A 1,000-Mile Walk on the Beach: One Woman's Trek of the Perimeter of Lake Michigan (A 1000-MILE ADVENTURE, #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  36 reviews
In 2009, Loreen Niewenhuis walked completely around Lake Michigan. This book chronicles that journey, a 1,000-mile walk around the world's fifth-largest lake. The book explores both the geology of the lake and the measure of a person--a woman, married, mother of two sons (who joined her for portions of the walk). But most of the walk was done solo, an adventure in discover...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Crickhollow Books (first published December 20th 2010)

A Cold Day in Paradise by Steve HamiltonAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieBetter Read Than Dead by Victoria LaurieA Vision of Murder by Victoria LaurieMiddlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
Books set in Michigan
19th out of 240 books — 70 voters
Of Poseidon by Anna BanksThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil GaimanThe Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle HodkinEurydice by Sarah RuhlEva Moves the Furniture by Margot Livesey
Water, Water Everywhere Covers
8th out of 15 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Kerri
I was curious about this book because of the idea of taking on a challenge of walking all the way around Lake Michigan, which I live close to, and because I wanted to see what new things I could learn about the lake and about the process of the journey as a whole. "A 1000 Mile Walk..." was an enjoyable book and I did learn so much more about the lake, especially in regards to the environmental impacts that we have had on it. I also liked the casual style in which the author wrote; it made me fee...more
John
I liked the book quite a lot as a travel narrative, and the author does a good job narrating her own work. My issue was that I found her a bit of a downer regarding the ecological problems of the lake, which are well known, and being addressed; still, I'd definitely recommend the book to those who feel the topic might be of interest.
Theresa Rugel
If you have ever spent a day on the beach at any of the Great Lakes, you know the appeal that these great bodies of water have on your soul. They are beautiful, ever changing, expansive and filled with mystery.

In 2009 Loreen Niewenhuis pursued her life long love of Lake Michigan by walking around the perimeter of this Great Lake. Following the lake's edge wherever possible, her journey spanned from March through September. She found herself tested physically and mentally by trekking 1,019 miles...more
Joan
Loreen Niewenhuis, a Michigan housewife and mother of two teen boys, decided at age 45 to hike the entire shore of Lake Michigan. She wanted to challenge herself physically, emotionally and mentally. To take on something that could be completed, as opposed to household chores that never ended.

Over the winter, Niewenhuis jogged and trained to build her stamina, and she studied maps and satellite images of the lake to plan segments of the Lake Trek, which she wanted to walk over four seasons. Nie...more
Linda Robinson
I'm glad I started this book on the 4th of July, and I finished it on the 4th of July. Independence indeed! I enjoyed Niewenhuis' solitary walk so much. The months of preparation are left where those months belong: behind. We walk, jog, splash, climb, freeze and sweat along with this extraordinary woman on her Lake Trek. It was terrific to have the map of segments on the back to keep track of where she was, and to commit to memory the spots I want to visit. This is a calm book for such a heroic...more
Dawn
I loved this book. Sometimes when a person writes about their own adventure the writing is stilted or dull. Not Loreen! She's a writer at the core who just happened to decide to walk around Lake Michigan. All of it. Yes she did it in segments, but she hiked long miles day after day and when you read the book you get to come along with her - minus your own blisters. I didn't want it to end. She made me laugh out loud with her bear stories, and cry with her at the end. If you have an adventurous b...more
+ Dragonfly+
Thank You Goodreads, I won this book from first reads. I love to read about lakes. I found this book to be fascinating, captivating and makes me want to go for a long walk too. What a great idea to walk all along Lake Michigan! The author put in so many details that my feet hurt just reading all she went through. Also loved the fact that she loves The Lake, so she didn't care about all the pain etc. Just being near the lake and all the many people she met along the way, made her happy. Great boo...more
Vickie
I see Loreen Niewenhuis as an eco-feminist --- she's a strong role model for women of all ages to get out there and challenge ourselves, dare ourselves to live our dreams, whatever they may be. And she knows everything about Lake Michigan. It's evident in all the facts she shares about its history and environment, as she writes about her experiences along those 1,000 miles. This is the real thing, because she cares about the lake. You don't have to live in Michigan to appreciate this book!
Elaine
This is beautifully written by a woman who didn't need to make this trek because she had lost her way in life; instead, she discovered what a great adventure it is to live.
I have had an almost life-long love affair with Lake Michigan. I first saw it as a child of eight because I was born and raised in a different area, away from the Great Lakes.
I love Lake Michigan by visiting its beaches and towns, especially in the Lelanau Peninsula, which to me is the most beautiful spot in the world, and I...more
Tracy
In 2009, Loreen Niewenhuis set a challenge for herself to walk around Lake Michigan. She had been a stay-home mother to her two boys, and now that they were grown, she wanted to do something for herself, something that had a definite beginning and ending (unlike housework!).

