Start by marking “Il tradimento di Rita Hayworth” as Want to Read:
Il tradimento di Rita Hayworth

Il tradimento di Rita Hayworth

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  448 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
«Vi sono popoli, i cosiddetti popoli coloniali, costretti ad essere le comparse nella storia fatta dagli altri. Per loro la storia si svolge sempre altrove». Vi è del giusto ma anche forse del non esatto nell'analisi di un critico contemporaneo all'uscita, sul finire degli anni Sessanta, di questo libro, opera prima, tradotto in una trentina di paesi, che diede fama allo s ...more
Paperback, La memoria #641, 384 pages
Published March 2005 by Sellerio (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Il tradimento di Rita Hayworth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il tradimento di Rita Hayworth

Fabian
Jul 16, 2013 Fabian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Betrayed by Rita Hayworth by Manuel Puig (7/3)

His first book is an abstract painting: crazed, inspired and meaningful/meaningless in a playful/infuriating way. Schizo—but forgivable (Just read “Kiss of the Spider Woman” and “Heartbreak Tango” and you’ll know why Argentina’s premiere writer is amazing and utterly excusable).

It starts off good, but, I must say it: paragraph-long chapters (no breaks, run ons…) are VERY demanding. So please, don’t make this your first delve into Puig’s universe. And
Rob
Apr 02, 2011 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(8/10) Betrayed by Rita Hayworth is not exactly the easiest book to get a handle on. Puig drops the reader in a forest of unmarked dialogue, and then takes them on a journey through a series of different forms -- dialogue, monologue, epistolary -- all lacking the kind of narrative assistance we expect from a novel. Even after reading it I'm still not certain about the entirety of what happened and who everyone is. Despite this, there are many moments of beauty and some moments of cruelty contain ...more
Julio César
May 21, 2011 Julio César rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julio César by: Diana
Impresionante. Avasalladora novela. Puig redefinió lo que es la literatura argentina. Hoy en día hay cosas que leemos como normales o incluso "arriesgadas" que él introdujo. ¿Quién hablaba de películas de Hollywood en los libros? ¡Por Dios, todavía existía Victoria Ocampo y la revista Sur! Más de un seudo-moderno de hoy en día debería pegarle una buena releída a este excelso escritor...
Philip
Jun 02, 2014 Philip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Betrayed By Rita Hayworth by Manuel Puig presents the reviewer with many problems. The book is certainly exceptional, but the direction in which the exception points will be forever debatable. On one level of experience, the book is a wonderful, if at times frustrating read, whilst on another level it is an impenetrable drivel of confusion, for confusion’s sake. There is much to savour along the route it takes, as long as you don’t particularly want to go anywhere.

At the book’s core there seem t
Adriana
Jan 13, 2015 Adriana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: argentinos
Tengo una especie de mini tradición, cuando llega el verano: 1 Puig, 1 Vonnegut, 1 Auster, 1 clásico. Este Puig muy bueno, me encantó, sobre todo las partes de las mujeres y de Toto, el nene que pinta para gay. No así las de los adolescentes + machos, que me parecieron más esquemáticas y clichés.
Me hizo acordar a El ruido y la furia, tengo que retomarlo.
Karl
Jul 08, 2016 Karl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I can appreciate postmodern literature and sometimes find it interesting, I've come to accept that, with few exceptions, I don't enjoy it, am generally unimpressed by it, and rarely find its proponents to be anything more than pretentious and mediocre.

If you love postmodernism, you'll likely adore this. As postmodernism goes, this isn't bad. Puig was a predecessor to the glut of postmodernist bandwagoners that sprung to prominence through the 70s and 80s, and is interesting to read for th
Jon
Nov 20, 2015 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say of this book for which I hold such conflicting feelings? It has taken me decades to getting around to reading Manuel Puig. Time gets away, and there are so many things to read. I was intending to read Kiss of the Spider Woman, but the book was unavailable, and in a sense, I was relieved, because I actually wanted to try something else of Puig’s. And so I tried this, his first novel.

Puig is a post-boom writer, as some Latin American literature scholars call those writing after Cort
Felipe
Sep 23, 2015 Felipe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: argentina
Este libro es excelente.

