Start by marking “Fungus the Bogeyman” as Want to Read:
Fungus the Bogeyman

Fungus the Bogeyman

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,344 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Deep down underground, in the dark, dripping tunnels of bogeydom, live the bogeys, a vile collection of slimy, smelly creatures who revel in everything revolting. Fungus is a bogeyman-a particularly foul and fetid specimen. As he goes about his bogey business, the full horrors of bogeydom are revealed. Over 80,000 copies of this fun book have been sold worldwide.
Published May 16th 2005 by Penguin Global (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Fungus the Bogeyman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fungus the Bogeyman

Kay
Aug 03, 2007 Kay rated it it was amazing
Oh, Fungus! Wherefore art thou? This is Briggs at his perverse and subversive finest. It helps to have a warped sense of humor and a literary background. Best known for his more conventional children's books such as The Snowman, Briggs, like Roald Dahl, has an uncanny sense of what really appeals to children -- gross stuff and toilet humor. Combine that rudimentary appeal with a very adult level of punning and an endearing melancholy and you have Fungus.
Manny
Jan 23, 2009 Manny rated it really liked it

Making things go bump in the night can be satisfying in its way, and a pint of slime goes down nicely after work. Fungus has a full, rich life, which Briggs documents in loving detail. His favored brand of aftershave is "Old Mice", he eats flaked corns for breakfast, and he's read both Stinks I Have Made and The Great Unwashed.

But what does it all mean? We discover that even bogeymen aren't immune to existential angst...
Kay
Aug 03, 2007 Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore Fungus! Why didn't he ever catch on in the States? Too British, I suppose. Still, the morose bogey never fails to cheer me up. This qualifies as a comfort book.
chucklesthescot
May 19, 2015 chucklesthescot rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, children
I had been wanting to read this for years and finally bought it last year but I was so disappointed in it! I thought it was a cartton strip full of the adventures of a Bogeyman who was going out to scare people and cause mayhem, but it wasn't like that at all.

Yes there were bits with Fungus talking to his family and a bit where he is playing tricks on people but a lot of it is just long winded descriptions of things that didn't really interest me. For example we would get the start of the page w
James Byrne
Fungus the Bogeyman by Raymond Briggs is fantastic and intriguing read for children aged between seven and eleven. It is a hugely entertaining read from start to finish, chronicling the life of Fungus and his grotesque environment. The readers imagination is stimulated from page one right up until the final page. Briggs not only gives the reader a clear indication of what the Bogeyman wears, eats and wash’s himself with but also the bogeyman’s hobbies, habitat and modes of transport. The reader’ ...more
^
Goodness knows when and why I acquired this! Isn’t it amazing what one can find during a good, thorough, turn-out. This book will be turned out. To a charity shop.

Well, I tried re-reading this ‘comic book’ again; but very rapidly made up my mind that whatever might have once appealed to me now definitely doesn’t. I estimate the market for this book as that solely of prep school boys aged between 9 and 11. Yes, the characters and their world is beautifully drawn, with lots and lots of fascinating
Beau Johnston
Apr 05, 2014 Beau Johnston rated it really liked it
This disgraceful book is a blast from the past. My teacher used to hate it when the class was reading (non-school) books and he'd see this well-worn tome on my desk.

Come to think of it, my mother wasn't very happy with me reading it either.

Regardless, I enjoyed it immensely.
Ma'Belle
Mar 20, 2014 Ma'Belle rated it did not like it
I had high hopes for this book, having heard good things about Raymond Briggs' books for children. I actually couldn't bear to read past the sixth page or so, once I realized that it was just a way-too-wordy Bizzaro Superman-style reversal of everything in polite society. It didn't take long for the concept to sink in, and when I paged through the rest of the book, it seemed to be just more "Bogeymen love all things wet, smelly, and dirty" ad nauseum.
Pete daPixie
Mar 15, 2009 Pete daPixie rated it really liked it
Shelves: pixie-stuff
Excellent book. Raymond Briggs drawings are great. Of course being a pixie type person myself I firmly believe in the little people that live at the bottom of gardens and in enchanted woods and forests. Believe in Bogeymen too.
Tracey
Oh Fungus, how I love thee.

I remembered this book as a child, as an adult I had to find a copy and I did. The book was more a revelation this time around.

Fungus lives an ordinary life, he gets up, gets prepared for work, makes the commute, does his job and wonders what is it all about? That is what I loved this time around, Fungus did not know why he scares people, why he puts boils on them and why he does this day after day.

While Fungus tries to figure life out, we are treated to an explorat
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Fungus and his bogeyman friends are the cause of all the gross and upsetting things in the world, though those of us who live Up Top know little of their lives. This book sets out to remedy that. So here’s a little sample of this comic:

Fungus inspects his trousers which have been marinading overnight. “Mmmm! These really stink!”

Here’s another as Fungus performs his daily ablutions:

“Ah! Nice cold filthy water! Good head of scum on it this morning.”

You get the idea. Boils...dung...muck...every sor
Jo Everett
Nov 25, 2014 Jo Everett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love this book. It's so cleverly written with little bits of narrative dotted around the page amongst moving parts and cheeky cartoons, which makes it a perfect children's read that will keep them entertained time and time again. But stuff the children. I picked up this book at my parent's house recently and loved it as much as I did the first time round.

