Start by marking “Dream Journal” as Want to Read:
Dream Journal

Dream Journal

"Will she die soon?"

Sixteen-year-old Livy Moore has finally summoned the courage to ask about her mother's illness. But she already knows the answer: for two years, Livy has watched her mother grow smaller and weaker. Now, in a series of journal entries, Livy chronicles the summer before her junior year--the summer she watches her mother slip away from her, as she succumb

Published September 15th 2006 by Disney Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Dream Journal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dream Journal

Taylor
Feb 26, 2011 Taylor added it
Livy Moore a 16 year old girl who is best friends with Ruth, the pastor's kid, but has been neglecting the friendship since her mother became extremely ill. Ruth decides to playfully kidnap Livy and take her for a ride with his sister Jackie, Charlie,and Ed, a benchwarmer who's goofy but has a great heart. They attend a party, get drunk, go home, and come together the next day to go to the Goodlove Forest. Guys crashed cars there, girls got pregnant, and nobody went there for the nature walks. ...more
Callie Bishop
Feb 07, 2014 Callie Bishop rated it it was amazing
The setting of dream journal is mostly at Livy Moores house or around her town. Livy’s house is a quiet empty place. Her house was lonely and cold even when everyone was home. Her town is small and where everyone knows everyone. Her father is the track coach. The kids in her town are very athletic and if most of them wanted to go to college and make it out of their town they would need a sports scholarship. Her town isn't very wealthy but they make the best of what they got. When Livys at home ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
May 04, 2008 Jennifer Wardrip rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Jocelyn Pearce for TeensReadToo.com

Livy Moore is sixteen years old, and facing something no sixteen-year-old should have to face.

Her mother is dying.

Upon learning this, upon hearing for certain that it is inevitable, Livy shuts herself off from her friends, from her family, and from her own life.

Recording it all in her journal, Livy shares with readers the powerful emotions involved in love, loss, and life. She's forced out of her hiding place, forced to confront the reality that
Jenna Randell
Jun 04, 2009 Jenna Randell added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a great read
Recommended to Jenna by: i saw it in my school library
Dream Journal is a story about a girl that experienced the same life style as me. Her mother has the same cancer that my grandmother and aunt had. Her father is the same as my dad. He has no section in my life. This book really made me think about how you can go on trough life so fast. And that sometimes you have to slow down and take a break from all the craziness. And that’s just what Livy has to do. Let other people know how you feel don’t push the feelings down. That’s one thing I learned no ...more
Kathryn
I didn't have very many good expectations for this book. I thought that with its frilly pink cover and small size that it would be just another book written for pre-teen girls.

I was kind of wrong. I mean, this book could reach young girls, but it also reached me, too. I had a mother who died of cancer, so this book actually was something to which I could relate.

It wasn't an excellent book, but it was still good. I still liked it. I'm glad I read it.

It's ending wasn't the traditional sort of endi
Emily  (SimplyEmily'sMind)
This was a pretty good book, but I'm nor sure I'm going to suggest it people when they ask for suggestions of a good book to read. I don't regret reading it, but it wasn't the best book ever written.
It had a good story, but I felt like I needed more background on the mother. it was a pretty quick read, which I actually liked. I probably wouldn't have finished it if it would have been a long one.
The writing itself was very good though, probably one of the reasons I kept pushing on. I believe Ka
Martha Schwalbe
Jul 11, 2012 Martha Schwalbe rated it liked it
One of the scenes in this book reminded me of Chalktown, Livy and her mother wander through a house that is painted with scenes of the surroundings and water.
It was an easy read, no particular insight for me though a good story.
I would recommend this book to my freshmen girls or any reluctant readers who are girls. I do wonder what a boy would think. Although the main characters are female, there are several strong male characters and their stories are strong too.
Kezia L
Oct 23, 2012 Kezia L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heather
Oct 20, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Livy is a 16 yr old girl dealing with her mother dying of cancer. She deals with the loss of what her mother used to be by shutting out her best friend and barely speaking to her father.

A sad story, but very realistic. I think upper middle schoolers might enjoy this book as well as high schoolers. There is underage drinking in the book.
Music Luver
LOVED IT!!!!!!!!! My absolute favorite book! IT provides you relateable content while at a suitable setting for the reader. It also expresses thoughts and view points that would other wise not be known. It also sheds light into familes' lives with cancer and things of that sort. Over all , it also expresses a father's deep love for his wife. Even when **SPOILER ALERT** she dies.
Katherine Bond
Mar 06, 2012 Katherine Bond rated it it was amazing
The story of a girl growing up very quickly in the last days of her mother's life. Beautifully and poignantly written, Schreck does not succumb to the saccharine, but shows us characters who are authentic and flawed and who, through pain and loss, learn how to love more deeply.
Josie
Jul 03, 2008 Josie rated it really liked it
I didn't give Dream Journal an extra star because there were some language issues in it, but overall the book was amazing! It really made you think about friends or family members who have struggles with illness in their own lives or somebody elses!
Nicole
Nov 26, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
I read this book in the summer of my junior year in high school. At first I didn't think this would be a good book, but surprisingly it was interestingly good.
Calsi
Calsi rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Adara-Zo Banks
Sep 21, 2012 Adara-Zo Banks rated it really liked it
I was given this book by my stepmom & I absolutely loved it
Abby
Abby rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2011
Shayne Moore
Shayne Moore rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2012
Andrea Hansgen
Andrea Hansgen rated it it was ok
Dec 24, 2011
Kayla
Kayla rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2013
S
S rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2011
Cassey
Cassey rated it it was ok
Dec 23, 2011
Mohamed Lotfy
Mohamed Lotfy rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Rebeccadanielle
Rebeccadanielle rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Lara
Lara rated it it was ok
Sep 24, 2015
April Trixie
April Trixie rated it liked it
May 06, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2011
Pinnk Sanntos
Pinnk Sanntos rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2012
Kelly Martinez
Kelly Martinez rated it it was ok
Nov 23, 2008
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2012
dannah kim
Jul 18, 2010 dannah kim rated it it was amazing
learning how to trust your dad. and yourself. and getting over the lost of a loved one.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Teacher's Pet (Wild at Heart, #7)
  • Out for Blood (Killer Species, #3)
  • Dawn Runner (Phantom Stallion, #21)
  • Gift Horse (Saddle Club, #40)
  • Falcon in the Glass
  • Things Left Unsaid: A Novel in Poems
  • Sound Bender (Sound Bender #1)
  • The Rivalry: Mystery at the Army-Navy Game (The Sports Beat, #5)
  • Deeper Into the Word: Reflections on 100 Words from the New Testament
  • Saying it Out Loud
  • Ella Mental: And the Good Sense Guide
  • Window Boy
  • The Missional Mom: Living with Purpose at Home & in the World
  • Undercover
  • The Renovation: Carter Mansion (Project Restoration, #1)
  • The Girl in the Orange Dress: Searching for a Father Who Does Not Fail
  • Frances's Story (Quantock Quartet, #2)
  • Seize the Story: A Handbook for Teens Who Like to Write
Karen Halvorsen Schreck is the author of the historical novels Broken Ground (Simon & Schuster May 2016), called a “masterfully written . . . must-read” by USA Today, and Sing For Me, which Publisher's Weekly described as “an impressive debut…a well-wrought and edifying page-turner” in a Starred Review, along with two novels for young adults and a book for children. Her short stories, ...more
More about Karen Halvorsen Schreck...