La escritura de Puig en este libro es totalmente rítmica. Es como sumarse a tocar un tema. No podés bajarte así nomás. Tenés que seguir y seguir el tempo hasta que termine. Así es cada capítulo.
Al principio no se entiende nada, cuesta adaptarse a leer todo así sin puntos apartes, nunca un punto. Pero te lleva al galope.

Genial.
María
Pueblo polvoriento de la pampa Argentina, 1939. Un chico asustado porque se siente distinto de los demás encuentra amparo ultraterreno viendo cine. Entre función y función, Toto usa a familiares y a vecinos como escudos que han de protegerlo de la realidad. Teté (una niña que teme no rezar lo suficiente para evitar la muerte de su madre), Héctor (el primo seductor que abandona a sus conquistas por temor a ser abandonado), Paqui (una compañera de juegos que a los doce años carga con un pecado mor ...more
Franco
May 01, 2014 Franco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excelente ejemplo de una masa heterogénea y plural de conciencias en diálogo inconcluso. Puig nos hace sentir en la piel del más sórdido ignorante y a la vés, añorar la mente romántica del niño perdido en el universo ficcional del cine.
Anesa
Jan 22, 2014 Anesa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a small town outside Buenos Aires, a series of events gradually takes shape as we read an assortment of letters, journal entries, and dialogues that flow from the viewpoints of a dozen varied characters over a 20-year period. These events appear to be either closely, loosely, or not at all related, one to the next. The reader needs to be patient and keep an open mind as the connections among themes become clear. It is heartbreaking to see how the book’s child hero is casually mistreated by hi ...more
John McElhenney
Jul 31, 2008 John McElhenney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My introduction to Puig began with this crazy romp. He begins his modern exploration of stream of consciousness writing.

I think I gotta read this one again.

Spiderwoman is what you have heard of, I enjoyed this book much more.
wally
Sep 17, 2010 wally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: puig, time-passages
this was one of about 20-30 stories on a list provided to me (and others in the class) by padgett powell...'85-'87 or so. a reading list. before we were all wired so it was welcome. i read it, had this copy in paperback, and can't for the life of me remember much about it.