Even though the premise seems to be of a woman's spiritual journey, the focus of this book ends up being mostly about the ecology of the lake, the geology of the region, and the histories of some of the coummunities surroundi...more
amber
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

I once had a woman stop me on the street and ask me where a Victoria's Secret was. After I told her, she wanted to know how long a walk that would be. When I told her it would be about six blocks she responded "Six blocks! That is too far to walk. You city people are used to all that walking, but I'm not. I'll have to take a taxi." That story has nothing to do with this book other then that I'd guess the title alone would be enough to give that...more
Zinta

Lake Michigan is a short drive from where I live, and I, too, like the author of A 1,000-Mile Walk on the Beach, have grown up on or near the beaches of Lake Michigan. Yet, inexplicably, I have never connected to it nearly the way Loreen Niewenhuis has or many others who live around me. For me, it’s another of Michigan’s Great Lakes—Lake Superior. Now that’s a lake!

Okay, but I do get it. I get the connection between woman and water, and I absolutely understand the drive to have the adventure. N...more
Margaret McCamant
One summer when I was about 12, my family did a camping trip around Lake Superior. I mostly remember how incredibly cold Lake Superior is for swimming. It's no use trying to get in gradually: your toes are numb after just a few minutes. And one of my freshman college roommates was from Grand Marais; she introduced us all to the concept of "summer sweaters."

As long as I've lived in Chicago, I've always been intrigued by the idea of the 1100-mile drive around Lake Michigan. The author of this book...more
Debra
The book's strong point lies in highlighting the lake's ecological problems (but without really going into depth about their scope or remediation.) For a travel book, however, it seemed rather bloodless. She talked about her love of Lake Michigan, but didn't inspire others to agree. As I read the section covering my former haunts it was hard to believe we were thinking of the same place. Not that it was inaccurate, just more like miles clicking by.
Joan
I always wanted to read more books about Lake Michigan or Michigan in general because I spent summers there with family. This was the first book I really read about the communities of Michigan (and Wisconsin, and Illinois). Even though she kind of meandered too far into the mundane with all her stays at bed and breakfasts and complaining about her aches and pains, I would recommend it for anyone who wants to find themselves, and gotten side tracked by other things.