Well done Briggs!
Onion Budgie
Jun 06, 2015 Onion Budgie rated it it was amazing
I first read this when I was 10, and thought that it was just about the best thing ever. Skip forward [mumble mumble] years -- yes, that many -- and I've just found the very same book hiding in a forgotten, dusty stack at my parent's house. Instant nostalgia, and happy memories of slime and boils and bogeys. Fungus is not just for kids.
Saz Gee
Feb 15, 2014 Saz Gee rated it it was amazing
I think this was the first comic I ever read (apart from Asterix and Desperate Dan), borrowed from my brother. I've got my own copy, ready to pass on to my brother's son, now aged 7. It's so nostalgic reading over it, and still brilliantly funny and inventive.
Bruce
Jul 12, 2015 Bruce rated it it was amazing
I have owned so many copies of this book ... always giving mine away, or having them stolen by friends.
Love the word games,the complexity was something we weren't used to in picture books. "Flaked Corns", "pepsomuck", "femstench" .... there is lot to see.
Simon Purdy
Jan 31, 2016 Simon Purdy rated it it was ok
It was an okay book, not much in the way of story. Just so much information, it felt more like a wildlife documentary about the Bogeymen rather than an actually story. So, yeah. OK - but not great. Preferred the TV Mini-series with Timothy Spall in.
Rebecca Erlewein
Jun 23, 2009 Rebecca Erlewein rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes clever picture books
What a fun book! The friend who recommended it to me said: "This will really appeal to the 10-year-old boy in you." And it did!
Bogeydom, where Fungus lives with his wife Mildew and their son Mould, is very differnt from the human world. Bogeys love dirt, slime, being wet and cold, and strong odours.
After a few pages, I thought, "OK, I get it, everything is the other way round". To my surprise, the idea didn't get old over the next few dozen pages, because just when you think, OK, this can't get
MacK
Feb 24, 2008 MacK rated it really liked it
Trust my boss to get me a christmas present based on mucus, ogres, philosophical yearning, and children's lit. (He really is a great man.)

The inventive world of the bogey's is silly without being stupid. It actually manages to urge readers to question the world around them and allows them to empathize with a hero who is part booger, part ogre, part existentialist.

The only thing that stops it from being truly remarkable and lovable is that it overdoses at times on text and becomes more illustrate
Patrik Sampler
Aug 27, 2015 Patrik Sampler rated it liked it
An entertaining exercise in contrarianism.
Gavin
Jul 02, 2009 Gavin rated it really liked it
Ever wondered what bogeymen do with their time off? Here's the guide to finding out. There's a lot of in jokes from the seventies which would probably go over the heads of moist of today's kids, but they'll still enjoy this rather squelchy look at bogeydom.

Briggs may be better known for The Snowman but my, and indeed Sean's, preference is for Fungus.
Refmonster
Dec 01, 2008 Refmonster rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes ick.
eeew! not since 'the heap' in Mad magazine has there been such a repulsive protagonist- and I say that with all due respect.

illustrations are excellent renditions of bogeys at home, and, fair warning, may make you feel a bit maudlin, but sentiment aside, this is just the book to curl up with on a particularly nasty winter evening.
Jonathan
Apr 10, 2015 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A strong stomach is occasionally required to accompany a reading of this exploration of a typical day in the life of Fungus the Bogeyman. Bogeydom is not a place I would particularly like to visit, but I am glad I am aware of it, and that while reading about its goings-on my dinner, and sense of humour, remained intact.
Leah
Aug 28, 2012 Leah rated it it was amazing
This is absolutely brilliant and adorable. Quite a change of pace from the Raymond Briggs book I read yesterday, (When the Wind Blows) which was also brilliant but more terrifying / sad.
Andrés Santiago
Jul 31, 2011 Andrés Santiago rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
What a gem of a book! This is amazing, I can relate to people who read it as kids and keep coming back to it. I bet you can find new things in it every time. It is lol funny and sweet without being sentimental. Loved the graffitis on the walls!!
Maria
This book features on The Telegrpahs must read childrens book so i thought i'd give it a go. The theme is well done however i found it lacked a proper storyline. The dialogue had me confused wouldn't really recommend it.
Carol
I'd call this a child's first graphic novel. I haven't seen it in years yet various images from this book are still etched in my brain. It's a must have for a child, especially a boy child who likes disgusting things.
Craig Fischer
Mar 09, 2013 Craig Fischer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
I didn't get to Fungus, until I was much older in my life, but it brought out the kid in me when I did. Briggs creates one of the most imaginative and hilarious worlds in recent memory--and I strongly recommend it.
jacky
While an interesting idea, the text was too dense for me and I was not interested enough personally to keep reading after a few pages. I could see a child loving it.
Toby
Jan 22, 2008 Toby rated it it was amazing
read this so many times. began in the mid eighties, maybe?
this is the book that comes in just ahead of what I'd previously called the best book ever.
TMJ
Mar 27, 2008 TMJ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Would you like to meet a bogeyman in the middle of the night? Fascinating insight into their habits. Fun read.
  • Haunted House
  • Mr. Majeika
  • A Book of Nonsense - More Nonsense
  • Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
  • Come Away From the Water, Shirley
  • Burglar Bill
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
  • Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep (Candlewick Treasures)
  • The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch (Picture Books)
  • Little Old Mrs. Pepperpot
  • Hodja fra Pjort
  • Pejsek a kočička
  • Dailan Kifki
  • The Hodgeheg
  • A Lion in the Meadow (Picture Puffin)
  • The Real Thief
  • Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
Raymond Redvers Briggs is an English illustrator, cartoonist, graphic novelist, and author who has achieved critical and popular success among adults and children. He is best known for his story "The Snowman", which is shown every Christmas on British television in cartoon form and on the stage as a musical.

His first three major works, Father Christmas, Father Christmas Goes on Holiday (both featu
More about Raymond Briggs...