Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2)

Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss #2)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  59,990 ratings  ·  6,540 reviews
Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion...she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit--more sparkly, more fun, more wild--the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell t...more
Published September 29th 2011 by Dutton Books (first published September 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Lola and the Boy Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lola and the Boy Next Door

The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsLooking for Alaska by John GreenThirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Best Young Adult Realistic Novels
19th out of 1,245 books — 7,722 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHopeless by Colleen HooverEffortless by S.C. StephensThoughtless by S.C. Stephens
Best Book Boyfriends
85th out of 4,471 books — 17,365 voters

More lists with this book...

tonya.
Here's the thing. I think Stephanie Perkins is in my head. Or at least my daydreams. How else could she consistently write characters that seem to be tailor-made to hit my flutter buttons? Etienne for my anglophilia, Max for my tattooed, Buddy Holly glasses wearing (view spoiler) rocker boy, and Cricket. Cricket for everything I've ever wanted in a real boy.

Because that's the beauty of Lola and the Bo...more
Flannery
Aug 08, 2011 Flannery rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People Who Read Anna & The French Kiss
Did you read Anna and the French Kiss?:
A.YES, I loved it!
B.YES, it was okay.
C.YES, and I didn’t like it.
D.NO, but I intend to.
E.NO, it’s not for me.

If you picked A, B, or D, please proceed to review #1.
If you picked C or E, please proceed to review #2.
__________________________________________________
Review #1:
LOVE! This book is fun, fun, fun (til her daddy takes the T-bird away). It has a very similar feeling to its companion novel Anna and the French Kiss—a teenage girl who already has a boyf...more
Sophia.
Oh, gosh. I really cannot understand all the good reviews for this book (even if half of them were given BEFORE the book actually came out, which, if you ask me, is completely stupid). To say it's overrated is an understatement.

This book is such a huge disappointment. I guess this is a typical example of what happens when you fantasize so much about something that you've actually built up this ideal in your mind... which has nothing to do with reality, sadly. Careful people, spoilers ahead.

I'd...more
Lyndsey
Set to "Copacabana" by Barry Manilow.

Her name is Lo-la. She's a steal-the-show girl.
With purple stripeys in her hair, wearing leggings worthy of Cher.
She's friends with Etienne, and of course, with An-na.
The boy next door draws on his hand, and Lola yearns to understand.
Across their midnight lawn, they talked from dusk til dawn.
They were young and needed each other.
But did the boy next door want more?

At Lola's, Lola Nolan's Casa.
The hottest thing since Etienne and Anna!
At Lola's, Lola Nolan's Ca...more
Rainbow
Stephanie Perkins writes excellent boys. Girls, too -- but ESPECIALLY boys. They feel specific. Like real people, not shapeless dream things. And she takes her time with her characters. There isn't any feeling that she's cramming the love story in, in between distractions.

CHARMING.

Ariana
Apr 20, 2014 Ariana rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ariana by: JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko
Shelves: next-door

I'm definitely going to burn in hell..
Oh, that awkward moment when everybody loves a book and you don't understand why... You know that feeling, right? Well, yeah, I'm pretty much living it.

It's not that I DIDN'T LIKE the book, it's just that I didn't LIKE it.. Does it make any sense to you, because for me there is a whole damn big difference.

Anyways, this is not Anna's book-sister, this is more like the evil stepsister.. It actually managed to raise my blood pressure, unfortunately not in a "t...more
Lisa O.
The thing about Lola and the boy next door is that, since it's a companion book, it's inevitable to make a comparison with Anna and the French Kiss which, in this case, comes out as a disadvantage because, as far as I am concerned, Anna is the absolute winner.

Lola is a really cute story: she is a quirky, raised by gay parents, unique teenage girl.
When her first crush and ex-neighbor, Cricket, reappears on her doorstep after two years, things get complicated because Lola already has a boyfriend,...more
Arlene
Jul 23, 2011 Arlene rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Anna and the French Kiss
Recommended to Arlene by: Etienne. I'm sticking to it... =)
First off, a huge thanks to Rebecca for giving me this ARC. Thank you!!

