The Great Bazaar And Other Stories (Demon Cycle, #1.6)

The Great Bazaar And Other Stories (Demon Cycle #1.6)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,858 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Humanity is nearly extinct after 300 years of hungry demon corelings. A handful of Messengers brave the night between the increasingly isolated populace behind protective wards. Arlen Bales will search anywhere, dare anything, to save the world. Maybe Abban, a merchant in the Great Bazaar of Krasia who purports to sell anything, has the answer.
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Bazaar And Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Bazaar And Other Stories

Paul Stotts
The Painted Man (also known as The Warded Man for those who like their books American-Made) is one of the best fantasy epics of recent years. Period, exclamation point, throw whatever other punctuation you want at it, doesn’t matter; the book seriously kicked it, bringing it like Beckham (That Posh has skillz!) The novel’s protagonist, the demon-fighting Arlen Bales, easily captures the mantle of greatest Arlen ever, (trouncing Senator Arlen Specter who doesn’t fight demons, he just works with t...more
David Sven
The Great Bazaar is a short story that sits somewhere between chapters 16 and 17 of The Warded Man and tells of how Arlen gets Abban to help him steal the map to the lost City of Anoch Sun from the Krasian Temple of Heroes. Brett says he chose not to write about the three year period between those chapters when Arlen is working as a messenger and has instead opted to possibly revisit that time period later on. In his own words

This was an exciting, adventure-filled period in Arlen’s life, and a v...more
Seak (Bryce L.)
I probably don't need to mention this again, but I love the Demon Cycle by Peter Brett. It just gets me. It's not perfect, but there are so many great things about it that I can easily dismiss/overlook/completely ignore any shortcomings. I keep reading and I can't get enough.

Brett has created literary crack.

The Great Bazaar and Other Stories takes place somewhere in the middle (time-wise) of The Warded Man, book one of the Demon Cycle. Our hero, Arlen Bales, is working as a messenger -those who...more
Dawn
Good little addition to the Demon Cycle series. Nothing spectacular, but still worth reading if you enjoyed the other books in the series. I'd recommend reading it after Warded/Painted Man and before Desert Spear though, as all of the stories and deleted scenes are from Warded/Painted Man.
Mark
When I read The Painted Man last year it became one of my favourite books I'd ever read. It had everything I wanted and Peter V Brett told the story in such a way that I just couldn't put it down until I reached the last page. The sequel, The Desert Spear, became one of the top three books I was looking forward to this year, but when Subterranean Press announced The Great Bazaar I knew I had to have it. Fortunately I managed to get my order in and when it arrived I quickly managed to get over my...more
sabisteb
Der große Basar ist eines Sammlung aus 2 Kurzgeschichten und 2 weggefallenen Szenen aus Das Lied der Dunkelheit, die aus den unterschiedlichsten Gründen gestrichen wurden.

Die Kurzgeschichte Der große Basar erzählt von Arlens und Abbans Geschäftsbeziehung und wie Arlen in den Besitz der Karte kam, die ihn nach Anochs Sonne führte.

Die Kurzgeschichte "Brayans Gold" erzählt von Arlens erster langer Tour als Kurier auf welcher er als erster Mensch einem Schneedämon begegnet.

Diese beiden Kurzgeschicht...more
Michael
Jul 25, 2014 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of The Demon Cycle, must read for fans of Abban.
Recommended to Michael by: I am a fan of The Demon Cycle and Abban.
I would say there was less to this story than the other Demon Cycle short story, "Brayan's Gold", and for a while "The Great Bazaar" feels like nothing more than a cut section of The Warded Man. However, the ending throws a fun curveball or two which help the story achieve closure and stand on its own, ultimately putting the tale a little ahead of "Brayan's Gold" in my estimation.

Plus, "The Great Bazaar" gives us more Abban. I hadn't taken much notice of him in The Warded Man, but this story es...more
Rusty
I'll be straight up honest with you. I didn't read this book... I did read The Great Bazaar and Bryan's Gold in a beautiful little hardback published by Harper Voyager publishers, but I couldn't find that version anywhere on goodreads. So I'm reviewing this, which appears to have at least those same two stories in it.