You see, the author is (or was...more
Christina Wray
interesting project. When she focused on the natural history and her connection with the lake, it was an excellent book. It's true that you can't talk about Lake Michigan without talking about the environmental impact industry has had on the environment, BUT once would have been enough. Multiple time in the book the author talked about industry's impact on the lake without adding any new insights. It detracted from the overall narrative.
Cynthia
Being relatively new to the midwest, a walker and a beach lover I found Niewenhuis' book "A 1,000 Mile Walk on the Beach" to be not only an informative read but a lovely one. Living in northwest Evanston, IL Lake Michigan is 2 miles east of me, we have small beaches, endless views reminiscent of the ocean. Fascinating to hear of the shores down, up, over and alongside. All so different and in varying degrees of health. I could hear Loreen's "voice" as I read, I would have loved to been living he...more
Mary
Interesting story about a woman who walked around Lake Michigan. Some sections of the book were really depressing because of all the ecological disasters that man has caused in this lake - some that will never go away.
I'm not sure that the book was all I expected because the author did the journey in sections, staying at B&B's each night and being carpooled back to the Lake in the morning - but, regardless of that, it was a huge undertaking and I admire her courage and stamina.
Erin
Jan 03, 2012 Erin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
This book was a gift from my Dad who had it autographed. Definitely a good book to kick off 2012. I thought this story was uplifting, simple and was also a reminder of the importance of doing something solely for the self. I also loved it because I do love the lake (especially South Haven!). It also gave me some good ideas for trips/adventures/things to try along Lake Michigan's Lakeshore when we come back to visit family.
Laurac Cushman
If you live in the Great Lakes area, this is a great read! A good look at Lake Michigan through the seasons and the author dug up some great detail on this magnificent lake that I was unaware of. She definitely has a ecology conservation flair without harping overly much on it. I would recommend this book to anyone in this region and beyond if you are interested in nature and Mother Nature at her finest
Susan
Dec 26, 2011 Susan is currently reading it
I was very excited to read this book because the author would be exploring areas that i have visited along Lake Michigan; and scenic places I would like to see in the future: but I as disappointed by her observations. Her descriptions didn't make the experience seem interesting or fulfilling in any way. I have read several other books about the Great Lakes and this one was my least favorite.
Chris
Mike and I did the Lake Michigan camping circle tour a couple of years ago and this reminded me of places we visited. I know I couldn't hike it. She apparently is quite wealthy because she spent a lot of time at bed and breakfasts for the night and traveling back and forth between home and her hike. All in all it was still quite an undertaking and I did enjoy reading about her adventures.
Kim
This is an excellent book written by a local author. Four of us were at bookclub, due to poor weather. Those of us who read it very much enjoyed it. All of us have a respect and appreciation of Lake Michigan, and we enjoy reading about taking better care of it, a journey around it, and a passion for it. I look forward to reading other works by Loreen.
Barbara Falconer Newhall
I wanted to write this book!

I was going to walk around Lake Michigan, my feet in the sand, the cool waters of the Big Lake lapping at my feet!

Fortunately for me, the intrepid Loreen beat me to it.

Find out why I'm glad she did it at:

Jason Schaum
An excellent, quick read. Mrs Niewenhuis tells a great story, very succinctly and in a way that kept me reading. As she explains was her experience, I drifted on the purpose of the book until the end, when you realize it is about someone attempting a challenge. A challenge seemingly impossible, but she dove in and accomplished it. Inspiring!
Julie Doran rzepka
Jul 25, 2012 Julie Doran rzepka is currently reading it
Good historical content of coastal cities/communities. I am finding this aspect very interesting so far and the fact that Niewenhuis is a Michigander. But I am somewhat disappointed in what seems to be the need for her to advertise her venture as she travels. I assumed it was a journey of self discovery, not the need for attention.

Tammy
It was interesting to read about the authors journey and some history of Lake Michigan. I could picture some of the places she walked along as I've lived in the Milwaukee & Chicago areas my entire live and have spent much time along the shores of Lake Michigan. Thanks for the inspiration!
Jane T
Riviting. The descriptions took me along on the journey. The author was a brave lady to make this walk mostly all alone. She had a great backup system in her family. Along the way she made new friends who made parts of the walk with her. This is definitely a good read.
Barb
Awesome adventure! Felt like I was walking with Loreen: could smell the Lake (and the other smells along the way), could feel the fog and rain and wind! A great book and how I wished it wouldn't have eneded. Can;t wait to read A 1,000-Mile Great Lakes Walk.
Mary Bivens
Science, history, geography, personal discovery and an outdoor adventure make for a great read for me. The journey around the lake was broken up with trips home and other breaks, but a challenge nonetheless. I love the lakes and I loved this book.
Loreen Niewenhuis grew up in Michigan and has lived there most of her life. She pursued a life of science, getting a Bachelor, then Master of Science degrees. She worked in various aspects of that world including a hospital laboratory, basic animal research, and a bone marrow transplant group.

While taking a break from this work to raise her young sons, Loreen began writing fiction. This evolved in...more
More about Loreen Niewenhuis...
A 1000-MILE GREAT LAKES WALK (A 1000-MILE ADVENTURE, #2) Atlanta: A Novella Atlanta: a novella Best Lake Michigan Hikes: 10 Favorite Lake Michigan Hikes on the Beach