♥ ♥ ♥ ABSOLUTELY CRUSH-WORTHY♥ ♥ ♥

HOLY CRICKET!! I am absolutely in love with Lola and the Boy Next Door! I’m not denying it, I have a HUGE crush on this book and it’s not going away. Stephanie Perkins, without a doubt did it again. She’s managed to tap into my inner giddy making me a shameless book hugger. For fans of Anna and the French Kiss eagerly anticipating Lola and the Boy Next Door breathe with ease. This book is fr...more
Tatiana
I don't know how I am going to justify this rating. Books like Lola and the Boy Next Door rarely work for me. I dislike chick-lit, I dislike two-timing/emotionally cheating/lying heroines, I dislike when the "wrong" guy in books with love triangles is vilified at the last minute to make it right for the heroine to break up with him. And yet I liked this book that contains all these elements.

This novel is just such a light, breezy, charming read. The main character, who would normally annoy the...more
Alyssa
You know how all you Harry Potter fans were, like, living for the release of the seventh book, and then how some were disappointed in it? Lola was my disappointing Deathly Hallows.

You see, Anna and I, we hit it off. She smacked me in the face when I needed a slap, she caressed my stupid romantic heart, and she left me laughing out loud and wanting more. Anna, well, she’s kind of the reminder in a genre full of heavy stuff that it’s okay to watch romantic comedies on Valentine’s Day with a box o...more
Priscilla
D'AAWWWW, well isn't that just lovely.

Initial reactions:
1. GAH, the cuteness OVERWHELMS ME! *faints*
2. Okay. Serious business guys. Love the story. There are more things going on than just the boy next door. Family, figuring out who you really are, and growing up.
3. Writing is amazing of course. Perkins is able to write her main characters with such a voice. They are complete characters. I love how Lola has interests, and there are issues surrounding her life other than boy problems. And althoug...more
Emily May

Yay for warm fuzzies. Stephanie Perkins has a talent and that talent is for making me happy, allowing me to enjoy the entire reading experience, laugh at times and come away with no deep sense of revelation - just the knowledge that I will have to get my hands on whatever she writes next. Her writing may be light and mostly meaningless but it achieves one of the greatest things a book possibly can: fun.

And that's just it... this book is silly, mindless fun. I'm not sure why some people who enjo...more
Anzu The Great Destroyer
** Favourite YA of 2011 **

OMG!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

How the hell am I supposed to review this without seeming sick or desperate?? I have no idea! …. But I’m going to try!

This was AMAZING! I was expecting it to be great, but there was still a part of me cringing at the idea that I might be too demanding and find out that it’s not so good. Well, it surpassed my expectations.

How can I best define Lola and the Boy Next Door?

I literally couldn’t put the book down. It got stuck to my hands. It beca...more
Lucy
Lola and the Boy Next Door was a clumsy fumble for Stephanie Perkins. It had the potential to be something much better, but got bogged down with Anna's history and Isla's future. I often wondered how much of Lola was planned while Anna and the French Kiss was being written and how much of Lola's story was simply dictated by the circumstances the first story had and the third story would require. Even Perkins' charming writing couldn't really save the book after tying it to so many heavy bricks a...more
Christine Riccio
adorable and wonderful! didn't want to put it down =)
Reynje

I am not overly fond of romantic-comedy films.

I put this mostly down to what I like to call the “Matthew McConaughey Climactic Love Chase Effect”. You know – where at the finale of the film one of the actors (Note: need not be Matthew McConaughey, although he is a Repeat Offender) realises that the love of their life may have just slipped out of their proverbial grasp, so they grab the nearest bicycle/horse/skateboard/unicycle and frantically race through the streets/fields/rain, over v...more
Jessica (Rabid Reads)
Thank goodness for author recommendations.

Like Tammara Webber and Rae Carson, I too read Anna and the French Kiss and felt pretty M-E-H about it. But hey, we now live in a world of Kindles and Nooks (oh my!), and sample chapters are only a click away.