In all, I liked them, they both take place during a period of Arlen's life that was skipped in the Warded Man novel. You know, he walked into the wilderness to become a messenger an...more
Jim C
This book contains a short story that takes place during The Warded Man. It also has two deleted scenes from that novel and there is a glossary of word definitions and the different wards that characters use in the book.

I enjoyed the short story and the deleted scene with Arlen. These two events help portray how Arlen is different from his family and gives the reader more examples of Arlen's beliefs. The other material is nice for a perusal but really doesn't add anything to this world.

This boo...more
Suzie
Lived being able to see Arlens story continue through the eyes of another character. I love Abbaan, he's such a scoundrel.
Scrambles
Short, sweet and a great refresher before moving onto The Desert Spear. Bring on The Desert Spear.
Becky
I decided to plough through some novella's from various series that I haven't gotten around to yet, and this was on the list. This review is actually for the newer edition (I believe) entitled The Great Bazaar and Brayan's Gold, which includes this and Brayan's Gold, so I don't know what the 'other stories' in this version actually are I'm afraid!

Arlen is in the desert region of Krasia, searching the desert sands for a village that was lost to the demons, but which may still contain some valuabl...more
K
Verlag : HEYNE

Klapptext :

„ Der Weg aus der
Dunkelheit beginnt . . . „

„Der große Basar ist eine einzigartige Sammlung von Erzählungen, Szenen, einem Glossar wichtiger Begriffe und einem Handbuch der magischen Siegel aus der faszinierenden Welt von Peter V. Bretts phantastischen Epos Das Lied der Dunkelheit.“

Aufmachung :

Klappbroschur, mit einer sehr detaillierten Karte von Krasia, auf der man noch einmal die wich...more
Taylor Davidson
The Great Bazaar And Other Stories, Peter V. Brett

One of the key events in the The Painted Man is when Arlen Bales, a young and daring messenger, finds an ancient spear in the ruins of Anoch Sun that has been marked with the fabled 'attack' wards. These wards are needed in order to kill the hordes of demons that rise from the Core each night and have been lost for centuries, meaning that all mankind has been able to do to resist them henceforth is to repel the demons from our homes and scant rem...more
Sachin Dev
Great escape into the world ravaged by the demons :)

Loved this interlude - basically setting up a gold-heart character Abban for us; When Peter V Brett broke into the epic fantasy scene with the "Warded Man" - People couldn't get enough of the wonderful world he painted. Man vs Nature, Man vs Evil - Here, Arlen the Messenger armed with Magical Wards against the Demons -> simple concept really but Brett drove it home with some tense action-packed character-driven narrative that was a rip-roari...more
Kat  Hooper
Shame on me for not having read Peter V. Brett’s The Warded Man and The Desert Spear yet. I have them on audio and I look forward to reading them — I just keep thinking that I’ll let Mr. Brett get further along in the series before I jump in (the series has been progressing slowly, but book 3, The Daylight War, comes out next February). Yet I’m attracted to Brett’s world and after reading his novella Brayan’s Gold, I wanted more, so I picked up the audio version of The Great Bazaar, another nove...more
Victoria
Desperate for more of the series, I purchased the digital copies of both of Brett’s novellas. This first one was a brief collection. And if The Warded Man had been a DVD, then this would surely be considered the “bonus features”. Each of the three sections included an introduction explaining how they related to the first book in the series and why they were excised (mostly for length). So more than “stories” these felt like deleted scenes. None of them were vital to the overall story arc, but th...more
Ralph
This book is part of the The Demon War trilogy, but moreso as a fill-in/short side stories way. The first story is The Great Bazaar, which recounts Arlen's time as a Messenger, his relationship with Abban, and leads into how he finds the lost city of Anoch Sun. This was a nice tie-in to the trilogy, and basically only provides minimal needed information to the trilogy. I have enjoyed the character Arlen, that I found this to be a nice read.

