would be very challenging. ...more
Ashley
Cinderella has been retold so many times in so many different ways. When I first saw this version, I was excited as it truly seemed different. However, upon reading it I saw the same old story but substitute bigfoots for the humans, a "beary" godfather for the fairy godmother and a log-rolling competition for the ball. The fact that the prince is looking for such a strong woman is more empowering to women than most versions. At first the fact that he wants the ugliest Bigfoot woman also seems to ...more
Shelbi Bishop
This book is about a bigfoot named Ella who gets picked on by her stepsisters and stepmother. They go off to meet the prince and the beary godfather comes to send Ella off to the games, where the Prince will pick his wife. They try hard to knock the prince off of a log in the river, and cannot do so....but then Ella comes along! She easily knocks the prince off of the log, but she has to leave before her fur becomes decorated with flowers! She loses her clog and the prince searches all over the ...more
Crysta Xue
I loved how it twisted the story so out of the normal ideal. Wonderful read and would recommend for either gender. Boys would enjoy this one.
Casey
I loved this story! Generic Cinderella story, but was very funny. Kids would enjoy it, they can relate to the story but it is about a gross-cinderella-bigfoot. Themes about saving the forest and being true to oneself. Could be used in a nature class, fairy-tale type theme, or just being yourself idea. The dialogue is all spoken by the bigfoot characters so there are a lot of fun noises.

No evil stepmother, but kind of evil stepsisters that want the Grrrella to smell nice and wear flowers, it disc
Andrea
Humorous, silly version of the Cinderella story.
Amanda Zell
Based on the original Cinderella story, this book puts a "save the environment" twist on the original story.

This fiction book was a little too out there for me. However, it may appeal more to the male audience due to the fact that it has to do with bigfoots. As a teacher, you could use this in an environmental unit in science and would probably be best the the 3-5 grade classrooms. The pictures and text interacted well, but the story line was very generic.
Mckinley
Didn't work for me.
Melanie
A humorous, environmental retelling of Cinderella taking place in the woods and the characters portrayed as Bigfeet. A bit corny and some of the language and innuendos will go right over kids heads, but it's a great book for 2nd/3rd graders.
Genie
This version of Cinderella is a really cute and fun version that my students have enjoyed. I think they find it refreshing to read a version where the heroine is not beautiful and eloquent, but is a hairy and smelly Bigfoot. In order to win the heart of the dashing Bigfoot prince, the Bigfoot woman has to roll him off a log in the river! With a happily ever after ending, it's a humorous read.
Michelle at Booksmykidsread
This is an incredibly fun take on the Cinderella story. The Bigfoot prince is a nature lover looking for a bride. All of the female bigfoots want to win his love, but it is Rrrrella, with her big feet, ability to knock him off a log, and hatred of wearing flowers that wins his love. A completely unexpected twist on the old classic
Lindsey
Rrrrella, bigfoot princess, is wanting to win the love of the bigfoot prince. After getting to go to "The Games," she knocks the prince off the log and wins, but she has to be home before they realize it was her that wins. She leaves behind her shoe and the bigfoot prince finds it and goes in search of the princess whose foot was large enough to wear the shoe.
Tricia
Why on earth did this get a request for a 2nd reading!? Girls loved it. It is exactly as the title describes...the story of a furry, bigfoot creature who loves the environment and finds her equally activist fuzzy prince through the fate of her wooden clogs---err, are those phish phans or bigfoots? Hard to call with all the tree hugging.
Guadalupe Ramirez
I loved reading this book. I thought it was hilarious. I found myself laughing out loud while reading it. This would be a great book for kindergarten and first grade classes when working in book comparisons or the venn diagram. You could get a book of the classic Cinderella and compare it to Bigfoot Cinderrrrrella.
Stephanie Ung
Great book to use for making a text to text connection. Read the story to the children then make a chart comparing the real Cinderella story to this alternate version. Have students talk about similarities and differences then have them write another version of the story.
Cheryl
Interesting dedication by author.

Hilarious, tongue-in-cheek, silly rendition of this familiar fairy tale but topsy turvy, the stepsister's feet are too small! One simply can't take oneself seriously when reading this!

Illustrator is Andy Warhol's nephew.
Erin
I had to do a presentation for my fairy tales class in college. This is the other book. the presentation was on how fairy tales change forms. Mine was directed on changing the female ideal of beauty. I enjoyed this one as well. Another great spin on an tale.
Amanda
This was my favorite book when I was a kid. I read this book or had it read to me so many times. I don’t even know where I got the book all I know is that I still have it I just haven’t read it in years. I think every kid would love this book.
Jodie
Variation of Cinderella with Bigfoot characters filling in the roles. Humorous story that kids will enjoy reading. Some harder vocabulary words used, so some students might not understand what it being said.
Sharon
This is an adorable adaptation of Cinderella featuring Bigfoots. The stepsisters try to beautify Cinderella, not realizing that the Bigfoot Prince would prefer a princess as smelly as he is.
Tommy
An adorable adaptation of Cinderella featuring Bigfoots. The stepsisters try to beautify Cinderella, but the godmother intervenes to make her stinky, just the way the Bigfoot Prince prefers.
Paula
Of all the versions of Cinderella I've read, this one has to be one of the funnest!! I loved it and the green aspect just makes it even more fun! What a great take on a classic fairy tale.
Marilyn
The Cinderella story Bigfoot style. The Prince is looking for a stinky, huge woman. The grizzly "beary" godfather comes to her rescue.
Matthew
This is OH for what it is. The Bigfoots look a bit too much like Scandinavian trolls for it to cast the spell it tries to do.
Jen
Jan 21, 2013 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: pb
this was a great take on the typical Cinderella story. Don't pick the flowers! (some ecology lessons as well).
Rowlak5
Cinderella set in the forest with log slippers instead of glass. Cute in a Bigfoot sort of way.
  • Dinorella: A Prehistoric Fairytale
  • The Orphan: A Cinderella Story from Greece
  • Princess Furball
  • Cinderella
  • The Wolf Who Cried Boy
  • Miss Smith's Incredible Storybook (Picture Puffin Books)
  • Cinderella Penguin, or, The Little Glass Flipper
  • The Way Meat Loves Salt: A Cinderella Tale from the Jewish Tradition
  • Cinderella: An Art Deco Love Story
  • Rumpelstiltskin's Daughter
Tony Johnston has written many acclaimed books for young people. She and her husband lived in Mexico for fifteen years, where they raised their children. She now lives in San Marino, California.
More about Tony Johnston...
The Quilt Story Any Small Goodness: A Novel of the Barrio Bone by Bone by Bone My Abuelita Levi Strauss Gets a Bright Idea: A Fairly Fabricated Story of a Pair of Pants