like some of the other stories on the list, seems it could be that it made it there for the manner of the telling...as more than a few had a unique, or if not quite unique, a different approach to the art of story-telling. i sh
Nerea Serrano
Jun 26, 2014 Nerea Serrano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aunque pueda costar entrar en la novela y que su construcción íntegra en monologo interior pueda resultar pesada hasta acostumbrarse, Puig es capaz de contar una historia de manera muy inteligente y completa. Al final de la novela, aunque no exista la acción, se han vivido muchas y distintas experiencias. Desde luego, es una gran novela, recomiendo leerla, a ser posible en un momento de sosiego y curiosidad literaria...
M
Aug 21, 2013 M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comencé a leer el libro sin saber a qué me enfrentaba. Interpretarlo me costó, pero finalmente lo terminé y me gustó.
La historia se va desarrollando a medida que los personajes hablan entre ellos, dándose a conocer situaciones a partir de perspectivas diferentes. Con esta polifonía en su máximo esplendor, Manuel Puig invita a acercarnos a una interesante y muy ingeniosa estructura narrativa, que no solo da a conocer el estilo de vida de una Argentina entre las décadas de los 30s y 40s, sino que
Mireya
Feb 22, 2014 Mireya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitivamente entre mis autores preferidos, me encanta su forma tan innovadora de escribir tomando el cine como guía!!! Esa forma tan sutil de criticar a la iglesia, costumbres, deber, honor.... pero sobre todo iglesia, muchos autores evidencian los errores, horrores, fe de esta, pero nadie tan sutil como Puig!!! Un libro que se tiene que leer!!!
Amy
Aug 10, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A novel full of scandals and desires from multiple points of view in a small town. Some chapters are slow to get through because there are no paragraph breaks. Other chapters are just difficult to determine who the chapter is about, but overall a good read.
Alex Lang
Jul 16, 2015 Alex Lang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love letter to the b movies puig escaped into as a gay youth in repressive small argentine town.
Martin Lopo
el método licuadora sin tapa (Jarri Satie DIXIT)da excelentes resultados, aca, y en adelante!
Hugo
Mar 26, 2010 Hugo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro narra a un familia de entre los 30s y 40s en Vallejos con la peculiaridad de que cada personaje toma un capitulo del libro ya sea escribiendo en su diario, una carta, narrando a una amistad o (una de las partes que mas me gustaron) como un niño pequeño escuchando conversaciones de adultos, a veces sin darle un sentido propio por mezclarse. En general lo que une en la historia (narrada tambien en diferentes años conforme corren los capitulos) es el cine, el gusto de algunos, la obsesio ...more
Nameh dah
Jun 20, 2014 Nameh dah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Puig y sus maneras de decirnos que es la literatura. Moso, moso.
Jan 20, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'La traición de Rita Hayworth' fue designada, en una encuesta organizada entre los críticos por el periódico 'Le Monde', como una de las cinco mejores novelas extranjeras aparecidas en el bienio 1968-1969 en Francia. Relato de la vida de una ciudad de provincias en la argentina de los años 30 y 40, el libro desvela con turbadora crudeza la alienación de una colectividad dominada por los mitos cinematográficos.
Rodrigo
Sep 04, 2011 Rodrigo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Había leído "El beso..." y pensé que me gustaba Puig. Después de leer "La traición de Rita Hayworth" comencé a dudar: o "El beso..." fue un relámpago genial que no se repitió más, o "La traición..." fue todo lo contrario. No me gustó nada: inconexo, árido, desordenado. Fue un triunfo terminarlo, porque requirió de un gran esfuerzo.
Sara
Sep 22, 2009 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt, 2009, film
A funny, non-linear look at Hollywood's psychological pull on people living in the Argentine Pampas during the 30s-40s. Life may imitate art, but it can't quite draw a bead on the classic studio era, a source of continual frustration for characters whose dreams are visited by Myrna Loy and Hedy Lamarr.
Lewis Manalo
Aug 27, 2007 Lewis Manalo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who like classic movies
Great book with an somewhat experimental form. Juxtaposes the reality the movies encourage with the reality that is. Puig has become under-read in this country where people only remember him for 'Kiss of the Spider Woman.' (His works are also a big influence on Wang Kar-Wai's films.)
Jaza
Jul 03, 2011 Jaza rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite among Puig's books, but very good anyway. He describes the lives of a little town's citizens and their miseries. A really interesting book with Puig's distinctive way of writing.
Hal Hlavinka
Apr 22, 2012 Hal Hlavinka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastically fun and challenging. Definitely get a sense for the formal/film style that DFW appropriated from Puig.
Alberto Ferreras
brilliant!
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
  • El desbarrancadero
  • El siglo de las luces
  • Men of Maize
  • Camellia Street
  • Perder es cuestión de método
  • Operación Masacre
  • The Hare
  • On Elegance While Sleeping
Manuel Puig (born Juan Manuel Puig Delledonne) was an Argentinian author. Among his best known novels are La traición de Rita Hayworth (1968) (Betrayed by Rita Hayworth), Boquitas pintadas (1969) (Heartbreak Tango), and El beso de la mujer araña (1976) (Kiss of the Spider Woman), which was made into a film by the Argentine-Brazilian Director, Héctor Babenco and in 1993 into a Broadway musical.
More about Manuel Puig...

“Su piel blanca, que no me digan que el blanco es la falta de color, porque es el color más hermoso y es el color de la pureza, y por supuesto que el blanco no es la falta de color: los profesores de física han descubierto a todo el mundo que en un copo de nieve, alineados en un blanco inmaculado están ocultos sin embargo el violeta de los lirios, o sea la tristeza, la melancolía, pero también está presente el azul que significa la calma de contemplar reflejado en un charco de la calle el cielo que nos espera, porque el azul está al lado del verde que es la límpida esperanza, y después viene el amarillo de las margaritas del campo, que florecen sin que nadie las plante y se presentan sin buscarlas, como buenas noticias cuando menos se las espera, y el color de las naranjas que ya están maduras por el verano se llama muy apropiadamente anaranjado, el azahar dio un fruto que el verano madura a causa del calor, qué goce saber que germinó la semilla, creció la planta que es la adolescencia y se va a entrar en la juventud del fruto que da el goce anaranjado, el fruto jugoso y refrescante de las tardes calurosas. El rojo también está oculto en el blanco, también está en ella, en Carla, que es tan blanca.” 6 likes