I was instantly hooked on Lola, one of the quirkiest, most original (not to mention coolest) characters I've ever read. Lola's best friend, Miss I-wanna-be-a-detective-when-I-grow-up Lindsey Lim, is pretty awesome too. I especially like what led t...more
Nic
Favourite Quote: "I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else."

As some of you know I take notes as I read. So I thought I would share some of mine for Lola and The Boy Next Door:

- I like the name Cricket (I don't know why)
- YAY for Anna
- What are Blow Pops?
- Awww... melting
- Swoon (several times)

As you can tell from the above I LOVED IT! It was everything I...more
Stacia (out of inspiration)
4.5 stars - so close to a 5.

Stephanie Perkins, you just made it to my favorite authors list. I wanted to put you there before, but I thought there was a chance that the brilliance of Anna and the French Kiss might have been a fluke. Now that I've read Lola, I know things are still good between us. I don't have to sever the ties or try to breakup with you in a nice way that won't hurt your feelings.

Lola and the Boy Next Door was such a fun book. This author's style is different, fresh and tongue...more
Jo
Jan 09, 2012 Jo marked it as gave-up-on
Shelves: own, 2012, ya
In this book good old Anna explains to good old Lola that “It’s fun to write a review if you hate the movie.”
I’m guessing that’s the same for books as well but I’m not going to find out because I’m officially giving up.
I know, I’m sorry.
I tried.
I failed.
I’m a failure.
I’m a failure as a girl.

I know a lot of people love this book and I can appreciate why. Ms Perkins has a flawless way of penning sweet, fluffy romantic books and people who like that kind of thing will adore this book.

But I'm jus...more
Megan
First off, I LOVED Anna and the French Kiss. It has a great plot, great location, great boarding school, fun characters, a great boy, but most importantly Anna is a great character. I could easily put myself into her shoes even though she was in Paris. Perkins is cute so she created a cute book that's fun to read. I was so excited about Lola and couldn't wait to get my hands on it!

However, I was disappointed with Lola and the Boy Next Door.My main problem with this book is its namesake, Lola. S...more
Madeleine Rex
For more reviews like this one, visit my blog, Wordbird! :)

Quote:

"Perfect is overrated. Perfect is boring."

I smile. "You don't think I'm perfect?"

"No. You're delightfully screwy, and I wouldn't have you any other way."

Review:

Lola and the Boy Next Door is bound to be enjoyed by many readers. It's quirky, witty, and cute - all the things we know Stephanie Perkins excels at.

However, I found it somewhat disappointing. It did not seem as jaw-dropping-ly awesome as Anna and the French Kiss did. I n...more
Nafiza
Oct 03, 2011 Nafiza rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Before you start reading this, let me just say that the following few paragraphs contain my opinion and you may not agree with them but I have a right to them. (The little girl in me wants to thumb my nose and go "so there" but the adult in me is trying to resist.)

I loved Anna and the French Kiss. I really did. In fact, I still do. I have read it a couple of times and each time, I'm just amazed by how exactly it portrays love and all that gushy stuff. This should alert you to the fact that wher...more
Sam

“Of course I fell in love with him. Of course it ended badly.”

The warm, fuzzy feelings associated with Anna and the French Kiss are almost hard to replicate, but Stephanie Perkins did a fantastic job with this companion novel, delivering something just as entertaining and light as Anna, but in a completely new vein entirely. The characters are quirkier, geekier, and the romance a touch more complicated. If anything, I enjoyed this a fraction more than Anna as it was easier to relate to...more
Ariel
May 17, 2012 Ariel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I read this book in under 24 hours just like I did with Anna. IT WAS SO AMAZING . I WILL REVIEW SOON.

The worst part about this book is that I'm done reading it.
Seriously.

Catie
Girl meets boy. Boy gets away. Girl meets idiot. Boy comes back. Will she ever realize that she’s dating an idiot and give boy a chance?

I’m not sure if I’ve ever encountered this premise before.*

(*That last one doesn’t really count because Bill Pullman will never be an idiot.)

I’m still not really tired of it though. I love stories about the one that got away! I love that delicious tension of will they or won’t they?