The second story is Brayan's Gold, and it actually takes...more
Marc
Une novella qui ne tient pas les promesses de la quatrième de couverture :
- cette "fable" n'a rien d'épique,
- les personnages n'ont rien d'inoubliable,
- l'intrigue est plutôt mince et n'est pas "impossible à lâcher".

Je concéderai cependant que l'univers de Peter V. Brett m'a semblé tout à fait fascinant avec ces histoires de démons et de runes pour les combattre. Cela étant, je n'ose pas encore tenter Le cycle des démons, tome 1 : l'homme rune de peur de tomber sur une énième histoire de fant...more
Meg
Kathrin
The book contains two short stories and two deleted scenes from the first novel of the series. The book also contains a little appendix for the Demon World.

The short stories are a good addition to the first novel and I truly enjoyed reading them. They give some more insight into Arlen's way to becoming a messenger.

The two deleted scenes were presented with an additional note on why they didn't make it into the book. This part was highly interesting for me as I like to know more about the way a...more
Rechan Rechan
While the stories are written with the same quality as the other Demon Cycle books, little that's New or Important happens here. These two stories merely fill in a few brief gaps. Not bad, but not groundbreaking. Best to read if you need your Demon Cycle fix between the long wait for the next book.
Brianne
A smattering of chapters and deleted scenes from the Demon Cycle series. Interesting to read. I liked the introduction that made it into the book better. Not sure if reading this added to my enjoyment of the world. That's probably why the bits got cut.

Still. An hour. Entertainment.
Marcus
Die beiden längeren Geschichten sind gute und spannende Ergänzung zum Erzählbogen um Arlen, treiben die Saga aber kein Stück voran. Der Rest des Buches hat Lückenfüllerqualität. Auch wenn ich grundsätzlich die Sinnhaftigkeit solcher Häppchen-Veröffentlichungen anzweifle, habe ich mich gut unterhalten gefühlt.
Gunner McGrath
The Great Bazaar is a good story and a nice addition to The Warded Man, though it would not work terribly well on its own. Even though it was written after that novel was completed, it still has the feel of a deleted scene, one which reveals a small mystery left open in the original book but is otherwise just a fun little indulgence with no serious purpose.

Arlen is the deleted prologue to The Warded Man which was written far before the rest of the book. I can see why it was removed but it's act...more
Peter
Short and entertaining, this little book gives another glimpse at the world behind The Warded Man and The Desert Spear. There are few new things in here, although we get more background on Abban's story and the ward grimoire is lots of fun - I'm sure it was even better in the Subterranean edition (I unfortunately could only get hold of the ebook version).
Crystal
An entertaining collection of a few stories that were cut from the Warded Man. I can see why they were cut from the book, but I am very glad that they were available for me to read. It is always nice to get a closer look at a story I love.
Colm
Apr 24, 2014 Colm rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Great stuff in the usual vein of Brett's writing. Just nothing dramatic enough to merit four or five stars.
  • Perfect Shadow (Night Angel, #0.5)
  • Leviathan Wept and Other Stories
  • The Girl of Hrusch Avenue
  • Requiem (Psalms of Isaak, #4)
  • The Sea Watch (Shadows of the Apt, #6)
  • The Viscount and the Witch (Riyria Chronicles, #1.5)
  • Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery
  • Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
  • Unfettered
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • A Dance of Death (Shadowdance, #3)
  • Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3)
  • Fortress Frontier (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • Shadow's Lure (Shadow Saga, #2)
Raised on a steady diet of fantasy novels, comic books, and Dungeons & Dragons, Peter V. Brett (“Peat” to his friends) has been writing fantasy stories for as long as he can remember. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature and Art History from the University at Buffalo in 1995, and then spent over a decade in pharmaceutical publishing before returning to his bliss. He live...more
More about Peter V. Brett...
The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1) The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2) The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3) Brayan's Gold (Demon Cycle, #1.5) Malowany człowiek. Księga I (Demoniczny Cykl, #1.1)