Unfortunately, I think that much of the potential tension in Lola and the Boy N...more
~Tina~
I have a big fat goofy grin splattered on my face, something I've come to realize is inevitable when reading a Stephanie Perkins book.
Lola and the Boy Next Door is one of my BIGGEST anticipated book for 2011. The need for this book was overwhelming to the point of physical pain at one point. So a HUGE thanks to Arlene for sharing her copy on tour and for Flann for sending it!
I haven't smiled this much in a really long time!

My all time favorite contemporary/romance book is Anna and the French K...more
Kiersten White
Oh, I love this book so, so much. Funny, sweet, and swoony, soaked in Perkins' signature charm and graceful depth. Please remember, though: I READ CRICKET FIRST SO HE IS MINE.

Ahem.
Kristi
Stephanie Perkins made a fan out of me with her debut novel Anna and the French Kiss. She did it yet again with her second novel Lola and the Boy Next Door!

I was one of the lucky people that snagged an advance reader copy of Lola at Book Expo America. While I sent most of my books home to myself by way of the postal service, there were a few that I saved back to read on the way home. Lola was one of those books! I read Lola while sitting in LaGuardia waiting for my flight to Chicago. That meant...more
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
Apr 27, 2012 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YA Romance Readers
Shelves: young-adult
5 of 5 Stars - Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den Blog

(This is an Adult-who-enjoys-reliving-the-stirrings-of-first-love-and-self-discovery-during-the-teen-years-through-YA books review)

A Super Thank You to my dear friend Jennifer from San Francisco for bringing me this book on her trip to Australia!!! How appropriate that this book is set in San Francisco. ^_^ I loved the setting! Having been to San Fran 2 years ago, I liked that I had images of some of the places mentioned in the book...more
  • Measuring Up
  • Amy and Roger's Epic Detour
  • Past Perfect
  • My Life Next Door (My Life Next Door, #1)
  • Geek Girl
  • Real Live Boyfriends: Yes. Boyfriends, Plural. If My Life Weren't Complicated, I Wouldn't Be Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #4)
  • Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)
  • The Catastrophic History of You and Me
  • Bittersweet
  • We'll Always Have Summer (Summer, #3)
  • Shut Out
  • 52 Reasons to Hate My Father
  • Catching Jordan
  • Just One Year (Just One Day, #2)
  • Amplified (Amplified, #1)
  • Getting Over Garrett Delaney
  • Virtuosity
  • The Last Little Blue Envelope (Little Blue Envelope, #2)
Hi, there! I'm Steph, and I wrote ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS, LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR, and ISLA AND THE HAPPILY EVER AFTER. I also edited (and contributed a short story to) a romantic holiday anthology called MY TRUE LOVE GAVE TO ME. My next YA novel will be horror—a teen slasher published by Dutton.

I don't check blog comments here on Goodreads, so if you want to make sure that I receive your mes...more
More about Stephanie Perkins...
Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3) Untitled Standalone My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories Untitled [Book #5]

“I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else.” 1238 likes
“Once upon a time, there was a girl who talked to the moon. And she was mysterious and she was perfect, in that way that girls who talk to moons are. In the house next door, there lived a boy. And the boy watched the girl grow more and more perfect, more and more beautiful with each passing year. He watched her watch the moon. And he began to wonder if the moon would help him unravel the mystery of the beautiful girl. So the boy looked into the sky. But he couldn't concentrate on the moon. He was too distracted by the stars. And it didn't matter how many songs or poems had already been written about them, because whenever he thought about the girl, the stars shone brighter. As if she were the one keeping them illuminated.

One day, the boy had to move away. He couldn't bring the girl with him, so he brought the stars. When he'd look out his window at night, he would start with one. One star. And the boy would make a wish on it, and the wish would be her name.

At the sound of her name, a second star would appear. And then he'd wish her name again, and the stars would double into four. And four became eight, and eight became sixteen, and so on, in the greatest mathematical equation the universe had ever seen. And by the time an hour had passed, the sky would be filled with so many stars that it would wake the neighbors. People wondered who'd turned on the floodlights.

The boy did. By thinking about the girl.”
829 likes